Trek Rig 29er Hardtail

2.25/5 (20 Reviews)

Nothing beats the efficiency and simplicity of a 29er hardtail. Great for XC racing, marathons, 24-hour racing, or simply shredding singletrack.

Submitted by Graham a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2013

Strengths:    The frame is excellent and the wheels and tyres are very suitable. serious riders would upgrade wheels.

Weaknesses:    Brake fluid leaks from the reserviour near the levers. Brakes squeal when wet and don't dry out until washed with detergent. The chain need adjustment after every second ride.

Bottom Line:
I am very disappointed with my purchase of this bike. Trek have really let me down with the components on the Rig. I'm sick of hearing my friends tell me my wheels/brakes squeak. The rear wheel adjustment is not simple and does not stay true for very long. And this bike is a single speed!

Duration Product Used:   2 years

Purchased At:   Bowral, NSW

Submitted by sandmangts a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2013

Strengths:    Fork is great, Geometry is great. Fast bike.

Weaknesses:    Dropouts are a major design flaw and safety issue. The dropout hardware is weak and bends easily. The headset is pure junk. Trek should be ashamed.

Bottom Line:
I bought my Rig used for $500 so I really can't complain. The original owner rode the bike about 100 miles before giving up on it. I knew about the issues but I figured for $500 I couldn't go wrong. First off let me say that I have fixed all the issues and I really do love this bike. It is super fast and handles great but getting it to be a great bike was a major pain.

First what everyone says about the dropouts is true. The stock scewers will not seat all the way into them because the come into contact with the frame. Trek is well aware of this issue. The trek rep told me to order the replacement dropout with the derailler hanger. It is threaded and bolts on more securely. I purchased the part and it worked. I also replaced all the rear dropout hardware, bolts etc. with grade 8 hardware. The stronger bolts will not bend or break. These solutions worked. The wheel does not move at all anymore.

I also replaced the crappy headset with a cane Creek sealed bearing unit. This made a huge difference in the steering feel. Much more solid feeling. Removing the stock headset was a nightmare, because of the shape of the headtube and the fact that the headset is rounded where the headset removal tool comes in to contact with it. It is impossible to remove the headset with a standard tool. Even the Trek dealer mechanic couldn't get it out.

If I had paid retail for this bike I would be seriously angry. That being said if you are a decent mechanic and you can get one used cheap from somebody who can'f fix theirs go for it.

All I can say to Trek is please stop taking cost cutting shortcuts on the most important parts of the bike! They cut corners to be able to put a Fox fork on a bike at a $1600 price point. The frame and components can only be as good as the parts that hold them together. If you use crappy headsets, bottom brackets and bolts you end up with a crappy bike.

Purchased At:   Used

Similar Products Used:   Voodoo Wanga, Cannondale 1fg

Bike Setup:   Stock except for cane creek headset, Jones modified XTR cranks.

Submitted by Frank B a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2013

Strengths:    Fox fork. Price point

Weaknesses:    Everything but the fork.

Bottom Line:
Rode for 1.5 seasons and finally gave up on the rear dropouts. I bought a Lynskey Ridgeline SL frame and moved everything from the rig to it. All you will need to do the same are two BB spacers because the Lynskey shell is narrower (68mm vs 73mm). I bought a spare BB to have on hand and the spacers came with it. The Lynskey is MUCH better. The Rig wheels are trash. The rear broke spokes constantly, so I replaced the rim and spokes. Then the front started breaking spokes. Spokes broke at nipples in rear and at hub in front as I recall. I gave up on the wheels and bought Hadley hubs and Stans Arch EX rims - MUCH better. The Rig is a starting point, but expect to be disappointed and replace parts? Anybody want 3/4 of an XL Rig? It is hanging in my garage.

