Vassago Bicycle Company VerHauen 29er Hardtail

The concept behind our black label series frames is to offer an undeniably perfect, no compromise 29er hard tail for those of us that know the difference. Vassago's top shelf "private reserve" if you will. Literally pulled from our race team's "dream frame" concept, the VerHauen blends vassago's proven frame design with the best materials and the cleanest, tightest welds. The result, an elite level race 29er, hand made in the USA by a bunch of guys who only know how to make 29ers. We don't do suspension, we don't do 26" frames. In our little, naive world, there is only 29ers. This frame is the result of that obsessive disorder. Bon appetit.

• U.S. True Temper Ox Platinum tubeset
  • Paragon sliding dropouts
  • Race oriented geometry
  • 4.3 lb frame weight
  • Heavy duty powdercoat protective finish
  • 100% designed and built in the USA

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Jon a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2016

Strengths:    - Outstanding Value
    - Made in the US
    - Versatile

Weaknesses:    - Frame decals are kind of cheap (had to think long and hard and that is the only thing I can think of)

Bottom Line:
    What an excellent frame! For someone wanting a high quality no BS do it all frameset it is hard to do better than the Verhauen. My typical riding consists of 10-30 miles of around town mixtures of New England pavement to gravel to technical single track. While not as comfortable as my old Jabberwocky, this frameset is capable of so much more! While my current setup reflects my more conservative riding style, front suspension and a 27.5+ wheelset would easily transform my build into a perfect all day technical trail slayer!

Purchased At:   Direct from Vassago

Similar Products Used:   Vassago Jabberwocky

Bike Setup:   King headset, Hope Pro 4 wheelset (thru axle), shimano 1x10, Whisky no9 fork, Thomson headset/stem, Watson Ti bar, WTB Nine Line 2.25

Submitted by Rouxtjie a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2013

Strengths:    Hand built in the US, TT OX Platinum tubes...trick paintjob(IPA copper). Stiff yet compliant when it needs to be. The geo is perfect for my style of riding and eats up singletrack. Tom is a great guy to deal with, bike shipped to South Africa within a week, no issues in payment or goods and everything arrived in perfect condition and as promised. The frame itself is very high quality, welds are neat and plenty strong.

Weaknesses:    None, there is just nothing I can find...and I like to nitpick.

Bottom Line:
    Wish I had money to buy another one....it is that good

Submitted by J-Bone a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2013

Strengths:    Handling, ride, climbs fast and descends under control.
    MADE IN THE USA-this means a lot to me.
    Finish-I have the bloody nose red-translucent finish allowing you to see welds under the color and is AWESOME. Ride quality is second to none.

Didn't come with free beer.

Bottom Line:
    I rode this frame at a bike demo in Brighton, MI. It was spec'd with slx, stans, and fusion fork. the ride was great. It is for sure designed to support a rider for all day cross country. The steel frame did not keep me away-it seems it rides the bumps a bit better than the carbon fiber frames that I rode. I guess if I were to give it a 1 word description....It is a relaxed ride. I felt so much control while on this 29er I didn't want to give it back. So for the last few months I have been in contact with Tom from Vassago as well as the gang over at Trails Edge Cycles in Plymouth/Milford MI. They were trying to put a parts package together to go along with this frame that would get me riding but everything was a bit too much. Finally, they put one together that was high quality and fit my budget at the same time. I really like the fact that I can pretty much run any wheel configuration I want with 9mm QR to 15mm thru axle, SS etc. The drop outs are designed to run everything. I wanted a SS Set up as well. I will be able to upgrade the parts, wheels will be first but the alex wheels feel strong and stable, but I am very satisfied with what I have. Do not hesitate you will not be disappointed.
    I love that it is made in the USA. I love my made in America stuff. Nothing against the overseas manufacturers as I have owned bikes made by Giant, Trek and Haro.

Favorite Trail:   Lakeshore Park, Island Lake, Pontiac Lake

Duration Product Used:   Just got it

Price Paid:    $1999.00

Purchased At:   Trails Edge Cycles i

Similar Products Used:   None, this is my first 29er

Bike Setup:   Shimano slx/deore rock shox recon, alex wheels

Submitted by Todd F. a Cross Country Rider from Newark, DE USA

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2011

Strengths:    The ride quality is excellent, This is a point and shoot frame,it is stiff when you want it to be and compliant when my old guy back needs it to be. I have ridden this frame for about 3 months and my first ride felt like I had been riding all my life. It climbs like a goat and desends just as fast. It is quick handleing without being twichy.
    The welds and paint job are second to none. I took it down to the rocks of WV, not one paint ding or even a scratch. This is a super frame and I am glad I was one of the lucky ones to get mine in the first batch.

Weaknesses:    None so far. I would have liked a Black Label decal, but I guess the black paint job gives that away

Bottom Line:
    I love this bike, it feels so natural,like I just floating above the trail. It is fast, fairly lite for a big steel 29er. Paint and welds are super. I bought this frame sight unseen, just from the 50+ reviews from the guys on MTBR. They did not steer me wrong. Would buy the same frame agian "YOU BETCHA". Would tell a good friend to buy this frame "YOU BETCHA". The guys at Trails-Edge were great and very helpful.
    Spend the money, stand in line, get this frame.

Favorite Trail:   All the local stuff and Huckleberry off Spruce Knob WV