Trek Wahoo 29er Hardtail

4.32/5 (19 Reviews)

29ers are versatile enough to serve XC and trail riders, and their unbeatable efficiency and momentum make them the ultimate singlespeed weapon.

Submitted by Alex

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2013

Strengths:    Solid frame and perfect starter bike for the price!

Weaknesses:    Pedals and tires suck!

Bottom Line:
Mine was a 2012 but still love it! Tires and pedals are poor but easy upgrade. The way to go for a starter 29er!

Submitted by Josh

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2013

Strengths:    The frame.... This frame just feels right. It's not that heavy. Out of the box it's a great bike.

Weaknesses:    The tires suck and the pedals suck more.

Bottom Line:
All in all it rides awesome and it looks awesome. Could use a few upgrades that are on my list

Submitted by Newks262 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2013

Strengths:    Amazing entry level 29er

Weaknesses:    Seat, Grips, Breaks are mediocre at best (I am a 250 lb rider though also)

Bottom Line:
I purchased a '13 model right when they came out. This is my first 29er previously I road a Trek 6000 but I always felt a little stifled even on the xl frame. There is undoubtedly a learning curve going from a 26 platform to a 29er, but the Wahoo made it very easy with it's G2 geometry. After the fist 5 miles of riding I felt totally at home.
The biggest reason I decided to try a 29er is my size. I am 6'5" with a 36" inseam with a 79" arm span and I weigh 250lbs. The 23" frame fit me perfectly. I however wouldn't recommend the 23" frame to anyone under 6' My pop who is 6'2" had to crank the seat down pretty far to feel comfortable riding. Also on my bike it has very wide bars, I personally didn't need to trim them, but you may want to take that into consideration if you are a smaller person. I would say if you wear a medium size shirt (narrower shoulders) you should trim the bars.
I use it as a pavement commuter bike primarily with some dirt trail time one the weekends. It is perfect for an all around bike. The broad gearing gives me the ability to average 20mph commuting without the burning lungs. I have also had the pleasure of reaching 39mph (downhill city streets) and it felt incredibly stable. You can even get a pretty good tuck comfortably also.
I personally love this bike; not even for the paid value alone. There is a lot of talk about the low grade components on this bike, but taking into consideration the initial cost for an ENTRY level 29er there is nothing to complain about in my personal opinion. Aesthetically the bike is beautiful I was lucky enough to get the black with green model.

Duration Product Used:   SE Wisconsin

Submitted by Lewis a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2013

Strengths:    Cost drivetrain frame

Weaknesses:    TIRES WHEELS

Bottom Line:
I've got the 2012 version and I love the bike over all. Everything but the wheels and tires are great once you get them tuned up nicely. I went for a first ride and bent my back wheel. I would recommend replacing the front and back tire and wheel at least just to start don't even bother with the stock ones bad tread and worse durability

Favorite Trail:   Sidewinder

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Submitted by One Sweet Rig!

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2013

Strengths:    Price, Platform, Performance.

Weaknesses:    Entry level components, but that's expected for the price.

Bottom Line:
I bought my Wahoo from the LBS in September of 2012. It was a brand new 2013 model, and the upgrades for this year are all good ones. Double-walled rims are good and strong. They have done a relatively good job staying true. They are a little on the heavy side, but again, that is to be expected with the price. Since buying the bike, I have thrown on some Specialized Captain tires, clipless pedals, SRAM X7 shifters, X7 front and rear derailleurs, a SRAM X1000 crankset, a 10 speed rear cassette ( all take offs from a SuperFly100), and a Niner Carbon Rigid fork. Not to make this a review on the Niner fork, but it WAY out performs the stock Suntour boat anchor bump absorber up front, can't say I miss the suspension at all. To be fair, upgrading to a Reba would make it a race worth rig as well! As it sits right now, the bike weighs in at 26.4lbs. I routinely ride with guys who are on $2000+ bikes that weigh more than that. With a little more money thrown into wheels, it could easily be around a 23lb rig. Can't beat that!
As a point of reference, I ride mostly singletrack. Fast and hard. Rocks, roots, drops, small jumps... nothing seems to slow down the ol' Wahoo!
It may sound like I've thrown a ton of money into a cheap bike... but that's just the point. The frame alone is worth buying this bike, then take a little time and money and you can easily build one sweet machine! I love this bike. I love to hammer the trails, or just take it out on some gravel grinders and ride for hours on end. This is a very versatile bike that is well worth the asking price.

