Banshee Bikes Pyre All Mountain Full Suspension

4.82/5 (11 Reviews)

In the new world of suspension designs, the new Banshee Pyre is the state of the art in virtual pivot “all mountain” suspension systems. This bike rips up high speed bike parks, grooves tight twisty single track and has more climbing traction than a hardtail. The Pyre’s custom triple butted ½ RAD tube set is light enough for marathon racing and the hydro formed down tube with its integral gusset is strong enough for all mountain freeriding with forks up to 6”. The 3 major pivots run on heat treated stainless steel axles and sealed high strength needle bearings for durability.

Submitted by Trekbro a Downhiller from Greensboro NC

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2009

Strengths:    very versatile frame, I use it for light DH, light freeride, dirt jumping, and XC race, very strong and responsive it rides like a hardtail but the suspension is there to save you when you need it

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
best bike I ever had, I can do everything but real rough DH, I raced in XC, Dual Slalom, super D, and use it for the local dirt jumps, it handles real good, the frame I'm using is medium, i"m 5'8", for freeride I use a 55ATA and trough axle wheels.

Favorite Trail:   Owls Roost

Purchased At:   Recycles

Similar Products Used:   Transition Covert, Banshee Rune, Banshee Wildcard, Transition Bottlerocket

Bike Setup:   fox RP23, marzocchi XC700ATA, FSA xc300, XTR cranks, hope brakes, XTR derailleur shifters, JoplinR seatpost, cane creek 110 headset, awnswer protaper carbon bars, highroller semislick front, vulpine rear, xt cassette, xpedo flat pedals, SDG fly ti saddle, connex chain.

Submitted by c4miles a Weekend Warrior from North Van, BC

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2009

Strengths:    Accepts everything I've thrown at it without complaint.
Mercury finish is just beautiful.

Weaknesses:    Purely cosmetic: paint is susceptible to scratches, but I have zippers on the legs of my bike shorts.
Seattube junction looks a little klunky and seattube is interrupted, but the design and welds are sound and well-constructed.

Bottom Line:
This is an 07 pyre, bought in 08 just before the design was forked to the burlier Rune and the current XC-ish Pyre.

I'm a heavy guy, 230lbs, and this is a bike I'll happily take straight from an XC slog to the gnar of the North Shore trails in a single day. I've been riding here for about 3 years, and I still feel kind of spoiled by how this bike deals with whatever I throw at it; I've never had any indication that any problems I've had have been anything but rider error.

Climbing is forgiving, but with huge grip and good communication with the terrain; downhill is confidence-inspiring and just feels capable.

Basically, for a big heavy rider, I can't think of anything more I'd want from a trail/AM bike frame.

Favorite Trail:   Natural High

Purchased At:   On Top Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Nothing directly comparable.

Bike Setup:   Pike 426 coil U-turn, Fox RP23, Avid Juicy 5s, Kenda Nevegal 2.5s, X9 drivetrain.

Submitted by boone a Downhiller from EUG, OR, USA

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2009

Strengths:    Lateral stiffness of the rear triangle, active suspension while braking hard, very nimble, excellent climbing characteristics, low COG, nice low BB, TT and seat tube.

Weaknesses:    REAR TIRE CLEARANCE!! Bottom out is hard to set just right. Still have not found the correct bottom out setting on mine. Seems to ramp up way to fast and hard. Paint chips REALLY easily. Harder top coat maybe necessary?

Bottom Line:
Overall this is THE funnest bike I have ever owned. It has been through hell and back with me an never seems to give me any troubles. It has taken 8 hour epics and been bottomed off of a 4 ft to flat drop (Yes this is a XC bike and I know I'm not suppose to do that).
For long XC rides I add a longer stem and adjust the seat height and position and away we go. I have passed so many people on rough tech climbs with this thing. I am often baffled how I make it up things sometimes!
The frame is very stiff and combined with a low COG, this bike just begs to be ridden hard. I really feel that it is more of a DHers XC bike that a "regular" XC bike. With a shorter stem and slackend HA, this is one VERY fun trail bike. I ride this bike for just about everything, even DH races! (All but the nastiest ones...Legend is for those!)
If you are looking for a shorter travel XC/AM bike that will take a serious beating and LOVE it, this bike is for you. If you are a weight weenie looking for the next fastest thing to beat your buddies to the top of that 11 mile gravel road with a steep twitchy HA...well you get the idea. Buy one. rip it. be happy!

