Cannondale Rize 4 All Mountain Full Suspension

4.7/5 (33 Reviews)

The Rize is the Swiss Army knife of the trail bike world. It's a bike that brings all-new metalforming technology to the industry, and combines it with carbon-fiber fabrication techniques. It uses a dreamy-riding multi-pivot suspension with 130mm of balanced travel. The means that riders can use it as a do-it-all rig, whether you're riding notoriously gnarly rock gardens in the Northeast or the gently rolling foothills of the inter-mountain West.

Submitted by outofdoors a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2012

Strengths:    Climbs very well. Lots of travel for relatively light weight. Great suspension components.

Weaknesses:    Flexy rear, flexy wheels. Almost feels like too much travel for the frame's stiffness.

Bottom Line:
This bike has been great for the three years I've owned it. It climbs superbly for how much travel it has. The propedal really makes a difference with this suspension design and being able to lock out the fork for road climbs is great. There is lots of suspension for medium size drops and really rough sections of trail. The fox components are extremely adjustable and so far very durable. While the bike feels very stiff from a climbing perspective, when going through rough sections like rock gardens, you can feel the rear end getting tossed around quite a bit. I'm not sure if this flex is from chain or seat stays or from the linkage. The Hayes brakes have been adequate for my usage and only occasionally do I feel that I need more power. I would definitely buy this bike again as it allows me to tackle steeper and rougher riding as well as mellow cross country trails.

Favorite Trail:   Preston RR trail

Duration Product Used:   3 years

Purchased At:   Cannondale

Bike Setup:   Stock.

Submitted by RBowles a Cross Country Rider from Roanoke Virginia

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2011

Strengths:    Climbs well, lighweight, good crank and shifters. Soaks up rocks and roots like they aren't there at all. All in all, a very elegant and nimle bike for the price.

Weaknesses:    Maxis ridgeline tires have no buisiness on this bike. The wtb wheelset is kind of iffy at best. I taco'd my rear wheel in less than three months of riding. (Replaced with stan's ztr arch's) Every few months I have to check the pivot bolts on the chainstay as they tend to loosen up from day after day of really hard riding. This is no big deal to me, and I consider it routine maintenance to check all fastners on my bikes every so often. One other area of not is the abbreviated cable housing to the rear deraileur. With this setup, shifting was very sticky. I replaced the cable set up with a good quality set and have experienced no more issues.

Bottom Line:
This bike is very good for the price. I have ridden it nearly four times a week since I brought it home. I ride pretty hard and some small components do fail in harsh conditions. This is no surprise to me, considering that I'm two hundred pounds and hammer the living hell out of this bike. If it were lost or stolen, I'd purchase another cannondale rize/rz 4 in a second!

Favorite Trail:   Carvins cove

Purchased At:   Just The Right Gear

Bike Setup:   Stan's ztr arch tubeless wheelset w/ maxxis ignitors. Stram chain and bontrager saddle.

Submitted by gordo a Cross Country Rider from Boise, ID, USA

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2011

Strengths:    For the XL frame size and style of frame--with 4 inches of travel this is a light bike--on a professional scale, after adding heavier components to it my bike still weighs in at 29 lbs. I feel very little wasted energy--transfers my input well to the rear wheel and the Fox RP2 shock is great for that. Who needs a specialized "brain" or any other gadget when you have propedal? This bike just fit me right from the first ride and although it is heavier than my previous XC bike, it just performs better for me and gives me the versatility to get into more gnarly stuff with confidence and ease.

Weaknesses:    On steep, technical climbs the relaxed head tube angle can make it a challenge to wrangle but with the right touch it is totally manageable--in fact with the geometry of the frame, I can actually stand up and get on this bike in climbs that I would've had to sit down for on my old bike.

