Cannondale Prophet 600 All Mountain Full Suspension

• Frame: Prophet
  • Fork: Lefty Max Fluid-Flow
  • Rims: Mavic XM117 Disc, 32 hole
  • Spokes: DT Champion
  • Tires: IRC Trail Bear, 26 x 2.25"
  • Pedals: Cannondale Clipless

Submitted by Ryan a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2013

Strengths:    - stiff
- simple design
- geometry
- climbs great, descends even better

Weaknesses:    - a bit on the heavy side compared to builds carbon builds now a days, but not bad at all. weighs only 2 pounds more then my ds xc bike

Bottom Line:
First of all, I bought this bike used and many of the parts have been replaced. Only the seat-post, frame and shock are stock, so my review will focus only on the frame and shock.

My cross country bike wasn't enough bike for me, I needed something with more travel and slack geometry. This bike lies between my XC bike and DH bike, its a perfect in between. I was concerned that the 5 inches of travel was to little, considering todays all mountain bikes are 6 inches. The amount of travel is perfect for trail riding and a bit off all mountain.

I leave it in the FR setting all the time, I'm not to keen on the feel of it in the XC stance. This thing climbs like a dream, and is amazing at descending. I ride a bit of everything - flat trails with my gf to technical mountain trails, and I am really impressed with how it handles everything.

This is NOT a downhill bike, and should not be used as one. I have read reviews of morons using this as a dedicated dh bike, dont be that guy. While it does handle downhill sections on trails, its not meant for full on lift access dh trails. This bike excels at its purpose of being an all round bike.

One thing I really like is the oversized bearings in the rear linkage. I spend $250 replacing all the needle bearings in my '09 Devinci Wilson, money well spent but non the less expensive. The simplicity of the linkage in the Prophet means less money spent on bearing changes when the time rolls around.

The stock shock will be great for most people. It is very easy to set up IF YOU DO YOUR RESEARCH. I read up on how to set it up and googled what pressures other people are running. If you do this, its super easy to get it to feel how you want. I personally am a FOX fan, so I'll be upgrading to a fox rp23 or newer when I can. Nothing against this shock, I just personally like the way fox suspension feels and the adjustments they offer. That is my own personal preference, but there is nothing wrong with the stock swinger shock.

I bought this bike because I got an amazing deal on it, and it came with pretty much all the parts I wanted in a bike. Even though it is a few years old, if you can get a good deal I would say go for it.

Bike Setup:   fox 32 talas fork, saint cranks, elixer brakes, transition wheels

Submitted by blizz14 a Cross Country Rider from Roy, UT USA

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2011

Strengths:    Value, bulletproof, elevated chain stay, single pivot simplicity, low maintenance

Weaknesses:    A little heavy, tall (high CG...not as fast in the twisties)

Bottom Line:
I've had this bike for 5.5 years & ridden at least once a week for 8-9 months each year. A lot of XC, a little FR, and a little DH. A few things have worn out, but nothing unexpected with this much use. Lefty started leaking last year & had C-dale rebuilt it for $100. Overall, it's a great bike! I'd buy it again.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Similar Products Used:   '99 Specialized FSR, various hardtails

Bike Setup:   Stock, other than Truvativ Firex crank.

Submitted by XCProphet a Cross Country Rider from a Town Near You

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2010

Strengths:    Consistently Simple Design/Functionality
Low maintenance/Low Amount of Pivot Wear
Swingarm Design/All Mountain Feel
Lefty,Lefty,Lefty!
Great Stock IRC Trailbear Tires
Great Stock Disc brakes

Weaknesses:    Crappy Stock Hub
Bottom Bracket
Cable Rub on frame

Bottom Line:
XC/All-Mountain: Buy!,Buy!,Buy!
Hardcore Downhill/Freeriders: not recommended, unless you like abusing yourself, much less bikes

Favorite Trail:   Fast & Furious

Fizik Pro Racing Seat
Pepper handlebars

Submitted by Carlos Gabriel a Weekend Warrior from San Diego, Ca, United States

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2009

Strengths:    design, lefty fork, and wheels

Weaknesses:    Cannondale Fire brake levers

Bottom Line:
Good bike with stock set up, great bike with upgrades. Have had no issues with any of the components/set up.

Favorite Trail:   Otay Lakes Lower

Purchased At:   UC Cyclery

Bike Setup:   FSA carbon XC bars, Avid SD Ultimate levers, Avid BB7 brakes, Mavic XM117 (stock) wheels, Fizik Gobi XM saddle, Lizard Skins "peaty" locking grips, X-9 shifters, XT crankset, Fox RP23 rear shock, Candy SL pedals, Sram PC-991 chain, X-9 long cage RD, XT FD, Sram PG-990 11-34t cassette, Kenda Nevegal & Blue Groove UST tires.

