Cannondale Prophet 5 All Mountain Full Suspension

• Chain: SRAM 9-speed
  • Bottom Bracket: TruVatiV ISIS GigaPipe SL
  • Shifters: SRAM X-7 Trigger
  • Stem: Cannondale XC3 HeadShok, 31.8 mm

Submitted by brian a Downhiller from roanoke va

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2011

Strengths:    FANTASTIC setup: i did a ton of research, kona, gary fisher, rocky mountain.. but couldn't find a bike with (1) better components and (2) looked as good for the money.

Weaknesses:    very very minor.. i ordered my frame in a small and the lefty was a little too sloppy (soft) for what i wanted out of the bike. (so i switched it with my friends medium frame lefty and its all good now)

Bottom Line:
LOVE IT, wish they still made it

Favorite Trail:   carvins cove

Purchased At:   just the right gear

Bike Setup:   crank bros. 5050x

Submitted by Pablo Mac a Cross Country Rider from Lebanon OR USA

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2008

Strengths:    Stout frame, good components, the Lefty absolutely ROCKS, the single pivot suspension works great. This is the perfect bike for me for all-mountain, trail riding.

Weaknesses:    Not really a product weakness, but more of a user setup issue: I initially set the rear shock to 200psi to match my body weight (like on my previous bike), and suffered from too much rebound. I went OTB on a downhill and taco-ed my front wheel, and also banged up my knee (and ego). I took the air pressure down to about 180 and it is perfect. Figure the rear air at about 85-90% of your body weight, and you'll be all set.

Bottom Line:
I did my research and decided Made-In-USA is important to me (I'm a Veteran), and Cannondale's integrated system approach makes total sense to me (I'm also a Mac freak). I wound up taking a few weeks deciding between the Cannondale Rush and Prophet, and visited a Cannondale dealer twenty miles from home to ride both, but they couldn't get either bike in stock without me committing to buy one. Scott's Cycle in Salem OR (40 miles away) had both models in my size, so I rode both in one day (plus some other comparable models), and made my decision, which I am 100% happy with. Let me put it another way: If something happened to my Cannondale Prophet, I would not hesitate to get another one.

Favorite Trail:   McKenzie River Trail

Purchased At:   Scott's Cycle in Sal

Similar Products Used:   Kona King Kikapu, Fisher Supercaliber

Bike Setup:   Stock with 15-year-old Time ATAC pedals (still spin like new with zero maintenance!).

Submitted by Alan a Weekend Warrior from Chicago

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2008

Strengths:    Nice balanced handling. Lefty is great. Nice BB height. Climbs well enough for what it is.

Weaknesses:    Paint is easily chipped and scratched. Component spec is great for the money, but ofcourse there are items that you will feel need to be replaced with higher spec items. I'll wait until I break them or they wear out. Again, for the price point it's a solid spec.

Bottom Line:
Awesome bike for the money. I really don't think there is another similairly spec'ed bike out there that can touch it. Handles great, looks great, no bob peddling, what more do you want.

Favorite Trail:   Palos

Purchased At:   Dan's BS in Berwyn

Bike Setup:   07' Medium, brown spring in lefty, Fox rp23, lock-on grips, GT flat pedals Avid SD7 levers and the rest is stock.

Submitted by nanker phelge a Weekend Warrior from pennsylvania

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2008

Strengths:    avid bb-7's; drivetrain is smooth as butter; beautiful paint job - pictures don't do it justice.

Weaknesses:    wheelset seems somewhat cheap, no problems as yet, though; the jury's still out on the tires - will probably upgrade eventually; beautiful paint job seems easily marred - clearcoat is already scuffed up where bike sits in my rack.

Bottom Line:
WOW! I can't reccomend it enough as a great all around trail bike.

Favorite Trail:   whatever on i'm currently on

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   cheap department store bikes. this is my first real one.

Bike Setup:   stock except for lizard skin moab lock on grips.

Submitted by nick a Cross Country Rider from sydney, australia

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2007

Strengths:    plush, great geometry, lefty a revelation

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
Coming off a Giant trance which - while a pretty good xc bike - always felt like it wanted to throw me over the bars, this bike inspires so much confidence. Stuff that I used to shy away from I now go looking for. Super plush but still climbs like a goat - probably down a gear or so on the climbs compared to the Trance, but who cares when coming down the other side is so much more fun.

Relatively basic component set, but then I am not racing for world titles and they do the job well enough. They can be upgraded when they break/wear out.

I'd heard a lot about the lefty being a good thing, and was pleasantly surprised to fing that it really is. Stiff, tracks true, ans soaks up all I can throw at it.

It gets said a lot, but if you can only have one bike, give this one some really serious consideration.

Favorite Trail:   I'll ride anywhere

Purchased At:   KOM

Similar Products Used:   Giant Trance, Spec. Enduro

Bike Setup:   Stock bar Juicy 3's instead of BB7's

Submitted by Lou a Weekend Warrior from Columbia, NJ

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2007

Strengths:    It floats itself over tuff roots and rocks without any or very little help. Light and fast.

Weaknesses:    None Yet!!