Bottom Line:
I got this as a late model clearance (2009) in an XL frame size--the 2011's are costing about 2200 to 2400 with very comparable components (upgraded, but not vastly improved) and very little change overall. I'm super happy with the value of this purchase and at first I thought that was as far as it went, but if I had to spend 600 bucks more for it I believe I would still have been happy with it. It does XC very well and it's got plenty of room for bigger stuff with 4 inches of travel--there have been some technical climbs and drops that I could never do with my older Trek Fuel XC bike that this does with ease

Favorite Trail:   Anything on Ridges to Rivers

Purchased At:   George's Cycle, Stat

Similar Products Used:   Trek Fuel EX8, Trek Remedy, (29 er XC's) Gary Fisher Hi-Fi Deluxe, Gary Fisher Rumble Fish, 2002 Trek Fuel 90

Bike Setup:   XL Frame Size, everything stock except a 7 inch rotor up front, quick release seat post and ergon grips.

Submitted by ZZrider54 a Weekend Warrior from Upland Ca USA

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2011

Strengths:    Good steering geometery,decent pedaling efficiency, made in USA, reasonalble weight for the travel.

Weaknesses:    Made in USA, quality issues from the start. The rear stay actually cracked at the pivot point a few weeks into it. Cheapo head set,pedals,seat the rear suspension seat stay pivot bolts continually fall out, and worst of all the support from Cdale sucks if you can call it support. They told the bike shop to put green loctite around the bearing to fix the bolt falling out. Really? How will that keep the bolt in? How will I change the bearing when it fails again? I replaced the rear suspension bolts and brgs several times including using a torque wrench and loctite blue. Still falls out. I am going to have to put a small bolt through both sides to keep it together. On an over 2k bike? Really? Also the fork leaks oil and the rear shock leaked too. Last Cdale for me. I ride alot and this doesn't get it.

Bottom Line:
Buy this bike if you like getting treated like crap by the manufacture. It took three weeks to get the bolts, I found the bearing locally myself at Helen's cycle. Way too much money for this. Too bad there is no resale value on a bike, otherwise I would move on.

Favorite Trail:   Hurkey Creek

Purchased At:   Competitive Edge

Similar Products Used:   Kona manomano, 9 years old, NEVER had a bad suspension bearing or bolt come off repeatedly.
Marin Attack trail

Bike Setup:   Carbon fiber bar, better tires. New drive train (normal wear)

Submitted by TwoHeadsBrewing a Weekend Warrior from Chico, CA

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2010

Strengths:    Excellent bike for the money (2009 on closeout). Pretty light for a XC/trail bike, and enough travel to handle just about any trail conditions. Saddle is surprisingly comfortable!

Weaknesses:    Maxxis Ridgeline stock tires are for bike paths, this bike should come with Kenda Nevegal, Panaracer FireXC, etc.

Bottom Line:
Amazing bike even before closeout prices, the Fox suspension works great and the light weight of the bike makes for a great all around trail bike. Easy going on the climbs, confident longer travel on the downhills, and smooth shifting make it a hard to beat bike in the sub-$2k category. The tires chosen are ridiculous and should be swapped out right away unless you ride on smooth, dry paths almost exclusively. They ARE light, but you can find light knobby tires that will grip better in all conditions and terrain.

Favorite Trail:   Guardians

Purchased At:   Cyclesport

Similar Products Used:   GF Aquila, Kona Dawg, Specialized FSRxc, Cliff 29er Pro

Bike Setup:   Stock except pedals: Fox Float 140mm fork, Float RP2 130mm shock, SLX/XT derailer/shifters. No chain slap guard included, and derailler cable makes it hard to wrap entire chainstay.

Submitted by Stringmike a Cross Country Rider from Scottsdale

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2010

Strengths:    Superb handling, great value. Bought as year-end close-out in 2009.

Weaknesses:    Tires not the best - switched to Panaracer

Bottom Line:
The geometry definitely suits me better than my old Rocky Mountain. I ride mostly sandy/dirt desert trails with some rocks and the occasional modest drops (three feet is about the limit for this old geezer!) I found my times on regular trails were noticeably quicker on the Rize than on my ten-year-old Rocky Mountain, mostly my downhill speeds have improved. The handling on skittery, sandy, rocky single track is definitely better.

