Trek Stache 8 29er Hardtail

4.86/5 (7 Reviews)

Welcome to the future. Stache breaks new trail bike ground, blending 29er hardtail simplicity and fun with trail-tuned suspension, geometry, and spec. Trail, meet your new master.

• Fox Evolution Series fork
  • Race Face Turbine crank
  • Shimano Deore XT Plus rear derailleur
  • Shimano SLX brakes

Trek Stache 8 Pro Review

But here comes the Trek Stache with its short stays, slack head angle, dropper post eagerness and it is wagging its tail and ready to play. This is the fun hardtail 29er and it is ready to rally. It will climb, corner, drop and jump and do things beyond the traditional 29er hardtail comfort zone. It is agile, capable and it looks darn good too. And although some folks might think the pricing of $1760 for the Stache 7 and $2420 for the Stache 8 is a lot of money, I will make the argument that these bikes offer a heck of a deal. Continue reading →

Submitted by Tim Criswell a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2014

Strengths:    Everything. this bike is just plain awesome. I love Hardtails and this is a really great one, Mine weighs 27.05 lbs with pedals and 2 water bottle cages.

Weaknesses:    None yet....

Bottom Line:
I just bought the 2014 Stache 8. It is the orange colored one. Words can not describe how great this bike is.Al I can say is WOW. It climbs like a billy goat and descends like a full suspension. For a 29er it can accelerate like nobodies business. Even the stock tires are pretty good. I would highly recommend this bike to anyone looking for a all around awesome bike. Frame is awesome, components are awesome.

Submitted by Fuzzyface a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2014

Strengths:    Relatively light weight
Fast
Maneuverable

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
After 4yrs of 26" hardtail, I finally took the plunge into the 29er realm....and glad I did with the 2014 Stache 8. It only took a few rides to get accustomed to the geometry & feel. Having read some reviews about it being a well-balanced all-around mountain bike, I would have to agree. Climbs well, descends with confidence, and plenty nimble through technical sections. I ride mostly hard-packed trails with roots & logs etc, where the Stache is a blast...while recent rides through more technical rocky trails have proven the bike to be up for the task and confidence-instilling.

Component-wise, I'm no expert...but generally pleased with the package. The 2x10 setup is exactly what I need. The Fox shocks are quite nice, so far just sticking with climb or trail modes. As expected, the Shimano brakes and shifters are flawless. Whether or not the component upgrades from the Stache 6 or 7 are worth the cost, I can't say...but I trust that over time the components will pay for themselves, and I don't plan to stop biking anytime soon.

Fit-wise, the 19" frame for my 6'/170lb self fits well, thought the saddle to handlebar distance is a bit tighter than I was used to with my 2007 6500 SLR . Will see how that pans out on longer rides, but no complaints so far. An off-set seat post may be in the future, given my long torso... but the more forward position has been a plus on climbs and attacking technical sections...while not being a liability on descents. It was a tough call after also test-riding a Superfly (which had a more similar feel to the SLR), but I have no regrets going with the more aggressive-feeling Stache.

I would definitely recommend to a friend, whether a beginner or a seasoned rider.

Submitted by Henri8 a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2014

Strengths:    Fast, technicaly capable, can cover most of the terrain included in a trail bike's menu, fun! Excellent climber, light, great cornring. Perfect for flowing long trails, gets by well in techincal terrain even if rocky, grear climber, good at long distance as well. Comfy for a hardail. Shimano SLX/XT/ Race face cranks perform well. Great geomtery. non-fashionable-not-so-very-short-chainstay with G2 front = agile handling, very capable in corenrs, tracks well but also quick handler.

Weaknesses:    How long is the rear wheel going to last?
A bit expensive
Rear tire sensitive to pressure (too high no tracktion, too low slam the rim)

Bottom Line:
Can do (almost) anything fun bike. You can use it as your only mountain bike.

Favorite Trail:   All flowing and technical single trek

Purchased At:   Local distributor in

Similar Products Used:   Banshee Paradox
Felt 9
Kona Honzo

Bike Setup:   Single Chainring - wide narroe raceface 30t (no front derailer)
Front team XR4
Tubelwess front and rear
RockShox Reverb

Submitted by JCsMamba

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2013

Strengths:    Drivetrain, SLX brakes. Fork. This bike rides like a whisper on the trail. Blows me away every time I'm out there. I also like the color.