Submitted by ueda_sheffwa a Weekend Warrior from Logan, UT, United States

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2009

Strengths:    Lefty forks is great. Manitou radium R is bombproof. Minimal bob for 140mm travel for either of the XC or FR settings.

Weaknesses:    Front end is really light makes you want a longer stem than necessary. Wheels are light but kinda flimsy. Trailbear tires wear quick. Pedals are ****.

Bottom Line:
Lefty forks are great as long as your not planning on jumping then my balance tends to be off with the lefty. Shox work good with this bike and don't bob. The 69 or 67.5 adjustable seat tube settings are nice to have. Bike does very well on the trail and feels very sold even dropping five feet or more.

Favorite Trail:   Stump hollow

Purchased At:   Al's sporting goods

Similar Products Used:   Prophet 1000, Specialized Stumpjumper, Cannondale Gemmini, Trek Liquid, Rocky Mountian Switch.

Bike Setup:   Had to shorten the stem since I went with the large frame but once I shortened the stem it felt right at home and made me glad I didn't go with the medium frame.

Submitted by CdaleProph6 a Weekend Warrior from Rochester Ny

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2009

Strengths:    Lefty-super strong super stiff and it gets crazy looks
simple single pivot hasnt failed on me and the bearings hold up well
pretty burly. Climbs really well, and decends like a champ great all around

Weaknesses:    stock radium shock phoucking blows replaced it with a DHX5A after 2 years of abuse on the radium and it totally woke up the bike
the stock parts on it are OK, an upgraded wheelset, rear shock and brakes totally changed it

Bottom Line:
buy one of these before they dissapear, cannondale stopped making them this year and the rize and moto sit on either side of the travel of this bike. any prophet owner will tell you the same thing that this bike takes alot of abuse, ive done stuff that i probably shouldnt have on it and its still grinning and rolling straight
this bike wil not let you down

Favorite Trail:   Massanutten mountains in VA

Lefty max 140
mavic 819 rims to DT240 in the rear

Submitted by millhause a Cross Country Rider from Raleigh NC

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2008

Strengths:    Frame and lefty fork is bombproof. Stock drivetrain OK.

Weaknesses:    Stock wheels are garbage. Bike is somewhat heavy but not too bad for the amount of travel you get.

Bottom Line:
I am just now getting around to reviewing this bike although I have had it for several years now. I was going to buy a Prophet frameset and build it myself but just decided to get this 600 and replace things as I broke them off. I can not say enough good things about this frame, it is built to take major abuse. I also love the lefty forks, they are so stiff it is unreal. Leftys are the best for heavy riders (240) like me who ride cross country and try to watch the weight on the bike. The Avid mechanical disc brakes were also alot better than I expected.

Weaknesses first and foremost would be the wheelset. The wheels were heavy as a rock and still felt like mush. The rear shock is also pretty weak but can get the job done until upgrading. Crank is also not that great, creaked and not very stiff.

Anyway, I bought this bike for the frame and fork and knew the components would not last very long. Good option for heavy riders in my opinon because even if you buy the maxed out version of the bike the components are not really appropriate for heavy riders. Gotta built it up your way to get it right when you weigh a ton like me.

Favorite Trail:   urban assault, Tsali

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Mostly rode racing hardtails prior to getting this bike.

Submitted by msucrese a Weekend Warrior from Round Rock, TX

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2008

Strengths:    This bike is a beast. It runs circles around all the other guys I ride with and they are on much more expensive Specialized bikes. I have taken 4-6" drops over and over and the lefty shock never fails.

Weaknesses:    Base crank (Truvativ) was fairly week and needed to be replaced. I upgraded to a Shimano XT for $100 and this thing hums now.

Bottom Line:
This is by far one of the best full suspension bikes I have riden for the price. Closing in on 3 years and have had no issues. I ride weekly and push this thing hard and my only change was an upgraded crank setup. I would recommend this thing to anyone.

Favorite Trail:   Lake Georgetown

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Hard Rock and GT

Bike Setup:   All XT components, lefty front shock, manitou R rear shock.

Submitted by animusman a Weekend Warrior from Lafayette

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2008

Strengths:    Durable, smooth shifting, reliable components.

Weaknesses:    Travel on front fork might not be what I need for more intense rides.

Bottom Line:
This is an updated review now that I've had the bike for 2 seasons. I'm still very pleased with it's durability, the smooth shifting, better stopping power with disk brakes, and the full suspension. I am starting to wonder if the Lefty Fork provides me with the travel I really need for the more intense rides. Overall I'm very happy with the bike though. Reliability is a big issue with me. When I go out into he middle of no where on my bike I don't want to stress on whether I'll make it back or not. So far this bike has been ultra-reliable despite putting it through some beatings.

Favorite Trail:   Golden Gate

Purchased At:   Golden Bear Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Only owned hard tails prior to purchased Prophet.

