Banshee Bikes Rune V.2 Frame All Mountain Full Suspension

4.67/5 (3 Reviews)
MSRP : $1999.99

The Banshee Rune was designed to be you’re an all- in- one bike. The Rune has the pedal efficiency of a cross country bike with the durability of a down- hill bike. With 160mm of travel, you’ll feel confident that you are abl...

Submitted by Stabone33 a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2014

Strengths:    no flex, great balance of small bump suppleness and big-hit confidence; 650b option; adjustable geometry

Weaknesses:    tight cockpit

Bottom Line:
I've been riding this bike for about 18 months. Got it with the 650b wheel option and a shimano SLX/XT 2x10 setup. I climb so I can descend, and while this bike is no feather, with a 3-stage lockout and proper sag it climbs very well over rough stuff...the only limitation is on steep stuff when the front end wanders a little. But I'm not proud, in those cases I'll just hike it -- because the downs is what this bike is all about. There is a little bob while climbing, but if I'm on a fire road or long smooth climb I'll just lock it out and go.

I have 160mm of travel on the front, and with the KS link on the back, this thing is just solid. I can't tell you how many times I've run a little hot into situations where I should have been eating rocks, and this thing just plows on through. It's also super playful -- easy to pop off small features and it manuals fairly easily despite the weight - it just begs to be wound up and thrown around.

The pivots have been worry-free -- I ride in the desert southwest and Colorado, so I haven't really bathed this thing in mud, so I can't attest to its durability in those conditions, but the fine dust of the desert doesn't seem to affect the pivots one bit.

The only drawback is that the cockpit is a little tight. I bought a size medium, and I'm running a 60mm 10deg rise stem and a straight seatpost. I'm about 5'9". Some people get a size up from what's recommended, but with a little adjustment to my riding style, I'm used to it -- I wanted the short stem for quicker handling.

This bike is ideal for me, because I can pedal it uphill on the long grinds, play on the flats and whoops, and rail the downhill. When I want to hit the lifts, I can swap out the flippy bits on the rear end and slacken the geometry, and the bike's solid construction inspires confidence and makes it feel almost like a downhill bike.

Great do-everything bike that will give you the confidence you need to tackle anything but the most gnarly descents or steepest technical climbs. This bike is for people who love riding pretty much anything they are going to find on their local trails and will treat you right when you want to pack up the truck and venture a little farther afield.

Duration Product Used:   18 mos

Purchased At:   Richards Bikes (www.

Bike Setup:   SLX 2x10 cranks and front der, XT rear, XT cassette, SLX brakes. Stan's Flow EX 650b rims laced to XT hubs F/R (12x142mm rear, 15mm thru front). Race Face Respond 60mmx10deg stem, Easton EC70 carbon low riser, EC70 seatpost. Fox 34 Float CTD 160mm 27.5" front, Float CTD Factory rear shock.

Submitted by Cope

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2013

Strengths:    Suspension design, build quality, geometry, burly and stiff

Weaknesses:    Dropped chainstay

Bottom Line:
Been on the Rune V2 about a month now, this is my first Banshee and really like this frame. Pedals extremely well. Not the plushest bike I've been on, but strikes a good balance of a firm ride without being harsh. It soaks up rough terrain when it needs to. Fit and Geo are spot on. The only complaint I have is the dropped chainstay design makes setting up a chainguide with lower pully/guide difficult if not impossible with some models. I suppose not a big problem in this day and age with clutch derailleurs and specific chainrings. Build quality is excellent, hoping for long term durability. Nice job Banshee!!

Submitted by jgusta a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2013

Strengths:    Great pedaling platform, especially in technical/rough terrain while still maintaining nice, smooth and plush suspension. Absolutely no friction in the suspension, making it work great with air shocks and offer very minimal pedal feedback when riding the rough, just solid traction and smooth action. Excellent deal for pre-existing Banshee owners on upgrade program. Frame feels even stouter, stiffer and much more solid than previous versions. Doubt I will break like I broke a couple of earlier Runes in the past while riding it within it's range of use. Adjustable dropouts for your choice of geometry, wheel size (26" or 650b), and hub diameter. Great color and finish choices.

Weaknesses:    Heavier than previous version due to bearings vs bushings, rear dropouts and added gussets. Been wearing rear shock eyelet bushing/hardware pretty easily. Not sure if this is due to shock, frame or little of both?

Bottom Line:
Excellent revision to previous versions of the Rune that had it's shortcomings with durability and performance despite it being good at a lot of things. Keith (frame designer) and Banshee totally nailed it with this version and cheers to him and co. to bringing this frame to life amidst many reported issues with previous versions. Overall, this frame feels like a true "AM" bike or what one should be like to me with it's ability to get you up the hill at steady pace, regardless of how steep or challenging it may be and totally owns it on the downs regardless of terrain and features. Perfect bike for me, if you are hard on things (broke many frame, parts in past), but still do all the climbing to get to the radical descents!

Favorite Trail:   Pretty much like them all, the steeper and rougher the better.

Purchased At:   Trident Sports

Similar Products Used:   Banshee Rune V1, V1.5. Yeti SB66. Turner RFX. Azonic Saber. Ironhorse Hollowpoint.

Bike Setup:   Medium polished raw frame w/Lyrik DH fork, Monarch RC3+ shock, Flow Ex/Hadley wheels, Saint brakes/drivetrain, Chromag/Thomson cockpit.