Cannondale RZ One Forty Carbon 2 All Mountain Full Suspension

• Chain: KMC X9 CP 9-speed
  • Rear Cogs: SRAM PG-970, 11-34

Submitted by Trevorp a Cross Country Rider from Red Deer, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2011

Strengths:    The travel/weight ratio, specifications, flashy red frame and the fact that I loved Cannondale

Weaknesses:    Weak rear linkage/ triangle; - See the bottom line
Really weak FSA chainrings - needed to be replaced after 3 gentle rides; and
Cannondale Customer Service and warrantee delays

Bottom Line:
I have been a huge Cannondale advocate since I began racing bikes and adventure racing over a decade ago. After a long love affair with my Scalpel, it came time to buy a new bike. The Scalpel served me well even though the needle bearing migration drove me a bit crazy. The Scalpel got me through many miserable and thrilling endurance races but consistently needed a repair or two after every event. I expected this as the bike was intended as an ultra-lite XC monster.

When it came time to replace the Scalpel, I researched the heck out of my choices and decided that I would upgrade to a light all mountain bike...compromising some xc performance for some durability especially because the abuse a bike takes in an adventure race. In the end, the RZ One Fourty Carbon 2 seemed like the best choice...the reviews outcompeted the 120...which was the logical marathon choice.

I purchased the bike late last fall 2010 and got 2 rides in before the snow. Both rides were in town on some mellow single track along the river valley. After a winter of drooling to get out and ride and countless hours on my basement trainer, I rode the carbon 2 to work as soon as the snow cleared from the sidewalks. After the first ride, I cleaned the bike and noticed that the main pivot mount on the rear triangle was cracked. After a few profanities I took a breath and called my bike shop. They confirmed that the bike would likely be covered under warrantee and told me to bring it in. After dropping the bike off, I was told that it would take between 4 weeks and 6 months for Cannnondale to "re-manufacture" the rear triangle..."WHAT - 6 MONTHS! IN CANADA WITHOUT A BIKE AFTER SPENDING FOUR GRAND!". After my bike shop did some negotiating with Cannondale, they told me that they may be able to get a temporary replacement part in the next couple of weeks and I could use that until the rear triangle is re-manufactured. Currently 4 weeks without my bike and counting!

I am very frustrated with Cannondale as they have not returned my emails. I am really concerned with the strength and durability of the new Cannondale products and am desperately hoping that the bike is close to bomb proof with the new rear triangle. Needless to say, my expectation is that a bike fo this value and quality should not fail in the first 3 rides and that no bike company should take 6 months (of a 4 month Canadian summer) to get a warrantee repair complete unless they are going to give me a similar bike as a demo while the work is taking place.

Honestly, I am hopefull that my problems will end and after I ride this bike for an entire summer and perhaps once I put it through its paces and perhaps a few races, I will be a strong Cannondale advocate again.

At present, I cannot recommend this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Back Door & Killer Bees - Canmore Nordic Centre