Favorite Trail:   Turkey Mountain, Tulsa

Duration Product Used:   18 mo

Similar Products Used:   Stump jumper FSR, Lynskey Ridgeline SL

Bike Setup:   Frankenstein single speed that started as a Rig

Submitted by John Miller

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2012

Strengths:    Fork, thats it

Weaknesses:    Chain tensioner {like everyone else said} what were they thinking

Bottom Line:
I've head a bunck of rigs, they're basic single speed. The bracket is junk

Submitted by cjsb

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2012

Strengths:    frame geometry and handling. gree with many here that this bike is a lot of fun to ride, it corners well and very easy to get both wheels in the air. I like the F 29 fork, too, maybe it's the bigger wheels but feels like more than 100 mm travel. frame geo., handling and fork I give this bike an "A"

Weaknesses:    All the contact point components should thrown away and the crankset is loud, squeaky and has way too much play. BUT the biggest weakness is the effin' sliding dropouts that slide all the effin' time, causing the rear wheel to move. It's a disgrace and Trek ought to take it off the market, they totally effect this up.

Bottom Line:
My first 29er and first SS. I loved the simplicity and the ride--and then the rear wheel started moving on every effin' ride. the simple bike required more adjustments and time not riding than any geared bike I have ridden. I put XT skewers on and that helped for a while, could 6-8 rides without the wheel slipping, but now it's back to every single effin' ride. What an epic fail for Trek, they hit on so many aspects of this bike but they screwed the pooch so badly with the dropouts that you don't want to ride a bike that you otherwise love. I am selling this bike just because of the effin drop outs, sick of effin with it. Huge negative rec. on this bike until trek steps up and offers owners replacement dropouts that work or they start over with a new design. more power to the guy who drilled his own solution --Trek should be embarrassed by that, get your stuff together and effin' fix the problem. the Rig's drop outs suck!

Submitted by Mark Corbett a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2012

Strengths:    Great handling,reasonable cost, great fork.

Weaknesses:    Drop outs. Adjustment hassles. Wheel can and will come out.

Bottom Line:
I read the reviews of the previous model with adjustments at bottom bracket and ordered a leftover 2011. I then read the Trek model reviews, but it was too late. I love the way it rides but today after a couple months of riding the wheel came out. I believe the skewer must not have been square when tightened the night before. This has been adressed on numerous reviews. I flipped the bike over on the trail and reinstalled the wheel, at wich time in seemed to center better. This should never be an issue on any bike. I'lll be some what nervous from now on. I can't recommend this bike but would consider other Gary Fisher designed frame.

Favorite Trail:   tour de woods race course,Munising,MI

Similar Products Used:   Raleigh xxiv

Bike Setup:   Ergon grips, captain control tires, atac pedals.

Submitted by paul

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2012

Strengths:    ride quality , fox fork, awesome geometry.

Weaknesses:    those stupid sliding dropouts. and built in wheel ejection system to keep you on your toes (or head).

Bottom Line:
It's what I describe as a love / hate relationship. I love riding the bike , it handles like a big bmx bike , you really throw it at corners and it puts a grin on your face, it eats hills for breakfast and jumps like a kangaroo. .... then theres the hate ....it has been hard work and lots of grief (and blood) to keep it's chain tight and back wheel on. I reckon the designers got distracted by some hot office babe in a short skirt and left the dropouts for the janitor to finish .
Would I recommend you buy it? ...no , unless you buy it for the parts and transfer them to a frame with a well designed dropout/ chain tensioning system.

Submitted by vhaupt

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2012

Strengths:    Plain simple great value for money from the Big brands as far as a SS goes

Weaknesses:    Chain adjustment is a hassle and I recon a design weakness. But this can be fixed.

Bottom Line:
I loved it so much, also bought a Superfly Frameset SS....awesome bike.
I recon all the chain tension loss problems are the wheel/axle moving in the drop outs. After adjusting, one simple ride and its loose. Loosen the QR press on seat and do up QR....tension sweet.
So Trek aside. I drilled a 2.5mm hole up from the lower part of the drop out. Tapped it to take a 3mm grub screw. After inserting wheel with no chain tension, ensuring its all the way in, I simply turn in the grub screws up onto the axle and then adjust chain, Never had it slip a mm.......done the same on my Superfly SS. SORTED.

Submitted by Macgruber a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2012

Strengths:    Geometry
Handling

Weaknesses:    Brakes
Dropouts
Wheel ejection

Bottom Line:
Got what I thought was a great deal on the 2011 model in the beginning of 2012. I was able to deal with the loosening sliders, but the rear wheel ejection design flaw is a deal breaker. Supposed to bring it back to the LBS this week so they can " try" a DT Swiss ratcheting skew, but I'm not sure my knee can take them experimenting with parts to hope the rear wheel will stay in. The most upsetting thing about this, besides not being able to ride at all while I heal from the last failure, is that I love riding this bike. The thing handles like it's on rails and is fun to ride, but it is so difficult to get the rear brake to stay aligned, and the creaking dropouts, and the wheel to stay in all due to the design flaw of the dropouts that it's not worth the fight.