Weaknesses:    Just the rider.

Bottom Line:
This was an upgrade to my 2013 Mamba that I rode for about 10 months. That Mamba was my first foray into MTB. I'm 5'8" 155 lbs, and that Mamba was a 15.5" frame. With the Stache I upsized to the 17.5" frame because I felt more confident on the bike, and it was the last 2013 Stache 8 anywhere around so the LBS gave me a hell of a deal on the new bike and the trade in.

I've had the bike about 3 weeks and I've put about 125-150 miles on it so far. I still can't get over how quiet she is. Every time I hit the trails, I find more things to be impressed with. She's light for an aluminum frame and the Fox fork combo. I switched over my Schwalbe tires for a tubeless set-up. Running 27 psi in the rear and 25 psi up front; this foot print gives me the best bite on these tires. I still haven't gone clipless, so I use the crankbrothers 50/50 2 pedals. Clipless will probably be the next upgrade for me.

Trek has their new Trek Care warranty plan that I'll probably purchase. It seems pretty comprehensive, I'm just beating up on the LBS so they can beat up Trek on the price. $356+ tax for the warranty. I could upgrade quite a few of the components before I hit that price point. If the warranty were closer to 10% of the list price, I'd be in. Although if I taco a wheel, it would pay for itself immediately. Trek also allows you to pay the difference in upgrading parts. So if I damage the SLX brakes in a crash, XT here I come.

Submitted by Charlie Kozak

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2013

Strengths:    Everything. A 29er all mountain bike! What else you can say.

Weaknesses:    I don't know yet.

Bottom Line:
Very fun bike to ride if you are a hard tail fan.

Submitted by Stamps

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2013

Strengths:    Solid build with thru axles front and rear, post mounted rear brake, stealth reverb routing, RF turbine crank, slx brakes and biggest of all...a shadow plus derailleur.

Weaknesses:    Poor cable management options when you're mounting a stealth reverb post: Trek provides the outlet at the seattube for a stealth post but then doesn't provide a cable management option on the downtube so you have piggyback the rear brake housing..also frames run a little long on the top tube so you may choose to drop a size from your normal size range.

Bottom Line:
This is a review after my first test ride on bike. I'm 6' tall and got a 19" frame. Everything is stock except for a shorter stem (replaced 90mm w/ a 50mm), a raceface atlas bar, a tubeless setup and a stealth reverb. Bike weighs a hair under 28lbs.

The Stache is a great bike to ride. The shadow plus rear mech makes it unbelievably quiet for a hardtail. I took this bike on one of the rockier trails in my area and even on fast descents in rock gardens the bike had ZERO chainslap. The bike felt playful with its geo and didn't mind getting a lil' air. It was solid in the corners and felt stiff and responsive with very little flex thanks in part to the thru axles. After riding full suspension exclusively for the last 8 years it felt weird to be on a hardtail. However, with all its modern trail bike amenities, I never felt the need to dial it back on technical terrain and climbing of course was rediculously efficient.

The stache is great for aggressive riders who like to have fun on the trail. The Stache 8 build leaves little to be desired or upgraded out of the box. Sure you could get an entry level full suspension bike at its price range but that bike wouldn't come close as far as components go. Just be sure to test ride one as the sizes feel a little on the large side of spectrum.

Submitted by dwnhlldav a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2012

Strengths:    Here's my 2nd ride review. I'll add an update after a bit more time on the bike.

Full disclosure, I repair bikes for a living and currently work for a Trek dealer. That being said, I've worked at dealers that sell pretty much all of the major brands and try to remain as unbiased as possible when having interactions on message boards. Yes, I typically buy what I can get a deal on, but have payed retail while working at a shop (a cardinal sin for us shop folk) to get a bike if my shop didn't carry a brand that offered what I was looking for at the time. So, even though I do work for a Trek dealer, please trust that when I review a bike, I'm doing if from the standpoint of someone who's been riding mountain bikes for 20 years and has been wrenching on them professionally for 15 years. I bring all of that history to a review, and try to keep the fact that I work for a dealer that sells the brand I'm reviewing out of my mind while writing a review.

