Trek Wahoo 29er Hardtail

3.92/5 (24 Reviews)

29ers are versatile enough to serve XC and trail riders, and their unbeatable efficiency and momentum make them the ultimate singlespeed weapon.

Submitted by Luke Schar a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2014

Strengths:    Price
Look

Weaknesses:    Fork, Tires, Components, Brakes

Bottom Line:
For the price this bike isn't bad although i do wish they would have used a sram drivetrain. The tires that came on mine were pathetic and made you slide all over the trail. When doing any jumps etc the fork would bottom out. The brakes are just touchy but other than that work ok. The componentry is ok when it is broke in but isn't as good as higher end.

Favorite Trail:   vultures Knob

Duration Product Used:   One Season

Similar Products Used:   Trek Marlin SS

Bike Setup:   Hardtail 29er

Submitted by Andrew a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2014

Strengths:    Looks, Saddle, Handlebars, and the fork isn't too bad in my opinion.

Weaknesses:    Wheels, Gears, Brakes, Weight, Tires!

Bottom Line:
I have had the 2013 model now for 6 months b ought from new. So far there hang been a single thing that I have had to replace, apart from the rear tire which is getting rather low on tread. The tires do not give me confidence to ride too fast around corners and in the rain I barely reach a crawl from the lack of grip. I have also had a fair amount of punctures so far too. Initially the brakes where a joke and even after being in they where pathetic but I tried upgrading the front rotor size which made no noticeable difference. However, after some adjustments the brakes showed MASSIVE improvement and I now think they are really good (hurts my neck when I brake hard now!). The front fork isn't too bad, I'm finding it hard to justify upgrading it to a rockshox which is 60% of the price i paid for the whole bike! The preload does nothing major but luckily the fork is pretty well set up for my weight already. I have put a rack on the back and did a recent trip with around 27kg of weight loaded on the bike and everything held up great! I did need to upgrade the grips to ergonomic grips which also made the whole bike fell better controlled.

Overall I would recommend this bike because I personally don't think it is as bad as people make it out to be, and as components wear out it provides a great opportunity to upgrade parts and even learn about your bike which will greatly improve your riding experience!

Submitted by Marty a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2014

Strengths:    The longer I have it the less value I see. I have a Trek hybrid that has served me well, and still works very well after many years and virtually no maintenance. I expected the same from the Wahoo but was disappointed.

Weaknesses:    After having it for 18 months and primarily riding on asphalt bike paths and an occasional dirt road in S Florida, the front sprockets had to be replaced due to excessive wear and the bearing in the front fork is giving out (again I only ride on flat paths for the most part). I find the shifters to be mushy. On a brief trip to a hilly area in Georgia I was squeezing the brake handle as hard as I could going down a steep paved road but still could barely get to a complete stop. The pedals are undersized for a guy with size 10 shoes and my feet tend to slip off. There is only one Trek dealer in my area and that is a 40 mile round trip. Will look for another brand next time.

Bottom Line:
Poor quality components and wearing out quickly.

Submitted by HOWARD a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2014

Strengths:    Frame..brakes, seat, handlebars and front suspension forks are all passable

Weaknesses:    Gears, wheels and cranks are cheap

Bottom Line:
Have a 2012 Wahoo 29r. First let me start off by saying the frame is really nice. Slightly on the heavy side but no big deal its durable and looks really sharp. Most of the components suck though ill be honest... already warped the back single walled wheel just doing everyday dirt trail riding nothing major. id recommend splurging a little more for higher end bike with better components. Your going to end up having to replace everything on this bike down the line anyway. Really not worth the 600 when all you are getting is basically a descent frame with components that aren't up to the task with anything more than general commuting.

Submitted by Dre

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2014

Strengths:    Appearance, 29" wheels

Weaknesses:    Wheels, components don't hold up

Bottom Line:
We purchased this bike for my 12 year old son. He has ridden it to school and around town a few times, and then twice on mountain bike rides. After riding on the trails, we found the rear wheel to be excessively out of true. The second off-road visit resulted in the chain falling off and getting stuck causing the pedals not to freewheel. My call to service department at Trek gave me a "well this is a low-end mountain bike" response. I don't view nearly $600 as low end. Mid-range. Plus an 85 lb. 12 year old shouldn't cause the wheels to become out of true. He takes care of this bike, and the performance is disappointing.

Submitted by Chris Fitz

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2014

Strengths:    Price
Control is great
Saddle
29er

The fork is not the best, but its VERY good for the price. It has a double preload.

Weaknesses:    Brakes are pretty wimpy, but they are better than regular pad brakes.
Frame is really heavy, but it feels strong and handles well.

Bottom Line:
So I gave the value 5 chilis because the value is reaaaally good for the money. Everything on it is fair quality. Its more of a beginner bike, but if your just buying a mountain bike with a low budget this is a great bike.

Also if you are buying this bike just to ride on the streets i suggest not buying this bike. This is a mountain bike not a commute bike.

Submitted by Alex

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2013

Strengths:    Solid frame and perfect starter bike for the price!

Weaknesses:    Pedals and tires suck!

Bottom Line:
Mine was a 2012 but still love it! Tires and pedals are poor but easy upgrade. The way to go for a starter 29er!

Submitted by Josh

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2013

Strengths:    The frame.... This frame just feels right. It's not that heavy. Out of the box it's a great bike.

Weaknesses:    The tires suck and the pedals suck more.

