Cannondale Prophet 2 MX All Mountain Full Suspension

• Bottom Bracket: TruVatiV Howitzer
  • Handlebars: FSA FR-330BOS, 40 mm rise

Submitted by monkey1 a Weekend Warrior from northampton

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2010

Strengths:    It just works. At very thing

Weaknesses:    Just a little to heavy,out of the box

Bottom Line:
Now they don’t make these any more, if you can get hold of an MX keep it. They just work well, I’ve hit DH with a coil over and big tyres, set in the 65.5 setting, and it just eats it. I am currently going light for some aggressive XC, it loves to just be ridden even with the 67, it still goes well, a bit of a slow climber, but every thing else is just so much fun
I’ve ridden other bikes, and had other bikes. But hell will need to freeze over before I let this go. A true all rounder that is as good as most of the new bikes, that are starting to get silly price wise. The only other bike I would consider would be a carbon rush frame just to get the weight down a bit.

Purchased At:   leisure lakes

Similar Products Used:   giant trance, hard tails, giant dh, trek 888, 224,

Bike Setup:   Verious over the past three plus years. currently running and air shock, and lighter components.

Submitted by pedro_paramo a Weekend Warrior from Mexico, DF, Mexico

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2009

Strengths:    Everything, weight, components, how it looks, how it feels when going down, suspension really blocks (im 64 kg), great for uphill.

Weaknesses:    Seat............ tssss.......... it really sucks!!! The worst seat i have ever used. Blocking the rear suspension isn't as easy as blocking the front one.

Bottom Line:
Its a great bike, the best you can get cost vs. features, light for up hill, extremely fun for down hill.

Favorite Trail:   Ajusco

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   Viansi

Similar Products Used:   Trek 4100 (not similar but former bike)

Bike Setup:   Default one.

Submitted by Johnny G a Weekend Warrior from Las Vegas, NV, USA

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2008

Strengths:    Bike is solid. I've got off a couple of times and the frame suffered no damage. Not even a paint chip. Looks amazing - Jet Black. light enough for cross country, just at 31 lbs with my set up, and with 5.5" of travel it's burley enough for down hill. Handmade in U.S.A.

Weaknesses:    Stock tires and grips. Pedals are fugly but work just fine.

Bottom Line:
If you've got a couple thousand plus and want one bike to do it all, this is it.

Favorite Trail:   Cottonwood & Bootleg

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   1st fully owned - all others are hard tails

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi,Single Track, Avid Code, Truvativ Stylo, Odi Lock Ons, Stock pedals, Fi'zi:k Gobi Ti, Sram X9, FSA post and bars, Gravity stem, Maxxis Ignitors 2.35.

Submitted by Fraser a Cross Country Rider from Glasgow

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2008

Strengths:    Frame, easy setup, comfortable, fast

Weaknesses:    Having issues with the tires, bars are bit too wide

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike at the end of 07 and been riding it ever since. It's my first full suss bike and I wanted an allrounder so decided on this, plus I saved £750 ($1,500) off the srp.

The only real issues I've been having are the tires. on long flat sections they ware you out with the massive amount of drag. And on mud they are not the best either. On gravel (wet or Dry) they perform at best. I am going to change them soon though. The saddle is also a sore point, but i will get used to it.

I generally do x country riding with rapid descent thrown in so have it generally set up in xc mode but it's still really fast downhill. I actaully raced it last year in a endurance XC race and thought the bike even did well there!

In conclusion I am well chuffed with the bike and would recommend it to anyone wishing either an allrounder, xc for long rides or FR!!.

Favorite Trail:   Kirroughtree

Bike Setup:   I've put on an xt chainset to make it easier for xc riding

Submitted by Oskar a Weekend Warrior from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2007

Strengths:    -Frame in general (geo, efficiency etc)

Weaknesses:    -none (Frame)
-Highrollers are little dragy

Bottom Line:
Update on the Prophet 2MX

I've been riding the Prophet MX now for over a year and I must say I love the bike. I've done some upgrades that I thought would be reasonable and effective to improve my riding experience. I love the aspect that you can ride this bike uphill and don't have to push like everyone else but can rip it on the way down like a Pure FR bike.
The next upgrade I am considering is a [Fox DHX 5.0] or a [Marzocchi Rocco] in 7.875 x 2.25 format. The standard would be 7.875 x 2.00 but you can use a 2.25 stroke in the XC setting and you will achieve allmost 160mm of rearwheel travel while the standard is close to 140mm.
Unfortunately the MX is no more available in 2008 as far as I know, at least not in North America. (propably not enough sales compared to the standard prophets) The MX, however, is still to have in Europe I think.
If you decide to go with the Prophet MX you won't be disapointed - It's the true 'Do-It-All-Bike' as Cannondale claims.