Weaknesses:    Some background:

I tend to have one favorite bike that I keep for many years while cycling through a bunch of others, trying to find the next favorite. My last 3 primary bikes were a 2005 Santa Cruz Chameleon that I bought in 2005 and rode through 2011 (it was my backup bike for 2011), a 2011 Xcal that I bought and rode for the 2011 season and a 2012 rumblefish elite bought this year and rode till August. During that time I also had 7 other mountain bikes pass through the quiver. Even though I hadn’t found a suitable replacement for the Chameleon, I sold it at the end of the 2011 season because I felt I’d been on it long enough.

There's something about hardtails that keep me going back to them. Every couple years I buy a new full suspension bike and try it out. I can totally see the benefits, and for going downhill, they're the best. I've raced downhill in the past and if I had better access to lift/shuttle riding, I'd have another dh bike. I've just not found a full suspension bike that I have as much fun riding on my day to day trails. My latest full suspension bike was the 2012 Trek Rumblefish elite. If I lived somewhere with more descending I think I would like that bike a whole lot more, but as it is I ride the flat lands and occasionally make the drive to lift or shuttle served riding. It was a great bike, it just made my local trails too easy but it wasn't burly enough for those dedicated downhill days. So I sold it in August and was planning on riding my rigid single speed for the remainder of the season.

Bottom Line:

I've owned 17 mountain bikes in 20 years of riding and ridden many more. My most favorite bike so far was my Santa Cruz Chameleon. It was also one of only a handful of bikes that stayed in my quiver longer than a season. That is a hardtail that makes you feel like you can do anything.

After 17 years on 26" wheels only, and a couple years going back and forth between 26" and 29" wheels I've become very sold on the idea of 29' wheels for my all-around trail bike. I do have some time on 650b wheels as well. I won't go into detail, but right now, they're not for me. The Xcal felt like a race bike. It was fast and agile, and it handled more technical stuff than I expected, but I never found it to be confidence inspiring and it didn't put as big a grin on my face as the Chameleon. In fact no 29er that I've ridden prior to the Stache came close to the playfulness of the Chameleon. Granted, I haven't gotten on a Canfield, Banshee or Transition. If you want to read my whole write up on the Xcal, you can refer back to here http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/first-impressions-2011-trek-gf-x-caliber-709714.html So, I knew I wanted a 29" wheeled hardtail with a burly build, slacker angles and a longer fork than a typical XC 29er. What I wanted was the 29" version of my SC Chameleon.

When the Stache was leaked prior to the full release of Trek’s 2013 line, it piqued my interest. I was going to buy a Banshee or Transition next spring. But the Stache seemed to be the same concept, plus I can get in through my shop ;). I got to make the trip from my shop in NE Wisconsin down to Trek for Trek World, the unveiling of the new model year to their dealers. The former service manager from my shop works at Trek so he arranged for a couple of us to take out some demo bikes after the official demos were over, meaning we got to spend more time on them. I opted for the Stache of course. The short version is, I liked it soo much I ordered one the next day. Dealer employees were offered a frame/fork only deal that would be shipping much earlier than complete bikes so I went with that. I only mention it so I don’t have to answer as many questions as to why my built isn’t stock.

There’s just a bit more you need to know. I’m what I like to refer to as “festively plump,” and I like and seek out technical riding. Those two traits mean I need a burlier build than typical or I’m constantly breaking and replacing stuff.

First Take:
When I got on the Stache I instantly felt at home. It's exactly what they say it is, a trail bike. The difference in ride between the Xcal and Stache is far greater than the sum of the geometry tweaks. The front and rear thru axles, wider rims, meatier tires, longer fork, stiffer bottom bracket and frame all add up to a very different ride from the race bikes. With the Xcal, I always felt awkward getting it off the ground and noticed flex in the frame and fork when ripping corners. 5 minutes after getting on the Stache I was wheelie dropping stairs. 20 minutes into the ride I was hitting doubles and casing some, following my guide off unknown-to-me drops and over skinnies while pinning it through corners. This bike taunts you into doing stupid things then uses the longer travel and big wheels to make up for any shortcomings. This thing loves to carve corners. It’s forgiving of mistakes. It’s far more playful than the race bikes.