Submitted by David

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2013

Strengths:    Well, I'm almost 320 lbs, and it has held me very well on paved and gravel roads. Looking forward to many more rides.

Weaknesses:    As stated in other reviews, sidewalls of the tires do appear weak. When I first looked at it, looked like a dragster tire fully torqued on the sidewall. Will upgrade the tires and pedals.

Bottom Line:
I love the bike so far, haven't had it but a month though.

Submitted by Shea D

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2013

Strengths:    Solid bike....the double walled rims are a big + for the 2013 model.

Weaknesses:    For the price i can't think of any!

Bottom Line:
Great bike !

Submitted by Austin's Wahoo

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2013

Strengths:    The lightness of this bike is ridiculous...

Weaknesses:    Weaknesses???

Bottom Line:
Whether you wanna Fly up the Mountain to your school Everyday, or Soar down it, this thing is going to Haul!! I am a 17 year old teen boy, who will take this bike Anywhere! If you need a verry Efficient and Upgradable 29er, this IS THE BIKE!! I bought the bike before xmas, threw an extra 300$ into some Maxxis tires Crossmark in the back, and Icon in the front. Along with a 3piece crank, sum metal pedals, lizard skins (for fork and chain), and plenty TLC, and you and your bike will have a bond between man and machine, unbreakable! I will never let go of my Wahoo, its a rocket in the summer, and in the winter a fast-paced accelerating mofo!! *MUST BE TALL* at least 5 foot, 3 different frame sizes, most effective with your seat horizontal to handlebars. Stock is nice, if you lr limited on upgrading, get a 3piece crank for much better acceleration! Then tires because your tires wont get much lighter.
BMX~>26er~>29ers(;

Similar Products Used:   Diamonback 26"
Trek 4300
Trek Wahoo(:

Submitted by Greg

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2013

Strengths:    Everything about the bike, except for the tires. The bike handles the way that I like.

Weaknesses:    The original tires are the only thing that I do not like about the bike. The reason being, is the fact that the sidewalls are paper thin. I switched to two different brands (front: CST Critter 29x2.10; rear: Bell 29x2.25), and I have not had any problems since.

Bottom Line:
The bike handles the way that I like. The only problem that I have had the bike thus far, is the original tires. I have not had problems with any part of the brakes, nor the drivetrain. To a lot of people, they think that it is too heavy, I like it. Also, it has plenty of clearance for beginner to some intermediate single-track trails. I have put over 877 miles on it since June 26th, 2012, mostly in-town riding, and a few miles on the single-track trails. For the price, I would definitely say it is a good starting point if you are interested in the 29ers. Also, it definitely holds the momenum very nice. I am sure that, if anybody wanted to upgrade any and all parts, it would be even better I imagine. As a stock bike, it is wonderful in my opinion.

Submitted by Gunner

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2012

Strengths:    Brakes, Solid frame, cheap, 29er

Weaknesses:    Wheels, tires, saddle,

Bottom Line:
Bought the bike after i lost my last one in accident. Was short on cash so the price was reasonable. The 29in wheels are nice to gain speed and go over rocks. The saddle isnt great for bigger fellas like me. I had to replace the tires after about a month.

Submitted by wynnbb a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2012

Strengths:    Affordable
Easy to upgrade

Weaknesses:    Heavy Frame
Shoddy Paint Job

Bottom Line:
The bike is weights 36 lbs stock, it is very heavy. I wanted to learn how to piece together a bicycle and have some fun while doing it. I bought this relatively cheap Trek 29er for its frame. The bike now sits in my garage with $1800 worth of parts on it. The frame itself, is heavy, compared to my friend's Giant XTC frame, this things gives me major buyers remorse. The paint job on this frame is also shoddy. Noticing it few days after I took it home, the Trek logo on the headset tube is grossly off centered. Given the weight of this frame and the poor paint job, I'm questioning value of a Trek bicycle and whether their bikes are actually better than the ones sold at Walmart. I feel like this is some cheap generic aluminum frame used on Mongoose/Schwinn with "TREK" logo painted over it.