Purchased At:   Life Cycle bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Turner 5 spot, giant reign, turner rfx, turner 6 pack, turner 5 pack, santa cruz heckler.

Bike Setup:   Large Pyre frame, rp23 shock, pike 454 coil u-turn, E13 Lg1 w/34 tooth front ring, 170mm holzfellar cranks, avid code brakes, wtb fr wheels, wtb hubs, bar and stem. wtb devo saddle. Schwalbe nobby nic tires (2.35 front-will not fit in back) (2.2 rear)

Submitted by ronoranina a Cross Country Rider from NJ, US of A

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2009

Strengths:    .. has a solid suspension design that soaks up bumbs while virtually eliminating sqauat on fire roads and climbs = 0 need for propedal or platform. the 4.5 inches of travel you get with this frame feels like more when you touch down after launching off of something. it is also predictable in the air. the odd weird landing is soaked up with ease.. frame feels really balanced, is stiff laterally, and quiet with little chain slap and absolutely no creaks.

the PYRE can be leaned into turns confidently and carves single track superbly. it begs to be ridden faster and when you ablige it does so in a stable manner.

the frame comes faced at bb and headset, and the white powdercoat has been reasonably durable. it also uses bushings, which are cheaper than bearings, and i think better suited to this application based on what i've read... do your own research and i think you will agree. the PYRE also comes with an extra derailleur hanger and a few extra bushings. they even included a seatpost, which i put on the wife's old hardtail.

Weaknesses:    i really haven't found any. i often wonder why it is not more widely heralded or commented on. i think it is loads better than my old 06 reign for the type of riding i do, as it should be, and somewhat better in some areas in general. but that is for another discusion.

Bottom Line:
this is a bike that i will keep for atleast a few riding seasons. i can not find fault with it and when i compare it to bikes from more expense manufactures like turner, knolly etc, i can not find enough reason to part with it for another one of the so-called "boutique" brands now or any time soon.

For a 4.5 inches travel trail bike it really handles the DH well. the stability it has rivals that of my old reign, and that's saying alot considering it's a lighter frame that has an inch and half less travel, as well as different geometry. It also goes up well. this is welcomed as I enjoy, and do plenty of climbing.

I think the suspension on this bike is a jewel. VF4B as it is called is similar to MAESTRO and DW LINK in its characteristics. without getting into all of the technical explanations about why this is (which abound on this website and can be found quite easily), i'll just say it works just as well as the MAESTRO suspension design, which i've ridden personally, and liked quite a bit.

overall, this so far has been a durable frame. I ride it like a rode my REIGN (aggresively on trails - no freeriding) and it has held up admirably. if your looking for a bike that climbs and descends equally as well, this is one that is often overlooked but definitely should be considered.

Favorite Trail:   don't have one yet

Purchased At:   speedgoat

Similar Products Used:   i had a reign but i think the two bikes belong in different categories and thus are not similar, other than the fact they are both mountain bikes.

Bike Setup:   magura thor fork, XO rear derailleur, xt front, XTR cranks, thomson seatpost and stem, manitou swinger X3 (i like this shock), 819 rims on hadley hubs formula k 18s ...

Submitted by LIGHT a Cross Country Rider from Vancouver, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2008

Strengths:    Looks good, stiff and should be strong. Climbs well with no noticealbe bob. It can even take the odd drop and jump.

Weaknesses:    Could be a little lighter frame.

