Windsor Cliff 29er 29er Hardtail

• Bottom Bracket: TruVativ GXP Exterior Bearing System
  • Shifters: SRAM X.9 Trigger, 27-speed
  • Hubs: Gravity Sealed Bearing Disc, 32H
  • Spokes: 32 Stainless Steel 14 gauge
  • Stem: Windsor 3D Forged Al 1 1/8"

Submitted by Andrew Ferrell a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2012

Strengths:    Durable, affordable, all parts are no-frills working class all the way.

Weaknesses:    Boring frame color? Would prefer a cromo frame.

Bottom Line:
I have had my Cliff 29er since 2008. I ride in Phoenix at South Mountain (Desert Classic Trail) and Papago Park most often. I think that if you learn to ride in the desert, you can ride most anywhere. The terrain is very rocky with lots of loose gravel and sand. I've swapped out the seat for a used Brooks B17 that I got for a smoking' deal. I upgraded the derailleurs from X5 to X7 only because I crashed and bent the original rear X5. Honestly, even if I hadn't changed those things, the stock bike is high functioning. Now, I don't go bombing hills or do acrobatics, I just like a good ride. If a good ride is your thing, this bike is PERFECT for you.

Favorite Trail:   Desert Classic at South Mountain

Duration Product Used:   1-2 rides per week, an hour a ride.

Purchased At:   Bike's Direct store

Submitted by wyomont a Cross Country Rider from rocky mountains

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2011

Strengths:    Great ride, low price

Weaknesses:    This is very minor, but the "y" seat stay is too simplistic looking- could use some refinement!

Bottom Line:
Last year I built my wife a 29er using a Performance frame and was quite impressed with the ride and quality of such an inexpensive frame. Wanting my own 29er but not having the money for a big brand name, I searched E-Bay all winter until just the right deal came along.
The offering was a Windsor Cliff 19" 29er frame. After some research, I learned that this frame is built in the same factory as the Performance frame, along with Fuji and some others. I already had most of the parts, so I figured I wouldn't lose much if I took a chance on it.
I live out in the country and have 2000 BLM acres practically all to myself, so there is no need to be embarrassed about riding around on a "cheap" frame.
My playground has many miles of single track with virtually every condition encountered while riding- steep climbs, long climbs, technical sections, downhills, drops, jumps, sand, gravel, mud, rock, and even inconsiderate equestrians.
After six rides, I am still VERY happy with my purchase and would recommend it highly to anyone who is interested in saving some dough on a frame that rides as well or maybe even better than the big names. The question of long term durability still stands, But I don't see this as a problem so long as it is not abused.

Favorite Trail:   all

Similar Products Used:   Fischer, Cannondale, Giant, Kona, Performance

Bike Setup:   Reba SL fork ,Mach 1 wheels, Ardent tires, and Deore XT components.

Submitted by mgsqlpro a Weekend Warrior from Miami, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2011

Strengths:    29ers are awesome for rolling over obstacles, but have trouble on tight turns.

Weaknesses:    Cheap frame. Mine cracked after about a year. The warranty exists just in theory. Horrible seatpost and saddle.

Bottom Line:
Buy the bike for the parts, if you are a serious rider you cannot rely on this frame.
If I could go back I would go for a lower end brand name, afterall you can always upgrade the parts, but the frame is what makes the bike.

Favorite Trail:   Markham Park

Purchased At:   bikesdirect.com

Similar Products Used:   Treks and specialized.

Bike Setup:   Upgraded seatpost, saddle and installed tubeless tires.

Submitted by wamba5 a Weekend Warrior from Ohio

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2010

Strengths:    Nice frame, Low price,

Weaknesses:    Seat post is junk. (it creaks badly)

Bottom Line:
If you want a nice bike on a buget, and dont care about having a namabrand frame, this is your bike. The componets are worth more than the bike. And it's a Fuji Tahoe with windsor decals on it. They cut corners on the seat post, stem, and handlebars, but they are easy upgrades. I replaced my seat post with a Sette APX Alloy post. living with the handle bars for now. A Great Value!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   All single track

Purchased At:   bikesdirect.com

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Marlin

Bike Setup:   Sram x7, Jucy5 disks, RS Tora Air with motion control dampining. wtb speeddisk 29 wheels.

Submitted by Chuck a Weekend Warrior from Port Henry, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2010

Strengths:    Value, value, value.

Weaknesses:    Derail. Hangers are Horrible!! Also, Seatpost, wheels, bottom bracket... and now FRAME??

