Cannondale Prophet 4 All Mountain Full Suspension

• Rear: Shock FOX Float R
  • Rims: Mavic XM117 Disc, 32 hole
  • Hubs: Cannondale Lefty front, Shimano M475 rear
  • Spokes: DT Swiss Champion
  • Tires: Maxxis Ignitor, 26 x 2.35"
  • Pedals: Shimano PD-M520
  • Crank: FSA V-Drive MegaExo
  • Chain: Shimano 9-speed
  • Saddle: SDG BelAir SL

Submitted by 6bobby9 a Weekend Warrior from albuquerque, nm, usa

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2009

Strengths:    The ability to change the angle before a challenging downhill is nice. It has a really smooth ride on fast, rocky descents. I love the feeling "floating on air" I get at times from this bike. Unreal. Brakes dont fade under heavy load.

Weaknesses:    Frame could be stiffer. Paint scratches easily. I would have preferred shimano components as opposed to the sram. Seems to lose stability on drops more than 2'. No lockout on the suspension. Front or back

Bottom Line:
You'd be hard pressed to find a better bike for under $1,500.00. Although it doesnt get an "A" in any one category..... I'd give it a solid "B" across the board.

Favorite Trail:   White Rock

Purchased At:   North East Cyclery

Bike Setup:   Stock.

Submitted by reddirtcrew a Weekend Warrior from st.George, UT

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2008

Strengths:    The ability to adjust the head tube angle. The Lefy is awesome in the mud. An all around great bike.

Weaknesses:    The tail is sloppy. There is lateral movement that should not be there. The Yeti 575 or the Knolly endorphin are much more rigid.

Bottom Line:
The bike is a great bike. I am at a point in my riding however that the sloppiness in the back end concerns me a lot. I can feel it when I am taking 3 to 4 foot drops and at high speeds on single track. I have wondered if this is due to a poor shop build, but after having multiple bad experiences with this shop I have simply tried to work on it myself.

While the bike is good, there are plenty of good bikes out there. I would find a great shop who is interested in helping you and start test riding as many bikes as you can. Cannondale is good, but there are a lot of great bikes out there. Find the right shop!!

Favorite Trail:   Little Creek Mesa

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   Bicycles Unlimited

Similar Products Used:   Yeti 575 and Knolly endorphin

Bike Setup:   General shop package. I did not change anything.

Submitted by hiredassassin a Weekend Warrior from Sydney, NSW, Oz Trtails yaaah!

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2008

Strengths:    This is an amazing frame. Being a heavy dude and a messy rider, i've done some damage to previous frames, though this is the most heavy duty rig i've built.
It's light for what it is, but solid as hell. No flex. Single pivot works beautifully, pedalling up is easy, flying down is just sublime!

Weaknesses:    cleat coat is peeling

Bottom Line:
This thing is awesome - i've never felt so secure and confident on a bike. took it away last weekend and had a go at some downhill - I've never jumped so far and so fast... and i could still easily pedal back up to do it again!

Cockpit seems kinda short when first jumping on board, but hit some nice berms, rollercoasters and tech terrain and it's amazingly balanced.

and it likes to fly.

I was worried about the all day ability of this bike (will be doing a 24hr XC event next month and was gonna dust off the old bike, but i'm not worried now)... it's comfy and GRIN inducing!

Favorite Trail:   mt strolmo

Purchased At:   frame only - second

Similar Products Used:   cannondale jekyl, specialized epic, giant NRS

Bike Setup:   AM beast: marzocchi 55 ATA forks, full 2008 XT drivetrain + sram PG990 cassette, Hayes stroker carbon brakes (8inch front, 6inch rear - XT centrelock rotors), Shimano XT AM rims (tubeless with nice red blinggg bits), Maxxis Ignitor

Submitted by sctrix a Weekend Warrior from Albany ny

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2008

Strengths:    This bike handles slippery nasty East Coast terrain and climbs very well for the set up. I am 200lbs and throw alot at this bike and it begs for more.

Weaknesses:    I can not say enough about how comfortable this bike feels on single track.

Bottom Line:
I know that Cannodale has developed a little reputation for frame reliability. I will say that I am very happy my previous frame cracked without a major incident. But most of all it was replaced with this frame. You can tell this frame was built for the riding that i do and I truly do not have one complaint about it. Excellent job with this frame Cannondale.

Favorite Trail:   SMBA and 909

Purchased At:   Plaine and Sons

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Jekyll

Bike Setup:   this bike is a frame replacement for my Jekyll. Manitou Minute Fork, Mavic Rims, Shimano Lx Crank, Sram X-9, and Shimano Hydro Brakes.

