Cannondale Prophet 800 All Mountain Full Suspension

• Frame: Prophet
  • Fork: Lefty Max TPC
  • Rims: Mavic XM117 Disc, 32 hole
  • Spokes: DT Champion
  • Tires: IRC Trail Bear, 26 x 2.25"
  • Pedals: Shimano PD-M520

Submitted by Brian a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2013

Strengths:    Adjustable geometry
Suspension, well balanced the the Lefty's great, too!

Weaknesses:    Components...over time... It's been nice to upgrade the parts as they've failed over time. I'm actually looking forward to getting some higher end brakes on there...but the Shimano LX disc brakes are still working great!

Bottom Line:
Great bike! I've put thousands of miles on it now, both in the US and Europe, and have really enjoyed the ride. I've upgraded the crankset and bottom bracket, installing a Race Face crank/bb. Also, I upgraded the front fork to the Air/Oil PBR cartridge, which provides lock out and greater adjustability for the ride, in both rebound dampening and fine tuning the spring. I replaced the rear shock, putting on a basic Fox Shock that included lock out. I like being able to lock out the front and back for times climbing or on the road. I had the wheels rebuilt with Stan's Arch rims, which are working great. I'd probably think about the Lefty capable Mavic wheels next, or perhaps the wheels from Project 321, which look nice.

Overall, I really like the adjustable geometry, allowing a certain feel on the climb, easily changable when it's time to descend. It was great to climb for a few hours in the Alps or on the Isle of Ischia, and when at the top, move the shock pin, slackening the geometry for the long descent home. When I do get a new bike, I'll definitely want one with adjustable geometry...the new Jekyll is an upgrade to the Prophet, as it alters the geometry with the flip of a switch and provides a different feel in the shock, too. That said, the Prophet is a Great bike!

Favorite Trail:   Tremalzo, Lago di Garda, Italia

Duration Product Used:   7 years

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Jekyll (original, not the rebooted design)
Cannondale Super V FR
Cannondale F2000
Specialized Stumpjumper M2

Submitted by Trevorg a Weekend Warrior from Canada

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2011

Strengths:    Lefty, plush ride, better climber than it should be.

Weaknesses:    Shifters and brakes

Bottom Line:
I have ridden this bike for over 5 years and thousands of kilometers. It has performed consistently with only minimal maintenance. I had the creaking issue and couldn't figure out where it was coming from so this year I replaced the bottom bracket and it's dead silent again. The suspension on this bike is very plush and gives all day comfort. The Lefty is amazing, better than any other shock I have ridden at absorbing the really small stuff yet great at soaking up the bigger hits. My rear shock is the stock Fox Float R which works well but bobs more than I would like when climbing. That being said this bike climbs way better than it should, even better than some bikes that allow you to lockout the suspension. The dual control shifters have lost some of their precision over the years so their performance is only okay. The LX brakes work consistently but can be overpowered and expect to burn through a set of pads every year with some noise in the process. It carves single track nicely but the long wheelbase sacrifies some agility but gives back great downhill stability. Jumps nicely and handles small and medium drops without issue. The upgrade to the Mavic CrossTrail wheels is well worth it as it livens up the bike as they are lighter than the stock Mavic 117. The frame has been strong as I have only needed to replace the shock bushings once. The swingarm design does seem to direct branches into the rear derailleur, I have broken 4 and 2 hanges so beware on messy trails. Overall this bike has been a great cross-country machine and handles some fast downhills and moderate hits without issue.

Favorite Trail:   Ganaraska Forest

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Jekyll, Scott Aspect 25

Bike Setup:   Stock except wheels upgraded to Mavic CrossTrails, XTR rear derailleur, lock-on grips

Submitted by TrailTrev a Weekend Warrior from ON, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2011

Strengths:    Plush suspension, stong frame, Lefty rocks, climbs way better than it should.

