Bionicon Supershuttle All Mountain Full Suspension

4.6/5 (5 Reviews)

Frame: 7005 T6 AL
Fork: Bionicon Double Agent for S, 70-150mm
Shock: X-Fusion O2 PVA (55mm)
Headset: Bionicon FIT
Stem: Bionicon Twin-lock
Handelbar: BarFly AL 7075 (25.4mm; 660mm; 8°)
Brakes: Formula K24 180mm

Submitted by bpressnall a Cross Country Rider from Pinecrest, CA

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2010

Strengths:    On the fly adjustability way beyond any other bike. Fork travel 80-150mm with 67-73 degree head angle change. You can also do a fairly easy at home adjustment of the head angle with 4 bolts, tweaking these numbers half degree in either direction, so I have mine set at 66 1/2 to 72 1/2. Downhill bikes are usually around 66 degrees, while XC bikes are about 71 degrees. Was able to demo the bikes near the shop in Kernville, CA on real trails and then have the bike built to my specs.

Weaknesses:    Not the best bike for any one condition, but I don't ride just one condition. Had to replace a small part in fork when I first got the bike- no big deal. Not many dealers in the US, mostly just the SW.

Bottom Line:
I see the one weak rating for this bike was from a guy from Oklahoma that demo'ed the bike. The Supershuttle is not made for Oklahoma, it's made for mountains full of rocks. In my 1st 600 miles of riding, I climbed 73,000 vertical feet. I tore the rear tire up and destroyed the big ring on all the rocks, but the the bike worked great. The Supershutle frame is only about 4 ounces heavier than the Edison, but gives you 160mm rear travel to the Edison's 140mm. The longer top tube also fit my lanky body better and I thought the SS climbed as well as the Edison. If you just ride smooth dirt trails with a scatering of rocks, this bike will be overkill, better off with a more XC oriented bike like the Golden Willow. If you are a shutler, you might as well get a fourty pound bike that can't climb. If you ride everything including XC cruisers and huge climbs, but your favorite trails are technical descents, this might be a great choice for you. I have no regrets on my purchase, but it wasn't cheap.

Favorite Trail:   rocky, technical

Purchased At:   Bionicon, Kernville

Similar Products Used:   Demo'ed the Edison. Had a Proflex 957 before that, so I must admit I haven't had alot of bikes to compare this to.

Bike Setup:   Bash guard instead of big ring. I had a choice of 3 models of rear shocks. Mine has rebound and compression adjust that doesn't completely lock out, but tightens up nicely for road climbing. Crank Brothere acid pedals. Beefy tires that hold up in the rocks. Put small bar ends on, which may not be stylish to the guys I have to wait for on the climbs.

Submitted by turtlepaul a Weekend Warrior from anaheim

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2010

Strengths:    Most fun bike around.
Adjustable head angle works well.
Their customer service is outstanding

Weaknesses:    I wishe it was little more laterally rigid (but I wish this about almost every mtn bike I ride)
Wish there were more dealers.

Bottom Line:
This is fun fun bike.
The head angle adjustability works flawlessly. With push of button, head angle can go from around 72 to 67, with little change in bottom bracket height. I don't know about 3 bikes like another reviewer said, but definitely it is like having two different bikes. When you change the headangle in this bike, you are also changing the wheelbase and center of gravity. It was bit of chanllenge to adjust your body position to account for such changes, but that is what makes this truly like riding two differnt bikes, and for me, makes it so much fun to ride this bike!Initially, it took little work to adjust, but now I can do it quite easily. When riding long uphill, I put it at stif angle, probably around 71 (at the most extreme angle, the bike sort of stiffens up and little clunky. I have learned that if you give little tap on the orange button, it will relax the angle just a tad, and it will become smoother again). Then, I can just seat up straingt and paddle comfortably.
Going extreme down hill, you adjust back to 67 and the bike becomes a different beast.
I have taken this bike many places over the past year, and it has made riding extra fun due to its adjustability.
Fork and shock work well, and have held up fine.
Customer service by Bionicon is superb. Mic and his guys do try to do evertything they can to make everything go right, and truly stand by their product.

Favorite Trail:   Pistol Hill

Similar Products Used:   Turner 5., Santa Cruz Blur, K2 Attack, Giant Trance, but none really like this bike in adjustability.

