Cannondale Prophet 3Z All Mountain Full Suspension

• Saddle: SDG BelAir SL
  • Seat Post: SDG I-BEAM SL 2014

Submitted by Jon a Weekend Warrior from Vermont

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2011

Strengths:    Light, Simple, and Fast

Weaknesses:    The Mavic rims, I've replaced them.

Bottom Line:
An overall great bike, it's old but simple. I am more into bike park (FR) riding more than anything, so I've replaced the FSA crank set with a gravity, 2 gear crank set. I wanted a bash guard for Free riding and the third ring was unnecessary. I love the option that you can position the rear shock from XC to Free Ride. Anyone who wants to take their riding to the next level with a light, simple bike should love this!

Favorite Trail:   Jester

Purchased At:   Village Bike Shop, V

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Jekyll, Scott Genius, and Yeti 575

Bike Setup:   Avid Juice sevens, Manitou swinger X3 shock, Fox Talas 32, Fsa bars-head set, sram X7 shifters, sram x9 rear Derailleur, and Shimano deore LT front Derailleur.

Submitted by aroundoz a Weekend Warrior from Nelson, BC

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2010

Strengths:    Simple design, relatively light, jack of all trades.

Weaknesses:    Wheels

Bottom Line:
It's taken this long for me to warm up to the bike and really start liking it. The rear Mavic Crossland barely lasted a year before the hub went kapooyee. I wouldn't have expected this from Mavic even on their low end wheels but the reviews of this wheel speak for the themselves.

I know the Fox Talas is a highly regarded shock but after 2 years of playing with it and communicating w/ Fox (very friendly and helpful) it simply ate me up on the bumps. Believe it or not, the Nixon was a huge improvement and I couldn't ask for a better fork (except for the hex key thru axle).

I have seem some reviewers say the single pivot design doesn't work. It does work and works great. Giving it 4 chilis for value due to the crap wheels.

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Jeckyl

Bike Setup:   Upgraded the wheels to XM719s w/ American Classic Hubs, 8 inch rotors and a Manitou Nixon Elite Fork.

Submitted by mtbprophet17 a Racer from New Brunswick, NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2010

Strengths:    Great all around Bike, particularly for going downhill. Handles well and is very responsive. Juicy 7 brakes are a definite plus, and the handmade frame is great too. The Fox 32 talas is Reliable and soft, while being rideable and not too weak for heavy climbing. Great all Mountain Bike. UST.

Weaknesses:    If the bike is not set up properly, the back shock can be too soft. The Mavic Crossland wheels are OEM and not built for what the rest of the bike is meant for. I have bent them to a point where it could not be ridden.

Bottom Line:
Great bike, reasonable price for the quality of the bike. Ton of fun to ride, will take anything most people can dish out. It can handle anything from Downhill to cross country. I love the bike.

Favorite Trail:   Lewis Morris Park

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Cyclecraft

Similar Products Used:   Specialized StumpJumper. Cannondale Scalpel 4000. Ironhorse Warrior Race. Cannondale F300

Submitted by Omar a Weekend Warrior from Alabama

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2008

Strengths:    components, quality, feel

Bottom Line:
I have changed so many bikes trying to find that one that will suit all my needs and i think this is it. This bike climbs so well for a 5" bike and it descends very well. i ride about twice a month b/c college sucks and its a worthy bike to go out and thrash. i had to get over the frame design; didn't think it looked very good, but one ride made me ignorant of all my small dislikings of the bike. I have a large and it still weighs just at 30 lbs, which is very light for a bike of this durability and girth (good word isn't it). all you need to do is try one out and you'll buy it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Can't pick just one

Similar Products Used:   Specialized enduro expert, giant AC, Trek EX

Bike Setup:   Stock with the fox talas, crosslands, etc. added a titanium seat and 410mm seatpost

Submitted by jmx600 Maxfield a Weekend Warrior from Silver Spring, MD

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2007

Strengths:    This is probably the best all mountain bike I have ridden. After riding motorcycles and going back to mountain biking I never thought I could have such a fun ride. This takes up everything I can throw at it. First time I went down a hill and hit some rocks I thought I was back on my motorcycle. very fun although climbing back up without a motor is taking some getting used to. Tubeless tires have yet to show me a flat. 3 guys with me just last weekend had pinch flats.

Bottom Line:
I mostly run 140 on the front with the Talas RLC. I have played with the lockout blowout adjust. It works real well if you have several up and downs. overall this is an outstanding bike! I think for 08 the comparable bike would be the Prophet 1. It uses the same forks, they took a bunch of good components off of the 08 so I grab a clearance 07.

Favorite Trail:   Patapsco

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Pro Comp full suspension

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Christopher Gaunya a Weekend Warrior from Wallingford, CT. USA

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2007

Strengths:    Great all around bike. Rips on single track especially with the Fox TALAS at 120mm. When the going gets rough as it often does here in CT flip it to 140mm and let'r fly. Light hucking is no problem. Awsome bike all around.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
For the money in this class of bike I don't think you can do better for the money.

Purchased At:   North Haven Bike!

Similar Products Used:   Foes FXR.

Bike Setup:   Basically stock but swapped the UST tires for Kenda Nevegal 2. 5 sticky's in the front and Kenda Blue Groove 2.35 in the back . Swapped out the stem for Thomson Elite 4x stem.

Submitted by Joshua a Weekend Warrior from Carrollton, Tx

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2007

Strengths:    Everything. Adjustability, stiff, climbs well, goes down even better, and the parts spec, talas rlc, sram, avid, and ust's stock. oh yeah built in the U.S.A. by american hands.

Weaknesses:    Not a weakness, but seat is a bit firm for my taste, but LIGHT.

Bottom Line:
This bike is awesome. I tested every bike out there on this price range and below. Rode this bike and fell in love with it. Great turning, light (for 5 in. of travel), gotta love the talas rlc, and it soaks up everthing texas can throw at it. This is the first full sups. rig for me and I ask myself, why? why did it take so long? The adjustable frame geometry is pretty sweet, although I do almost all of my riding in the xc setting with the fox set at 120mm. If you are looking into this type of all mountain, do it all bikes, get this. You wont be sorry.

Purchased At:   Wheels in Motion Plano

Similar Products Used:   hardtails...

Bike Setup:   pretty much stock, crossy xl's

what size prophet 3z?

I'm looking at a 2007 Prophet 3z in a size Large. I'm 6'2" 220. I have stood over the bike but have not had a chance to ride it due to weather. Would the large be to small? Thanks for the advice. KMRead More »

07 Prophet 3z or 08 Prophet 2 ??

I can get the same deal on an 07 Prophet 3Z as I can on an 08 Prophet 2 - $2000. It looks like the 3Z has better components. A couple of questions: Why does the 07 3Z weigh 1.4 pounds more than the 08 Prophet 2 according to Cannondale? Did something change that I am not aware of? It seems this ... Read More »

Just bought my first c'dale: prophet 3z

i love the prophet 3z, but i was wondering how tough these things are? my last bike was a specialized enduro w/ a fox 36 (didn't climb very well). i made the move to the prophet as a result of research and reading forums, etc and it seems beefy enough to take abuse and i personally think it climbs r ... Read More »

2007 Rush 3Z vs. Prophet

I am looking to buy my first full-suspension bike and I have a chance to get a great deal on a 2007 Rush 3Z. I was really thinking Prophet at first because all of my buds say that you should buy 5" travel minimum for the riding we do. Does the extra inch or so make a huge difference? I am a 200lb ... Read More »

Prophet 3Z?

Is it a mistake to consider a Prophet with something other than a Lefty?Read More »