Cannondale Jekyll All Mountain Full Suspension

• Rear: Shock Fox Float RL Pro Pedal
  • Rims: Sun Black Eye Disc, 32 hole
  • Hubs: Cannondale Fire Disc
  • Spokes: DT Champion
  • Tires: IRC Serac XC, 26 x 2.1"

Submitted by Ethan

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2014

Strengths:    I have had this bike for just over 13 years now and I love riding it, it is by far my greatest bike. I love the lefty shock and it is extremely light for a full-suspension mountain bike

Weaknesses:    No weaknesses

Bottom Line:
Awesome bike!

Submitted by Daniel Berg a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2012

Strengths:    two different personalities, getting down on trails like there were rails, it´s stunning beautiful!!

Weaknesses:    MSRP 6000€

Bottom Line:
Got mine (Jekyll Carbon 1 2012) yesterday, tried the aluminium version before. Had an old jekyll 1000 from 2003, i´m completely overwhelmed by the progress of allmountain bikes, no pedaling, absolutely stiff and precise handling, makes you go down much faster. wouldn´t spend 6000€ but got a testbike for 3300

Favorite Trail:   jubiläumswarte

Duration Product Used:   2 days

Purchased At:   ciclopia

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Jekyll 1000 (2003)

Bike Setup:   only switched the saddle to flite kit carbonio, and shorter stem

Submitted by Chachao! a Cross Country Rider from Ashland OR

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2011

Strengths:    Strong enough for aggressive XC/all mountain riding. 1.5" headtube allows for lots of customization.

Weaknesses:    Bottom bracket height is too low. Shock is frame specific and cannot be upgraded.

Bottom Line:
I've ridden it down Mount Ashland from the top about 10 times in the last three months (14 -15 miles and 7000 ft down)and ridden up halfway (6-7 miles and about 2500 ft of elevation up, one way) another 20 times or so for a total of about 450 miles in the saddle not including commuting. I've taken it off small jumps (6-8 ft)and drops (2 ft) with no problems so far.
This is my first full suspension so cannot compare to other suspension designs. It bobs a bit when pedaling seated, but this model came with a Fox Float RL Propedal (which can be locked out). When the shock is positioned in the Freeride setting (69.5 HTA), the bottom bracket is too low. With proper sag, the BB is only about 10" off the ground leaving my pedals about 4" off the ground at the bottom of the stroke. The rear swing-arm can accommodate a WTB Exiwolf 2.3 and Conti X-King 2.4. The seatpost can only go down so much because the shock is positioned directly under it. The 1.5 inch head tube is great for customization (anglesets, tapered headtubes, etc). My setup weighs in at 29 lbs. Those who want to go lighter could get down to 26 with a F-120, lighter tires, and carbon cockpit. Probably 25 with XO brakes and drivetrain.

Basically, this bike suits riders who are not worried about having the latest technology, on a budget, and like to ride up and down.

Purchased At:   craigslist

Bike Setup:   Medium frame; Rockshox Sektor 140mm Uturn; Easton XC One wheelset; BB7 185F, 160R; Truvativ Stylo Cranks; SLX shifters; XT shadow Rear; Panaracer Rampage (F) Conti X-King (R)

Submitted by dieseldem a Weekend Warrior from CA

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2011

Strengths:    Strong Frame and Wheelset, build quality and appearence

Weaknesses:    A little on the heavy side, front fork.

Bottom Line:
I purchased this bike from a guy with all the gear but no idea, who had barely ridden it and never on a trail. Even at MRSP the bike represents amazing value for money. Unless you are of pro riding standard, you will be able to tackle anything on this that you would consider on a bike costing significantly more. It handdle brakes and rides with real composure and fill you with confidence on the trail. If you can get a good used example, you won't regret it, pick one up for a bargain and spend your savings on a new front fork and upgraded brakes and you'll still have a better baki than most off the shef examples and a bundle of cash left.

Favorite Trail:   Chesboro Canyon

Purchased At:   Craigs list

Similar Products Used:   Trek 8000

Bike Setup:   Standard Float RL rear and Splice front. Standard BB5 Discs, Kendra 8 block tires.