Weaknesses:    Shifting, braking

Bottom Line:
This bike has served me well for 5 years now and thousands of kilometers. The maintenance is minimal. I had some issues with creaking that I just couldn't figure out so this year I replaced the bottom bracket and now it's dead silent again. This bike bombs the downhills nicely. The Lefty is simply outstanding, it's amazing how it absorbs the little stuff and works great on bigger hits. The rear shock is just the stock Fox Float R so it has more bob when climbing than I would like yet it still climbs much better than it should. In fact it climbs better than other bikes I've ridden that you can completely lock-out the suspension. The dual control shifters are okay but they seem to have lost some of their precision over the years that no amount of adjusting seems to be able to fix so the shifting is only so-so. The LX brakes are okay but I go through at least a set of pads every season and they do get noisy. The swingarm design does seem to direct branches at the rear derailleur so beware on messy trails, I have broken at least 4 derailleurs and two hangers. Overall though this bike has been great, no issues with the frame, I replaced the shock bushings just last year but other than that everything else on the frame is still original. Swapping the stock Mavic 117 rims to the Mavic CrossTrails made a significant difference, made the bike more responsive and lighter. The Prophet makes a great riding companion as it goes where you point it and is super comfortable doing it. I recommend it to anyone who rides cross country and likes some fast downhills with some small to moderate jumps/drops.

Favorite Trail:   Ganaraska Forest

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Jeykll, Scott Aspect 25

Bike Setup:   Stock shock, Lefty. Upgraded rear derailleur to XTR, wheels to Mavic CrossTrail, lock on grips

Submitted by crimsontime a Weekend Warrior from Redwood City, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2010

Strengths:    Lefty Fork, 5.5 inches of travel front and rear. Incredibly stable downhill, climbs well. Durable

Weaknesses:    Heavy

Bottom Line:
This bike easily holds its own with my friends' bikes costing thousands more. Compares well to Yeti 575, Santa Cruz Blur, Ibis. This bike has stood the test of time and durability and still after about 4 years of use I feel it slays the competition. The left fork is amazing, I would not trade it for any other design. The stability going down hill enables you to bomb hills with confidence. Climbing is efficient and the position is great. Frame geometry can be changed for more efficient free riding. Eats up Tahoe and Utah for breakfast. I have never had a mechanical failure of any component after hundreds and hundreds of miles of riding. I've had the shock overhauled for routine maintenance, several tuneups, and the brake pads replaced several times in 4 years that is all.

Favorite Trail:   Gooseberry Mesa

Purchased At:   Mike's Bikes Berkele

Similar Products Used:   K2 Proflex, Specialized Rockhopper, Santa Cruz Superlight, Santa Cruz Blur, Yeti

Bike Setup:   100% stock except for the seat -changed to a serfas for more comfort and pedals -changed to Time Attack.

Submitted by Jdub a Cross Country Rider from PA

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2010

Strengths:    Good for all around riding XC/Free ride

Weaknesses:    Swing Arm, Swing Arm, Swing Arm! Lefty.

Bottom Line:
I guess I was cursed from the moment I sat on this bike. I ordered the bike and the day I went to pick it up I sat on it in my local shop to take it home and the seat post snapped in the shop. I should have known right there and then. I would say 3 months later I started having a really bad annoying creak on the down stroke every time I pedaled. After taking my crank off 100 times and lubing the pivots of the rear suspension I was informed the Prophet frames had a flaw. I was told it was a crack in a weld and it was echo throughout the Alum frame. So I got the frame warrantied. Got a new frame. A moth later same thing. While I was riding on my local trail I passed another guy on a prophet his had THE SAME CREAK! I will never ride another Cannondale Mt again. GARBAGE!!

Favorite Trail:   all

Purchased At:   Local shop

Similar Products Used:   To many to list

Bike Setup:   Raceface XC crank, El camino Brakes Raised stem the rest stock.

