Trek Superfly Elite 29er Hardtail

Superfly is THE choice for the aficionado seeking the fastest, most advanced, best 29er out there. Upgrades from Superfly:
  • SRAM X.0 2x10 drivetrain
  • Fox F29 with FIT lightweight cartridge damper
  • Bontrager Scandium RXL 29 wheels
  • Avid XO hydraulic disc brakes

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Eric Foster

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2012

Strengths:    None, apparently wood sticks in the forest are stronger than the frame according to the engineer at TREK! LMFAO

Weaknesses:    Weak

Bottom Line:
    Bike broke 1 week before leaving for the Tour Divide Race. Bike had only ~500 miles on it no scratches or wrecks. TREK could not get me a new bike in time so I was forced to buy a new bike. I bought the Salsa Mariachi Ti and it is the best bike I have ever owned which I rode in the Tour Divide this year. After TREK denied my warranty claim I was pretty ticked off. I made a few phones calls to TREK and talked to one of their engineers that actually looked at the bike. He said that it was an impact probably from a stick. I asked him how a stick was stronger than their frame and he couldn't give me a real answer, instead he compared it to the force of straw flying through the air in a tornado. Pretty retarded answer dude, I have taken enough physics to understand a real answer.

Also I got screwed over because I was told that TREK has great warranties and policies only to be screwed over by them one out more than 2000 dollars and almost without a bike for a race that costs thousands of dollars.

Anyways I will never buy a TREK bike again. They constantly break. And I will never recommend their bikes to anyone in fact I will work at destroying their reputation one customer at a time.

Submitted by davidbelden a Racer

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2012

Strengths:    It makes me want to ride more! What more can I ask of a bike?

- It makes 40 miles of trail feel like 20!
    - Very light.
    - Small bumps, roots, rocks, brake-bumps are smoothed out considerably by the big wheels
    - Uphill traction is considerably better than that of a 26? hard-tail
    - Climbs very confidently.
    - Traction on corners is much better than I expected
    - It rolls faster and carries more momentum on flats, descents, and rollers.
    - Trek's geometry makes for very confident descending
    - I've set a bunch of new Strava KOM's that are largely due to the light, fast bike.
    - Lifetime warranty

Weaknesses:    - 2×10 drivetrain is fun, but it’s hard to find the right gear on the pavement if you’re used to a 3×10. That said, I'm always willing to sacrifice road performance for dirt performance.
    - 2×10 drivetrain also means that the bailout granny gear just isn’t there for the end of long races and rides.

Bottom Line:
    I've logged 2,000 miles on my Trek Superfly Elite, and like it more and more every ride! It has much much more range than I expected and is way more fun than I anticipated. I was trying to be a 29er hater, and after one long ride I was sold. It's light, fast, and ha a lifetime warranty. Hard to beat that!

Fantastic for XC racers, Leadville racers, and anyone else that likes to have fun on a mountain bike. If you love to ride, and want to go faster on your local trails, a Trek Superfly Elite is an incredibly fun way to make that happen.

Submitted by cyclingmagnet a Cross Country Rider from Littleton,CO

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2012

Strengths:    G2 geometry with the 15 m through axle

Weaknesses:    no rear suspension -kidding

Bottom Line:
    I built this bike up as my secret weapon for US marathon nationals. I should have upgraded the motor ;'), finished on the podium but no stars and stripes jersey. Not the bikes fault. It handled great. Super happy with how this bike handles. Front end with the G2 geometry really feels solid. I got it just under 20lbs with Stan's Gold wheels, Stan's raven tires. Since then have ridden lots of Colo trails. A great 29er stiff platform. I liked the ride better with a wider rear tires 2.2 and pressure around 22 lbs.

Favorite Trail:   Colorado trail

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stumpjumper 29er

Bike Setup:   Upgraded drive train to XX and Rotor cranks and Rotor Qrings and Fox RLC G2 fork, TRP brakes

Submitted by neilosc a Racer from South Africa

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2011

Strengths:    The G2 geometry handling is the benchmark for all 29'ers out there, and I mean all. Stiff frame and laid back cruisey type feel on the bike can mask its thoroughbred race pedigree.SRAM transmission 2 blade X0 and Avid X0 brakes top class.

Weaknesses:    Everything Bontrager. The tyres lasted 2 weeks here on African terrain they were absolute rubbish, the scandium rims were heavy and frail (replaced with Stans ZTR Crest), freewheel body started to slip and required regular servicing.

Bottom Line:
    Ridden TransAlp on it since new, stage races and lotsa training miles (3000 miles) and Ive stopped looking at new bikes.....It climbs comfortably all day in the Alps but the sweetest of all is its singletrack downhill ability...Gary you rock you guys have got the handling dialled on this bike but for my money I would go with the rockshox sid G2 off the 2012 model and dump anything Bontrager upfront.
    Gotta love the Superfly Elite...

Favorite Trail:   Mankele mountainbiking

Purchased At:   Bicycle habitat NYC.

Similar Products Used:   Ridden Santa cruz Tallboy 29, Scott scale pro 29, Ninerjet, Momsen SL29, On-one 29er etc..

Bike Setup:   Stans ZTR Crest wheelset with Schwalbe snake skin(Racing ralph/rocket rons).Ritchey stem. XTR pedals.

What upgrades to make to the Carbon Trek superfly elite 100 2011

Rear shocks out at fox getting rebuild, what have you done to make your superfly even more race ready/ Efficient lighter and faster. What else to look out for on these supeflys while I have it apart. THANKS!Read More »

My new Trek superfly 100 Al elite

Well about a month ago I got a Trek Marlin and was considering upgrading the the fork and some other forks but this past Friday I went by the trek store and traded it in for a whole new bike lol. I got the Superfly 100 AL elite. I really like this bike and I think it will do what I want to do. The M ... Read More »

Thoughts on the superfly 100 al elite/pro?

Just wondering what those of you that have either of these have to say about them. I'm real close to pulling the trigger and would like to hear from those that have put a few miles on them.Read More »

2013 trek superfly elite al upgrade help?

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Calibri]2013 trek superfly elite al upgrade help?Read More »

Superfly 100 Elite- lubrication points?

I have a 2012 Superfly 100 AL Elite. It's starting to make some creaking noises here and there. Which points on the frame should be lubricated? I'm going to do some maintenance over the weekend and don't want to put any grease where it doesn't belong.Read More »