Diamondback Mission 2 All Mountain Full Suspension

4.47/5 (17 Reviews)
MSRP : $1999.99

Mission 2 All-mountain capable and ready,The Mission 2 sports a Fox Float RL air fork with 150mm ofTravel, SRAM and Easton componentry, all hanging from a Weapons Grade 6061-T6 aluminum frame.Frame: Mission All Mountain 6" 6061-T6 Weapons Grade Aluminum w/HydroformedTopTube, Butted / Formed DownTube / Seatstays, Under Arch Seatstay bridge,Tapered HeadTube Knuckle BoxTechnology, ISCG, Hammerschmidt Ready Rear Shock: Fox Float RP23 "XV" extra volume 216x63mm Air Fork: Fox 32 Float RL

Submitted by AHUD a Weekend Warrior from COSTA MESA, CA

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2012

Strengths:    BOMBPROOF, FRAME FEELS GREAT, MOSTLY NICE STOCK COMPONENTS, CLIMBS WELL, JUMPS WELL FOR THE WEIGHT, DESCENDS LIKE A BEAST, ALL BLACK-LOOKS BADASS. UPGRADE A FEW THINGS AND YOU HAVE A BIKE THAT CAN COMPETE WITH ANYTHING ELSE

Weaknesses:    NONE CEPT THE SEAT POST AND SEAT CLAMP SUCKS, MINOR SWAP OUT THOUGH.

Bottom Line:
THIS BIKE MAKES ME WANT TO RIDE EVERY CHANCE I GET. IT IS UNBELIEVABLE FOR THE PRICE YOU PAY FOR IT. I HAVE RIDDEN OTHER MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE BIKES AND I WOULD NEVER TRADE THIS BIKE FOR ANY OTHER BIKE EVEN IF YOU PAID ME. DIAMONDBACK STEPPED UP THE BAR WITH THIS BIKE AND THE SCAPEGOAT. ITS FUNNY THAT A LOT OF PEOPLE SEE DIAMONDBACK AS A DEPARTMENT STORE BIKE, I WOULD URGE YOU TO RIDE A MISSION THEN YOU WILL PROBABLY RETHINK THAT. I HAVE NOTHING BAD TO SAY ABOUT THIS BIKE. THE KNUCKLEBOX IS A VERY WELL ENGINEERED SUSPENSION SYSTEM TOO.

Favorite Trail:   SANTIAGO

Purchased At:   USED

Similar Products Used:   SPECIALIZED PITCH, KONA COILAIR

Bike Setup:   DOUBLE HOLZFELLER 24-36, 2.4 TUBELESS MAVIC 819 UP FRONT, 2.3 PROWLER REAR ON SUN, MARZOCCHI 55RV 160MM, FOX RP23, BLACKSPIRE STINGER, EVERYTHING ELSE STOCK

Submitted by gschacht a Weekend Warrior from Portland, OR, USA

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2011

Strengths:    Value, ride, looks, you ride in it, not on it, etc.

Weaknesses:    a bit heavier than I would like - 30 lbs, 10 oz with Conti Mountain King UST 2.4/2.2

Bottom Line:
$540 new frame , including delivery! Most parts were bought on sale - wheels purchased new for $500 plus shipping from Colorado Cyclist. Ride is fantastic - low speed damping with 2011 Float RLC is fantastic. Rear with RP23 /Boost is as good or better than my 2007 Mission with a DHX Air 5.0/small can with much less work setting it up. The picture shows the winter setup for the mud/wet.

Favorite Trail:   Forest Park trails/fire lanes

Purchased At:   BCMULTISPORT

Similar Products Used:   2007 Diamondback Mission 3, 2010 Sortie 2

Bike Setup:   Large, 19 inch - Fox Float FIT, 2011 RLC 150/15mm, Easton Havens, SLX 9 speed double crank, 22/36 with bashguard, SLX front der., XT rear der., XT shifters/brakes, Syncros 90mm/12 degree stem, DH bars - 26.25 X 50 rise, ODI grips, Raceface seatpost, Specialized saddle, Chris King Bottom bracket - now running Hans Dampf tubeless

Submitted by taletotell a Weekend Warrior from Binghamton, NY USA

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2010

Strengths:    Climbs well, smooth descender, long wheelbase is smooth and flowy, great geometry for all mountain and light freeride.

Weaknesses:    The Fox RP23 bottoms out too easy at recommended pressure. It's Hard to get a balance between too stiff and won't bottom out.
Rear hub is not sealed bearing or particularly strong.

