Ventana El Comandante 29er Hardtail

Ventana El Comandante 29er SS Frame: "The Commander" Utilizing many of the same features as El Padrino, our 29? single speed El Comandante allows you to not only go gearless and fearless, but also go rigid.

Submitted by rootsandrocks a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2012

Strengths:    Fast, light, stiff but not harsh, great craftsmanship, excellent customer service.

Weaknesses:    No such thing

Bottom Line:
I got the El Commandante Ultimate and all I got to say is that I love this ride. With no lateral flex in the frame, climbing feels effortless. And bombing downhill leaves a huge grin on my face. The cosmic orange color looks great. And last but not least, the customer service was top-notch. Teresa, Sherwood and the crew at Ventana were extremely helpful and willing to answer any question(s) that I had. Thanks Ventana.

Favorite Trail:   Annadel

Purchased At:   Ventana

Bike Setup:   2012 32 FLOAT 29 100 FIT Terralogic fork, Chris King headset, CK disc hubs, CK bottom bracket, Stan's No Tubes 29er Crest rim, Gravity Dropper seat-post, WTB Laser ti saddle, XTR cranks, Gates Centertrack Carbon belt drive, XT clipless pedals.

Submitted by David Potts

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2012

Strengths:    Solid frame, great welds, outstanding customer service,

Bottom Line:
This bike rocks! Had tons of high end bikes in 20+ years of mountain biking. Frame is solid but does not punish or beat you up. Carves single track like you are on rails. Rocker drop outs are super easy to adjust. Ordered from my LBS, Outspokin Bikes in Woodstock GA, and got my custom color delivered in less than two weeks. Looking for a great riding singles speed or geared hard tail, buy this frame!

Submitted by avidrider a Weekend Warrior from Montana

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2011

Strengths:    Speed, strength, simplicity

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
First Foray into 29er and so far I am in deep smit. Bike runs well maybe a bit more wiggly when climbing than my bianchi was but otherwise a blast. Keeps rolling when I take the momentary climbing pause to catch my wind. Very stable and rigid, flexes less than my bianchi did. Great product.

Favorite Trail:   Ridge

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   mtbr.com

Similar Products Used:   Bianchi Boss

Bike Setup:   King 29er Singlespeed wheels, King Headset, Thomson seatpost and stem. BB7 mechanical disk brakes, Race Face Cranks, Kooka levers, Easton Monkey lite....am I forgetting anything? Oh yeah ODIS rigid fork.

Submitted by mdavenpo2000 a Cross Country Rider from Atherton, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2011

Strengths:    Easy company to deal with; frame is strong and light without feeling harsh; can handle rough and rocky singletrack and still track precisely.

Weaknesses:    None that I can think of.

Bottom Line:
Great bike. Jack be nimble, jack be quick. Yes, my bike's name is Jack for the purposes of this review. This bike likes to go fast and hard. Corners great. Frame is torsionally stiff. On my Karate Monkey, which I rode forever, I could feel it start to wallow at high speeds in tight, rocky singletrack. The El Commandante is a huge upgrade. I'd recommend this frame to anyone. I'd also recommend visiting Sherwood at their factory if you are close enough to drive. Worth every penny!

Favorite Trail:   Table Mountain

Purchased At:   Direct from Ventana

Similar Products Used:   Surly Karate Monkey, Santa Cruz Tallboy

Bike Setup:   20/22 semi custom frame(20 inch seat tube with 24.7 inch effective top tube). Color is cosmic orange. Set up as single speed. SLX cranks, NoTubes Flow rims, White Brothers Magic 29 100mm QR fork. Avid BB7 brakes.