It has proved very robust and reliable.

Favorite Trail:   Pima/Dynamite

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Southwest Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Previous bike was Rocky Mountain Element Race. Notable improvement in components in ten years!

Bike Setup:   Stock, apart from slime tubes and Shimano 540 pedals. Front wheel looking a bit sad after a minor recent crash and will probably upgrade the wheelset.

Submitted by Hobbes a Weekend Warrior from Calgary Canada

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2010

Strengths:    Flies over rocky/bumpy terrain, very stable, climbs well.

Weaknesses:    Some of the OEM parts are "cheap", like the cassete, saddle, tires, etc.

Bottom Line:
I was disappointed by the brakes, but got a 8' front rotor with an adapter and problem resolved! I also got a "lizard skin" for the chain stay, and the best upgrade of all was the gravity drop seatpost. The OEM tires are also crap.
After those upgrades, just need to find the correct suspension setup and you're done! It goes down like a rocket and it's also a good climber. Like all the DS bikes, i find it a little heavy, but it's worth!

Submitted by wildwest a Weekend Warrior from Seattle

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2010

Strengths:    Made in U.S.A., weight, suspension

Weaknesses:    stock weelset is flexy, trigger shifters

Bottom Line:
Maybe the best bike I've ever riden. I've been rideing a steele fram hardtail(rocky mt., blizzard) for 10. It was a great bike but, my god the rize is soo much better. I don't fall nearly as often. It climbs better & descends better. Pro pedal on for fire road climbs, off for the downhill. Techinical, rooty, rocky climbs, no problem.Changing to a stiffer wheelset, brought the bike to life. Made everything else work even better. It not a downhill or a park bike but, it'll do everything else.

Favorite Trail:   Preston R/R

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   R.E.I.

Bike Setup:   x-9 twist shifters, x-o rear derailer, x-o rear cassette, truvative_stylo-oct 2x crankset, Easten-havoc wheelset, loc-on grips, wtb-exiwlof 2.3

Submitted by Jim H. a Weekend Warrior from sun valley, Idaho

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2010

Strengths:    supple rear suspension design, nice fork, doesn't seem to bob a lot, feels solid, stiff, not flexy like ibis mojo, or yeti asr 5. (demo ride impressions only), simple, therefore, attractive, suspension design

Weaknesses:    tires were replaced on day 1, stoker ride (Hayes I think) are not the best but they work well, complete bike is not super light, guessing just under 30 lbs.

Bottom Line:
excellent all around ride. runs quiet, good bike for 2.3 or bigger tires, nice geometry, slacker than xc head angle and wide bars are made for steering with your body which is fun downhill, at first tune, enclose rear derailleur cable completely with cable housing for longer shifting life...otherwise water and dirt gunk up this cable.
solid bike that can run over rocks on the trail...supposedly a pretty good bike on the downhill steeps...don't ride much of this though. Highly recommended! ...mine is 130 rear, 140 fork...current design is 140 front and back I believe.

Favorite Trail:   Harpers

Purchased At:   Backwoods

Similar Products Used:   stumpjumper fsr 2006 is a little more uprightmore, santa cruz blur lt (original) creaky, not a santa cruz fan...like this cannondale suspension better than vpp.

Bike Setup:   stock except for tires and stem

Submitted by brettdanger a Weekend Warrior from Arvada, CO

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2010

Strengths:    Lighter than the Trek Fuel, tons of travel

Weaknesses:    wheels and tires, squeeky hayes

Bottom Line:
I replace my 10 year old I-Drive and was looking for solid components and hope to get another 10 years. Made in USA vs Taiwanese treks was a selling point. This bike climbs great and is very stiff for the 5 inch travel it has.