Bottom Line:
Wonderful bike for the buck. You sacrifice wheels but get great suspension. It should have come with a bash guard but that's a cheap fix.
The frame feels great, climbs great, absorbs 3ft drops no problem except for bottoming out.
I've taken it to Plattykill ski hill and it performed great. I climb faster than any of my friends except one (who is a weight weenie).

Favorite Trail:   Shindagin Hollow

Purchased At:   Pro Deal through Dic

Similar Products Used:   Kona Dawg, Ironhorse Yakuza Aniki, Trek 4300

Bike Setup:   Stock except: X-0 shifters, e-13 dual ring guide, BBG bash guard, Specialized Enduro sleeve operated adjuster stem, Halo Tornado rear wheel with spindoctor hub.

Submitted by Pock a Weekend Warrior from Wichita Falls TX

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2010

Strengths:    Great Bike. Does everything you could ask for!

Weaknesses:    It is heavy.. but it's honestly in the wheel set and tires.. Remove those and weigh it.. I think you'll be shocked!

Bottom Line:
Fantastic bike! DOes it all without complaint. It is heavy but a nice wheel set and lighter tires would solve the majority of this. Everything works well on this bike. I even raced it once. If you like rough trails and love to go fast downhill this is a great bike.. Jump it, drop it and it even climbs honestly pretty good. Not the fastest bike but that could again be frome the wheels and tires.

Favorite Trail:   Any and all!

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Gaint trance

Submitted by admiral_ackbar's_trap a Weekend Warrior from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2010

Strengths:    strength, knucklebox suspension, value

Weaknesses:    heavy, kinda noisy brakes

Bottom Line:
This bike is a great value (08 models clearance). It is very versatile. Pretty heavy, but not much more than other all mountain rigs.

Favorite Trail:   nascar downhill

Purchased At:   rscycle.com

Submitted by dtsabas a Cross Country Rider from portland

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2010

Strengths:    Great versatility. I upgraded from an XC setup to the Mission. I was worried about the climbing ability because of the slack headtube compared to my old bike. But it does surprisingly well. Great handling on descents. A good value for your buck for sure. Fox fork and shock setup is spot on for this frame/style.

Weaknesses:    Bike is on the Heavy side. Cable routing underneath on the downtube is not so desirable. I immediately swapped out the wheelset cause the oem hubs were garbage.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the price. I would recommend a couple upgrades, mainly the hubs and the the stem.
The knuckle box seems to work very well. All and all i am very please with the bike.

Similar Products Used:   Norco LT 3, Heckler, Reign 1, Slayer 50.

Bike Setup:   fox 150mm ta qr, fox rp2, fsa xc-150 wheels, fire X cranks, fsa bashguard, X9 shifting/derailleurs, Hayes stroker trail, crank bros mallets, gravity light stem, fsa xc 190 bars, Odi grips, easton 50 seatpost, sette rev seat, wtb prowler and stout tires.

Submitted by leondelmonte a Cross Country Rider from Orange CA

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2009

Strengths:    Very strog frame,
suspension is very plush, and responsive
stock parts are decent,
Cool graphics, cool color.
Heavy wellded, you can tell this bike is ready for battle

Weaknesses:    A little heavy, but again, its an all mountain bike, compared to other bikes in the same category with 6" of suspension as the 575, its 1-2 lbs heavier, might improve with carbon parts

Bottom Line:
This bike kicks As_
At first I didnt know what to expect, as we all know diamond back is not know for having high end full suspension bikes such as Santacruz, intense, yeti, and so and so. It is asian made, like 95% of the bikes now days, and oh well

I started by riding it out on the street going up and down sidewalks to get the feel of it before landing on the trail. There I noticed the suspension was pretty nice.
Took it out on the trail the next day, to a trail that helps test stuff well as there are many climbs and great decents with a couple of jumps

Going up:
The bike behaved well not much pedal bob, even though I did not set up the suspension at all, at technical climbs I had no problem making it to the top. Gears worked well.

Going down: I had my first descend, nothing too technical, but enough to tell me the bike wanted more and bigger stuff.
On the second descend, going down switchbacks was no problem, the bike was going where I wanted.

