Cannondale Prophet 1 All Mountain Full Suspension

• Frame: Prophet, 140 mm
  • Fork: Lefty Max Carbon SPV+ Ti,140 mm
  • Rear Shock: Manitou Swinger 3-Way Air
  • Spokes: Mavic CrossMax SLR UST
  • Tires: Maxxis Ignitor UST, 26 x 2.35"
  • Pedals: Shimano PD-M520
  • Chain: SRAM PG-991
  • Bottom Bracket: FSA K-Force MegaExo
  • Shifters: SRAM X-0 Trigger
  • Handlebars: FSA Carbon K-Force, 25 mm rise
  • Stem: Cannondale XC3 HeadShok, 31.8 mm

Submitted by paranet a Downhiller from Israel

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2008

Strengths:    Great geometry, really smooths out the roughest of terrains, great on the downhill track and does not have trouble climbing, adjustable geometry.

Weaknesses:    Dunno - didn't find any - the BB is a little low when going for the downhill \ freeride configuration

Bottom Line:
It turns heads - it is an impressive bike to have. I find myself flying downhill faster then anyone else and then having no competition at all going back up.

It is a great bike for the All round single tracking all mountain rider. Altough - if you want to only go downhill or Cross Country - You have better choices for both...

Purchased At:   Time Trial

Similar Products Used:   Only hard tail - but 25 years of it...

Bike Setup:   Full XT components - including wheels, Fox TALAS RLC 100-120-140 Front shock, Manitou Swinger X3 for the rear.

Submitted by Willi Coyote a Weekend Warrior from Boulder

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2008

Strengths:    Good parts.
Comfortable
Great geometry.
Fair price.
WAS made in the USA.

Weaknesses:    Poor, sorry, very poor customer service.
So many recalls, so many frame weak points.
and (did I say already) poor service.
NOISE.

Bottom Line:
It was not the best frame at the time.
Cannondale came to the same conclusion after 3-4 years.
(They stop mfg. this frame).
These were my second Prophet (I totally spent more then $ 7,000 for Cannondale products during the past 3 years.)
That’s it for me, my next bike will NOT be made by Cannondale (or Pacific as they are called now).
The warranty does not worth the paper it’s written on.

Similar Products Used:   Canondale.

Bike Setup:   XO-all over.
Shimano 535 Disk system.
Carbone parts (FSA)
Truvative 3.3

Submitted by Pedro L. Lopez a Cross Country Rider from Mendoza Argentina

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2008

Strengths:    driven right, it's smooth downhiller and a great climber even its 28 pounds

Weaknesses:    i wold recomend a better headset

Bottom Line:
Its a grat bike I recomend it. It's a really do everithing bike.
I love fox, I've became a fanatic to this suspension. You have to set it up and you'll get everything from this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Dique Frias

Purchased At:   mendoza

Similar Products Used:   GT idrive team

Bike Setup:   Sram X.0 Rear Derailleur Fox talas 32 RLC

Submitted by Brian Lehfeldt a Weekend Warrior from Fort Collins, CO USA

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2008

Strengths:    Weighth, build quality, aesthetics

Weaknesses:    None- the only thing that might make it better is to add a swing link to upper part of swing arm..ala Yeti 575...I don't notice flex, but could see where it would happen

Bottom Line:
This bike weighs around 28 lbs, handles great, climbs great (front end gets light when going gets really steep), and bombs down anything I feel comfortable going down. Single pivot design is bulletproof, attention to detail is 2nd to none (just look at the way the rear skewer tucks into frame)! I really could not imagine a better do it all bike! I am 6' and am riding a Large frame with 120mm stem, easton high rise bars, and love the fit!

Favorite Trail:   Mt. Falcon

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   built to my specs

Similar Products Used:   Yeti 575, Titus motolite

Bike Setup:   XO gripshift(cause it is the fastest) Race Face Deuss XC crank, SLR wheels, Juicy Carbon brakes, aluminum lefty SPV

Submitted by Dylan a Cross Country Rider from Jasper,Alberta,Canada

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2007

Strengths:    Overall package works great together

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
This is just a follow up to my recent post,as I now have more rides in and have tweaked it a bit. Not being biased,but I've found this bike a stellar ride for all mountain riding. You can pedal it quite good and does not have that "tank" feel nor do you actually have to lie to yourself or try to convince yourself that it pedals and feels just like a XC bike...cough cough...nomad cough cough. I'am very surprised at how well it tracks for a single pivot.Does not track quite as well as a properly set up four bar through fast rocky descents but the key to this bike is to take the time and get your suspension set up right. I've always had good luck and been able to balance my bike out nicely with Fox in the rear and Fox in the front. If you dial in your single pivot it can feel just as good as a linkage or even better if the linkage is not dialed in.
It does everything nicely,just take the extra bit of time to get it right.I find going 10-15 pounds heavier than Fox's recommendation for bodyweight works out good but I prefer a bit more of a stiff feel.Get your rebound set right and away you go!

Similar Products Used:   Have tried most of all the big names all mountain bikes

Bike Setup:   Stock 08 specs plus Thomson Stem and post

Submitted by Dylan a Cross Country Rider from Jasper Alberta Canada

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2007

Strengths:    Fantastic craftsmanship,balanced feel, just looks awesome

Weaknesses:    None really, was not sure how good the FSA stem and post were so I swapped them out for Thomson

Bottom Line:
When I went to the bike shop ,I had no intention of buying this bike as my intention was the Specialized Enduro pro. I rode the Specialized and it felt good but to me the feeling still leaned a bit more towards a free ride-dh ish feel in the cock pit. I saw the Cannondale and it looked awesome so i thought,what the heck,try it out. Well,instantly it felt great.A bit more gnarnly than say a Stumpjumper but a pinch less burly than the enduro or Nomad. The feeling still leans a bit more towards the x country feel than the enduro or Nomad which makes it perfect for me. People can say the new Enduro or nomad pedals like a x-country bike and that is a crock of crap.They are nice bikes for their intent but still not great pedlars in my opinion. The Prophet is great for those that don't quite need or want the extra little bit those bikes offer but need more than a Stumpy or bikes in its class. I'am not a big single pivot fan,but was amazed at how good this one felt.Maybe it's the pivot placement,the fox shock or a combonation of the 2 but it feels and pedals quite nice. The overall quality of the bike is fantastic and not sure what anyone else paid but I got a whole lot of bike for the price.Lookin forward to putting it thru it's paces.
I feel the older style Specialized enduro was one of the best bikes I ever had,it was an 03 pro and that chassis was better than the last 2 Specialized has thrown out there.If anyone liked the 'feel' of that bike,take a ride on the prophet1,it has a similar nice balanced feel even though not a four bar. I love this bike!

Similar Products Used:   03 Specialized Enduro Pro,06 Stumjumper Expert,05 Santa Cruz Heckler and Bullit, 07 Specialized Enduro pro, Rocky Mountain Edge and Slayer

Bike Setup:   Fox Talas,Fox RP 23,X.0 derailleur,x-9 triggers,juicy 7's,Thomson stem and post

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Hampton, NH, USA

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2007

Strengths:    Reasonably light. Efficient for 140mm travel bike. A do everything well bike.

Weaknesses:    The stock tires are a bit on the heavy side.

Bottom Line:
A solid well engineered do everything long travel cross country rig, with excellent smooth shifting SRAM componentry. The Mavic crossmax SLR wheelset is not only beautiful, but light and strong. This bike will handle just about anything you put in front of it, as long as you can keep pedaling. I Love this bike. I plan to race on it this summer.

Favorite Trail:   Bear Brook Trail System