Favorite Trail:   Waterton Canyon, kidding 3 Sisters

Similar Products Used:   GT I-drive, trek fuel, specialized stumpjumper

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Mavik crossrides and panaracer tires. Forte carbon sticks

Submitted by cmuljadi a Cross Country Rider from Cupertino, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2010

Strengths:    Overall component is good. Front fork, rear shock and crank are good parts. Shifter, derailleurs, breaks are so so. Climb like a champion and I have full control during downhill.

Weaknesses:    Wheel set and hub can be lighter. Tire sucks. Low thread per inch (TPI) caused many flats and bad traction.

Bottom Line:
Been riding the bikes for 8 months. Comfortable, responsive bike. It can handle 4 hours ride during the weekend. Great Climber with pro pedal, Great downhill-er, and excellent cross country bike. Component is decent. Excellent frame. 1st month has many flats due to thorns and crashed during downhill since the tire doesn't grip well.

Favorite Trail:   Saratoga Gap, Skegg

Purchased At:   Sport Basement

Bike Setup:   Panaracer XC Pro tire, Mavic Crossmax SLR, Thomson Seat Post and Stem, Ergon GX2, Shimano XT Cassette, Forte Carbon Handlebar, Rocket V Saddle.

Submitted by oreny a Cross Country Rider from Israel

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2010

Strengths:    Solid rock frame, stable but nimble, comfortable for long rides, fast enough for it's type.

Weaknesses:    Many of the components on the bike gets a fair score: Brakes (Hayes Stroker) are weak for the performance of the bike (even Juicy 3, Shimano Deore, etc will be much better) TALAS instead of the Float would also be appreciated in steep climbs. Heavy wheels are acceptable for the price but what make C' choose these tires??? (Maxxis Ridgeline), I expected the SLX \ XT \ Deore drive train to work better than it really does.

Bottom Line:
Great machine for all day fun. Plan to upgrade wheels, fork (15/20 mm axle and travel change) and brakes (larger rotors may help, but a good Elixier set will do the job) probably will be my riding machine for a long time!!

Similar Products Used:   Scott MC40, Trek EX something,

Bike Setup:   Kind shock 950i with remote seat post, Specialized Escar 2.3 front / Le Captain 2.0 rear tire - both tubeless with Joe kit.

Submitted by gmartink a Weekend Warrior from Arvada, Co, USA

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2010

Strengths:    Goes where you point it, crisp drive train, pro peddle is awesome for flat smooth areas or riding the road to your next trail, front shock firm out dial is awesome for on the fly adjustment

Weaknesses:    I'm afraid the rims wont hold up to the same degree the rest of the bike will. Also, the breaks have a good feel but for stepper faster downhills they are a little weak for my (180 lb) weight.

Bottom Line:
Awesome bike for the dollars spent. Handmade in the US sealed the deal for me. The bike is marketed as an "all mountain" rig the manual even suggests riding it down very rugged terrain with small to medium drops and jumps. The bike matches that well in my opinion but may require new wheels if your going to get real aggressive. This is my first full suspension rig and with the pro peddle and firm out on the fork this bike can climb better than my hardtail. I would recommend it to everyone that likes to have fun on a bike.

Favorite Trail:   White Ranch

Purchased At:   Treads

Similar Products Used:   Trek Fuel

Bike Setup:   Stock with a quick release for the seat.

Submitted by mikebods a Weekend Warrior from Vic, Australia

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2010

Strengths:    All round ability. Good climber, very good descender with excellent handling. Great fit for me at about 6' tall (L frame). Excels in singletrack, very nimble but stable too.

Weaknesses:    Some parts are a bit strange. Stem too long at 110mm. Seat doesn't suit my arse. Wheelset is fairly basic and feels heavy and slow. These are mostly down to where this bike sits in the Rize range. Hayes stroker levers are way out from bars... a bit too far!