Submitted by fat tire love affair a Weekend Warrior from phoenix,arizona

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2009

Strengths:    sturdy frame, ok stock components,lefty (yes i could be a lefty salesman,variable rear suspension geometry climbs like a schizophrenic mountain goat running from its thoughts,looks cool and feels very predictable on just about any terrain I've ridden it on. I would marry this bike if it would be recognized as a legal union.Oh and the single pivot is more than sufficiently engineered and has minimal pedal bob compared to other single pivots i have ridden.

Weaknesses:    I'ts not bright orange. some may consider it heavy but my motto is if it weighs too much you need to get stronger and stock shimano lx e type derailuer was problematic. upgraded to slx e type and have stopped beating my dog.

Bottom Line:
this bike is a great beginner to intermediate bike and a good one to continue to grow on, it has served me well and will continue to do so. It gets a regular beating and never lets me down. if your looking to spend a few dollars (around what i payed, it depends on your definition of a few dollars) on a quality bike that requires minimal maintenance and is just about bombproof then you may consider this one.for a nice ride on a lower to midrange budget this bike fits the description. iIgive the bike 5 chillis because when i think about it it is always a good memory.

Favorite Trail:   charles m. christainson memorial

Purchased At:   craigslist

Similar Products Used:   cannondale super v 500, marin alpine trail fsr, trek hardtail, ironhorse maverick

Bike Setup:   stock except for slx e type derailuer, rear shock (upgraded to fox float), serfas saddle, ergon grips and cannondale rear hub

Submitted by vincent a Weekend Warrior from madrid, spain

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2009

Strengths:    Lefty fork, low maintenance. garanty. Confort. Safety.

Weaknesses:    price much expensive in Spain compared to US prices.

Bottom Line:
Very good bike, makes you feel safe and confortable. Life garanty for frame. Never had problems, only to change brake pads and chain.

Favorite Trail:   xcountry

Purchased At:   ozone bike shop, mad

Similar Products Used:   Trek fuel 80, 2006

Submitted by mecano a Weekend Warrior from Edgewood

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2009

Strengths:    Suspension

Weaknesses:    Left Shifter

Bottom Line:
I looked around for almost a month to replace my trusty old ProFlex. I wanted something with the longest suspension travel without going to a full downhill bike. I also wanted reasonable weight and sturdy frame for XC and rocky downhills and without confusing locking suspension systems. The bike climbs like a mountain goat, I can now climb hills in taller gears, shifts great under power, the suspension on both ends works great it soaks up nasty stuff like nothing. The Lefty fork is the best! The bike loves to be abused, the faster you ride the better it responds. The wide handlebars felt weird at first but I love them now. "Ride it like you stole it"

Favorite Trail:   Cedro Peak

Purchased At:   Bikes +

Similar Products Used:   ProFlex 896

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by joshk253 a Weekend Warrior from Tacoma, WA, Pierce

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2009

Strengths:    It handles great, absorbs my mistakes on landings(nothing to big)It climbs like a bat outta hell, and descends like a sinner on their way to hell. Anyone that is looking for a good well rounded bike this is the one. Not for hard corp downhills and massive drops but a great trail bike.

Weaknesses:    I didn't like the stock grips but big f*%#ing deal

Bottom Line:
I love my bike, and even though the cost creatted some issues for my wife it was totally worth it!!!

Favorite Trail:   whatever one I'm riding

Purchased At:   Old Town

Bike Setup:   Mostly stock except i cut the width of the bars down as far as I could and put on some locking grips and a new seat.

Submitted by Raymond a Weekend Warrior from Vernon CT

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2008

Strengths:    great rear shock,light for 5.5 travel, handles well in most every thing except major downhill but is not intended for it anyway

Weaknesses:    none at this point

Bottom Line:
This was a free replacement for a cracked jekyll frame. I don't write in these things but this frame is that much better that if it helps someone to decide about one so be it. One guy had problems with chain stretch and apparantly ghosting, I actually have had none. The jekyll did often this frame does not even when I try to see if it will. It climbs better than the jekyll, not sure if it's the geometry or the rear shock but it is noticeble, better also than the rocky element. Quick handling and response for this much travel. Thanks to Cdale for keeping their warrantee and not giving the cheapest frame but rather the higher end shock RP23.

