Cannondale RZ One Forty Carbon 2 All Mountain Full Suspension

• Chain: KMC X9 CP 9-speed
  • Rear Cogs: SRAM PG-970, 11-34

Submitted by Trevor Poth a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2015

Strengths:    Exceptionally fast & fun trail bike, very light, amazing all mountain suspension and handling. This bike will leave you with a smile after every ride and will make your buddy's sweat to keep up with you.

Weaknesses:    My previous review (2011) identified a weak chain stay as an issue. Following the replacement in 2012, I did not have another problem with this part and with the amount of intense riding that I did, it stood up every time.

Bottom Line:
After owning this bike for 5 years, I am finally selling it (replaced with a Cannondale Trigger Carbon 2... the new version of this bike). My RZ One Forty Carbon 2 has been to dozens of races including the BC Bike Race, 24-hours of Adrenaline, numerous adventure races and Bow 80. It has not only been a great race bike but my travel bike that has taken me to Moab, Whistler, Fernie, Banff/Canmore and across the Rockies.

I cannot say enough good things about this bike. It climbs better and faster than most xc race bikes and is smooth and responsive on all technical XC & AM trails. This bike set lap times 20-25% faster than my scalpel and made rooty, rough and technical terrain so fun to ride.

Over the years, I replaced many parts: seals, bearings, rings, chains pads, shifter pods, and in 2015, I replaced the fork with a Lefty Max Carbon PBR. All of these replacements are normal wear and tear and were not unexpected.

I would recommend this bike to anyone who is looking for a bike to handle everything from XC trails to technical AM. It is not intended to be an extreme free-ride, dirt jump or downhill bike but can certainly handle elements of these types of riding.

Favorite Trail:   Test of Metal - Squamish

Duration Product Used:   5 years

Purchased At:   Wipe Out Ski & Bike

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Scalpel 800, Cannondale Trigger Carbon 2, Rocky Mountain ETSX50.

Bike Setup:   Pretty much stock with upgraded Lefty Carbon PBR fork, Bontrager XR4 Team issue tires, dropper post, Selle Italia seat.

Submitted by Trevorp a Cross Country Rider from Red Deer, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2011

Strengths:    The travel/weight ratio, specifications, flashy red frame and the fact that I loved Cannondale

Weaknesses:    Weak rear linkage/ triangle; - See the bottom line
Really weak FSA chainrings - needed to be replaced after 3 gentle rides; and
Cannondale Customer Service and warrantee delays

Bottom Line:
I have been a huge Cannondale advocate since I began racing bikes and adventure racing over a decade ago. After a long love affair with my Scalpel, it came time to buy a new bike. The Scalpel served me well even though the needle bearing migration drove me a bit crazy. The Scalpel got me through many miserable and thrilling endurance races but consistently needed a repair or two after every event. I expected this as the bike was intended as an ultra-lite XC monster.

When it came time to replace the Scalpel, I researched the heck out of my choices and decided that I would upgrade to a light all mountain bike...compromising some xc performance for some durability especially because the abuse a bike takes in an adventure race. In the end, the RZ One Fourty Carbon 2 seemed like the best choice...the reviews outcompeted the 120...which was the logical marathon choice.

I purchased the bike late last fall 2010 and got 2 rides in before the snow. Both rides were in town on some mellow single track along the river valley. After a winter of drooling to get out and ride and countless hours on my basement trainer, I rode the carbon 2 to work as soon as the snow cleared from the sidewalks. After the first ride, I cleaned the bike and noticed that the main pivot mount on the rear triangle was cracked. After a few profanities I took a breath and called my bike shop. They confirmed that the bike would likely be covered under warrantee and told me to bring it in. After dropping the bike off, I was told that it would take between 4 weeks and 6 months for Cannnondale to "re-manufacture" the rear triangle..."WHAT - 6 MONTHS! IN CANADA WITHOUT A BIKE AFTER SPENDING FOUR GRAND!". After my bike shop did some negotiating with Cannondale, they told me that they may be able to get a temporary replacement part in the next couple of weeks and I could use that until the rear triangle is re-manufactured. Currently 4 weeks without my bike and counting!

I am very frustrated with Cannondale as they have not returned my emails. I am really concerned with the strength and durability of the new Cannondale products and am desperately hoping that the bike is close to bomb proof with the new rear triangle. Needless to say, my expectation is that a bike fo this value and quality should not fail in the first 3 rides and that no bike company should take 6 months (of a 4 month Canadian summer) to get a warrantee repair complete unless they are going to give me a similar bike as a demo while the work is taking place.

Honestly, I am hopefull that my problems will end and after I ride this bike for an entire summer and perhaps once I put it through its paces and perhaps a few races, I will be a strong Cannondale advocate again.

At present, I cannot recommend this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Back Door & Killer Bees - Canmore Nordic Centre