Bike Setup:   SRam Gears, Avid disc brakes, Fox Float R rear shock, Lefty fork. Basically, all the default components you get with a new Prophet 600.

Submitted by Clint Sochulak a Cross Country Rider from Lincoln, ME

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2008

Strengths:    All around great bike, price.

Weaknesses:    some stock parts that eventually will need to be replaced.

Bottom Line:
This has been and still is a great bike. It was my first full suspension and it has not dissapointed. I ride trails that are littered with roots and rocks and this bike helped me improve my riding considerably. Is good at climbing and can mash over rock gardens and rooty sections and can absorb considerable drops. Just a really fun bike to ride. Good price, good ride.

Favorite Trail:   crazy train

Purchased At:   ski rack sports

Similar Products Used:   n/a

Bike Setup:   mostly stock, acid pedals, avid brake levers, kenda and shwalbe tires were added and new drivetrain after I wore it out.

Submitted by Mike Kline a Cross Country Rider from Elmora

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2008

Strengths:    Durable, Light, and fully upgradable

Weaknesses:    Too good to warrant a new bike purchase

Bottom Line:
This machine as surpassed every test, trail and crash thrown at it. I've upgraded through the years and brought it to about 27.5 lbs for a large frame. Nothing but glowing pride for this machine. Too bad its being replaced. A true classic and hassle free design. Goodbye to the Prophet, your reign was short, however this design will be remembered as a true workhorse platform.

Favorite Trail:   MY Design

Purchased At:   Indiana cycle and Fitness

Similar Products Used:   Trek Fuel

Bike Setup:   Swinger 3 way, Stans Arch wheelset, Monkeylite EA 70 bars, Avid juicy 7 front, Avid bb7 rear, Alligator TiNitride rotors.

Submitted by Max a Weekend Warrior from DE

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2008

Strengths:    Super durable. Tracks like it is on rails through twisty NE singletrack. Takes medium hits very well, and I don't have the guts to do more so that works out. Very nimble for an "all mountain" bike.

Weaknesses:    Stock parts are a bit heavy. Needed to swap out Lefty spring to handle my fat a**.

Bottom Line:
Love it. Very durable low maintenance set up for the large and fit rider. Haven't had one problem.

Favorite Trail:   WCC

Purchased At:   LBS Dunbar's

Similar Products Used:   First Dual Suspension

Bike Setup:   Still very stock http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/06/cusa/model-6VE6.html

Submitted by JAKE a Weekend Warrior from Centreville, VA

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2008

Strengths:    Everything, Lefty is amazing, stock drive train not half bad but change it out when it wears out, it will make all the difference. Wheels arent horrible but could be better. Brakes- not hydraulic but might as well be with the stopping power you get

Weaknesses:    Cannondale levers, Wore out after a year of use
Manitou Radium-very edgy horrible for small bumps, poor match with the lefty
Deore shifters, wheels need some beefing up

Bottom Line:
Being my first full suspension bike i cant really compare it to anything, but it is a fantastic bike.Climbs like a f*&%ing goat and descends like its nobodys business, BUY THIS BIKE. The wheels are a bit flexy and the rear shock should be put in the garbage but other than that its fantastic, After upgrading to the DHX 5.0 Air i do believe that this will be my last full suspension bike I ever buy, its so perfect, i am able to ride for 8-10 hours in the VA mountains with no pains or complaints about the travel in the bike. It is a great all around bike and for those of you against single pivot designs your missing out, VPP is overrated and brake jack is hardy noticeable,The lefty is the perfect shock, throw anything at it and it can take it, one of the stiffest forks i have ever ridden only thing that would make it better is SPV or TPC dampening. Get it before the moto/rize kills it :-(

Favorite Trail:   VA mountains

Sram Red spider cassette
soon to be mavic 819 rims with onyx hub in back

Submitted by Justin a Weekend Warrior from Baltimore, MD

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2008

Strengths:    Great good for the price

Weaknesses:    Weak Cannondale brand break levers

Bottom Line:
I have had this bike for 2 years, its the 06 model. I have taken decent care of it, washing and lubing it after most days out. It has been and is a great bike. I have not had any problems with the Lefty. I bought the tool to open the top part of the shock, and have lubed it a couple times. I do some pretty aggressive XC and all-mountain riding and have had no trouble. I just rebuilt the fox float R seals for the first time since I have owned the bike.

I broke the cannondale break levers in a fall pretty early on and replaced them with Avid levers which are a big improvement. Also, the IRC trailbears are decent tires, but I preffer the Panaracer Fire XC pros.

The bike is great, love the Lefty, it outperforms other shocks I have used that would be considered High-end forks.

Cannondale is phasing the prophet out with the new Rize and Moto, so If you are looking for a deal, the prophet is worth the time.

Purchased At:   Durst Cycle