Over jumps the bike behaved well, no complains at all, just wished it had come with the Hammerschmith crank, ahh, but its more money.
I absolutely love this bike, its a keeper, I will be doing some upgrades on it, maybe a Talas 36, and the hammerschmith if I get the money.
I would recommend this bike to anyone that wants a FS bike, I love mine, and for the money you cant beat it, it sure performs as good as all other high end, more expensive bikes
Great Job DB

I know nothing is perfect, but in this case 5 chilis for value, because of the price tag, it cant be beat

Favorite Trail:   Too Many to pick one

Purchased At:   Diamondback.com

Similar Products Used:   Pivot mach5, yeti 575, GT force, GT sanction, Intense tracer vp, Mountain cycle battery

Bike Setup:   2010 Mission 2 with stock components, stroker hayes trail brakes, x9 derrailleur, x7 shifters, truvativ fire x cranks, and all it comes with, Fox RP23 and Float 32 in the front

Submitted by Nubuanbud2 a Weekend Warrior from PA

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2009

Strengths:    Suspension, Parts!

Bottom Line:
I have ridden bikes all my life. From Huffy's to Custom. There has not been one of those bikes that I "wish I never sold". Still have the custome :0) Like others here , this bike does it all and does it all well. I had a chance to buy a Trek EX6 for the same price and passed. Plus, you never see another person with you bike on the trail!

Favorite Trail:   A Trail, Ft. Collins CO

Purchased At:   Uranium Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Specialzed Enduro, K2 F/S

Submitted by noosadave a Weekend Warrior from Noosa Queensland Australia

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2009

Strengths:    Quality componentry,great value "off the rack",pleasure to ride,floats over rocks & logs.

Weaknesses:    Maybee a touch heavy,but can handle heavy punishment so a fair trade.

Bottom Line:
Very happy,its a great allrounder,i mix my ridng a lot and this beast can perform well in all terrain. I can't justify having 3 or 4 different bikes.The Mission ticks all the boxes.

Favorite Trail:   Bloodwood

Purchased At:   Venture Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose Otero.

Bike Setup:   Factory.

Submitted by btroberson1230 a Weekend Warrior from chattanooga, tn

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2009

Strengths:    fox shocks on front and rear

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
ive had it for about 3 weeks and it is a lot of fun to ride. got it cheap b/c it is an '08 model. i just moved up into the world of full suspension so i can't compare it to anything, but this bike seems really tough and for the setup the price cant be beat.

Favorite Trail:   raccoon mountain

Purchased At:   dicks

Similar Products Used:   first full suspension bike

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by DavidNeiles a Cross Country Rider from Chattanooga, TN

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2009

Strengths:    This is a follow up review from the one below. (year later)

This bike is really amazing. I have been riding this bike for close to a year now and have been riding it every week since I got it. I have really fallen in love with the knuckle box design and the bike is bomb proof. I ride some rough trail here in Chattanooga and that is 95% of my riding, 5% urban riding. Very solid component group on it as well. The bike truly rocks and climbs very well. Really can be a versatile bike for XC or DH rides.

Weaknesses:    I honestly can say that there is not one to list.

Bottom Line:
Bottom Line: This is the best buy for your money, period. I have dozens of happy customers who love them as well. Just plain fun to ride and a feeling of bottomless travel. Great durablity and Even better Company(Diamondback). The new 2009 models kick a$$ and all models have fox suspension and even propedal adjustment. Mission 2 & 3 have 15qr!!
If the mission is just too much for your xc types, check out the new 5" sortie bike. Super nice and great price points. The Sortie black is really nice!!
Diamondback.com

If you live near Chattanooga TN, come see me at Dick's!! Missions and Sorties are waiting for YOU there.

Favorite Trail:   Raccoon MTN

Purchased At:   Dick's Sporting Good

Similar Products Used:   Listed below, plus I recently picked up a 09 DB Overdrive Pro which is my first 29er,LOVE IT!!

Bike Setup:   Stock parts except wheel set, tires, seat, grips, pedals.

Submitted by Mtn_roadbiker a Weekend Warrior from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2008

Strengths:    Great handling, good components, very durable. This is a well balanced design that begs you to lean back and forget the breaks! So far the new Stroker line of Hayes breaks are working well, despite Hayes' previous reputation.

Weaknesses:    So far no problems!
The SRAM X.7 rear derailleur is pretty low end - it's too bad the X.9 wasn't stock, much better component.
The off brand front hub has given me no trouble.