Bottom Line:
After years of riding long travel, 40 lb shore bikes it is great to have quick light bike to ride all the same trails and know it will still work at the end of the day.

Favorite Trail:   Upper Oil Can to Pink Star Fish

Purchased At:   Big Jay's

Similar Products Used:   Rocky ETS-X

Bike Setup:   Pike 454 air, Fox RP23, Raceface Deuce cracks, Joplin post, Juicy 7's and some XTR with a 70mm shorty stem and chain guide (Shore meets 4X set-up). Weighs about 31 lb but could go with lighter more xc wheels and bring the weight down.

Submitted by MartinS a Weekend Warrior from Fernie, BC

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2008

Strengths:    This is for the 08 Pyre, so it is a bit more XC oriented than the previous version, and has 4.5" of travel as opposed to 5.5".
So far the bike has been great, it is very stiff torsionally - almost as stiff as my Nomad. There have been no creaks, the new bushing system (similar to Turner) feels smooth and the grease gun system is simple and sharply designed, the cable routing is nice. The frame is well finished with the head tube, bb, and seat tube all faced and chased. Banshee also supplies you with a spare derailleur hangar, extra shock hardware, and extra pivot bushings - they obviously want to keep you riding!
Also of note is exceptional chainring clearance, chainsuck should be almost impossible, and tire clearance is also very good.
Being a Banshee it goes downhill really well, often forget I'm on a XC/Trail bike. Overall handling is very good even with my 140mm fork - it was designed around a 120mm fork which would probably be a better choice for most terrain. It climbs respectably well too, would do better with a 120mm fork though, but that was my choice and for the area that I live I made the right choice.

Weaknesses:    Honestly so far I can't think of much. Water bottle cage mounts would be nice to have for epic rides when you want both energy drinks as well as water. The frame is probably heavier than something like a SC Blur XC or Moto Lite but it is also most likely more reliable and being a bigger guy I personally don't mind. Currently my build is a bit under 30lbs with no weight weenie stuff, I could easily drop another pound with minimal effort.
One issue that is being addressed is with the valving on the rear X3 shock, I'm missing about .3" of the stroke. This isn't an issue with the RP23 equipped versions though.

Bottom Line:
I really like it, I've been describing it as a Blur XC for clydes and those who want a solid performing trail bike that is easy to maintain. It handles really well, it is fairly nimble for an XL frame and it goes where you point it, helped by the through axle Minute Elite fork. I've put a fair amount of miles on it so far and even with the 'not quite tuned' rear shock it's been great, no issues regarding the frame what so ever, and the travel that I am getting is smooth and controlled. I will update once I get the newer valving done, if there is a noticeable change in performance but so far so good!!

Favorite Trail:   The Slunt

Similar Products Used:   Blur Classic, Blur LT, RM ETS-X, Titus Moto-lite, GT I-Drive of some sort, Kona Kikapu

Bike Setup:   XL Frame, Manitou X3 shock, Manitou Elite Absolute TA 140, 08 XT drivtrain, I9 or Hope wheels depending on tire choice, Hope stem, Easton carbon bars.

Submitted by Eric a Weekend Warrior from Jersey Shore

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2008

Strengths:    Very agile and quick on tight, fast singletrack, no pedal bob, tough as nails, it's a BANSHEE.

Weaknesses:    None yet...

Bottom Line:
I have only had it a short time and ridden it a few times on fast flowy singletrack with roots and small drops, but it has far exceeded my expectations. I have been a die-hard Hardtail rider since birth (not counting freeriding at DIABLO). I think the best hardtail $ can buy is Banshee's Scirocco (unless you are an XC-racing weight weenie, like I was in my former life). Anyway, I decided to give FS a shot when a great deal on a PYRE fell into my lap. The frame is beautiful, a work of art macde with pride and love. I am not a fan of Canadians, but this BC-born beauty is fast becoming a great companion. I was reluctant to make the switch to FS because I thought it would kill my climbing skills and my out-of-the-saddle hammering speed. I have tried a few other FS bikes but did not feel comfortable. I felt comfortable on this from the first minute. I am 6'1" and 195 pounds- the LARGE is perfect for me. I fear that I may not be riding my Scirocco anymore. The PYRE is rock solid, no creaks or play in the suspension and I am sure it can take way more abuse than I can give it on any NJ trails... could even be a decent lift service park bike with a beefy fork and wheels. Love it. Even at full retial price, it is sweet and cheaper than comparable "big-name" rides that are probably welded by some 9-year-old kid in Cambodia.
5 Flaming turds from me, all day, every day. Boo-YAH.

