Waltworks Frame 29er Hardtail

4.78/5 (9 Reviews)

custom steel frames

Submitted by andyjensen a Cross Country Rider from Boulder, CO

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2010

Strengths:    Custom made quality and fit. Great individualized service. The best riding bike I have ever owned.

Weaknesses:    Was maybe a little heavier than I wanted (29# on the nose) but I never think about this or notice this when I'm moving - so it is a moot point of contention. Bit of a wait, but Walt is steady and delivered more or less when he said he would.

Bottom Line:
Walt is an excellent bike builder. He knows his business and makes a bike that handles, rides, climbs, and do everything else you want your bike to do incredibly well. I have a steel full suspension, with the brilliant Ventana rear end. Man, Ventana deserves my praise here as well - their design is infallible, stiff, quiet, smooth, carefree. I see why so many custom builders are willing to put their names on a bike with Ventana's parts. I really wanted a rigid bike, but I'm getting old and a buddy said I needed a FS set-up. I listened, and I'm glad. The bike looks great - great build quality, and all the parts went on cleanly and fit perfectly. I have the frame mounted front derailer - great performance. The bike is just flawless, one I will keep forever. Far exceeded my hopes - I had my doubts that any FS bike would make me content, but this bike just nailed it. Great value because I ride with a big smile on a bike I'm proud to own, and one I will keep until I fall off my rocker. Walt and steel have convinced me that a custom FS bike, or rigid for that manner, is a great way to go. My next bike will be another Walt, no question.

Favorite Trail:   Centennial COne

Purchased At:   Walt

Similar Products Used:   I guess I've owned a dozen bikes: Moots 29'r YBB, Turner Sultan, Willits Townie, Santa Cruz Blur, more all top notch builds

Bike Setup:   XTR, DT with flows, Fox 100mm, all the good stuff

Submitted by D. W. Zombie a Cross Country Rider from NJ

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2008

Strengths:    clean craftsmanship, tailor made fit, excellent handling, superior customer service, reasonable price.

Weaknesses:    Four month wait for the happy ending.

Bottom Line:
Shopped around for my first 29r and test rides on prod bikes left me wanting more. Saw the affordability of a WW. Took the leap and told Walt what I liked about my current 26rs on the fit form. Walt delivered the fit and geometry I desired.
I feel very confident on the bike (much more confident then on previous bikes) and haven’t changed anything on the bike since the build. And I can’t think of anything about the bike I would want to change. Nice!

Favorite Trail:   rattling creek

Purchased At:   waltworks.com

Similar Products Used:   Geared Kona Unit 29 (Bike and Bean day rental), parking lot spins on other major manufacturers’ 29rs.

Bike Setup:   Std. El Jefe w/ 3x9 X9-XT-LX drivetrain, F29, Juicy7s, LaceMine29 DT wheelset. My bathroom scale (take it for what its worth) weighs it at under 26lbs.

Submitted by albert from Albany, CA USA

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2008

Strengths:    solid frame

Weaknesses:    Only real grip is same for many builders. Rear track ends are not angled so you must adjust the brakes when ever you change gearing (wheel position for / aft). Minor gripe

Bottom Line:
Purchased used bike from Walt along with a new fork. I lucked out in that I'm pretty close to his size and weight so it fit well.

Bike and fork have a good feel. Bit more stable than the Dambala but not sluggish at all.

Noce basic singlespeed 29er. No fuss no muss I just ride it.

Purchased At:   waltworks

Similar Products Used:   voodoo dambala setup singlespeed

Bike Setup:   single speed fixed/free. Mullet brakes, Disc up front V in the back. 34 20 gearing, little tough on some east bay climbs but OK overall.

Submitted by Stephen Lynch a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2007

Strengths:    PERFECT fit, reasonably light (esp since i cheeped on components), climbs like a champ and handles easily and confidently. great fun to open up and just let run on the dh, too. this guy (walt) knows what he's doing.

Weaknesses:    None come to mind.

Bottom Line:
Walt is keen on getting anyone interested on a bike that they will enjoy for the money they can afford. His emphasis is on getting the frame and fork just right for rider build and style, and this is something he's VERY good at. Lots of interaction in the building process. Friendly, funny, and all those things -- most importantly very knowledgeable and capable, and flexible. Check out his blog: waltworks.blogspot.com for an entertaining and educational look into his frame building and racing.

