VooDoo Soukri 29er Hardtail

4.4/5 (5 Reviews)

Time tested cro-mo steel construction with over- size reynolds 631 butted tubing make the Soukri super stable and rigid 29’er. Voodoo’s renowned handling makes it a singletrack masterpiece! Frame Highlights:
  • Reynolds 631 air hardening butted tubing, cro-mo stays
  • Voodoo sliding dropouts with 2cm fore-aft adjustment to use gears or single speed.
  • Optimized for 100mm travel suspension fork or Voodoo Zombie
  • 500 rigid fork
  • Front derailleur: 28.6mm clamp with top pull.
  • Headset: standard 1-1/8” threadless
  • 51mm is disc brake mounts
  • Clearance for 2.5” tires

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2013

Strengths:    Solid, smooth ride. Quick through tight corners and stable over baby heads.

Weaknesses:    I've hammered this bike and not experienced any slippage with the drops. The recommendation of loctite is good but you might also check the torque spec (14 to 16nm).

Bottom Line:
A single track rider will not be disappointed. This bike delivers a quick, agile and stable ride.

Favorite Trail:   Signal Peak

Duration Product Used:   3 mn

Purchased At:   net

Similar Products Used:   Breezer Lightening and Tomac Revolver,

Bike Setup:   Reba RL; XT, XTR drive train; WTB Speed Disc wheels, Mugura stocker carbon brakes

Submitted by sjstumbo a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2012

Strengths:    Lightweight for steel. Responsive yet forgiving. Rock-solid construction. Versatile: having the option to set the bike up single speed with rim brakes was a strong seller for me! I'm a sucker for a clean and detailed paint job, too, which this bike (being a VooDoo) invariably represents.

Weaknesses:    I've heard that folks have issues with the sliding dropouts moving. If set up correctly (read: apply Loctite liberally) this should not be an issue. I'm a lightweight rider at 140 lbs., but I've been known to huck my meat off five to six foot drops with no unwanted sliding. In the three months I have had to test this bike, I've found no weaknesses.

Bottom Line:
The VooDoo Soukri, as was intended by the designers, is a very versatile steed that I would recommend to any of my friends. The majority of my riding is on steep terrain. The frame geometry caters well to my preferred riding style: climb, climb, climb (preferably in rock gardens) until you can't see straight then lower saddle and drop in for a fast decent through swoopy, bermed single-track with some stunts thrown in for added value. The steep headtube angle does keep a fellow on his toes for really steep descents. I have the bike set up with a 100mm travel fork though. Step up to 120mm and I think it would be a more comfortable descender as well. If you want a one bike quiver, the Soukri is a great choice.

Favorite Trail:   Chuck's Chips, Ben's Trail

Duration Product Used:   3 Months

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Raleigh XXIX+G

Bike Setup:   Soukri; Reba RLT; SRAM Rise 40; XO components

Submitted by DG_NJRIDER a Racer from Dover, NJ

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2012

Strengths:    **FRAME ONLY**The geometry on the frame is excellent. The rear dropouts are easily adjustable and love the fact that they move with the calipers, so no more tweaking the calipers every time you have to tighten the chain. The steel has no flex to it and it climbs well. I love the paint job.

Weaknesses:    Rear droputs tend to move.

Bottom Line:
My SE stout was my entry bike and I love it but it was heavy. Decided on the voodo based on a friends recommendation and what a difference. The bike is responsive, the geometry is almost identical to the SE stout so the transition was easy. Although I'm running better components on the voodo the feel of the frame is much nicer probably cause the frame is a lot lighter and tubes are smaller in diameter. I highly recommend the frame, the rear triangle is short allowing you to stand up on steep climbs without skipping.

Favorite Trail:   Mahlon Dickerson

Similar Products Used:   SE Stout 29er

Bike Setup:   REBA SL Fork, XX Hydraulic brakes, schalbe Snakeskin rear, maxxis ignitor exo front, EC 70 handle bar, tubeless setup.

Submitted by sp1te a Weekend Warrior from Brooklyn, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2011

Strengths:    solid
light
geometry is nice
price

Weaknesses:    the rear dropouts slide sometimes.

Bottom Line:
Its a nice cheap frame, its a voodoo and it feels great. Im 6' and weighed 230 when i first bought the bike. It didn't feel flexy like my last frame.

Similar Products Used:   Soma Juice

Submitted by edouble a Cross Country Rider from Wyandanch

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2011

Strengths:    handling, looks great, versatile

Weaknesses:    kind of heavy, thats it.

Bottom Line:
nice riding beautiful bike thats inexpensive. a lot of bang for your buck. I love voodoo's so had to get a 29er voodoo.

Favorite Trail:   NY

Purchased At:   Wyandanch

Similar Products Used:   Soma Juice, Voodoo Zaka, rode a Surly too.

Bike Setup:   rigid ss, v- brakes

*PAID SPAM* Voodoo Soukri Frame (large)

Brand new Voodoo Soukri (steel) frame for sale. Details here: [url=http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=81966]VooDoo Soukri 29er (large) - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories[/url]Read More »

*PAID SPAM* Voodoo Soukri Frame (large)

Frame/fork combo question - Voodoo Soukri/Salsa Maxle Rigid fork

I am looking into the Voodoo Soukri frame to run rigid. My existing wheels use a Maxle up front, so I was hoping to use the Salsa Maxle Rigid fork. Fork length is 468mm. I am worried about the handling and pedal strikes - it is rooty and rocky where I ride. Please let me know your thoughts, an ... Read More »

Opinions please...Soukri vs. El Mariachi

Anyone riding either one of these that can give some insight to their performance characteristics would be appreciated. I've pretty much narrowed my search to these two bikes...my criteria are 29 (of course), steel, mid-range gruppo, $1500-$1700 complete. Rigid or suspension fork, doesn't matter ... Read More »

Voodoo Soukri.....Who's got one?

If you have one of these how do you like it? It replaces the Dambala I believe. There are no reviews on this frame so I thought I'd throw the question out there. I'm contemplating buying one this spring.Read More »