No more Trek for me.

Duration Product Used:   3 Month

Purchased At:   The Bicycle Planet

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rockhopper, Specialized Hardrock, Giant Boulder, Giant XTC

Bike Setup:   Shimano XT Groupset
Mavic TN317 Rims
Avid BB7 Brakes
Maxxis Ignitor 2.1
Thomson Elite Seatpost, Stem
Crankbrothers Cobalt 2 Handlebar

Submitted by Jared Shroyer a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2012

Strengths:    under or near 600 for a 29'r bike with disc breaks. The wheels are strong since i have found i dont need double walled rims. You get the same frame as a mamba but with a lot less cost.

Weaknesses:    No lockouts and mechanical brakes. Saddle isnt great for me but large butts dont like most saddles.

Bottom Line:
I bought my bike for 560 that was the outgoing model year. Love the disc brakes since its an upgrade from V brakes. Love the 29'r wheels. Geometry is great but with the 21" frame i find the slow corners are a lot harder than a smaller frame with 26" wheels. But over all i do enjoy it but i just have to go fast. Plans to upgrade are with pedals and grips. My friend bought a specialized rockhopper at the same time. I tried his bike and i still enjoy mine better. I do like the mechanical brakes better especially since if i crush the cable lines i dont lose brakes i just crushed the cable but it will be fine.
Best reason to get this bike is that the frame is great but over time you can upgrade the components to a nicer level.

Favorite Trail:   Island Lake State park

Purchased At:   Jacks bike shop

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by BloodyAnkles

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2012

Strengths:    29er for under 600.

Weaknesses:    Grips
Fork
Pedals
Wheels
Tires

Bottom Line:
Heads up - ONLY for lighter people and/or XC riding. The wheels cannot handle rocks and drops. You get what you pay for.

My first ride on this bike I taco'd my front wheel - I should have gone with the Marlin. BUT, for the price, you get an amazing entry level ride. I wasnt sure if mountain biking was for me and I knew worst case scenario I could upgrade things as I went. A rock told me Id upgrade within 24 hours of purchasing the bike.

Other than the wheels, the grips suck. I felt like I was steering with pencils. Use gloves or get thicker grips form greater comfort.

The fork is starting to feel chunky and less inspiring after ~80 miles of use. Lubing does not do any good. Granted, I have put this thing through more than Trek intended, but this is a seriously cheap fork. Look to upgrade to someone elses used Marlin or Mamba fork soon for a cheap upgrade.

The pedals were destroyed after slamming into a few rocks. Heed everyone's advice and look for something nicer quick.

Other than those, the bike works well. The components are what you expect - they suck if theyre poorly set up but can be surprisingly smooth and quiet when perfectly set.

The hubs are smoother than I thought they would be and you can pick up decent speed rolling down a hill compared to others and the bike can be decently quick. I was surprised how quickly I passed other bikes on a downhill straight after a few pumps. I was told by a fellow on a Diamondback of comparable price that he could not keep up with me with him pedaling and me coasting.

The tires might have had something to do with the speed, but theyre sure as hell not ment for smooth wet rocks, sand, gravel, pine needles, etc. I threw some Maxxis on and called it a day.

With upgraded grips, pedals, and wheels, this thing is fun. However, I would have rather saved myself $150 in upgrades and just bought a Marlin if I knew id enjoy riding this much. Its good for a casual rider, but it's biggest problem is that its just good enough to pull you into the sport and just bad enough itll leave you with a taste in your mouth for something more quicker and more durable.

Submitted by Dan E. a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2012

Strengths:    Speed-Dude this bike is FAST!!!