Submitted by joeg a Cross Country Rider from Middletown, CT

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2011

Strengths:    Suspension Travel

Weaknesses:    Bottom Bracket sits too low

Bottom Line:
The Carbon Fiber Frame is made in China, hasn't broke yet. Down Whiteface Mountain the bike did well. The suspension gives you some more confidence. I am not convinced that for the price I paid that I may have done better. The weight is the same as my Proflex, which is aluminum and 12 years old but only 30% of the suspension travel of this bike. Medium size Frame, Carbon II, 29 lbs. Front heavy from the Fox shock, I'll take the weight though because the shock performs well.

Favorite Trail:   Middlesex

Purchased At:   Suburban Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Proflex 2000, I-Drive

Bike Setup:   Standard From Factory

Submitted by Jamie Whitt a Weekend Warrior from Princeton, WV

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2009

Strengths:    Love the bike! A full 5 inches of travel front and rear makes rock gardens disappear and yet it climbs just as good. The rear Fox shock has a lockout on it but I never use it.

Weaknesses:    The mechanical disc are a little trieng on long declnes but that problem is being fixed as we speak. Other than that I love the bike. excellent for new and old riders of all sorts!

Bottom Line:
I love it! Easy to go out andrack up the miles without getting bored!

Favorite Trail:   Pipestem, Pandapis, Gleenwood

Purchased At:   Adventure

Similar Products Used:   Trek Fuel

Bike Setup:   Super Splice front shock and Fox Float rear. X7 shifters and now Hayes Sole brakes!

Submitted by guell a Racer from Alajuela, Costa Rica

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2009

Strengths:    Soft, fast, strength, stability, confortable

Weaknesses:    Found nothing yet !

Bottom Line:
Have more than 30 years practicing MTB, used to race (national and international races) and love to have some extreme rides. Found this bike just to fit my needs.

I recommend it !!!!

Favorite Trail:   Whatever

Purchased At:   Ftriend

Similar Products Used:   Ufff !! various... Barracuda, Litespeed, several Treks, several Cannondales, some Specialized, some Raleight, etc.

Bike Setup:   Nice Bike !!!

Submitted by bennyjekyll700 a Downhiller from Elk WA

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2008

Strengths:    very strong frame, took a crash a whole lot better that i did, perfect welds

Weaknesses:    magura clara breaks they suck i wanna get some avid juicy 7's. And the hutchensen mosquito tires pop VERY easily

Bottom Line:
this is a great bike i use it for downhill and freeride,
it takes jumps very well lefty is the best fox float is awsome too. The day after i bought it i took it off a jump, landed crooked broke at least one of my ribs,separated my shoulder and cracked my kidney (ouch)
the only thing that was wrong was the front rim was bent a little. I love this bike.

Favorite Trail:   cherry hill in Coeur d 'Alene ID

Purchased At:   Coeur d 'Alene ID

Similar Products Used:   specialized hardrock

Bike Setup:   lefty ELO front shock,rapid fire shifters,XT rear derailuer,LX front deraileur,fox float R rear shock,SRAM 7.0 cassete SRAM chain and crank,clara breaks(soon going to change) o'neal azonic bars 2" rise ,specialized saddle,cannondale DODA expert rims and hubs,32 hole

Submitted by Jazon a Cross Country Rider from Tampa, FL

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2008

Strengths:    Frame is handmade in the U.S., looks awesome, descends extremely well, adjustable travel fork, adjustable geometry, decent components.

Weaknesses:    Stock tires were so-so, somewhat on the heavy side(I have the Jekyll 600 All Mountain).

Bottom Line:
It was a great bike for the price, they have been out of production for a few years now but I'm sure there are some deals on Ebay. I would like to try the lefty version though.

Favorite Trail:   Alafia State Park

Similar Products Used:   KHS Alite 1000, Cannondale Super V, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR.

Bike Setup:   2004 Cannondale Jekyll 600 All Mountain, Selle Italia Nova Saddle, WTB Velociraptor Tires, Specialized Enduro Grips, Kore Stem.