Submitted by UT Badger a Cross Country Rider from SW Utah

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2010

Strengths:    Light, great geometry, climbs great

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
This is absolutely the best bike I have ever ridden. I got the frame from Ventana's summer sale, then spent way more than I was originally planning for the rest of the build up - but every time I ride it I know that it was worth every penny. This is the most comfortable bike I have ridden - that's saying alot for a rigid SS and comparing it to my FS cross-country bike. Put some tubeless wheels/tires on this and the ride is awesome. Without trying I built up the bike to only 22.7 lbs. If you spent the cash you could easily get it under 20. I was a bit nervous about going with aluminum for a rigid, but this frame gives an incredibly smooth ride for aluminum. My previous rigid SS was an aluminum and carbon fiber mix and it wasn't anywhere near as smooth a ride as the Ventana. I love how responsive and flickable the bike is without being jarring. Its just a blast to ride. This bike makes me want to, and enables me to ride longer. Since I got it I've been doing 4+ hour rides every weekend along with 2-3 shorter rides during the week. Longest ride was 78 miles. Definitely comfortable and fast enough to race on. I have adjusted the EBB when playing with a couple different cogs, but never cleaned it since putting it together and I have has no problems whatsoever - not the slightest creek. Would recommend this to anyone who wants a fast, responsive, and fun bike that they can ride long on.

Favorite Trail:   too many to list

Purchased At:   direct from Ventana

Similar Products Used:   nothing comparable

Bike Setup:   WB Rock Solid fork; Avid BB7's; American Classic Tubeless; XT cranks; Cane Creek headset; Thompson Elite post and stem

Submitted by smoen81 a Cross Country Rider from wisconsin

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2009

Strengths:    Light, Stiff, custom geometry fits me perfectly, color (custom)

Weaknesses:    none so far, maybe the fact that longer waterbottles don't fit easily into the cages. That's not really a frame flaw, as much as it is due to the small size of the frame.

Bottom Line:
This is the fastest, best bike I have ever ridden, period. I opted for the semi-custom geometry and I have never had a bike fit me as well as this one. I would highly recommend this frame to anyone and everyone looking for a singlespeed. It goes exactly where you point it and tracks amazingly. great bike.

Favorite Trail:   any fast singletrack

Purchased At:   direct from Ventana

Similar Products Used:   Fisher Rig, Vassago Jabberwocky

Bike Setup:   rigid with a ti fork.

Submitted by robotkiller a Cross Country Rider from Chapel Hill, NC

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2008

Strengths:    Looks cool, pretty welds, rides great, EBB just works

Weaknesses:    Stickers. Downtube clearance issues.

Bottom Line:
Basically, this is the best bike I have ever ridden -- even better than my custom IF. Alot of this has to do with the huge advantages of 29" wheels. The bike builds up light, carves nicely, is stiff as hell and is beautifully welded. It's the first bike I've ridden that just feels perfect. I literally wouldn't change a thing about how it rides.

It isn't completely perfect though....

I wish the stickers were clearcoated b/c they tear easily.

The biggest problem I had was with downtube clearance -- I had to modify my fork to clear. I think they may have remedied this with newer models. When I bought my frame, gussets were an option, so 80mm is the max travel that can be used. This, however, is not a problem for me, as 80mm is my preference.

The paint color (Superdust) looks cool, but the paint doesn't compare to the IF. This is not a surprise at all, so I wouldn't count it against the Ventana.

The EBB works well, has not budged and is a clean solution. No complaints there.

Whether it's design or the 29 inch wheels, I can't say, but this bike rides better than any hardtail I've tried. It's so smooth over terrain that I swear it reminds me of riding full suspension. There isn't a trace of harshness, contrary to conventional wisdom about Al frames. To top it off, this is probably the stiffest frame I've ridden, with tremendous efficiency and control.

The combo of a stiff frame, 29 wheels and perfect geometry adds up to bike that makes you feel invincible. This is the only hardtail that is as fun to ride as a FS with greater efficiency and quickness than any FS could ever hope to match.

Favorite Trail:   Blankets Creek

Purchased At:   Wrench Science

Similar Products Used:   Indy Fab Steel Deluxe, Santa Cruz Heckler, Turner Burner

Bike Setup:   Single Speed, Fox F29, AM Classic wheels

Submitted by willem3 a Cross Country Rider from Bend, Oregon USA

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2008

Strengths:    Where do I begin!! This frame is superb. I have ridden many hardtails and this is the best by far. The geometry, stiffness, quality, finish, welds, etc are all incredible. The support from Ventana was great as usual. Thanks for designing a great singlespeed 29er frame Sherwood!