Favorite Trail:   Hartshorne/ Allaire

Purchased At:   craig's list

Similar Products Used:   Banshee Scirocco, Santa Cruz Blur LT & 4X, Transition Bottlerocket, Transition Dirtbag, Transition Preston

Bike Setup:   Fox 32 Vanilla RLC, Fox RP3 Push'd, Formula K-24 discs, X9, sunline stem/bars...

Submitted by Charlie a Weekend Warrior from Michigan

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2008

Strengths:    Strong frame, really eats up the chatter, very little bob or kickback, excellent climber with Maxxis minions (kinda defeated my "lighter is better" mentality).

Weaknesses:    Came with a Float R that was too short instead of an RP23 as advertised. The wrong type of front derailer was installed by the dealer Adrenaline bikes. Banshee's support really isn't so wonderful since they dont post a phone number and couldn't simply send me or sell me new bushings as I had asked without having to get someone from adrenaline to do it after over a month of calling and emailing back and forth. Banshee shouldn't let substandard companies sell their products.

Bottom Line:
From the very beginning there were problems with what came installed on the frame, overall I think the pyre is a great bike so buy one from some place besides adrenaline bikes as they have misrepresented what they were selling me and are unwilling to correct their mistake. As I said above they installed the wrong rear shock and front derailer. The derailer was a side-swing type xt which doesn't work with this type of frame, it crashes into the cogs (no you cant just slide it up higher) and you can't shift onto the large ring in front because of this. Adrenaline was supposed to pay for shipping so I could send them back the derailer and the rear shock to get the right shock and reimburse me for having purchased the right derailer. The first time I asked adrenaline to do this was last fall...I tried again once I found out the shock was the wrong size causing the travel and geometry to be incorrect. So...Adrenaline bikes aside this frame is great, it's light, looks great and has a great suspension design. I have since purchased an 08 Yeti 575 because I know their service actually IS good, plus I prefer the snappy feel of a single pivot even if my teeth rattle a little more going downhill.
Just waiting for spring...
The low rating is due to lack of good service and the fact that Banshee allows dealers who defraud their customers to sell its products.

Favorite Trail:   Bareback

Purchased At:   Adrenalinebikes

Similar Products Used:   Yeti Kokopelli, Specialized stumpjumper M2 hardtail, Kona dawg deelux

Bike Setup:   Fox float 32 140mm up front, sram x9 rear derailer, 08 xt cranks, maxxis minion dhf...

Submitted by Andy Wilson a Cross Country Rider from Canada

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2007

Strengths:    Amazing Climber, and great suspensions performance... it's like it isn't there until you need it, I never notice any pedal bob and it absorbs bumbs way better than other bikes I have ridden. Great geometry. Best customer service in the industry that I have ever come across.

Bottom Line:
The Best bike I have ever ridden for all day epic rides from super tech steeps to flowy single track.

Favorite Trail:   Comfortably Numb

Similar Products Used:   Giant Reign and trance, Iron Horse Hollowpoint Mk III, Specialised Enduro and S-works

Submitted by Jeff a Racer from Scottsdale, AZ USA

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2006

Strengths:    Frame construction, welds, and color, Stiff, and the suspension is a work of art.

Bottom Line:
Buy this bike they know what they are doing and build a remarkable product.

Purchased At:   Phoenix