Trek Paragon 29er Hardtail

4.2/5 (5 Reviews)

Nothing beats the efficiency and simplicity of a 29er hardtail. Great for XC racing, marathons, 24-hour racing, or simply shredding singletrack. Upgrades from X Caliber:
  • Fox F100 RL 29 with E2 steerer
  • FCC MTB wheels
  • SRAM X.9 rear derailleur/Shimano SLX direct-mount front derailleur

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by sprocket47

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2012

Strengths:    Very solid bike with great geometry.

Weaknesses:    A couple of the stock components. Color scheme is lame.

Bottom Line:
    I love my 2011 Paragon, although I've upgrated a few parts; Thomson post and stem, Answer bars, Shimano XT brakes, Selle Italia saddle, Specialized tires (tubless)...and a couple other things. The bike rides very solid and I feel confident on steep decents but it's light enough to climb great. The Fox RL forks are great! Wheels are fine - they stay tru and I'm a big rider, but they're heavy and are next on my list for upgrade. Bottom line is that the geometry and build of this bike is rock solid, very comfortable and super fun to ride. Although I like brighter color schemes on bikes, the tube shapes with the black/grey color gives it a great tank or recon look.

Submitted by mark forster a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2012

Strengths:    Price, Geometry, build kit, price (bought an '11 in Apr '12 for 1700)

Weaknesses:    Rear brake not burned by LBS and squealing like a mother, tires

Bottom Line:
    Nice ride and very stable. Handles technical trails well, maybe as good as my '02 Trek 8900. Normal XC chores no problem. Brakes aren't nearly Avid Elixir 7, but the stop well and everyone knows you're stopping (cause they can hear your brake). Not sure why they spec'd the tires they did. They're heavy 2.2's and I can't figure out what they're doing on this bike. A lighter 1.9 or 2.0 inch tire would make more since for most of my normal riding, race weight 2.2's would be better for a bike at this level.

Favorite Trail:   Anyplace without skunks

Similar Products Used:   Trek 8900

Bike Setup:   Stockish, bars shortened 3.5", nubby bar ends, serfas grips, WTB Racing V seat, Eggbeater 3s

Submitted by spankyjones a Cross Country Rider from usa

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2011

Strengths:    stability at speed due to long wheel base, lightweight (26.5 lbs. in 19" with pedals), great climber, best fork I've ever used (Fox)

Weaknesses:    boring paint and graphics, still getting used to the 17 degree handlebar but I think it's ok, looks like Trek used the crankset as a place to save costs, not a sharp turner in tight singletrack but that's the price you pay for a laid out cockpit and 29" wheels. D

Bottom Line:
    Good bike, bordering on great. Great compliment to my FS, and I couldn't pass it up for the price I paid. It will be my race bike next year and I think it will do the job well for courses that aren't really rocky or really tight.

I am truly in between sizes at 5'10" exactly. I tested a 17.5 X-Cal and I had 9" of seatpost showing, had the saddle all the way back on the rails, and I still felt crowded. The 17.5 just looked tiny too. The 19" felt a little big and looks a ittle big but it's definitely the better choice. The spacious cockpit is more confortable than I thought it would be - but I'm not going to be tossing this bike all over the trail. If you're 5'10" or more you have to get a 19". I'm a believer in sizing up if in between sizes, unless you're huckin.

Favorite Trail:   none

Purchased At:   craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Stumpjumper Comp 29

Bike Setup:   2011 stock except upgraded tires

Submitted by mdk84 a Cross Country Rider from Ann Arbor, MI

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2011

Strengths:    -Weight
    -Fork
    -Braking
    -Maneuverability

Weaknesses:    -Drivetrain
    -Handlebars (see bottom line)

Bottom Line:
    I recently got back into mountain biking after a 9 year hiatus. A lot has changed, and for a heavier guy like me, it's all changed for the better. At 5'11 230 lb, this bike just fits me like a glove. It's fast, maneuverable, climbs well, and inspires confidence. My fiance owns a 2011 Trek Cobia and the comparison between the Paragon and Cobia is pretty mind-blowing. I can do things on this bike I could never do on hers. The only downsides to this bike are the handlebars and the drivetrain. The handlebars are wide -- really wide -- and have a pretty significant 12mm swoop to them. It's actually the same degree of swoop that comes on the Cobia stock bars, but the extra width was intimidating at first. The main caveat I have with the swoop and width of the bars now is the pressure it puts on my palms. I've adjusted (with gloves and with a lot of riding) but from time to time I question impact on control of bars this wide.

The other downside is the drivetrain. Take what I say with a grain of salt, because I'm far from knowledgeable about modern MTB drivetrains, but the 3x10 setup on this bike feels like overcomplicated overkill. I actually find the 3x9 on her Cobia much more responsive and reliable. Go figure. That said, it performs when I push it; aside from some front derailleur rub, the downsides aren't too noticeable. Just feels to me like there are a lot of duplicated gear ratios on this bike.

All in all, I love it. Best bike I've ever owned, for sure. This is the XC bike that you can ride forever and never get tired or too beat up to keep going. If you're my size, you owe it to yourself to give a solid 29er hardtail a serious try. My comfort level on this bike is lightyears beyond anything I've ridden. I plan to ride it for the next 5 years at least.

Favorite Trail:   Boyne Highlands

Purchased At:   Wheels In Motion, A2

Similar Products Used:   -2011 Trek Cobia
    -2002 Raleigh M800

Bike Setup:   -Stock

Submitted by DougNuts a Cross Country Rider from Georgetown, Kentucky, USA

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2011

Strengths:    Fast and light (25lbs), but comfortable

Bottom Line:
    Bottom line - this bike made me fast. With no other changes besides buying the Paragon, I went from the perennial caboose to right in the mix with my riding buddies. In my opinion, nothing will reward hard pedaling (speed!) like a light HT 29er will.

Favorite Trail:   Idlewild

Similar Products Used:   Trek 6700
    This is my first 29er, although I have ridden many other bikes owned by friends (Niner, Specialized, Redline)

Bike Setup:   Stock - mine was delivered with the excellent Schwalbe Rocket Ron tires

2011 Trek Paragon New Old Stock, Opinions?

Hi, I went to a different LBS and they had a leftover '11 Paragon. It was a 19" which felt better than 17.5 Treks. I'm actually between sizes and would rather go larger. Anyway, I didn't negotiate with him because I wanted to do some research on the bike. It's all been positive and the test rid ... Read More »

Gary Fisher Paragon Build

I purchased a Gary Fisher Paragon frame from The Pros Closet. The frame has never been built up. The guys at TPC said it is roughly a 2000-2002. I went through about 16 pages of the GF picture thread and could not find pictures of Paragon frames in the same paint scheme or year. Does anyone know rou ... Read More »

Paragon 1.5" tapered steerer

anyone use one yet? I was thinking about making one, and I was somewhat concerned about doing that, but [URL="http://www.paragonmachineworks.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=MS2009"]since Paragon is making one[/URL] it seems more interesting.Read More »

Paragon Rocker drops 135/142 insert exchange?

I have done some googling, but it's still not totally clear to me. Can I build a frame with Paragons Rocker drops with 135mm QR inserts, and then swap the inserts out to use a 142x12mm axle? It would be nice if I could build a 142x12 frame without making new jig parts.Read More »

Paragon 15mm through axle front dropouts

is the nut captured? I like the idea, but having to deal with loose parts while also dealing with a flat is not something I want to subject myself to.Read More »