Diamondback Mission 1 All Mountain Full Suspension

4.14/5 (22 Reviews)

Mission 1 The Mission 1 is yourTicketTo experiencing Diamondbacks famous Knuckle Box suspension design. Frame: Mission All Mountain 6" 6061-T6 Weapons Grade Aluminum w/HydroformedTopTube, Butted / Formed DownTube / Seatstays, Under Arch Seatstay bridge,Tapered HeadTube, Knuckle BoxTechnology, ISCG, Hammerschmidt Ready Fork: Fox 32 Float RL air, 150mmTravel, open bath, w/ ext. rebound adj. , butted Alloy 1.5Tapered steerer, 32mm Easton aluminum stanchions, magnesium lowers Rear Shock:

Submitted by Sam Robbins

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2014

Strengths:    Descends well and the frame is stiff. I've taken over 4ft drops and it takes the hits well; that is saying a lot because I weight 230 lbs on a good day. It's a solid bike for us big boys and DB has been good to me on the warranty. I must have gotten a lemon and broke the frame in 6 months. DB sent me a brand new frame and paid for all the work to swap out all of the components. I also warrantied the seat-stay and DB didn't give me any trouble. I can't say the same for the bike shop I've had to work with.

Weaknesses:    Many people complain about the bike being heavy, but like I said, I weigh 230 lbs on a good day, so I can't complain about a bike that weighs a couple more pounds than other similar bikes. Needs a dropper seat. Also the brakes are squeaky buy I don't notice that on the single track.

Bottom Line:
I felt like I needed to write a review for bigger guys looking for a new bike. You can't take advice too seriously for 160 and 170 lbs guys that work at a bike shop. They will never understand how often big athletic guys break our bikes. Next time I will buy two bikes so I always have a bike to ride when I have to warranty a frame.

Unfortunately, I live 2.5 hours from the nearest DB dealer so warranty issues are a pain. On the other hand, I've been able to work directly with the DB warranty department. I've emailed them pics and video and they shipped the seat-stay directly to me.

Favorite Trail:   Captain Ahab

Duration Product Used:   less than a year

Purchased At:   Promotive

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rock Hopper and Rocky Mountain Element

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Philip McCombie a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2013

Strengths:    A versatile bike & good value.

Weaknesses:    TORA 318 front fork in inadequate for jumps & steep downhill runs.

Bottom Line:
I consider the color of the bike as battleship grey - so I figure the bike is more military than sporting. Easy enough to ride on the pavement, easy enough to ride on the beach at low tide. It will go up hills & won't break on rough tracks. It won't win a sporting event but it might win the war. If you want bling then get yourself some gold teeth & earrings.

Duration Product Used:   5 years

Price Paid:    $1939.00

Purchased At:   Sydney

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose ECD, Norco Atomik, Mongoose Otero, Mongoose Tyax

Submitted by bryantaber a Weekend Warrior from Southeast, Mass

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2011

Strengths:    This is for just the Mission frame. I bought the frame for 400.00 practically new. I upgraded from the Float R to the RP2 w/ lockout and added a 6inch RS Revelation 150mm for the front. The bike pedals so unbelievable. My previous bike was a Giant Trance 4.2 inch travel. This bike pedals just as good as the maestro suspension. After I added some Iodine wheels to lighten the centifals spin and the overall weight, this bike really came alive. I LOOOOVE riding this bike now. I have opted out of some DH trips to do some trail riding. Very agressive on the downhills and bike is such a great climber now. Get the lockout options if you have the oppurtunity. Makes a big difference.Also if you can get a hydraulic seatpost. I use the air charged command post. sort of a long frame so I use a 60mm stem instead of the 70/90mm they come with stock. More agressive for the decents.

Weaknesses:    Just a little flexy in the rear. Tends to be a little noisey with the chain slap.

Bottom Line:
I looooooove this bike as a frameset then built up with my own choice of parts. Great value. These frames are almost identical to the much more expensive commencal meta 5.5. The meta and mission are almost identical in terms of performance. My buddy has one. He paid 4500.00 for one whereas the Mission msrp is about 2100.00 specd he same.

Favorite Trail:   Wompatuck

Purchased At:   pinkbike

Similar Products Used:   Giant Trance.

Bike Setup:   Mission w/ RP2 w/ lockout. Revelation 150mm, Iodine wheelset, Command post. Gamut p-20 single ring 32t, shimano xt hydro m755/800 brakeset. XT crankset.

Submitted by RedBack a Weekend Warrior from Santa Cruz

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2011

Strengths:    Price, front and rear shocks.

Weaknesses:    wheels: bent on my 5th ride
stem: striped out on my 3rd ride
chain: lasted 6 months
rear tire: not much grip in anything but packed dirt or assault, but good for climbing.