Submitted by Brad a Weekend Warrior from Duncan, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2007

Strengths:    Great all around bike with fair compnets. Lots of travel for the average all-mountain rider. Super light.

Weaknesses:    Rear shock could be upgraded to something with pro-pedal

Bottom Line:
Anything less than a 5 footer, roll with it.

Favorite Trail:   A-Line

Purchased At:   Revolution

Similar Products Used:   Norco Shore, Rock Mountain Slayer

Bike Setup:   XT/LX, Beefed up rims and tires,

Submitted by chris a Cross Country Rider from kennesaw, GA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2007

Strengths:    beautiful suspension, stock maxxis tires are awesome, shimano xt derailleur is plenty enough for me, everything about this bike is beautiful

Weaknesses:    costs a lot for an average income guy like me

Bottom Line:
this is the perfect all mountain single track machine. When i first saw the lefty i figured it was a marketing scheme but i could not have dreamed up a better ride. That thing had me hitting drops that would have smashed my face against my handlebars on my fuel 70. the fox float was a dream compared to the rock shox bar i was on before. This suspension kept its stiffness uphill while it soaked up large rocks and roots with ease on downhill. It was hard for me to drop double the money that i paid for my fuel 70, but if you ride rough trails 2+ times a week it is more than worth it.

Favorite Trail:   bear creek

Purchased At:   roswell bicycles

Similar Products Used:   trek fuel 70, specialized rock hopper

Bike Setup:   all stock, lefty up front, fox float r, shimano xt

Submitted by Graziano De Maio a Weekend Warrior from Milan Italy

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2007

Strengths:    very nice, stable, adjustable ribound work well, great for come up and down, perfect adventures friend

Weaknesses:    14.7 kg is little much,

Bottom Line:
soory but my english si bad

Favorite Trail:   livigno Italy

Purchased At:   milano

Similar Products Used:   is the first full

Bike Setup:   tora 80-130

Submitted by John Murphy a Weekend Warrior from Pikeville

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2006

Strengths:    Total package, it has the fit and finish you expect from Cannondale, with the raw finish, you see everything. The component selection is pretty good. It weighs a bit less than the last models, the 800. The hydro brakes are smooth and you get the heavy lefty spring when you get the xl frame. The bike fits my tall frame very well. The lefty is smooth. I love the grind lock-on grips, and the big 2.35 tires hook very well.

Weaknesses:    The seat is just a little firmer than i am used to, but it is sooooo light I aint changin it!!!

Bottom Line:
I love this bike, I am riding sections I was afraid to walk before!!! It also seems a lot lighter than I thought it would be. Moving from a hardtail to this is like sleeping on the sidewalk then hitting the tempur-pedic one night...I am seriously hooked on the full squish. I cant say enough about the lefty, it tracks so straight with no flex. If there were more flamin' chillis, I would give more

Favorite Trail:   singletrack

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   Other older prophet, and a half dozen hartails.

Bike Setup:   Stock with crank bros 5050's

New (to me) Prophet 4!

Hi guys/girls. After a 12 month hiatus away from mountain biking, im back as of today. Picked up a used '07 Prophet 4 in the raw aluminum color. My previous bike was a well-built Turner 5-spot. Couple quick questions. I'll be switching to SRAM shifters/derailleurs. What type of front do i ... Read More »

Cannondale Prophet 2 - 4 Sale

Hello! I hope I'm posting this to the right section... I'm new to the forum rules here, but I'm sure you all can point me in the right direction if not! Selling my 2008 Cannondale Prophet 2 - Pretty much stock setup, It has some brand new WTB velociraptors front and back, there is a small ding in ... Read More »

2007 Prophet 4 Lefty weight limits.

I'm just curious how big of a person should ride a bike with a lefty. Ive tried searching but haven't came up with anything. ThanksRead More »

Rize 5 vs Rize 4 vs Prophet 2

Hey guys, I'm looking for a new bike and need some advise on which route to go. I had a Super V2000 back in the day and recently picked up a Jekyll 800. The Jekyll is too big so now I need something else. I was wondering if there is a big difference between the Rize 5 and Rize 4 and a Prophet 2? ... Read More »

canndale prophet 4

Hi guys..I can pick up a used Prophet 4 for 500 bux brand new..excellent condition...my question is will this bike suppor a 6'4" 280lb guy...I think its a large frame by the way. I never had a full suspension bike so any info would b appreciated...thanksRead More »