Craft FRX All Mountain Full Suspension

4.86/5 (7 Reviews)

Submitted by Madadzy a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2014

Strengths:    Great frame, strong, stiff and excellent geometry.(PRICE) The stability through the turns and landing of jumps is unbelievable compared the my old Giant reign its also much nicer to climb on in the saddle its also lighter and more responsive.

Weaknesses:    The only issue is the 135x12 rear axle it makes the rear triangle super stiff it has been difficult to find rear hubs I am lucky I had some old Nuke proof wheels laying around so I converted those.

Bottom Line:
The difference between this bike and my Giant reign is astounding the Craftworks feels alive when coming down tight steep single track and over jumps etc. With respect to this bike I just swapped my running gear over so its not a component upgrade just a frame swap and I am so happy with this bike I am glad I did not spend three time's more on an brand name frameset. My component list is as follows Fox 36 talas forks, Saint brakes,pedals and cranks, xo 9 speed, single ring front, Geax lobo loco's 2.35 F & R so not an amazing spec but on this frame it just works. A few people have ridden this bike as they have not heard of them and after spending a lot more money on their bikes and have walk away in shock at its speed and stability. After coming of a maestro suspension system I do not find the single pivot an issue I actually enjoy the direct feel you get from it I have bought a new Monarch coil shock for it but I am tossing up wether use it or not as the air shock tune is really good. To give you an idea of how much I enjoy this bike I also own a Giant trance sl carbon 26" all top of the range xtr and fox running gear and running ENVE rims and king hubs it weighs just on 10 kgs. The Trance is fast but my Craftworks is my ride of choice I am even contemplating selling the trance and run the ENVE's on my Craftworks.
As an ex BMX,Track and Power lifter the stiffness in this frame and rear triangle is amazing. The feedback and customer service you receive from the guys at Craftworks is second to none I cant wait for a 650b version and I am saving for a down hill frame.
Give this bike a try its worth a ride I am happy I took the gamble when I bought it.

Favorite Trail:   You Yangs boulder run & track 13.

Purchased At:   craftworkscycles.com

Similar Products Used:   Giant Reign, Giant Trance sl carbon. Santa Cruz Nomad cr.

Bike Setup:   Fox Talas 36,Shimano Saint cranks, Brakes and Pedals SRAM XO 9 speed 34-12, Hope single ring 36T.Geax Lobo Loco's 2.35"

Submitted by Phrysmicplasta a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2013

Strengths:    Stiff, jumping, geometry, stable yet very chuckable, FUN! Strong and simple construction. Cheap to own & maintain. Climbs like a hard tail, descends like a mini DH bike, jumps like a 4x bike.

Weaknesses:    Single pivot struggles under brakes through braking bumps, rock gardens etc. You will get beat up if you are a lazy rider. Paint chips easily and rubs off. Possibly not the best looking bike out there.

Bottom Line:
Yet to hear of one of these cracking. I bought it for this reason as my previous frame cracked. Definitely rewards aggressive riding. Mine is a 2010. Geometry still pretty close to a 2014 Stumpjumper Evo. Seat tube angle is steeper tho which helps get the weight over the front for climbing. I've ridden it from 120-160mm and it performs great throughout the range. If you like wheelies/manuals, jumping and popping off stuff and are generally riding to have fun this bike is perfect. Great one bike to do it all. Attack everywhere to get the most out of it. Your riding and fitness will improve with this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Anything in Rotorua

Duration Product Used:   40 hours so far

Purchased At:   2nd hand in std form

Similar Products Used:   Iron Horse MK3, Norco Manik, Specialized Stumpjumper, Trek Fuel EX8

Bike Setup:   Size Large frame. I am 6 foot. Lyrik 120-160 fork, 1x10 Shimano Zee+ w XT cranks & brakes. Mavic 721 rims, High Roller super tacky 2.35, A2Z hubs. 40mm stem 740mm bars. KS dropper. Ready to rumble!

Submitted by ssb2005 a Weekend Warrior from South Australia

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2010

Strengths:    Incredibly stiff frame for a single pivot and a very chuckable and fun bike.

Weaknesses:    Cable routing damages the paint very quickly if protection isnt applied.

Bottom Line:
This bike is the perfect trail bike for just about anything in SA, I wanted something lighter to add to the stable next to my Kolly and one ride on the FRX I was sold, great value for money, more fun and more bang for you buck than specialized etc.
It jumps well, flys over rocks, cimbs hard with minimal bob and is stiff as a board.

Favorite Trail:   Dodging bullets

Purchased At:   OTE

Similar Products Used:   Orbea Occam, Knolly D-T

Bike Setup:   Large FRX v2 frame, Carbon Six bars, Elixir CR's, 10speed XT cranks, ergon grips.

Submitted by craftworks750 a Weekend Warrior from Adelaide, Australia

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2009

Strengths:    The frame is one solid unit. Nice looking (aka SC Heckler) single pivot easy to maintain. This frame can do way more than i'm able to do and its one frame that can do it all.
Dessigned here in adelaide so its an Australian bike.

Weaknesses:    The paint flakes off from stone chips and around tightened bolts but its not going to the show and shine thats for sure, and not what mtb'ing is about so its not an issue.

Bottom Line:
Im very happy with this bike it has pushed me forward in my riding ability or just makes up for how bad i am. Climbs very well for a FS bike and absolutely bombs the down hill sections, begging me to find more downward runs which i enjoy a hell of alot more these days than back on the hardtail. Any issue i have had, i have been able to contact the designer (Robert Crafter) and meet him which gives me even more faith in the bike which you dont need but is there.

Well if you want a true All Mountain bike look no further as you have foun it. THE CRAFTWORKS FRX.