Favorite Trail:   Oak Mountain

Similar Products Used:   Spec Rockhopper

Bike Setup:   Factory except for Race Face Next seatpost and handlebars

Submitted by gingertooth a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2012

Strengths:    amazing bike in very technical conditions and in twisty singletrack

Weaknesses:    dropouts not staying in place and causing chain tensioning to loosen. And bottom bracket constantly being destroyed from muddy/wet conditions.

Bottom Line:
i had the previous rig frame and was warrentied with the 2012 frame. 2012 is much stiffer. I love this ss to death. I ride some of the narliest singletrack around and this thing goes through it all. Unbelievable handling it singletrack and technical conditions. The G2 geometry is fantastic. I can ride almost evrything with bike. i ride with a lot of SS riders and i haven't seen anyone able to ride all i can with this bike. I have been racing it lately in the endurance races and it is fantastic. But there is some issues with the is design. The dropouts continuosly move for some reason which many are experiencing and chain keeps loosening up. Also the Bottom bracket tends to get water and mud trapped in there and causes the BB to fail often. But other than these flaws it is an amazing bike.

Similar Products Used:   previous rig(2009)

Bike Setup:   Light

Submitted by scott a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2012

Strengths:    it comes with a nice fox fork

Weaknesses:    rear dropouts - design flaw in the frame does not allow enough room for the rear wheel skewer, this prevents the wheel from fitting all the way into the dropouts.
chain tension - the sliding dropouts require 3-4 wrenches to adjust and do not hold their postion
weak wheelset - I feel like my wheelset woreout fairly quickly, I am constantly truing and replacing spokes
the 2011 frameset is ugly

Bottom Line:
Do NOT buy this bike

I have owned two rig frames. The first was 2009 Gary Fisher Rig frame that cracked at the usual spot. I received a 2011 Trek Rig frame (ugly green/grey color) as a warranty replacement. The Rig is a decent value for a SS 29er. The problem is that the frame has a serious design flaw. The frame does not allow proper clearance for the rear wheel to fit all the way into the dropout because there is not enough clearance for the skewer. It is a subtle flaw that many owners are probably not even aware of. google "trek rig rear wheel fall out" for photos and details.
As a consequence, your rear wheel will be slightly off center. This creates problems for aligning your brake caliper and setting your chain tension. Oh, and the rear wheel may fall out while you ride.

Trek's official response via my LBS is that this is non issue because manufacturing imperfections of 1 mm or less are tolerated. The problem is that 1 mm is the difference between a wheel the properly attaches to the frame and one that doesn't.

There is also the issue of chain tension and the sliding dropouts that require 4 wrenches to adjust but you can google that as well. Bottom line: You will be sorry if you purchase this bike.

Bike Setup:   stock except: race face stem, truvativ holzfeller bars, surly 20t cog, kona wah wah pedals

Submitted by fisher457xc a Racer

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2012

Strengths:    There really isn't one.

Weaknesses:    Where do I start? Cant keep chain tight. Rear wheel never in line. Pretty heavy frame as well.

Bottom Line:
They should have stuck with EBB. My LAST trek purchase.

Submitted by bohemiathski a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2012

Strengths:    Relatively light

Weaknesses:    Chain tensioning issues
Rear wheel popping out

Bottom Line:
Essentially my experiences mimic the review of pete123steph@msn.com (see above)

On at least one occasion the time it took to re-align the rear wheel AND maintain correct tension was ridiculous. For some reason it was ridiculously finicky..and this was at home on a stand!. Doing this out on a trail would have sucked the big one. In short, I had a lot of rear wheel/chain tension issues .

I felt the finish on the bike is pretty average at best.

Found the bike bucked a lot at rear while descending, altough this could be a general 29er HT trait as far as I know.

Was happy to be rid of the bike, actually I wont buy another Trek as a consequence.

