VooDoo Dambala 29 29er Hardtail

Weight : 4.3 lbs MSRP : $700.00

• Reynolds 853 butted steel tubing with head badge
  • Adjustable aluminum rear dropouts with built-in tensioners
  • Sloping top tube, extended seat tube, offset machined headtube
  • Detachable brake bosses

Submitted by CRUM a Cross Country Rider from Acton, Maine

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2010

Strengths:    The 17" fits me perfect. I have only had one other bike fit me as well. Other than that, it's strengths are that it is steel, fits on 29' wheels, and it behaves wonderfully on our East Coast tight single track.

Weaknesses:    The Paint. I would have paid another $100 for a more rugged paint job.

Bottom Line:
I have quite a stable of rides. I have ridden none of them since putting my butt on this bike. The geometry, the feel of going rigid again - well I guess it is taking me back to 1985 when I started riding. Only now I have disc brakes and 29 inch wheels.

Favorite Trail:   The one in front of me

Purchased At:   CRUM Cycles

Similar Products Used:   I have ridden steel for over 25 years. But this is my first 29 inch ride.

Bike Setup:   2X9 XO Gripshift and Rear Derail. XTR Front derailleur. Control Tech OS Bars, Stem, and seat Post. Terry Saddle. Halo Hubs and Rims. CST Cabalero 2.25 rubber. Heavy but I can run them at 18 PSI and get away with it. Rigid VooDoo Fork and Elixir Brakes - 185 rotors

Submitted by tsears a Cross Country Rider from Bothell, Wa. USA

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2010

Strengths:    Strong, light and climbs like a goat.

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
This bike is fast, light and steel. It feels comfortable in tight corners and screams through decents. I can't imagine anything it can't handle.

Favorite Trail:   anywhere muddy

Similar Products Used:   new to 29ers

Bike Setup:   Sram X-9 1X9 setup with a Reba race fork (100ml travel)and Velocity wheels on XT hubs.

Submitted by jamis a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2009

Strengths:    good geometry, newer dropouts are awesome, customer service

Weaknesses:    paint

Bottom Line:
Great ride. Customer service exceptional. Broke 2005 frame. Replacement frame in the mail shortly therafter, they added gussets after 2005. Only paid shipping and no hassles.

Favorite Trail:   pinhoti

Bike Setup:   ss

Submitted by dp7373 a Weekend Warrior from tn usa

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2009

Strengths:    great frame

Bottom Line:
Great frame handles better than my previous bikes Its a xlarge frame takes a beating best frame Ived owned killer grafics

Favorite Trail:   rotory park

Similar Products Used:   karate monkey khs solo one

Bike Setup:   set up single speed with carbon fork juicy 3

Submitted by Michael a Cross Country Rider from Texas

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2007

Strengths:    STEEL baby!!!!

Super smooth ride.

This bike rides so smooth I sold my FS bike.

Super stable rolls great. Super fast and comfortable during those not so short 24 hour races.

Great bike for endurance racing!!!!!!

Weaknesses:    Paint chipped off with in the first 3 months, so I had it powder coated black. Fixed that problem!!

Rear drop outs would move almost every ride. I called Voodoo and talked to them and they sent me out all new hardwear for the dropouts. Fixed that!!!

Bottom Line:
Great bike. I thought this would ride like my other two 29ers. I was wrong. The tubing flexes great and it craves the corners great!! This was a budget build and I will ride this for years to come.

If you are looking to build a nice 29er adn not drop a ton this is the frame to buy!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Any & All dirt

Purchased At:   bike29.com

Similar Products Used:   Fisher Mt. Tam 29er
Surly Karate Monkey

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi MX Comp Air, Moots post, Titec Pluto bar, stem, and grips. Deore Hydro brakes with hayes rotors(yes they are cheap and heavy, but they stop like made). XT shifters, cranks, BB, front d. XTR rear d, cassette. WTB front Hub, Hope Pro 2 rear laced to Sun DS2 rims Kenda Karma 29*1.9 tires with Stans. Flite seat. Eggbeater pedals

Submitted by James Swanson from San Francisco, CA

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2005

Strengths:    Steel. Sliding dropouts for disc brake/single-speed. 29er magic. Clearance for 2.3 tires (WTB Exiwolf).

Weaknesses:    A bit expensive for a production frame.

Bottom Line:
This bike rocks! Very quick handling yet still stable at high speeds. I'm running it geared, but the sliding dropouts would work great for single speed with discs (much easier when removing the rear wheel than horizontal dropouts). As built it is a bit on the heavy side, but I plan on swapping the Marzocchi for a White Brothers BW .8 in the future (which will save 2 pounds and stiffen up the front end).

I love the roll-over capability, traction, and stability of the big wheels. Contrary to popular myth, 29ers are not slow handling - at least this one isn't anyway.