Handling-Tight and Responsive!!!

Weight-Looks like this bike would weigh 50 lbs. After a long 13 mile ride in 110 degree heat with 85%-90% humidity. I can still pick it up one handed and carry it up flight of stairs to park it for my 8-10 hour shift in a frozen warehouse!!!

Weaknesses:    The PEDALS-I was 270 pounds when I bought the bike, but now I'm 235 pounds. The pedals started to bend when I started to ride. I installed some Wellgo Flat pedals with removable pins.

Bottom Line:
The Wahoo. It's a WONDERFUL machine, but the only thing that I feel Trek should change is the pedals. The plastic pedals bend so Easily if your a big guy and you crank those cranks as hard as you possible can. I bought my Wahoo in April of 2012 new right off the rack. I've now rode it 1000 miles. The blue paint is scratched on the frame. The frame is dirty from all the mud and grime I've rode it through. But it's never let me down. Even when the two little pomeranians were chasing me down the street one day nipping at my ankles as I'm cranking on the cranks!!! Or when the Semi-truck buzzed me by 6 inches as I was making a steep climb. The semi-truck was going 50-60 mph and I was going 10 mph!!!

I don't ride on the trails yet. I use my Wahoo for commuting and playing around the streets on my bike. I would rather ride my bike than drive my Xterra or Versa. I LOVE MY BIKE!!!

I'll upgrade it bit by bit next year when I move to Phoenix, AZ.

Favorite Trail:   On West 4th St to Downtown Sioux City and the on Highway 75!!!

Duration Product Used:   1000 miles

Purchased At:   Scheels

Similar Products Used:   This is my first bike I've rode in 20 years since I was a kid.

Bike Setup:   stock except for the Wellgo flat pedals with removable pins

Submitted by pringlecan a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2012

Strengths:    Value

Weaknesses:    You're gonna want to upgrade soon.

Bottom Line:
This bike brought me into the mountain bike world. After much research on what entry level "real" bike I should buy, this was the one. For the price, this would definitely be a top contender in the "what should I buy to decide if I'm actually going to ride" category. I know absolutely nothing about what handling, flex, braking, etc. should feel like. What I do know is that I paid just over 500 out the door at my LBS and after a few amazing months of riding traded it in towards an X-Caliber. Thank you Trek for having an entry level bike at an entry level price that was good enough to get me into the awesomeness that is MTB.

Bike Setup:   Ergon grips, BMX pedals

Help with upgrading Trek Wahoo Forks

The beginning of this year i bought a 2012 Trek Wahoo. I am a new to the sport and i have gotten very comfortable with this bike already. I am ready to upgrade some parts. The forks on this bike are SR Suntour XCT V4, preload, custom G2 Geometry w/51mm offset, 100mm travel. I want to upgrade t ... Read More »

Trek Wahoo rough gear shifting

Everything on bike is stock. Lately bike is shifting roughly even after a good wash. Could it be bad shifters or cassettes that are causing this? Bike is 2 months old with about 800 miles on trails.Read More »

Modding a Gary Fischer Wahoo

Hey guys, I'm relatively new to mountain biking (I've been riding bikes since I was about 3 yrs old but I've only been getting serious with mtn biking this last year) I found a 2004 (?) Gary Fischer Wahoo at a local garage sale for $35, I jumped on the opportunity because I really like the frame but ... Read More »

Help Deciding! Trek Wahoo 29er vs. Trek 4500 Disc MTB

Hello all, After spending the last 15 years on a no-suspension, basic Nishiki, I'm in the market for a mountain bike that's a little more modern with a few additional frills. My budget is in the $500-600 range, so it seems I'm somewhat limited in terms of features. I've located a 2010 Trek 4500 (2 ... Read More »

Tyre suggestion for 2010 GF Wahoo

Just bought a used GF Wahoo and the rear tyre needs replaced as well as tube. Any suggestions on a good all purpose tyre and tube? Oem equipment is bontrager xr jones 26x2.2. It looks like those are discontinued. Only using the bike on Tarmac or light offload trails.Read More »