Purchased At:   Revolution Cycle Edmonton

-Syncros BULK 7075 WHITE Handlebars
-Cannondale Standard Stem for FR
-FullSpeedAhead Orbit Z 1.5R Headset
-Cannondale standard Grind Grips
-Truvativ HolzFeller Pedals (07')
-Truvativ Hussefelt Cranks with Howitzer BB
-RaceFace XC Deus SeatStem
-Specialized Avatar Seat

Submitted by Krusty from Wayne, NJ

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2007

Strengths:    Bombproof frame, extra large headset and handlebars

Weaknesses:    Stock pedals are ugly, stock grips suck

Bottom Line:
One of the best bikes I ever owned. This is like a mini-downhill bike only I don't have to push it on the climbs! I would recommend an even longer travel fork and rear shock like the MX 1, but the color for 2007 MX 2 kicks a*s!

Purchased At:   Frined

Similar Products Used:   Bighit 2, Slayer SXC 70, Judge 1, Dawg Deluxe

Bike Setup:   ODI Lock-on, Easton Monkeybar, Azo A-Frame

Submitted by Bad MAN a Weekend Warrior from England

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2007

Strengths:    So far so good. overall finish on the bike is of a high std. chuckable feels strong and lightish. feels like a small down hill bike in the 65.5 setting.

Weaknesses:    Rear air shock is not going to last long me thinks. Some cheepo parts, but i only got the 3. Some chain guides will not fit. That about it for now

Bottom Line:
Feels like my Down hill bike but far more versatile, with lots of set up options. i have beefed mine up a bit due to the sort of riding i do, but it's still fantastic out of the box. I have the option of putting the twin ring back on, but i manage most of the hills near me, and i'm used to the push.

Favorite Trail:   Lantrisant

Purchased At:   liesure lakes

Similar Products Used:   Norco six

Bike Setup:   150Z1 lights,single ring,MRPchain guide,hope hubs,Stype rims,carbon bars,easton stem, harder compound rear rubber.

Submitted by Nick G a Downhiller from Bristol, UK

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2007

Strengths:    Stiff, strong, light, great parts spec; SRAM drivetrain, Magura Louise FR brakes, Sun rims. Makes you go fast and want to go faster! Pearl shock and Pike forks are easy to set up and dependable.
Great for epic rides, DH, jumping, quick blasts - best bike I've owned!

Weaknesses:    I guess the stock High Roller UST ST are a little draggy, and the saddle (Fizik Gobi Ti) makes my ass hurt, but I think it takes a while to break in ;-)
The Howitzer BB crank bolts shake a little loose every 30 miels or so, no biggy

Bottom Line:
Get this bike - awesome value and a great performer. Lets me do all my riding on one bike, and makes me do all of them faster!!

Favorite Trail:   Brechfa

RS Pike U-Turn forks
RS Pearl 3.1 shock

Submitted by Oskar a Weekend Warrior from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2006

Strengths:    Very Strong and durable. Excelent geometry. Ultra-Stiff Delta frame design. Nice color scheme (Jet Black). Very stable ride, swing arm in the back is bomb proof... The RockShocks Pike suspension element in the back performs well and has varity of adjustment. The Fork in the front (RockShocks Pike 409) has great value for the price and has as well a variety of adjustments. The Avid Juicy Seven Disc Brakes are a N1 brakeset (this stuff kicks but...)

Weaknesses:    The Highroller Tires (26 x 2.35) are a pain in the but, crazy rolling resistance on pavement but they are not for pavement anyways. They perform awesome on fast descends (Lose Terain), You feel like train coming downhill...
The Seat is not my Prefference (Fi‘zi:k Gobi Ti Flex) Mu but starts hurting after 30 minutes of riding.
The RockShocks Pike Fork is a little to plush sag goes in by 30% by just sitting on bike (but i am a heavy rider 240lbs)
A little bit heavy with arround 15 kilograms (Will save half a kilogram by changing tires to Panaracer Fire XC Pro)

Bottom Line:
Awesome Rig that needs small adjustments due to driver preference but that's a thumbrule when going for high End quality equipment. With this Bike you won't be disapointed.
If you want a lighter bike go for the All Mountain Prophet Series. (Big Mountain)Prophet 1 MX and 2 MX are overbuild (Stronger Frame than the All Mountain Prophet)

Favorite Trail:   River Valley