Submitted by pete123steph@msn.com a Racer from Phoenix

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2011

Strengths:    Geometry

Weaknesses:    This is a defective frame design and Trek needs to do a recall for safety! The rear sliding dropouts are poorly designed and do not hold under pressure and can cause the rear wheel to fly out of the dropouts if not if not caught in time. Here are the details.

There are 4 issues with the sliding dropouts on the 2011/2012 Trek Rig

1. The tension bolts are bending under pressure.
2. The slides are moving causing the chain to loosen.
3. The axle is moving inside the dropout.
4. Because of all the movement the skewer becomes loose during rides which results in the rear wheel falling off if not caught in time.

Bottom Line:
There are multiple reports of the rear wheel flying off the bike and there have been injuries due to this.

If you read the other reviews on this bike they all say they have issues with the rear sliding dropouts. Furthermore Trek has denied knowledge of the problems and they refuse to replace the frame, offer a refund or do a recall. Save yourself the money, time and risk and go with another bike.

Favorite Trail:   BC

Similar Products Used:   Niner EMD, Voodoo Bokor, any aluminum frame.

Submitted by Ant-Eater a Racer from Vermont

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2011

Strengths:    Frame geometry. Fox fork.

Weaknesses:    Sliding dropouts slip constantly; bottom bracket is junk; stock rear tire is better for pavement. Juicy 3 brakes are a

Bottom Line:
Overall, the Rig is a nice bike. The frame geometry is spot-on if you like quick handling in single track. It climbs well and is very predictable descending or picking through technical terrain. I've done quite a few cross country races on this bike and it performs well. The weak point is the sliding dropouts - they don't stay put. I've cranked them down probably way tighter than I should have and they still slip. Sometimes it only takes one good ride for the chain to start slopping around. Very annoying. I think it has gotten worse over time. Considering there are six (6!) different bolts to adjust the sliding dropout (needing 4 different wrenches), they should stay in place but they don't. The Truvativ GXP bottom bracket is pure junk. Truvativ/SRAM should be ashamed of the poor quality of this bottom bracket. I went through 3 sets before I got fed up enough to buy a Chris King. No problems since then. The Juicy 3 brakes are clearly low end but I guess they had to cut a corner somewhere to meet a price point. The stock rear tire is a joke unless you only ride on gravel roads. I would love to give this bike a higher rating but the sliding dropouts are an essential part of the bike's design and it is also the main weakness. Any other component could be upgraded or replaced easily. Unfortunately, Trek kept the same lame design for their 2012 Rig.

Favorite Trail:   Tap N Die

Purchased At:   bike shop

Similar Products Used:   dozens of MTB bikes over the years.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for BB7 brakes, Time ATAC alium pedals, Chris King bottom bracket, Oury grips and a real back tire (2.3)

Raising the front end of a classic XC rig...

I'm considering raising the front end of my classic FS XC rig by one or more of the following means. I'm interested in knowing the merits of the various schemes. 1. Install a fork with more travel. The current travel is 80mm or so and I believe the front of the bike will come up quite a bit by mo ... Read More »

Adjust eccentric bottom bracket (EBB) on Gary Fisher Rig

I'm having problems adjusting EBB on my Gary Fisher Rig SS. I've removed the outer set screw (bolt) and loosened the allen bolt on the non-drive side but I still can't rotate the bottom bracket. Am I missing a step? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!Read More »

Transition - new 24" miniature all mountain rig

[url=http://www.pinkbike.com/news/first-look-4-new-bikes-from-transition-eurobike-2014.html]First Look: 4 New Bikes From Transition - Eurobike 2014 - Pinkbike[/url] [B]Ripcord[/B] Transition has built up a strong band of followers over the years, and many of those riders are also parents. Well, ... Read More »

Help me build up a light dh rig

I just preordered a jedi with dvo emerald and now i'm trying to decide what components to put on it. Handlebars- pretty sure I want carbon 35mm - easton havocs i can probably get for a good price direct mount stem- what's a light 35mm direct mount stem? i'm assuming this will work with the dv ... Read More »

Perhaps the best Bikepacking rig???

[ATTACH=CONFIG]912302[/ATTACH] Ran across this by chance...I have zero information on this bike and set up. Looks like something one of those "dooms day preppers" would come up with.Read More »