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike for anyone who wants to go play in the woods. I could not be more happy. I have not yet had a problem with anything on the bike. I am tuff on it and I just can't break it!! That is a good thing for someone that has to watch the cash flow.

Favorite Trail:   Ringwood

Purchased At:   Cycle Craft

Bike Setup:   Stock.

Submitted by T from Connecticut

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2007

Strengths:    Climbs,Climbs,Climbs and the Lefty soaks up rock gardens effortlessly.

Weaknesses:    I'd have to get super-picky to find any...sidewalls on the IRC trailbears somewhat weak as I have replaced two so far...but the traction on them has been surprisingly great, esp. with steep climbs. The stock BB had to be upgraded after about nine months and alot of wet rides.

Bottom Line:
I waited a while to post a review of this bike, figuring the 1st year would reveal weaknesses. I did a good amount of research before purchasing this bike last year and depended alot on input from MTBR. The fit and feel on first impression from my LBS was spot on. This bike makes me want to ride more and more and more (no exaggeration, just ask my wife). Alot of the riding that my buddies and I do are mostly a mix of XC/All mountain and the Prophet just improved my skills overnight. Stuff that I couldnt ride clean a year ago, I dont think about now. If I had to do it over again I would do it no differently. Incredible value for an incredble ride. Too bad the 08 models are not coming through with the Lefty fork which has exceeded my expectations. You will not be disapointed as so many have stated in previous posts, and if you get the option, go with the Lefty fork.

Favorite Trail:   Metacomet

Purchased At:   Benidorm

Similar Products Used:   Kona something, Specialized Stumpy, Trek Fuel EX something

Bike Setup:   Primarily stock, waiting patiently to wear out supposedly lower grade components in order to upgrade. Great value overall.

Submitted by Philly a Weekend Warrior from Ontario , Canada

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2007

Strengths:    Super stiff all mountain do it all frame , Lefty Max up front + Pro pedel tuned Fox R rear , balance travel.
Silent single privot , no creak or squeak at all.
And Life time frame warranty from Cannondale to boot !
Best looking weld job on any bike!

Weaknesses:    At what I paid , I can't compliant .

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike at any price , but even better if you got it on close out deal.

Lefty Max is phenomenal , smooth travel , solid as a rock and track like as if it is on rail !

At speed , this bike can flow over large boulder like you are sitting on a sofa , the handle bar never comes up to your face even if you hit something dead on and too lazy to pull up , the lefty will take the hit for you !

Bottom line.. there "may be" a better riding bike out there , but it sure won't look as cool , and if you do find a cooler looking bike , I bet it won't ride at nice ;)

Purchased At:   Athens Cyclepath Ohio

Similar Products Used:   Specialized FSR , Cannondale F600 HT

Bike Setup:   Pretty much stock .

Submitted by tom eads a Cross Country Rider from blacksburg, va

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2007

Strengths:    climbs like a goat, flies downhill taking every punishing hit i can give. love the lefty front 6" of travel.

Weaknesses:    stock seat

Bottom Line:
awesome bike this is what i wanted since i saw it. first day i got it the guys at the bike shop went riding with us and i could drill them right off the get go.

Favorite Trail:   pandapas pond

Purchased At:   adventures bike shop

Similar Products Used:   trek 4300 gary fisher super caliper 29er

Bike Setup:   stock except bontrager seat

Submitted by Ben Ward a Weekend Warrior from Atkinson, NH 03811

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2007

Strengths:    Lefty, variable geometry and strong frame.

Weaknesses:    Maybe the brake levers, easy fix

Bottom Line:
No matter what I spend on a bike, I'm always told it is a good starter bike. Been at it a few years now and I can say that this is no "starter" bike. A solid frame and Lefty take me where I point them to go, the only thing holding me back on this thing is me. The top Prophet runs the same frame as the entry level Prophet, that says something about what this bike is made of. Lighter options? Yes. Faster options? You bet. But when it comes to the perfect "all mountain" bike for many, this has got to be it. I will eventually change more of the stock parts starting with the tires, the IRC Freedomcross Trailbears are a bit heavy and don't give me the grip I expected with their aggresive profile. There are plenty of other options to save weight and improve performance along the line as well. But even in stock form, this bike can perform. Being able to switch from XC to FR has its benefits as well, helps in those downhill romps after that tough climb up, which the Prophet handles both very well. Better than my hardtail for certain. If you want to ride exclusive XC, or aggresive freeride, try something else. If you want a rugged bike that you can run over tough terrain, cut through XC trails and get some air along the way, this is the bike for you.

Favorite Trail:   Fort Rock NH

Purchased At:   Exeter Cycles

Similar Products Used:   First FS bike, just competent but not very elite hardtails.

Bike Setup:   Stock except M424 pedals and Oury lock on grips.

Submitted by moshe oren a Weekend Warrior from quito, ecuador

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2007

Strengths:    light, cool, lefty, avid bb7, sram, taking every jump i hit, fast, great for the price

Weaknesses:    handle bar grips are little thin to my hands, but thats nothing

Bottom Line:
best bike i ever rode, took me some time before i went to all-mountain class , but i think the right choice, with this bikes you can do EVERYTHING!!!!

Purchased At:   x bikes