Submitted by Chris Clark a Weekend Warrior from Fairfax, VA, U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2008

Strengths:    IT'S A CANNONDALE/ Nice Welds/ Classic Tri- angle style Main Frame/ Low- Maintenance Single Pivot rear swing-arm /5' Travel/ adjustable rear shock (coil-over) style.-also changes the headset deg.0.3 from XC geometry to FR/AM ride.

Weaknesses:    Poor Cable routing f. Derailer/ and rear brake. due to the "S" bend w/ Mechanical Brakes -not a problem for hydro.
Rear Shock is integrated into the frame make it hard to find upgrades.

Bottom Line:
I have a lot invested in my jekyll since the fall of 2006. I've upgraded everything from stock. Built up more for Trail/ All Mountain Now-This Bike will get you out there and back.UP Hill "It climbs like a damn billy goat"and Yes this Single Pivot is Efficient w/ properly set up suspension! On the way Down it will descend with confidence, and still feel agile at speed. 5' Plenty of travel and solid frame this bike has turned me from an "Average Joe" rider to a more technical/ adventure Epic style rider. I trust my Cannondale to hold up to everything I can dish out!

Favorite Trail:   McDowell Trail systems, AZ.

Purchased At:   Washington Bike Center, Virginia

Similar Products Used:   GT iDrive 4/ Mongoose Teocali/ Trek EX 5.5/ Yeti ASX

Bike Setup:   05' Cannondale Jekyll 800/Custom Paint/08'Fox Vanilla RLC/ Fox Float RL rear/All XT Drive/ XTR Shifters/Avid Juicy 7's/ Mavic Crossmax wheelset/ Kenda Nevgal 2.35 rear/ 2.5 front stick-e for all this loose rock out here in AZ.
Race Face -(stem,bars,seatpost) CNC only!

Submitted by DON CAPS a Weekend Warrior from SINGAPORE

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2008

Strengths:    (1)One strength is actually its strength, per se'. The welds are massive yet nice and smooth. Somehow gives the impression they won't fail that easily. The large head tube also looks tough; tougher than most other bikes that use the regular size head tube. I guess this all builds up some confidence when riding tough and demanding portions of a trail.
(2)LOOKS. I really lke the looks of my older version frame, the one with the forged or bonded swing arm. I think it's called the raven type swing arm, if I'm not mistaken.
(3)Geometry adjustability via rear shock position.
(4)Did I say LOOKS?

Weaknesses:    (1)The suspension is fine, although it's not the latest in rear suspension technology.
(2)The rear shock mounting is customized, so you cant just by any after market shock. This is an issue if you want to upgrade to other models or brands such as those with pro-pedal.
(3)Rear tire clearance allows only up to 2.1
(4)I have loved this bike (frame) so much eversince I got it, that it's been hard to let go...

Bottom Line:
Really great on the trails where I ride. Confidence inspiring. Really tough. Frame is still as good as it was the day I first laid my hands on it. I think I am an above average rider (maybe just slightly above). I don't think my skills have ever reached the full potential of this frame....err...or any frame for that matter.
This bike marked my transition to full suspension bikes. I have lost all attraction to hard tails eversince. It has quite a sentimental value to me.

Favorite Trail:   Bukit Timah & Pulau Ubin

Price Paid:    $2070.00

Similar Products Used:   I would say my Morewood Ndiza because of the single pivot suspension. Although the Ndiza is a more specialized bike (designed for 4x).

Bike Setup:   01 or 02 cannondale jekyll frame (not sure about the year), fox vanilla rlc fork, 07 xtr cranks, mavic 321's on A2Z hubs, 50mm X4 thomson, race face next sl os carbon riser bar, thomson post, Avid BB7 brakes, Avid Ultimate black ops levers, 07 XTR shifters, XTR M960 rd, XTR M953 fd. Kenda nevegal at front, Panaracer Fire XC pro behind.

