VooDoo Aizan 29er Hardtail

4.33/5 (3 Reviews)

"Fear No Evil with the magic of the superlight scandium tubing and the power of big wheel performance."

-Big wheel 29 incher design. Fits wide tires. VooDoo adjustable dropouts for singlespeed, fixed or geared with disk tabs.
-Removable brake posts when using disc brakes
-Color: Ancient Gold
-Material: Size specific VooDoo Black Magic scandium ultralight tubing

Submitted by robby a Cross Country Rider from mt hood or

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2008

Strengths:    good price,very light frame,looks great and its unique,ok to use 100mm fork travel,drain hole in bottom bracket shell is nice touch,

Weaknesses:    sliding dropouts

Bottom Line:
this bike is a blast to ride ,very fast, accelerating very stable at speed,I have no toe overlap problems,only issue I had was rear wheel movement I couldn't get a good bite on the sliding drop outs and rear wheel would move when I really hammered on the pedals. i fixed this by using a Chris king rear hub with there fun nuts setup instead of quick release . now its rock solid.buy this bike if you ride smooth single track or double track or like the way a hardtail rides .29er tires give you better traction and add a suspension.

Favorite Trail:   surveyors ridge

Purchased At:   on line

Similar Products Used:   Orbea lanza

Bike Setup:   reba fork 100mm travel,xt drive train and shifters,stans ztr tubless wheels,

Submitted by jimbojoe a Cross Country Rider from san antonio, TX, usa

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2008

Strengths:    Light weight (17" frame weighs 3.3 lbs) Total bike weight with pedals is 23.43 lbs. Scandium tubes provide good supple ride for a hard tail. Bike is fully rigid, no suspension fork needed.

Weaknesses:    Front wheel overlap which causes the toe of my bike shoe to hit the front wheel when making sharp turns. Takes a bit of getting used to this overlap.

Bottom Line:
I bought the frame only and built it up from parts I scavenged from my Mary XC. I really like this bike. Much lighter and faster than my prior 29'er bikes, but I still wish there were something to do about the front wheel overlap. The bike turns much faster and is easier to handle without a front suspension fork. When planning to ride in rock garden areas, I reduce psi in tires to 34 psi and it works great, plus the carbon seatpost and bar helps with some of the vibrations. If you are looking for a really light weight frame, this is it. I finally found a 29'er that I can live with, as my prior two 29'ers were heavy and did not have the trail handling of this bike. My wife rides a 2007 Niner 9 EMD hardtail equipped exactly the same as my Voodoo Aizan and her bike weighs 24.81 lbs. with pedals, so apparent that the Scandium frame is even lighter than the Niner alloy frame, but her 17" Niner doesn't have the front wheel overlap. Both bikes are great rides if you are looking for a fast and light 29'er.

Favorite Trail:   Rainbow Rim

Purchased At:   Online Store

Similar Products Used:   2007 Haro Mary XC and 2006 Gary Fisher Paragon

Bike Setup:   My bike is the newer style 2008 frame. Rigid Salsa fork, Truvativ Stylo Team crankset, XT front derailleur, Sram X-9 rear derailleur and shifters, Avid BB7 brakes, WTB laser disc lite wheelset, Specialized Borough XC 29X1.9 tires, carbon seatpost and WTB stem and straight carbon bar.

Submitted by Nate from Ypsilanti, MI

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2006

Strengths:    Light (Scandium), cool paint, sliding dropouts, relativly inexpensive. run it single or geared, nice weld quality, cool head badge, down tube has clearance for the Reba crown

Weaknesses:    sliding dropouts bind a bit. Probably need to be removed and cleaned up. No lock nuts came on the tension bolts.
Seat tube is a bit oversized, so the seatpost clamp is all most bottomed out, and the seatpost freefloats in the tube.

Bottom Line:
While it is not the "original" Voodoo (made in the US), the frame is still designed by the original, Joe Murry himself. I find that it has a refined build quality, it's just a blast to ride.
I switched all of the components over from my Karate Monkey for a direct comparison of the frames.

The first thing I noticed was the shorter top tube which made it feel a little more nimble in the tight technical sections, but not any less stable on the downhills.
The next thing was the lighter, stiffer rear end, which made it feel more "flickable" and accelerate a little faster. Even with it being stiffer, it doesn't ride harsh like my old AL Jamis.

This will be my race bike all season. I'm doing the Lumberjack 100 in a few weeks; single speed, so that should be the true test.

Favorite Trail:   Potowatami

Purchased At:   Treefortbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   Karate Monkey, single & geared, Fisher Rig

Bike Setup:   SS with endless cog, On One Mary bars, Reba w/ remote lockout, Bontrager Mustang rims laced to Hugi 240 hubs

voodooo Aizan 29er any good

i was thinking of buying a 29er and have seen a voodoo aizan and was wondering if anyone could tell me if voodoo bikes are any goodRead More »

Voodoo Aizan: No threads on disc mounts???

I just went to install my avid bb7 disc adapter into the disc mounts on the Aizan frame and discovered that they mounts aren't threaded. How the heck do I mount the adapter with screws if the mounts aren't threaded. Thanks for your feedback.Read More »

Voodoo Aizan Fit

I currently ride a 17" Moto Fantom Pro 29er. Looking to get a slightly lighter frame, I came upon a very good deal on a Voodoo Aizan on Ebay. I bought it but it is 19". Before I do the unwrapping and building, does anyone know if this thing will fit me? The big thing that sticks out to me is the ... Read More »

PAID SPAM Voodoo Aizan XL

Still available :) [url]http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=54957&cat=all[/url]Read More »

Paid Spam: Voodoo Aizan 18"

Yup its spam, but I paid for the ad so go here to check it out, here ==> [url]http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=55048[/url] And, pm me your email for a better set of pictures too PaulRead More »