Trek Top Fuel 69er 29er Hardtail

• Wheels: Bontrager Race; 29" front, 26" rear
  • Handlebars: Bontrager Race, 40mm rise, 31.8mm

Submitted by Veldrijdenrenner a Racer from Littleton, CO

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2012

Bottom Line:
I have one of these for sale if anyone if interested let me know at thenaturalway at earthlink dot net. Thanks 3/2/2012. Clearing garage to make room for a straight up XC race bike.

Favorite Trail:   401

Submitted by wilbury1 a Cross Country Rider from Pueblo, CO

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2009

Strengths:    I have a Lenz Lunchbox 5" 29er which caused me to sell my Yeti 575 which I loved before getting bitten by the 29er bug. After riding both the Lenz and the Trek, if I could only have one bike, it would be the TF 69er.

Weaknesses:    None. Well, if they make the 69er with full floater and ABP I may be tempted to upgrade!

Bottom Line:
I was a bit skeptical of the 69er concept after getting hooked on my FS 29er. I bought the TF 69er on closeout from my LBS. I wasn't immediately blown away by this bike, but the more I ride the 69er the more I like it. I hope that the 69er concept catches on - I think Trek is really on to something here. Great bike!

Purchased At:   Great Divide

Similar Products Used:   yeti 575, Lenz Lunchbox

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by felt_up a Cross Country Rider from Luling, Louisiana

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2008

Strengths:    The bike rolls very well and corners like it is on rails. The large front wheel makes obstacles a breeze. The acceleration is perfect and the bike manages to hold the momentum.

Weaknesses:    The front wheel will raise up on steep climbs such as levees. You will have to just lean into it and power up the levee.

Bottom Line:
You can put anyone on this bike at any skill level and they will be unbelievably fast. I would definitely recommend this bike to anyone in the market.
*Note* Before buying this bike I spend 2 hours test riding a few 26ers and this kick@ss machine. I am 5'8" and feel I fit this bike very well.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Similar Products Used:   Trek EX8

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by cabbage-soup a Cross Country Rider from Europe-land

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2008

Strengths:    Excellent frame and fork Combo for the money. The Fox 29 is a massive improvment over the Reba 29 I ran last year.

Weaknesses:    dodgy crank and Avid brakes are pants

Bottom Line:
I'm a tall guy, about 6'2". I've always struggled to get a good fit on a bike. 26er XL frames leave you too high at the front. Going over drops and steep decents was always a sketchy experience. I tried 29 inch wheels and loved it. For tall people 29ers are a no brainer. The only problem I had was the lack of zip in the rear. 29er wheels are slow to accelerate. Sure they roll well but in and out of the corners I struggled to really make them fly. This bike is the perfect combination of both. All the advantages of the 29er confidence up front and the zip of a 26 inch wheel behind. I notice at this years Interbike a few more companies are bringing out 69ers. I think it's the way forward for tall riders or riders who have confidence problems on the steeps.

Probably the best bike I've riden in 20 years of mountain biking.

My only gripe is the 2009 model gets the ABP and floating pivot. That would have been nice.

Favorite Trail:   Mega qualifier

Similar Products Used:   Plenty of 26er suspensions and a couple of 29er hardtails

Bike Setup:   As stock, Will change crankset and brakes this winter as they wear out. Changed out the tyres for some Schwalbe goodness.

Submitted by Jay Anderson a Cross Country Rider from Denton, Texas, USA

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2008

Strengths:    This bike likes to spin up and roll! I notice that I am way faster than my previous bike (RALEIGH TOMAC M Ti 1000) even though it was a Ti hardtail race bike...the 29" front wheel turns everything into a launch ramp and makes mole hills out of mountains...

Weaknesses:    29er front wheel takes a minute to get used to....it definitely feels bigger than a 26er!

Bottom Line:
The Bottom line is that I wanted to finally go full suspension and 4" travel is perfect for anything I ride...the 29er in the front rolls over anything and my riding buddies have learned not to follow my lines...the 26er in the back gives way better acceleration than any full 29er I have ridden and I just find myself having more fun than I can ever remember riding my TREK 69er. PS If you see me on the trail , Im the one with the huge grin from ear to ear...

Favorite Trail:   Dyke Trail, Crested Butte, CO.

Similar Products Used:   None..this bike is truly in a class by itself!

Bike Setup:   I wanted to replace several components to bring this bike up to my standards...I swapped out the stock AVID Juicy 5's for FORMULA K24's...whoa..what modulation and no brake noise...I swapped the SHIMANO DEORE crankset for a '08 SHIMANO XT crankset...just like to stick to the XT level and my local LBS took care of me once again...finally I swapped the SRAM X7 rapid fire shiftpod for SRAM XO GripShift because I have always used GripShift and it works great with the stock XO rear derailleur...that's it...I just ride the hell outta it!

Submitted by Ken Gatt a Weekend Warrior from phoenix,az,usa

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2008

Strengths:    weight, geometry, price, innovative design

Weaknesses:    cranks, front derailer, tires are tubeless ready but not tubeless.

Bottom Line:
I demoed the bike first and bought one the next day.

The bike rocks, I love it, my friends are jealous, I am faster now and am not sure if it is the bike or me, whatever the case, I am more confident on the drops, rocky climbs and stairs with the 29 up front. The bike handles like a charm and it feels like it 'carves' through turns.

The front shock locks out easy when needed and the pro-pedal on the rear works great.

I am not a good enough rider to know if the deore cranks are really worse than XT, but my 'name dropping' ego is bruised when my brethren pull up with XT or XTR equipped bikes.

The bike weighed in around 27.5 stock and now is just a little over 27 since I went tubeless. For a $2500.00 bike, this seems like a great deal. Pedals used are xpedo.

I only notice the larger tire up front when I want to, the rocky descents and medium size drops no longer give me the willies or concern me that I will go over the handlebars. Other than that, I don't notice the difference and have yet to miss having a smaller wheel up front.

My budget for a bike was around $4000.00 this was the only production full suspension 69er out there and it only cost $2500.00. If it got stolen tomorrow, I would replace it with the same thing all over again!

Purchased At:   lbs