Bottom Line:
This being my first mountain bike i love it. It climbs, it descends, it grips, it corners, and it soaks up jumps and drops. Worth the money i paid for it, but i regret not getting the mission 2, because as i broke things i ended up building a mission 2, but i have no lock out on the front fork. despite that i love the bike, and grow to love it more and more as my ability grows i keep being surprised as what the thing can take and how much i can push.

Favorite Trail:   Brail

Purchased At:   mikes bike of los ga

Bike Setup:   sun dj wheel set, race face stem, easton monkey light DH carbon bar. ODI lock on grips. sram 971 chain.

Submitted by grantw9066 a Weekend Warrior from Sanger, Texas, USA

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2010

Strengths:    Sweet suspension design. Very good climber for the travel and weight. Awesome descender! Decent spec except for the wheels, but I guess they had to save money somewhere.

Weaknesses:    Stock Wheels are crap! No eyelets in the rims, spoke tension way too loose, and hubs felt like they were built without bearing grease. Toss the wheels quickly after purchasing. The weight is fine for an all-mountain bike, low 30's.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike! I have never felt this confident when riding. Highly recommended all-mountain design, great pedaler, even better descender.

Favorite Trail:   Big Cedar Wilderness Trails

Similar Products Used:   Giant Warp DS, Gary Fisher Cake DLX, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR

Bike Setup:   Upgraded to Sun Singletrack Wheeels, everything else stock. Fox Vanilla R, Hayes Stroker Ryde, Sram X5/7 components, Fox RP2, Prowler MX tires.

Submitted by Traileddy a Weekend Warrior from California

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2010

Strengths:    Bike frame is very well built and sturdy. Knuckle box suspension offers great low center of gravity and handles great downhill.

Weaknesses:    A little an the heavy side. However swipe out some components to lose some weight.

Bottom Line:
Great price for what you get, but I wanted to customize this bike for my riding purposes. My mission can take tough hits on the trail and offers a generous 6 inches of travel front and rear. I wish DB would offer different built kits and colors for the frames like other companies due. Overall I'm pleased with my purchase and how the bike handles.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere in the mountains

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   Performance

Bike Setup:   Upgraded with 2011 Fox Talas 150mm RLC, Roval all mountain wheels with DT Swiss internals, and of course Avid Elixir CR Mags and a few other odds and ends......handlebars, pedals, grips, seat post clamp etc.......

Submitted by bikeguy22 a Cross Country Rider from NOVA

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2010

Strengths:    climbs well, great control going down, fast, fun...

Weaknesses:    a bit heavy but it's a diamondback. frames are just heavier, so is life

Bottom Line:
i love this bike. cheers to db for an awesome machine. this bike is alot of fun to ride and soaks up drops and jumps. it climbs well and i have been able to lighten it up some. going down is a blast. stock setup is great for the money. i've put some good money into it but itis well worth it. happy they went with the fox over the rock shox. love the knucklebox susp. platform!! no brake jack under hard braking. i would recomnd this bike to anyone looking to get into FS bikes, also to anyone looking for a great backup. get out and have a blast with this thing.

Favorite Trail:   laurel hill

Similar Products Used:   DB sortie

Bike Setup:   van 32 fork, fox RP2 rear shock, easton monkeylite xc bars, easton havoc stem, race face evolve dh crank w/ drive platform peddals, azonic outlaw wheels, wtb weirwolf tires, hayes strokers, x9 shifters/ RD, sram 980 cassette, 971 chain, race face deuce seatpost

Submitted by ifstewart a Weekend Warrior from Honolulu

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2010

Strengths:    Price, Frame

Weaknesses:    Stock components are weak, but it is an entry level bike

Bottom Line:
A decent starting place if you're not sure if you are into mountain biking. I have broken or bent just about everything stock on the bike, but I kick the crap out of it regularly. I am totally happy with it, I don't mind upgrading parts as I break them because I feel like the frame is worth it. I ride with other people on different makes and I have no problem keeping up with anyone. I even raced in in a downhill, but I don't recommend that (it can't keep up with a true downhill bike, you will hurt yourself if you try). Overall, this is a great value, I am super stoked that I bought it, and I recommend it to anyone who is on a budget or is unsure if they want to get totally into mountain biking!

Bike Setup:   Shimano SLX Cranks, Rockshox Team Dual Air, Specialized Command Post, ODI Lock ons

Submitted by shawn votruba a Weekend Warrior from grand junction, colorado, u.s.a.

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2010

Strengths:    this bike climbs like a hardtail, corners on rails, and descends like a beast

Bottom Line:
with this bike i have won a few all mountain races but it will also climb with the hardtails, take 7 foot wheelie drops, compete on a slopestyle course, and just kill the competition everywhere. its a fast bike that can take anything. you should buy it if you like bikes that feel nicely raked out but you want something that climbs like mad also.