Bike Setup:   Stock, except Gravity Seat post, tubeless tires, 3" riserbar

Submitted by Speiche a Weekend Warrior from Tulsa, Oklahoma

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2009

Strengths:    Adjustable geometry, light for a +6 inch travel bike, good component mix

Weaknesses:    Old type of axles are used for the front and rear, suspension also not up to date, single pivot system, cables are running on the lower tube

Bottom Line:
The adjustable geometry is really great for people living in the alps. Steep climps can be done without any lifting of the front wheel. And with a push of a button the whole geometry (front and rear suspension) change for downhill.
But the suspension did not convince me. First, it's hard to find the exact right pressure. And even when you found it, it doesn't come even close to the performance of a Fox or other known manufacturer. The only way to adjust the front fork for your style of riding is with the air pressure. Lock out is not available also.

The axles for the front and rear wheel are the same that I have on my 15 year old mtb. No 15mm or 20mm available.

Where I live I can get a '09 Trek Remedy 9 for a little less than the '09 Supershuttle 1. In comparison I would choose the Remedy, because of the better suspension (Fox), using a kind of a horst link and the better brakes (Avid Elixir).

But with better suspension available and no single pivot system, I would go for the Supershuttle.

Bike Setup:   standart Supershuttle 1 and 2.

Submitted by Matt Gordon a Weekend Warrior from Orange

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2008

Strengths:    The versatility is the absolute first drawing point for me. I'd tested a Yeti 575 and a couple others, but once I was told about the geometry adjustability, I was set. I thought that it would be a particularly strong asset for the bike, but it still blew me away. I didn't expect the 6 degrees of change to make it feel like a completely different bike.

Weaknesses:    None that I have found. I've had to get used to the geometry adjust on-the-fly, but after two rides or so, it's second nature.

Bottom Line:
I still am blown away every time I ride it. I can't stress the difference that you feel when you tilt the bike forward for climbing. This 6 inch travel beast climbs easier than the older 3 inch Giant I was riding previously. It's nothing short of amazing.

Ride one, buy one, don't bother looking back; You'll be having too much fun.

Purchased At:   Adrenaline Bikes

Bike Setup:   Full XT hardware except for Avid Seven discs, Mavic Crossrides. Total weight: 31 lbs 4 oz.

Submitted by Jason R a Weekend Warrior from Castaic, CA USA

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2007

Strengths:    We emailed Mic and Paul to see if there was a small Edison that my wife could demo at one of the shops. Mic invited us to come on out to Ridgecrest and he would take us out on a demo ride. We took him up on the offer and drove on out. We rode in the Rademacher Hills park OHV trails for little over an hour on rolling high desert terrain with a mix of sand, hardpack, doubetrack and a fast technical single track descent . The push button geometry adjustment is really simple and easy to use while riding. It becomes second nature after about 15 minutes. The weight transfer required to produce the geometry shift is inline with what most people do naturally as they approach climbing or descending terrain.

The climbing position can reach a much more extreme angle than you get with a height adjustable fork and because the back of the bike is being lifted at the same time the trail feels like it is being flattened out.

Descending is amazing. Hit the button, lean back and the bike stretches out, lengthening the wheelbase and slackening the head and seat tube angles to something equivalent to a downhill bike. The bike is sure footed and stable at speed going downhill. Point it where you want to go and hang on. The Formula brakes are very good. Smooth modulation and excellent stopping power.

One of the nicest features of the adjustable geometry angles is that you can immediately find a comfortable balance. Once you have the seat, seatpost, stem length and bar height adjusted you hit the button and lean for and aft until you find a comfortable weight distribution. You don't have to ever feel like the bike is causing you to put too much weight on the front or rear ends.

The bike is also supposed to be very easy to work on. The bearings for the swingarm are the same as the headset and don't require any special tools to replace. The fork is supposed to be able to be overhauled in 10 minutes with a 5mm allen wrench.

Weaknesses:    More people need to buy the bike to strengthen the local dealer networks. Ride one you'll like it.

Make the external rebound adjust on the fork standard.

Bottom Line:
Verasatile geometry, good weight balance, plush travel, low standover height for a long travel bike, low center of gravity, stiff rear end with large bearing surfaces (good for heavier riders), low pedal bob in small chainring, stiff fork for weight.

A really good bike for people that feel like they cannot get a good fit on other bikes. I have shorter legs and a long torso. Normally I end up on larger bikes with way too much standover or smaller bikes with long stems and and the seat pushed back on the rails. This bike deals with some of the body type variations issues very well.

Very good component specs on the bike. You can spend some money to chase grams, but for durability, performance and value the stock bike is well set up.

The geometry adjustment is not a gimmick and you don't look like a stinkbug going uphill. It just hasn't been implemented in an easy to use manner before that is light and durable.

Three bikes in one.

We are buying a small Edison I for my wife and a large Supershuttle I for myself.

Favorite Trail:   Sycamore Canyon area, Ojai, Southern Sierras