Submitted by eric whiteside from Osan AB, South Korea

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2007

Strengths:    Great design...efficient AND aesthetically pleasing, versatile bike, adjustability to different riding styles, beautiful welds

Weaknesses:    Poor cable routing (rear brake and front derailleur cables go under bottom bracket), rear shock leaks in cold weather

Bottom Line:
Follow up post from 21 August post:

Okay...I've riddent this thing for about 4 months now and I'm even more convinced of what I already knew...THIS BIKE ROCKS!!! It motivates me to ride more often and my riding has definitely improved...specifically my climbing. The short chainstays paired with this single pivot suspension design make for a hell of a climbing bike...even for a 200 pounder like myself.

I set the geometry back to the "middle" because the bike was very "twitchy" in the full XC setting. It became much more predictable and stable after that. I switched to low rise bars and now the bike is a little sluggish in the turns, so I'll be adjusting the geometry again later...but it's a beautiful thing to have the ability to "customize" your ride to your riding style and not the other way around.

Weak points: The cable routing is horrible for the rear brake and front derailleur. It goes under the bottom bracket...precisely where you can pick up the most water, mud, and other debris from the trail and lodge it squarely in your cable housings. Fortunately, there is an easy fix for this: Sealed cable housings. I'm running Aztec Powerlines and they work flawlessly. It's a segmented metal housing that you can bend to fit your frame but it comes with a Teflon liner that runs the length of the cable all the way to the end of the housing. Bottom line...the gunk never touches your cable so your shifting/braking isn't affected. Problem solved.

Next weakness: Fox Float RL loses air pressure in cold weather. Honestly, I don't think there's a fix for this...it's just physics. The seals probably shrink and get more brittle in cold air and the air volume decreases due to the weather I guess. I just keep pumping the shock up when it's low...which is often. No problem in the summer though.

In closing...this bike is AWESOME. I can't for the life of me figure out why Cannondale stopped making this frame in favor of the Prophet. The Prophet is a great bike as well, but I don't think the Prophet is as much of an "all mountain" rig as the Jekyll. It leans a little more towards the XC side of things. To be fair, I've only ridden my friend's Prophet in the bike shop parking lot and up and down a few curbs...but even that didn't feel the same...the Jekyll just feels "RIGHT" to me.

If you can find one in good condition, GET IT!!! I would recommend getting just the frame if you can and building it up custom, but the complete bike won't let you down either.

If you are an "aggressive" trail rider (NOT A FREERIDER) and your trails require you to suffer through the climbs in order to enjoy the descents, then this is the bike for you!!

I rated the value as a 3 only because I got a great deal from a friend...I doubt the bike shop would be able to touch the deal that I got on it.

Favorite Trail:   anything where I ride more than I push

Purchased At:   bought frame from a friend

Similar Products Used:   GT I drive 2.0 and 0.0 (2001 and 2003 frames)

Bike Setup:   Clydesdale set up...i.e. heavy bike for a heavy rider. Marzocchi bomber up front, Fox float RL rear, LX/XTR, aftermarket wheelset

Submitted by jonathan from kentucky

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2007

Strengths:    good frame design, adjustable rear height, reasonable weight, overall good bike

Weaknesses:    basically only 2 rear shocks to choose from.. but the float rl is perfect.

Bottom Line:
My dad bought me this bike off of ebay for around 800 used. it was a humble jekyll 400.. I loved it then too.. over the years as I started making money on my own I upgraded the forks, rear shock and disc brakes. I've jumped this thing off of my 4' porch several times, and just plain hit any jump I encounter on a trail.. and it takes it all in stride.. I've tried jumping my mom, dad, and brother's bikes and none of them even compare. The only problems I've had with it are the derailers are always going out of adjustment (but that's on shimanu not cannondale).

Bike Setup:   manitou minute 1 100 - 130, fox float rl, rhino lite wheels w/ disc hubs, hays nine carbon disc brake, 2.35 in. tires.

Submitted by eric whiteside a Cross Country Rider from osan ab, south korea

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2007

Strengths:    efficiency AND easy on the eyes, short chainstays great for climbing and acceleration

Weaknesses:    I haven't found any yet...I don't think I'm going to!!