Bottom Line:
New bike for me - last year's runout model. Early days and there were some things that felt wrong first up. Stem and bar setup was the worst... why put a 110mm stem on an AM bike?
Now we're getting along fine. Brilliant carving ability on open tracks and beautiful manners in the rough... no fighting. Feels solid but not heavy. Very easy to lift up over obstacles. I'm still trying to find its limits cornering but haven't found them yet despite starting to push pretty hard! Good allround speed, stiffness. Slight flex in rear but this is a positive handing trait for me in flowing singletrack. For the 90% of normal trail riding the Rize is a flyer and a lot of fun.

Favorite Trail:   haven't found it yet

Purchased At:   Trailhead

Similar Products Used:   Kona Dawg for many years. RZ140 carbon 1 for a week (of bliss).

Bike Setup:   Stock except for 90mm stem instead of 110. Will also put my spinergy wheels on and may change the tyres, though they're pretty good so far. 30% sag. Lots of spacers removed to lower bar height. Shimano pedals 'cause the bars on the Crank Bros get smashed on rocks. Stock grips are surprisingly good so far. Will go tubeless for better acceleration. I think through axles would be a big boost to its AM abilities.

Submitted by MidWesternSon a Weekend Warrior from Milwaukee, WI

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2009

Strengths:    Great all mountain rig for not a lot of money, granted I work at the shop. Fox front and rear are truly burly enough to get you through anything you want to try. The Hayes stroker provide ample breaking without much maintenance and the drive train is bomb proof with the propper tuning.

Weaknesses:    The stock wheel-set leaves a bit to be desired, but with a re-tension and care they will serve until you can upgrade to something stronger. Also, the Maxis Rigeline tires are useless for anything other than hardpack.

Bottom Line:
This bike is truly great for the money. The frame is tough and stiff under you, using all of Cannondale's tricks and features including Si on the headset and the bottom bracket. The rear linkage is strong and tracks true. The float front is supper plush and the rear RP2 is good in any situation. The propel eliminates peddle-bob and allows all day XC riding without killing the rider. The drive train is worthy of the bike, as are the brakes. As I said, the wheelset leaves something to be desired, but that is a minor issue. Over all this is the best biek I have ever owned. If your looking for a sound, affordable all-mountain platform you can,t go wrong with the Rize.

Purchased At:   Al's Cycle Solutions

Similar Products Used:   StumpJumper,Dakar Xam.

Bike Setup:   Stock: Fox float front and rear. Hayes stroker, and drive train. I upgraded to XT hubs right out of the box after reading the other reviews posted.

One year of minor maintenance on my Rize 4....

I've owned my Rize for a full year now and am happy to report to you what to expect from this bike as far as wear and tear from harder riding. [LIST] [*]Early on the rear wheel failed. I replaced both wheels with stans ztr arch. I loved the tubeless!:) [*]Secondly, the interupted rear derai ... Read More »

Rize 4 shock link bearing seating

Firstly, hello to all of you on MBR. I've recently bought my first "decent" bike and getting really into trail riding and downhill. Never had a full suspension bike before and this one o got off eBay is having a few issues. The rear wheel has lateral movement, a small amount of play, and can be ... Read More »

New 2010 Rize 4. Question..

So I bought a 2010 U.S. made RZ120 4 and I love it! I took it out yesterday right after I bought it and it climbed amazingly! However, when I was going downhill, my brakes felt like they couldn't stop me if I needed to quickly stop. It was hard to brake on turns and it felt like these things were as ... Read More »

Cannondale Rize 4 2009 for $1995

Never bought a bike before, been using a hand-me-down from father in law, which is an old Cannondale. Anyway, always wanted to own a new Cannondale so visited my lbs and they showed me a full suspension bike from 2009, the Rize 4, in white. They are asking for $1995, reduced from $2400; do you think ... Read More »

Advice For 09 Rize 4 Upgrades?

Hi Folks, Im Getting My Rize 4 This Week And I Know I Will Riding So Much All Summer. Stoked. Any Advice On What I Should Prioritize As An Essential Effective Upgrade? I Think I Will Put On Some Velociraptor Tires On Since Im Going To Do Mostly Aggressive Xc Riding. I Weigh 160 And I Was Wond ... Read More »