Bottom Line:
This is a tough bike that can take abuse! I was looking for a durable all mountain frame after my last one cracked. It seems that many manufacturers are finally starting to beef up their designs to account for rear wheel torque that cracks so many frames near the rear suspension joints.
A bit of history - I was in Moab for some biking and found a number of places selling their demo bikes after less than a season at a huge discount (~50%). That's how I got this bike. It is in great working order, besides a creak in the bottom bracket that I haven't lubed. As you can guess riders really beat these bikes up, and this one was crash scars all over hinting at all sorts of acrobatics (endos, slides, etc). At any rate, the paint job is still in good condition - it is very durable, despite what that other reviewer said. The parts are all in great working order and still look great. Even the rear derailleur shows plenty of scars but works fine for what it is. This is a beefy bike and can take a beating without batting an eye. Some of the other bikes, even the Konas, didn't look like they held up nearly as well. If you want a great bike that sacrifices some weight for durability then this is a great buy!

Favorite Trail:   Matthews/Winters Park

Purchased At:   Uranium Cycles, Moab

Similar Products Used:   ---

Bike Setup:   All stock except Deore rear hub and WTB rear rim.

Submitted by David Neiles a Cross Country Rider from Chattanooga, TN

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2008

Strengths:    Suspension designs and geometry are a perfect setup. Best buy for your money with Fox suspension front and rear. New Hayes Stroker Trail brakes are really nice and easy to setup w/ the speed dial lever reach. climbs very well. Goes downhill scary fast and handles like a dream. LOOKS!!! I purchased the 2008 mission 2, the smooth silver is sexy. Sram shifting is the @#$* !!

Weaknesses:    none really, It does come with platform pedals and DB grips, of course I put on my clipless pedals and some odi lock-ons.

Bottom Line:
This is the best bike I have owned hands down, I have had tons of older high end bikes and the new suspension designs have come a long way,(duh!) Rear supsension is plush and no pedal bob, thanks to the Fox Float R, yes it doesn't have a rear lock out but I think it is silly for a 6" travel ALL MTN bike but the propedal works and work well. The 08 Fox float RL is a beauty, and is silky smooth. But anyway, I have to say being a bike mechanic my self this bike just can't be beat for an all mountain bike at $2000 range. I am only 155lbs and do some real agresive downhilling, but mostly xc riding, for me I consider this my long travel xc rig, but have nothing but complete confidence in this bike railing it down some rough, tight, twisty single track; or hucking off big drops. I do sell this bike at my shop; Dick's Sporting Goods of Chattanooga, and have 2 '07's left for a mere 1799.97(17 and 19 inch frames). And we do sell an amazing extended 3 year warranty for 50 bucks. Covers all PARTS and LABOR and UNLIMITED repairs with 2 complete tune ups. THE BOTTOM LINE: buy this bike if you want to own 1 mtn bike for any riding conditions and can handle a mere 30lbs bike, it doesn't feel heavy when riding, it floats over any thing in your way. This bike truly rocks!!!!! Thanks Diamondback for making a bike that rides better than bikes costing twice as much. Go test ride one today.

Favorite Trail:   Raccoon Mtn

Purchased At:   Dick's Sporting Goods

Similar Products Used:   98 Schwinn moab 2, 98 Schwinn Homegrown Factory 4 banger, 97 Schwinn Homegrown Factory, 2001 Schwinn Homegrown, 2000 Schwinn Rocket 88 stage 2, 04 Tomac Eli, 06 Diamondback custom build coil ex and some other ancient bikes!!

Bike Setup:   Stock 08 mission setup with Shimano clipless pedals, odi lock-on grips, and I put my own Handbuilt wheels(xt hubs laced with 14G DT Swiss to Sun Ringle Rhyno Lites 32 hole), on it and took of the stock wheels. I love the sram x9 x7 group, shifts like butter!!!

Submitted by fringefan a Cross Country Rider from Rapid City SD

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2008

Strengths:    Great suspension design and they did a great job specing the bike out with solid parts except the hubs. Out of the bike it is ready to go with virtually no need for upgrades untill the parts start breaking. Fell in love with the bike after one test ride in Grand Junction.

Weaknesses:    The paint job is crap. If you nick this sucker even the slightest bit you have a scratch in the metal. After 6 month of riding which is only about 1 months worth due to the winter, family, and trying to get the wheel warrantied for over a month, this bike looks older than my homegrown factory which was 12 years old. I loved the way it looked when I bought it so the fact I have no interest in even washing it because it has so many large sratches down to the metal and I have not even had one decent crash on it that I could call a battle scar. I think I would have to wax the thing to even get close to the same shine it had when new.
The hubs are a no name junk hub that was shot after the first real riding I did on it in Moab. Since the bike was shipped to me DB said they would not warranty the hubs which in my opinion is crap. Any company that will not stand behind their product because it was shipped to a buyer looking for a large frame in another part of the country after the season in Nov, knows they are selling an inferior product. The fact that I worked in a shop for 6 years and the bike was technically assembled at the dealer so all I had to do was put on the wheels, seat, and handlebars they use this little clever excuse that is not in any warranty info they include with the bike to save a few bucks. At 33-34 pounds it is not the heaviest but man the snyper and yeti are starting to get me thinking.
Seat post seems to slip no matter how tight I get the collar. The price was right so I can't complain too much but this is exactly why pacific company bikes get a bad rap. I did call the shop I bought it from in CA and he said he would warranty the wheel.