Bottom Line:
I've got a fledgling mtn bike club and a pile of bikes in my garage. We ride local trails that are basically ATV and logging roads, none of this groomed mtn bike park stuff. No LBS, so I've bought 3 from bikes direct in the last 1.5 yrs. My friend and I both bought this 29er last summer. Derailleur hangers are terrible. Very soft metal. Minor crashes result in bad shifting. After going thru our 2 spares, I bought 3 more from bikes direct. Finally, got two from derailleurhanger.com. You need No. 25 (for Fuji). Wheels. On all 3 of these 29ers on bikes direct, they look like the same spec. They are mediocre. My friend's rear came out of true in a few rides. I fixed it, then a crash destroyed that wheel anyway. He got my wheels, and I bought Mavic A317. So one set of speeddiscs have survived 1.5 seasons. His seatpost got stripped quickly, since we are both right around 200lbs, we just bought better "all mtn" grade posts rather than fuss with it. His bottom bracket was loose at the start of this season, continue to ride until it grenades. But, to top it all off, his FRAME broke, the weld at the top of the seatstays to seat tube. So we are sending emails to see how to warranty. These are still fantastic bikes for the price, but if you really use them for trail rides, you should be realistic and expect to upgrade parts. Last year, I think a Gary Fisher 29er with a entry level fork was still over $1K. So these things are still a great deal from bikes direct.

Favorite Trail:   Still looking for it!

Purchased At:   Bikes Direct

Similar Products Used:   Rigid mtb's in 1990's, rode Access 26er frame w J3 fork and BB7's for 3 years, then got this 29er in 2009.

Bike Setup:   Swapped crank on mine to 170mm (like to sprint). Better seatpost. Now Mavic A317 rims and XT hubs too.

Submitted by NTXrunner a Weekend Warrior from Arlington, TX USA

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2010

Strengths:    Climbing and smoothness on rough terrain. It shifts easily and I can always find a sweet gear when needed.

Weaknesses:    Weak tires. Sidewalls feel like they are paper thin.

Bottom Line:
I will never go back to a 26" bike. After riding the Windsor 29er and going back to ride my Motobecane it feels like going from a Hummer to a Yugo. I just got back from the Austin Muddy Buddy and at 47 years old I held my own on the bike with guys much younger. I know it was the bike and not the rider.

Favorite Trail:   Boulder & Cedar Hill SP

Purchased At:   Bikes Direct

Bike Setup:   Stock from Bikes Direct except for Slime tubes added 1st week.

Submitted by BGenius a Weekend Warrior from Phila, PA

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2010

Strengths:    looks great. great components.

Weaknesses:    far from 90% assembled.

Bottom Line:
just got my cliff team 29r. shipping was as advertised. wish it were easier to put together.. that sh*t is complex. dropped it off at my LBS to be assembled proper. hope it rides like it looks.. coming off a department store full suspension, which i loved. i'll post an update post-ride. holla back if you have an opinion.

Favorite Trail:   Middle Run

Purchased At:   bikes direct

Submitted by TwoHeadsBrewing a Cross Country Rider from Norcal, USA

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2010

Strengths:    Hydraulic Brakes, Air Fork, SRAM X-7's. Great components.

Weaknesses:    - Sizes run big. 17" a tad too big for 5'8" rider.
- Seatpost, stem, handlebars are all no-name cheap parts.

Bottom Line:
Great bargain, the main parts alone are worth the cost of the whole bike. You cannot find a bike anywhere with hydraulic brakes, and air fork and X-7 drive components for this price. It even includes some decent clipless pedals for free that sell for about $60 elsewhere online.

As noted, the frame sizes are a little big compared to other manufacturers. Just pay attention to the stated geometry and you should be fine. The bike is even a tad big for me for the standover, but the top tube length is perfect. Once I've got a foot clipped in this is not an issue, and the bike feels perfect when I'm in the saddle. Since I don't find myself straddling the bike much, this is a non-issue for me. If this is a problem for you, consider swapping over the components to a 16" Sette Razzo frame ($200) or a Access XCL frame.

As for the ride quality, it really is smooth and stable. The air fork just gobbles up any terrain you throw at it, and the lockout is great for those hardpacked trails and fire roads. The amount of adjustment in this fork and it's motion control put it heads and shoulders above the Dart 3 and comparable forks that come on bikes at this price point. The 29er wheels seem to make the ride more stable, and it feels easier to pick a line and stay on it. It feels easier to balance on than my 26" bikes, but it climbs just as well if not better. On the loose gravel sections, it feels like I'm not sliding around as much and more power is getting to the ground. The different geometry, with the handlebars above the saddle takes some getting used to but is very comfortable. It also feels like I have more control on those technical sections, and when I'm standing up.

I'll be posting another review once I've logged a few more trips on the bike. But for now this bike is an incredible deal, and well worth buying over the internet and building myself. It would even be worth it to pay a shop $50-100 to assemble and tune it, if you're not so mechanically inclined.

Favorite Trail:   Bidwell Park

Purchased At:   BikesDirect.com

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Hardtail, Giant Rincon, KHS rigid MTB

Bike Setup:   Small 17" frame, Avid Juicy Five Brakes, SRAM X-7 deraillers, Tora Solo Air w/ Motion Control Lockout, WTB Speed Disc rims, Conti Mtn King 29x2.2" tires.