Favorite Trail:   Case

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Mt element, Cannondale Jekyll, Trek 7000

Bike Setup:   xt, xtr wheels, and some stuff to lighten it a bit.

Submitted by travis a Cross Country Rider from SLC

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2008

Strengths:    very light, looks nice.

Weaknesses:    THIS BIKE HAS A CATASTROPHIC FLAW IN THE DESIGN OF THE REAR SWING ARM. I will not fix this bike again, it is currently for sale.

Bottom Line:
the length of the chain stay grows as the suspension is compressed. thats as simple as i can put it. Ask your local bike mechanic, and if he knows left from right he can clearly explain what i'm talking about. All it takes is a tape measure and a bike with a single pivot point in front of the crank. IT"S ALL BAD. After two brand new deraileur's, a clamp, a hand full of spokes, two chains, a crank, some sprockets, and a SWEET scar on my leg, ive decided to give up on this prophet, and sell the frame to some unsuspecting sole with money to burn. Good Luck! Oh and by the way if you own a cannondale, try to contact the company right now. when something goes wrong, It takes 137 days to get a responce. NO JOKE!

Favorite Trail:   dirt

Purchased At:   village cycle

Bike Setup:   Avid Juicy sevens, Mavic 729s, Holzfeller cranks, race face BB, wtb timberwolfs, thompson stem.

Submitted by Timmy a Weekend Warrior from Phoenix Arizona

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2008

Strengths:    Great handling, no pedal bob, great componentry even though it's still stock, massive amounts of travel while still giving the cross country feel, adjustment on the rear suspension allows a change in the geometry from a XC feel, to a downhill.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike. It's given me more confidence to go over the big bumps, instead of skirting around them when I had my hardtail. Love the fact that the designs and lettering is actually inscribed on the bike, not stickers. Pretty cool artwork on the top tube too. I think it's the equivalent of the Santa Cruz Nomad. Only thing I would change is the rear shock, maybe get a better one since stock has no adjustment on it. I've had no problems with the Lefty front shock, all I can do is praise how well it's worked for me so far.

Favorite Trail:   Red Mountain

Purchased At:   Used on Craigs List

Similar Products Used:   None, first bike with full suspension.

Bike Setup:   Stock.

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Birmingham, AL U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2008

Strengths:    Goes anywhere I point it (I'm usually still on it when it gets there). The Lefty is unique, and for a full suspension bike it is pretty light weight.

Weaknesses:    Not sure if there are any. Wouldn't mind trying a higher grade dual control shifter, but have no real complaints about what is on the bike

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a lesser bike in the fall of 2006 when I came across a really pretty metallic blue Prophet 800 that was on sale. I have ridden a bike of some sort or another for three decades, and having an understanding of the need for better components, and an overwhelming sense of lust for that particular bike, I bought it.

My inital regret over the amount of cash I just spent on a bike lasted for about a week, until I had the chance to spend some quality time in the saddle and regret was replaced a smile and lots of sweat.

I am sure you can spend more, but I honestly don't see that it is necessary (although I'd take it if someone gave it to me!)

Favorite Trail:   Oak Mountain

Purchased At:   Bob's Bikes

Similar Products Used:   An ancient Giant MTB

Bike Setup:   In a hundred miles on dirt, the only thing that really wore out was the middle chain ring and I replaced all three with a RaceFace set. The rear cog set got mangled by a rock or something that got in it; and both it and the chain were replaced. Tires are Maxxis Ignitors, pedals are Eggbeaters. Replaced front deraileur with an XT.