Bottom Line:
Love the design and like almost all of the parts it came with and for the price I paid it was a great deal. I have my doubts about how long the bike will last and the warranty issues should have been made clear in at least one piece of the warranty info. The paint really bums me out. I really like the way the bike rides but this is not a walmart bike so Pacific needs to stop running its highend bike companies the same.

You are gettting a very capable bike but keep in mind that every company trys to cut some costs and they cut costs on this bike with the wheel set and paint job. Also to note that I am 6'3 so this large frame runs bigger than my 21" schwinn homegrown.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim

Purchased At:   IBikes

Similar Products Used:   Yeti 575, Cannondale Prophet, Home Grown Full Factory, Kona Coiler, Specialized Enduro

Bike Setup:   Stock except Thompson laid back seat post and Cane Creek Terros wheel set after the bearing in my old freehub went bad.

Submitted by Johnny a Cross Country Rider from Chattanooga, TN, USA

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2008

Strengths:    Great bike for the money. You get Fox suspension, with Sram x-9 and x-7 and hayes hydraulic brakes, sun rims, The ride is silkly smooth with 6 inches of rear travel that climbs like a goat and go downhill like a dh bike.

Weaknesses:    None, Have a 3 year warranty on all parts and labor with unlimited repairs and 2 free tune ups from Dick's Sporting Goods(cost only $ 50 extra).

Bottom Line:
This is a sick bike for the money, it may not have top of the line everything; but Diamondback put there money where is matters most, suspension and frame design, Knuckle box linkage is one of my favorite designs for FS bikes, I have owned plenty over the years. This bike can be whatever you want, XC, freeride, DH. I plan on upgrading some drivetrain components whenever i wear out what i got, but great bike for under $2000. No other company is doing what DB is for the price and value. Go to Dick's Sporting Goods in Chattanooga and check one out, David is really awesome!! And buy a warranty for 50 bucks!! David; who I knows has more experence and know-how than some other yahoos at the local shops will give you expert info and bike setup you need.

Favorite Trail:   Raccoon Mtn

Purchased At:   Dick's Sporting Goods

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn Homegrown factory, specialized stumpjumper, jamis dakar sport, many others

Bike Setup:   Fox Float RL fork and Fox Float R shock, x7 shifters and x9 rear der. deore front der. Truvativ FireX cranks, Hayes HFX 9 disc brakes w/ 7" front rotor, Easton stem, bar, seatpost. Kenda tires. 2.3

Anyone try a Mission 2.3 on a converted Rush?

I'm looking for a faster rolling tire than a Nevegal for my 650b'd Cannondale Rush. I'm willing to give up a little grip for some more speed. I was looking at the new Kenda Honey Badger 2.2, but from what I've been told, it won't be available for another 2 months. I know the Vee rubber Mission 2.1 ... Read More »

OK Bundle time! 2 Pacenti Rims 2 Mission 650Bx2.10 Tires

Check it out. 2 Pacenti Rims + 2 Vee Rubber Mission 650Bx2.10 Tires for 199.95 Check them out at [url=http://www.My650B.com]My650B.com - Home[/url] Over $41 discount ( Only while supplies last )Read More »

Vee Rubber Mission 650b x 2.1

Has anybody tried one of these yet? I'm curious about quality / performance, but also how the volume and tread height / width compare to the Neo Moto 2.1 & 2.3...... Anyone...... Anyone?Read More »

Where's the Vee Rubber Mission 2.1 tire reviews?

As a rear tire set up tubeless, anyone have objective trail reports on the $35 tire?Read More »

Vee Rubber Mission 2.1 vs Neo Moto 2.1 as a rear tire

Thought I'd throw up this not-so-hard-hitting question. It's a slow morning at the office... Thinking of putting the Vee Rubber Mission 2.1 on the back of my 4" FS instead of my Neo Moto 2.1 which I have on the front. I am a big fan of the neo moto 2.3 and 2.1, but if the Mission does the job it' ... Read More »