My basis for comparison might lack some, but suffice it to say that every time I ride this bike I enjoy it more. It almost gives the impression that the bike is learning how I ride ... spooky cool.

i wouldn't discourage anyone from getting one of these bikes. if you can't afford it just yet, hold off on buying a lesser bike and save those pennies till you can.

Favorite Trail:   San Juan Trail

Purchased At:   waltworks.com

Similar Products Used:   This is my first 29er, AND my first custom bike. honestly don't see needing another one, except maybe to go single-speed or something.

Bike Setup:   geared with a hodgepodge of shimano (deore,lx and xt) and sram (x9). disc. rockshox reba race.

Submitted by Rob a Cross Country Rider from Sydney

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2006

Strengths:    Nice neat welds, simple clean looking frame, good value, strong robust frame

Weaknesses:    None I can see

Bottom Line:
Very nice bike, love the way it rides, Walt's 29er has opened up a whole new world of cycling. Don't think I will have another 26er or full sus bike for quite a while. I look at alloy frames now and they don't interest me at all, and I didn't think I would become a steel frame zealot. Would highly recommend a Walt frame and a 29er. I ride this frame and think I will still be riding it in 10 years, it's that solid.

Purchased At:   Second Hand

Bike Setup:   Reba, BB5's, XT hubs, thudbuster, 3x9 shimano

Submitted by keith a Cross Country Rider from HB CA.

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2006

Strengths:    Light, fast, strong, and resposive. Best handling bike yet. Perfect fit. Walt has great customer service and a nice warrenty.

Weaknesses:    Some of the powdercoat was removed on the inside of the chainstays from a muddy ride this winter. A little clear nail polish keeps the pitting and corrosion away.

Bottom Line:
This is the best fitting and best handling bicycle I have had yet, but this is the first custom fabricated bicycle I own. Walt has clean welds, proportional tubing to my weight and riding, no fancy flare to this frame.
I was initially interested in having a Nor Cal fabricator build a 29er singlespeed for me, but after talking to a handful of builders I realized they were out of budget. Basically, Walt built a custom frame and fork for less than a stock frame alone from a majority of other fabricators I was initially interested in.

Favorite Trail:   santa monica range

Purchased At:   WaltWorks

Similar Products Used:   Bianchi C.U.S.S. Bontrager Privateer

Bike Setup:   Rigid non suspension corrected singlespeed (horizontal dropouts). Chris King hs and hubs laced to delgado rims, race face turbine cranks, phil wood bb, thomson post and stem, SLR saddle, WTB nanoraptor (front) and Motoraptor (rear) tires, a bit of carbon for steering, XTR V-brakes, Paul levers.

Submitted by Ed a Cross Country Rider from Evergreen

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2006

Strengths:    It works.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
Changed my riding life! Thank you Walt.

Favorite Trail:   Single

Purchased At:   Walt's garage

Similar Products Used:   semi-similar but not life-altering - Seven Sola, steel, geared, Fox fork, 26".

Bike Setup:   Rigid, 29", ss, v-brake.

Submitted by Isaac a Cross Country Rider from Bugtussle, MN

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2006

Strengths:    Let's see. Everything. Climbs well. Handles well. Fun to go through the whole ordering process.

Weaknesses:    Nothing really. Maybe could use a nicer headbadge?

Bottom Line:
I'm not really sure that custom frames should be listed here. If they don't fit perfect and ride great, then there is a problem. My frame looks great, climbs great, handles great etc. etc. In fact I blew through a couple of cassettes last spring/summer I was riding so much so decided that I'd try singlespeeding. Well. I am now considering sending the frame in to get horizontal dropouts or something.

Walt is a pleasure to do business with. He is very quick to respond to whatever dumb question you have. Sense of humor. Can weld like a banshee. Forward thinking. I'd buy another frame from him in the future (though why would I need another one?).

Favorite Trail:   Memorial

Purchased At:   waltworks.com from Walt

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher 29er (nice but not steel), various smaller wheeled bikes (nice but not a 29er)

Bike Setup:   Currently V-brake front and back, rigid fork, singled with a Singleator.

Submitted by Doug from Asheville

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2006

Strengths:    Affordable custom steel frame.29er!!

Bottom Line:
Expectations fully met. Good bang for the buck and a quality built frame.Excellent service. Walt is sraight up to deal with.
My first 29er and I am hooked.
Enjoy, Doug