Purchased At:   the bike shop

Similar Products Used:   c-dale rize 3

Bike Setup:   fox van 36 fork, dhx 5.0 shock, Mavic crossmax wheelset, easton monkeylite dh bars, xo short cage, hammerschmidt am, holzfeller stem

Submitted by nath69 a Weekend Warrior from Sydney Australia

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2010

Strengths:    Well Balanced bike, felt very comfortable and stable on any technical trails, Good stand over, Looked good.

Weaknesses:    Short factory seat post. Low BB causing cranks to hit rocks occassionally - change riding style. Huge forces on frame where knuckle box pivits.

Bottom Line:
Loved this bike for all mountain use.
Sadly the frame cracked where the Swing arm (see knucklebox pivot) is mounted to frame. Hoping warranty claim comes through but sadly may not be able to get Mission frame through current importer.

Similar Products Used:   Haro, Raceline, Norco VPS, Raleigh Ram XT3500.

Bike Setup:   Factory until parts break (except seat post).

Submitted by eshullett a Weekend Warrior from Las Vegas, NV (us)

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2009

Strengths:    So far everything but the fork. I did watch a friend go down hard and brake off the brake lever.

Weaknesses:    The tora 302 is not I say again is not made for any kind of jumps or drops. Other then that nothing, now just upgrading things to shave some weight.

Bottom Line:
I am very happy with this bike. Its strong and can take a beating(not the fork). If you are new to f/s bikes this is a good bike to buy and upgrade as you go. The bike has good handling and is smooth(after you change the fork).

Favorite Trail:   Bootleg

Similar Products Used:   Hardtails

Bike Setup:   Still upgrading

Submitted by X_er a Weekend Warrior from Newhall, CA

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2009

Strengths:    Bought as frameset only (came with headset and Fox Float R shock). Besides the great price, I bought this frame for it's overall great reviews from publications and owners. Everything said is true. A fantastic handling all mountain/X-country handling bike that can hold its own while decending a moderate downhill. DB did its homework on this frame design. While it soaks up the hits with its low center of gravity and moderate 6 inch travel suspension hardware (rear), it's still a descent climber. A nice looking package that I would highly recommend.

Weaknesses:    Weight is the only thing I can thick of. BUT, for a mass-produced frame, that's such a small issue. And it's one that you really don't feel when riding it.

Bottom Line:
It soaks up the hits with its low center of gravity and moderate 6 inch travel suspension hardware (rear), it's still a descent climbing and x-country bike. A nice looking package that I would highly recommend!

Favorite Trail:   Any (esp with lots o' trees)

Purchased At:   ediscountbike.com

Fox Float RLC 32 140mm
Fox Float R Shock

Submitted by LynnMAmtnbiker a Weekend Warrior from Mssachusetts

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2009

Strengths:    Looks great
Great on descents
Climbs well for the travel.
I use it for downhill quite a bit and have had nothing but positives.
comes with great parts..

Weaknesses:    weight.. 34 lbs.. has its advantages on downhill it eats up the descents and handles any terrain with ease.. but when not at the MTB park it can be a little heavy on climbs.. i dont really have any complaints but i could see where a little lighter bike would benefit me in the back woods climbing etc. i would not want it too light however. definitely worth a demo dont let the weight turn you away. i love this bike.

Bottom Line:
This bike will blow your mind and especially for the price, the stock setup is great.. i keep thinking i want to change something out of boredome but have no complaints or reasons to do so. I saw a couple of reviews that did not do this bike justice so i had to give it a proper review.. this bike is great i have had no issues with it i ride it quite a bit and quite hard. I use it at the park for downhill as well as in the local woods and have no issue with this bike in either regard. love the way it looks as well.

Favorite Trail:   Downhill trails

Purchased At:   Ediscountbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   A trek and a kona both demod.

Bike Setup:   2007 stock setup.

Submitted by back2ujim a Weekend Warrior from San Francisco, CA

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2009

Strengths:    Super plush pedalable bike, affordable, Propedal shock, nice pivot hardware, durable wheels, Hayes hydro disc brakes, Deore/XT shifting.

Weaknesses:    Overall weight, Rockshox TORA 318 fork, no shock lockout

Bottom Line:
This is a bike you can ride to the top of a mountain with enough left in the tank to take advantage of a frame that dares you to push it on the descents. In order for me to take advantage of this bikes Fox Propedal shock and actually ride this bike I had to get a longer post, as the stock one is pretty short, kinda silly not to advantage of the uninterrupted seattube. Pedals great seated, out of saddle gets mushy, but come on, six inch bike. The fork on mine started making horrible clicking sounds on my second ride. Rockshox crap. I have had terrible luck with their products and service over the years. I got a bro deal on a Fox(which all the new ones come with), and couldnt be happier. If you have the money, spring for the higher end models with lockout and a little less weight, but this bike can rip for under 2G.