Submitted by robert a Weekend Warrior from clearwater

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2008

Strengths:    smooth ride on the trails. The lefty really eats up the bumps.

Bottom Line:
I wrote in about one and a half weeks ago. Had a complaint about the bearings going bad in the rear wheel. I thought it was a bent hub. The bearing was replaced by the shop and still makes noise when you spin the wheel by hand. However when you ride it, you do not hear it. So as long as that continues I will be fine with it. The rear Fox shock blew out the second day I had the bike due to some stairs. They rebuilt the shock and sense then its been fine. So the bottom line is, I am back to being very pleased with the bike. It is not that I did not like the bike, it was the aggravation of buying a bike and having two major problems in such a short period of time. I would stil recommend the bike shop and the bike to anyone who wanted to buy it.

Favorite Trail:   alafia

Submitted by Andrew Paterson a Cross Country Rider from Kowanyama

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2007

Strengths:    Quality frame, unique design, frame graphics.

Weaknesses:    dual control shifters, saddle, tyres. crank

Bottom Line:
A proper mountainbike and beautifully built frame. Plush suspension. I absolutely hated the dual control levers and finally got the $$$ to go to XT shifters and LX levers - problem solved. I did not like the standard crank - so again, got the $$$ and XT crank is MAGNIFICENT. I did not like the saddle - so after all the reading went with a Brooks and find it much more comfortable. The handlebars were too low and put too much load on my hands, so EA50 riser bars have solved that problem. The TrailBears were just too heavy. The Kenda Nevegals 1.95 were very good in the mud. But I am really enjoying the Maxxis Crossmarks, 2.10. We have a lot of bulldust and they roll beautifully. I am happy with the stock rear shock - manitou radium - for my trail riding I am not sure what a more expensive shock would deliver in the way of plush ride.

I probably should have spent the extra money upfront and gone for the Prophet 1000. But it was a learning experience. It is always part of the challenge to set up any bicycle exactly the way you want it.

This is the first time I spent anything like $3300 Australian dollars on a bike, but I am very happy with the product. I cannot see myself buying another bicycle.

Favorite Trail:   Red Lily Lagoon

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Adelaide

Bike Setup:   Brooks saddle, XT crank, XT Shifters, LX brake levers, Maxxis Crossmark tyres, Easton EA50 riser bars.

05 Prophet 800 upgrade help

I have a bone stock 2005 Prophet 800. I used to ride waaay back in the day and had every sweet upgrade money could buy on my bike and there was no question what parts were hot. I mean in 1995 we had 3 shocks and everything was Ringle anodized. lol:thumbsup: For the prophet 800, what are some goo ... Read More »

2005 prophet 800 lefty a good bike

hi was looking into buying a new bike and there is a 2005 prophet 800 for 900. i would like to know if this was a good bike and a good deal. the bike is brand new only rode 2 times it still has the hairs on the tiresRead More »

Help with front mech for cannondale 2006 prophet 800

Hi I have just invested in a 2006 Cannondale Prophet 800, however the front mech has a large ammount of play in it and wont change down into the small ring i think that the bushings are very worn and i need a new front mech. It currently is fitted with a shimano LX E-Type bb mounted bottom pull ... Read More »

NEW 2005 Prophet 800..Worth ???

Ok you Cannondale experts please give me some advice. I came across this new 05 Prophet 800 for sale and am wondering what it might be worth. He is asking $1300 and the MSRP in 05 was $2000. I think $1300 is to much personally. It's second up from the bottom entry level 600 model in the 05 lineup. ... Read More »

05 Cannondale Prophet 800 - Upgrade Rear Shock

Hi, On my 05 Prophet, I've got the Radium shock but as the bushes are worn and it leaks a bit and it's 2 years old. If I want to just say to hell with it and buy a replacement shock, what would I be looking at that would fit my bike? Make/Model please! Cheers, Carl.Read More »