Favorite Trail:   Fox Creek, Bennets, Sneak in some Anstey's hill

Purchased At:   bicycle express

Similar Products Used:   specialised enduro, Haro 8.3 escape hardtail.

Bike Setup:   I brought the frame and fork only as i didnt really want avid and sram stuff. I did demo the full spec bike and the only stuff i really wanted was the suspension so I saved some cash and stripped the Haro

XT gears and shifters with middleburn oilers, Rock Shox revalation and monarch 3.3 suspension, FSA stem and headset, Azonic b-52 bars, hayes nine brakes with goodridge braided lines, WTB speed disc wheels (for now anyway), Kenda 2.35 blue groove up front and a Maxxis ignitor out back.

Submitted by d@no a Weekend Warrior from Adelaide

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2008

Strengths:    Bike strength and relative weight. Feels like a real sturdy rig yet still very responsive and nimble.

Solid through long sweeping fast turns and nimble enough to flick the back around on the tighter more techy turns.

Great climber also. Can ride all day with static seat position (on previous bikes I have been known to adjust seat height during some sections of the trail)

Weaknesses:    Group set. Having been a Shimano purist all my riding career I seem to be experiencing some separation anxiety from what I know (have run XT/XTR in the past). I feel however that this is phase and I will come around. While this is not a major criticism of the bike in general, SRAM is different kit and as such, required a bit of re-ned-ucation in order to get gear changes smooth and also braking firmness right in the levers.

Bottom Line:
Great all round free rider. Like most crew that I know of I only ride between 2-3 times a week (on a good week) and when I do I like to have a "go anywhere" rig. Have taken my FRX down DH traks and also spent many km's pushing around techy XC traks.

Very happy. I think this the start of a beautiful friendship.

Favorite Trail:   Bennet's

Purchased At:   Adelaide bike store

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Profit. However. FRX feels more tough and is certainly more reasonably priced.

Bike Setup:   Geometry is sweet. Nice and relaxed when cruising, very comfortable to climb and travels well through the air (not that I am known for wicked air time but it seems to be very well balanced when both tires are off the dirt)

Submitted by Mark a Weekend Warrior from Adelaide, South Australia

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2008

Strengths:    Lovely plush ride with a strong and solid feel on the trail. Feels bigger than it is, which is good for me (6'3" - 220lbs). Locks up for the roads to and from trails and this helps when struggling home after an epic.

Weaknesses:    None so far, but I have put a 2.4" Kenda up front to help in the rocky trails and this has made a magic ride better. The longer top tube may feel large for shorter riders, so size carefully - only medium and large frames so far - however the Large is perfect for my 6'3" - and with seat dropped and slid forward, my 12yo loves it as well - so the yare pretty versatile. Stock Maxxis tyres are 2.1 and race oriented rather than epic.

Bottom Line:
Am pumped with the FRX, it feels much stronger and tougher than the 13kgs suggest. Takes a hammering from a genuine clydesdale - 3 epic rides to date and nothing busted yet. Plus my 12yo daughter drops the seat and rides it to the local jump park - thinks it looks cooler than my old 'dale. Buy one if you want to be comfortble and hassle free on long weekend rides - my first time back on RockShox suspension since my '93 Cadex and they have come a LONG way.

Favorite Trail:   Yarrabilla Trail - Adelaide Hilla

Purchased At:   Bicycle Express

Similar Products Used:   Jamis XLT2, Cannondale Prophet, M1000 and Super V.

Bike Setup:   Stock with 2.4" Kenda up front. SRAM X-9 throughout and Mavic wheels are tough and light.

Submitted by kayell a Cross Country Rider from australia

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2008

Strengths:    Really balenced handling, stiff out of the saddle though the bb area so sprints wickedly. Perfect trail bike - decends awesomely, climbs like an xc bike The CNC work is a piece of art - super clean - havent seen anything like this! Not one thing i would change with the spec except saddle.

Weaknesses:    The saddle is super comfy but a little to wide to get back behind when it is steep. Needs to come with a chain stay protector.

Bottom Line:
This the one bike to do it all, it climbs, handling really shines when things get rough and aggessive. I would race it in xc and do the triple DH class as well!!It feels perfectly weighted when catching air. The bike begs you to ride harder and faster. If you want something a bit different and special this is it!

Similar Products Used:   Giant VT1, Cannondale Prophet 2000, Intense Spider EVP.

Bike Setup:   Stock except Fizik Gobi saddle and Shimano DX pedals

anyone ride a canyon torque frx?

hey guys, any one on a canyon torque frx??? just wondering what they are like and how they go size wise. I am wondering as looking for a 2nd bike for DH riding and seems to be a prtty good deal on a 2009 model. only thing is as far as i can tell they dont have a shop that you can actually go in ... Read More »

mavic 721, arrow frx or some other suggestions??

I am putting together a new wheelset for my 4x do all ht. Fork is going to be fox float rlc 15mm TA front hub is a Hadley 32h rear is going to be an azonic 36h what is the best rim for strength but not boat anchors. Any other suggestions?Read More »

mavic 721, arrow frx or something else????

Specialized Enduro Sl vs Foes 2:1 frx

I am looking at two new bikes the Specialized Enduro Sl Expert FSR and the Foes 2:1 FXR. Both have 6" suspension. I live in houston, texas so we have no mountains, but the trails have alot of roots and rocks all singletrack, with some good climbs for a inner city trail. I ride very aggresive and ju ... Read More »

Arrow racing frx ?

I want to buy a set of arrow racing frx rims, the only problem is that they are 28 mm wide, am i going to have a problem running these rims with my 2.8 michelin front tire and 2.5 minion rear tire. Also are these good rims.Read More »