Thoughts on the build:
My build is a bit heavier than stock. Most of it is in the wheels. The stock wheels (rhytm elite 29er) are strong and decently light given their intended use. I can feel the extra weight in my wheels, mostly on the climbs. I prefer the SLX brakes that the stock bike comes with over the XX brakes I’m running. Shadow plus derailleurs are one of the most substantial new technologies to come along in the last several years. I can’t see ever buying a rear derailleur that doesn’t have this technology. Between the new brakes and the shadow plus derailleurs, I’m firmly back on the Shimano bandwagon.

I like the new 29.3 tires that come on the stock bike. The 29.4 I have on the front now is much like a kenda nevegal. It sticks like glue to the trail, but also rolls like it’s stuck to the trail with glue. Slow. I’ll probably swap it for a 29.3 and keep the 29.2 in the back. The 29.3 fits in with Kenda Slant 6 tires. Its a great compromise between rolling resistance and traction.

For most of my riding, a dropper post is unnecessary. But I have really liked having it on more technical rides. The joplin functions as it’s intended, but I’m lusting after a Rock Shox Reverb with stealth routing.

Favorite Trail:   The Whole Enchilada

Duration Product Used:   2 rides so far

Similar Products Used:   2011 Trek X Caliber, 2012 Trek Rumblefish Elite, 2006 Santa Cruz Chameleon

Bike Setup:   - 2013 Stache 8 Frame/Fork - 120mm Fox Evolution 32mm, G2, 15mm thru axle
- Bontrager Rhythm Elite bars 820mm cut down to 740mm
- Bontrager Rhythm Pro Stem 80mm 7 degree flipped down
- SLX Shifters
- SLX Shadow Plus rear derailleur
- XT direct mount front derailleur
- Raceface Evolve DH crank. 22-36-Bash.
- Sram Elixir XX brakes 185mm front 160mm rear rotors
- Wheels - Azonic recoil hubs, 36 hole, 142x12 rear, 15mm front, Eighthinch Bueller rims. My shop has a house brand called Eighthinch (more info at eighthinch.com). It’s a fixie brand. These rims are sold for Fixie Freestyle, but they are an off the shelf all-mountain 29er rim. Since we buy them at OEM pricing, they were a screaming deal for me.
- Tires, Bontrager 29.4 up front, 29.2 in the back.
- Crank Bros Joplin post.
- Bontrager evoke saddle

Trek Stache 8 wheels

I know a lot of people have recommended the Stache 8 as a good bike. It looks like it will fit my needs and it's on my short list if bikes I'm considering. My main concern with it is the wheels. Will the 28h wheels be okay with a super Clyde riding XC with roots, rocks and a few small drops? Se ... Read More »

A bike I wouldn't change a thing on - Trek Stache 8

I've been lucky enough to borrow a Trek Stache 8 from my LBS for a couple of weeks until my new bike arrives, last weekend they lent me a Fuel EX 9 29er which I thought was fantastic, however they told me they had a Stache for me and I jumped at the chance to ride it as I've been toying with the ide ... Read More »

Sizing advice needed for Trek Stache 8

Looking for advice on frame size. Have decided to upgrade from my current 14 year Trek6000 to a 29er. I really like the look and setup on the Trek Stache 8 but am unsure as to getting a 19in or 21in. My Trek6000 is a 21in and I am 6ft 2in, trouser length 32in and around the 180lbs mark. The bike has ... Read More »

Going to get my first mountain bike Stache 8 - had questions.

I am male, 42, 200 pounds and 5 foot 9 inches. size available is 17.5 or 19 inches. I generally feel more comfortable with the smaller size, but Ive read on some forums that no matter what if you borderline go with the 19 inch. For what reason I dont know??? any logic or reasoning behind this?? ... Read More »

Help- Can't Find Stache 8 in 23" size...

Trek Warehouse is out..I really want this bike...no way I can search all local shops... help a mtb-brother out......any ideas?Read More »