Bottom Line:
I broke my SECOND GT I-drive frame. This one broke where the "pseudo seat tube" is welded to the I-drive concentric (2003 frame.) This is my second full susp. rig and I had no idea how different the Jekyll would ride. My setup is pretty heavy, but I adjusted the shock for full XC geometry and it climbs EXTREMELY well. I'm not a strong climber, but this bike does make it less of a chore than it was on the GT. The weights are very similar but the Jekyll just "feels" lighter when you ride. My setup has 5 inches front and rear and I have yet to push the limit of my travel...this bike just BEGS for me to ride harder. My first ride on it, I stated to my friend: "This bike makes me stupid!!!" I take lines that I would not have even considered before...and I MAKE them. Bottom line, I am a new Cannondale convert...this bike ROCKS...It makes me want to ride everyday again!!!

Favorite Trail:   Anything in Annadel state park, Santa Rosa, CA

Purchased At:   from a friend

Similar Products Used:   GT I-drive 0.0, and 2.0

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi Z2 Drop off, LX/XTR, Mavic 117 Disc, Avid Mechanical Disc

Submitted by Jim a Racer from Beltsville, Md

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2007

Strengths:    It's a Cannondale! So that means that it's bombproof, and built to last FOREVER!!!

Weaknesses:    Stock, it was a little on the heavy side at 27.7lbs with pedals.

Bottom Line:
When you start with a Cannondale frame you can't go wrong. Even thier stock bikes are sweet. Thier component selections may not always be the lightest, but they ALWAYS work. So like i said, I am true to my C-dales, even though I haven't been a factory rider for over 10 years. Keep the rubber side down!!!

Big "Jim"

Favorite Trail:   Patapsco State Park

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   I am an ex-factory rider who started with Cannondale back in the early 90's. So while I've tried MANY different bikes over the years, I've always remained true to my Cannondales. Currently, I own 14 of them, and I wouldn't trade any of them for anything else.

Bike Setup:   Mine is totally Custom. I started with just the frame that I bought off of ebay. Since I am primarily a cross country rider, I didn't want to build I build it like the typical free-ride bike, so I'm using a Headshock instead of the Lefty. The other unusual thing is that I am running a single 38T chainring with an Ethirteen bashguard in the front instead of the typical 3 chainring setup. So I get only 9 usable gears instead of 27 gears that just overlap. Than I added the following components: XTR rear derailluer and cassette, Avid BB7 Brakes w/ speed Dial levers, Easton Monkey Light bars, Control tech Seatpost, SLR saddle, and Mavic SLR wheels. Plus I used Avid Flak jacket full length housing on the entire bike, so I never worry about dirt and grime effecting my shifting. But the greatest thing of all is that this the bike weighs in at an incredible 23.7lbs with pedals. That's SWEET for a bike that you can actually ride without fear of breaking something.

How does claymore(26) compare to jekyll 27.5?

How does claymore(26) compare to jekyll 27.5? very interesting on this, i have own a claymore which is a great bike, but i wonder if jekyll 27.5 is better since it has a larger wheel. claymore is alloy so i think compare to a jekyll alloy without lefty max makes more sence. Thanks!!Read More »

Jekyll swing arm

Looking for a replacement swing arm type I or II for my 2001 Jekyll 2000SL. any and all help appreciated, thanks.Read More »

26" wheelset upgrade for my 2004 Jekyll

I have a 2004 Jekyll with a 140 Lefty. The bike is in great shape, and I have been thinking about getting a new wheelset to save weight and go tubeless. What would be the current lightest 26" wheelset I can get? Of course, if the lightest wheelset is $2000 and the second lightest is $900, then ob ... Read More »

Which bike to get? Stumpy Evo/Epic/Enduro Comp/Jekyll

Hi guys, I'm new to the forums, coming from a motocross background, been on motorcycles since I was 6 so moto is all I know. I've had "basic" mountain bikes and some nice road bicycles too but i'm now looking to get my first "serious" mountain bike. I'm considering the Stumpjupmer first, and that ... Read More »

2012 Jekyll Fork Upgrade

I am looking to upgrade my stock RS Sektor TK fork to a FOX Float 32 and my understanding is that the headset on the bike is 1.5". With moving to a tapered headset on the FOX, is the only thing that I need to worry about getting the fit right a headset reducer like this? Thanks. [url=http://www.bik ... Read More »