Weaknesses:    None. Bullet proof!

Bottom Line:
Superb!! I have another Ventana, an X-5. This bike is the perfect compliment. I am a happy man! Highly recommended. I bought the frame from Ventana directly. It is a 2007 18 inch Superdust El Comandante.

Favorite Trail:   North Fork

Purchased At:   Ventana Direct

Similar Products Used:   Jamis, Other Ventana's, Kona, etc.

Bike Setup:   18 inch frame, 2008 Fox F29 80mm RLC Fork, Chris King Headset, Thomson (Silver) Stem and Post, Salsa Carbon Bar, Cane Creek Ergo II bar ends, ODI Lock On Grips, Shimano 2008 LX Disc Brakes, 2008 XT Cranks, Salsa 32T Ring, Mavic 29er Rims with Hope Hubs and DT Swiss Spokes, WTB Rocket V Titanium Seat

Submitted by Manny a Racer from Sanford,NC USA

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2007

Strengths:    Light,stiff,Ventana craftsmanship

Weaknesses:    It causes you to overtrain since you want to ride it all day every day, it is making me not want to order a FS geared frame

Bottom Line:
By far the best bike I have ever owned(and I have owned many over the years i.e Litespeed, Merlin, Intense, C'dale, Fat City, IF, and other Ventana frames) to name a few. There is really nothing I would change about this bike. Climbing is seemingly effortless and the bike inspires the confidence to descend like a FS bike. I can't really explain it except that I start riding and four hours later I can't believe I have been riding that long. The 29er wheel really makes a big difference in smoothing out the ride of an aluminum hardtail. For those looking for a geared 29er hardtail, the El Padrino is the geared version of this bike although you don't get the beer bottle opener that was put to good use tonight after riding. Mr.Gibson really outdid himself with this frame. It is expensive thus the 4 chilis for value, but like they say, you get what you pay for.

Purchased At:   Storm Endurance(formerly Fit to Be Tried)

Similar Products Used:   Have ridden or owned too many to list

Bike Setup:   970 XTR cranks,BB and pedals, Thomson post and stem, Aerus carbon bar, American Classic wheels, Magura Marta SL's, Reba SL

Submitted by Don Juan a Cross Country Rider from Albuquerque, NM

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2006

Strengths:    Light Weight, 29" wheels, great colors, matching forks,fun to ride

Weaknesses:    seatpost needed reworking to fit in poorly reamed seat tube insert.

Bottom Line:
I have enjoyed the geared version, the El Padrino, so much that I had to convert my single speed (a Niner S.I.R. 9) to Ventana! This bike is fast, comfortable, stable, and nimble. If you are looking for a great single speed bike, I highly recommend!

Favorite Trail:   Foothills North

Similar Products Used:   Niner Sir 9, One 9, Fisher RIG, Karate Monkey, Ventana El Padrino

Bike Setup:   Rigid fork, Avid Juicy 5 brakes, Am Classic Wheels, CK Headset, Maxxis Ignitor tires

El Comandante Creaking under load.... Mystery.....

Need some help here. My 2012 El Comandante with the Sliders is creaking under load. I have a new chain, bottom bracket, chainring, chainring bolts, and cog/locking ring installed. All torqued correctly and professionally installed. I have determined that the only thing that could be causing the ... Read More »

El Comandante plus 120m fork

A question regarding running a 120mm fork on the El Comandante.Can anyone inform me on whether they have tried it and if so was it a success,thanks.Read More »

New El Comandante

I've been riding this gem of a bike about a month now and I LOVE it! I could not be happier with the quality of the build. She climbs like a mountain goat and the descent is smooth like butter. :thumbsup:Read More »

Paid Spam Ventana El Comandante Ultimate

Looking for a new home!! [url=http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=80516&title=ventana-el-comandante-ultimate&cat=38]Ventana El Comandante Ultimate **Reduced** - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories[/url]Read More »

El Comandante Torque values ?

Looking for the proper torque values for the two main dropout bolts and the bolt the swinging dropouts pivot on. Gonna x-post on the singlespeed website... SPPRead More »