Submitted by biking legend a Cross Country Rider from brick, nj

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2010

Strengths:    The brakes and conponents are almost the best for the price. Not possible to get a better group for the price.Havent failed me once except once. Also, it is like riding a piece of butter

Weaknesses:    The skewers although I dont even go offroad have bent already. Also, the tire popped on me twice.But bikesdirect helped me with all of them.Once for cosmetic damages they promised 25 dollars to be back on credit card but didnt deliver. Other than that everything went well.

Bottom Line:
Fuji charges 1400 for same bike except different painting. Also fuji bottom tube is thinner at bottom. I actually preferr this frame. So all in all I am impressed with the value. Few problems but at least bikesdirect helped to fix them. All you do is tell them

Favorite Trail:   sawmill tract

Similar Products Used:   100 dollar walmart bikes. They are terrible

Bike Setup:   sram x.5/avid juicy 5/ truvativ cranks/ wtb speed discs/ wtb seats/ continental mountain king tires / fuji frame.

Submitted by chazz46 a Weekend Warrior from st louis mo

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2010

Strengths:    reba/x9 group

Weaknesses:    stock hubs/overall weight/buying on line not from lbs

Bottom Line:
first 29" bike will never go back to 26" reba is smooth x9 group is as good or better then the xt i had on dale over all bike is heavier then my 26 but don't really notice this bike totally out climbs my 26 and is less twitchy on the down hills buying from bikesdirect was easy have had no issues with bike after i year of riding if your are comfortable buying on line you can't beat this deal

Favorite Trail:   any/all

Purchased At:   bikes direct

Similar Products Used:   c-dale 700 all xt

Bike Setup:   reba/x9group/avid juicy

Submitted by lukefb a Weekend Warrior from dallas

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2009

Strengths:    Components, Looks, price.

Weaknesses:    Having to put it together if you are not a experienced bike guy. You can do it but it is not a 1hr job. You will also need a bike stand. I spent some extra $ to have bikeshop put it together.
Did get a flate on the first ride.

Bottom Line:
I love the geometry. First ride was smooth. Up and down the bike performed great. I am sold on the 29ers and on Bikesdirect.
I can ride with confidence and know I have a high quality machine under me.

Favorite Trail:   grapevine

Purchased At:   bikesdirect

Bike Setup:   Windsor Cliff29 Team Mountain Bike with SRAM X9 27 Speeds
Rock Shox Reba 29

Submitted by Supergoat a Weekend Warrior from Hoboken, NJ

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2009

Strengths:    Value at this price point is off the charts.
Great components.
Very nice looking bike.

Weaknesses:    Handlebar was a little too stiff for me. Switched to an Easton Monkeylite XC Riser.
The Conti Mountain King 2.1 tire blew the side wall on the second ride (on asphalt) for no apparent reason. BikeDirect didn't want to honor warranty. I switched to Panaracer Rampage.

Bottom Line:
If you want to save some cash and get a bike with great potential this is where to go. Be aware that the BikeDirect people were giving me the cold shoulder on the faulty tire until I was forced to threaten them. Also, unless you are a bike mechanic take it to the LBS for proper set up and tuning. Still, no regrets. Great riding bike and fantastic components at excellent price.

Purchased At:   BikesDirect

Bike Setup:   Windsor Cliff29er Team
Rockshox Reba Fork
Avid Juicy 7 Brakes
SRAM X.9 all around

Submitted by MTBFresh&Easy a Racer from Lost Wages, NV. USA

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2009

Strengths:    VALUE!! You cannot buy the group for the price of the bike. X-9, truvativ, juicy 7, WTB, great stuff.

Weaknesses:    I have bent the rims a few times now, but I am a aggressive rider. I am also thinking about upgrading the front to something a little more stiffer. A little on the heavy side for racing, but I race it anyways, total gas passing 26ers on the downhill sections.

Bottom Line:
Great entry level 29er, if you are thinking about 29ers (like I did) there is no better value out there! There really is no disadvantage to a 29er versus 26er. When you are in the cockpit, you will sit at a more up right position and when you are standing the low top tube is never a problem when dealing with tech. terrain. I am glad I purchased this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere in the mountains

Purchased At:   Bikedirect.com

Submitted by beatitup a Weekend Warrior from Orlando FL

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2009

Strengths:    Same bike as Fuji! Half the price! Can't even buy the components for the cost of the bike!

Weaknesses:    Stock stem and handle bar are ok, but for the price they are good! Other than that what weekness!!

Bottom Line:
Bought bike from LBS who happens to own bikes direct. Came with full life time frame warranty and maintainance! This bike rocks. I'm a big guy 6'5' and 265 this bike is perfect!! Don't hate because its not a "big" name manufacterer!

Favorite Trail:   Snow Hill