Bottom Line:
All in all it rides awesome and it looks awesome. Could use a few upgrades that are on my list

Submitted by Newks262 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2013

Strengths:    Amazing entry level 29er

Weaknesses:    Seat, Grips, Breaks are mediocre at best (I am a 250 lb rider though also)

Bottom Line:
I purchased a '13 model right when they came out. This is my first 29er previously I road a Trek 6000 but I always felt a little stifled even on the xl frame. There is undoubtedly a learning curve going from a 26 platform to a 29er, but the Wahoo made it very easy with it's G2 geometry. After the fist 5 miles of riding I felt totally at home.
The biggest reason I decided to try a 29er is my size. I am 6'5" with a 36" inseam with a 79" arm span and I weigh 250lbs. The 23" frame fit me perfectly. I however wouldn't recommend the 23" frame to anyone under 6' My pop who is 6'2" had to crank the seat down pretty far to feel comfortable riding. Also on my bike it has very wide bars, I personally didn't need to trim them, but you may want to take that into consideration if you are a smaller person. I would say if you wear a medium size shirt (narrower shoulders) you should trim the bars.
I use it as a pavement commuter bike primarily with some dirt trail time one the weekends. It is perfect for an all around bike. The broad gearing gives me the ability to average 20mph commuting without the burning lungs. I have also had the pleasure of reaching 39mph (downhill city streets) and it felt incredibly stable. You can even get a pretty good tuck comfortably also.
I personally love this bike; not even for the paid value alone. There is a lot of talk about the low grade components on this bike, but taking into consideration the initial cost for an ENTRY level 29er there is nothing to complain about in my personal opinion. Aesthetically the bike is beautiful I was lucky enough to get the black with green model.

Duration Product Used:   SE Wisconsin

Submitted by Lewis a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2013

Strengths:    Cost drivetrain frame

Weaknesses:    TIRES WHEELS

Bottom Line:
I've got the 2012 version and I love the bike over all. Everything but the wheels and tires are great once you get them tuned up nicely. I went for a first ride and bent my back wheel. I would recommend replacing the front and back tire and wheel at least just to start don't even bother with the stock ones bad tread and worse durability

Favorite Trail:   Sidewinder

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Submitted by One Sweet Rig!

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2013

Strengths:    Price, Platform, Performance.

Weaknesses:    Entry level components, but that's expected for the price.

Bottom Line:
I bought my Wahoo from the LBS in September of 2012. It was a brand new 2013 model, and the upgrades for this year are all good ones. Double-walled rims are good and strong. They have done a relatively good job staying true. They are a little on the heavy side, but again, that is to be expected with the price. Since buying the bike, I have thrown on some Specialized Captain tires, clipless pedals, SRAM X7 shifters, X7 front and rear derailleurs, a SRAM X1000 crankset, a 10 speed rear cassette ( all take offs from a SuperFly100), and a Niner Carbon Rigid fork. Not to make this a review on the Niner fork, but it WAY out performs the stock Suntour boat anchor bump absorber up front, can't say I miss the suspension at all. To be fair, upgrading to a Reba would make it a race worth rig as well! As it sits right now, the bike weighs in at 26.4lbs. I routinely ride with guys who are on $2000+ bikes that weigh more than that. With a little more money thrown into wheels, it could easily be around a 23lb rig. Can't beat that!
As a point of reference, I ride mostly singletrack. Fast and hard. Rocks, roots, drops, small jumps... nothing seems to slow down the ol' Wahoo!
It may sound like I've thrown a ton of money into a cheap bike... but that's just the point. The frame alone is worth buying this bike, then take a little time and money and you can easily build one sweet machine! I love this bike. I love to hammer the trails, or just take it out on some gravel grinders and ride for hours on end. This is a very versatile bike that is well worth the asking price.

Submitted by David

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2013

Strengths:    Well, I'm almost 320 lbs, and it has held me very well on paved and gravel roads. Looking forward to many more rides.

Weaknesses:    As stated in other reviews, sidewalls of the tires do appear weak. When I first looked at it, looked like a dragster tire fully torqued on the sidewall. Will upgrade the tires and pedals.

Bottom Line:
I love the bike so far, haven't had it but a month though.

Submitted by Shea D

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2013

Strengths:    Solid bike....the double walled rims are a big + for the 2013 model.

Weaknesses:    For the price i can't think of any!

Bottom Line:
Great bike !

Submitted by Austin's Wahoo

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2013

Strengths:    The lightness of this bike is ridiculous...

Weaknesses:    Weaknesses???

Bottom Line:
Whether you wanna Fly up the Mountain to your school Everyday, or Soar down it, this thing is going to Haul!! I am a 17 year old teen boy, who will take this bike Anywhere! If you need a verry Efficient and Upgradable 29er, this IS THE BIKE!! I bought the bike before xmas, threw an extra 300$ into some Maxxis tires Crossmark in the back, and Icon in the front. Along with a 3piece crank, sum metal pedals, lizard skins (for fork and chain), and plenty TLC, and you and your bike will have a bond between man and machine, unbreakable! I will never let go of my Wahoo, its a rocket in the summer, and in the winter a fast-paced accelerating mofo!! *MUST BE TALL* at least 5 foot, 3 different frame sizes, most effective with your seat horizontal to handlebars. Stock is nice, if you lr limited on upgrading, get a 3piece crank for much better acceleration! Then tires because your tires wont get much lighter.
BMX~>26er~>29ers(;