Trek Mamba 29er Hardtail

3.73/5 (33 Reviews)

29ers are versatile enough to serve XC and trail riders, and their unbeatable efficiency and momentum make them the ultimate singlespeed weapon. Upgrades from Marlin:
  • RockShoxXC32 suspension fork
  • Shimano 9-speed Alivio & Deore drivetrain
  • Bontrager 29-3 tires
  • Shimano hydraulic disc brakes

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Ramon R

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2013

Strengths:    Stability
    Handling
    Brakes
    Weight - Value
    Stand

Weaknesses:    XC32 Rockshox fork
    Tires
    Crank bearing

Bottom Line:
    Bike handles great and you can really throw anything to it and in will take it. I am an aggressive rider and I have not have any issue with the frame or rims.

On the other hand, I blew-out the shock after 300 miles on it (it was fixable), the threads in one of the cylinders stripped away. I changed the tires for better traction (original tires do not work well with Florida's sandy trails). And finally, the crank starts making a rubbing noise when you apply heavy torque while pedaling, and it will not go away until next time you ride - very weird.

Overall, I am very satisfied with my purchase and I will recommend this bike for an intermediate rider, it will fall short for anyone beyond a weekend warrior.

Submitted by Bikeman09 a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2013

Strengths:    This bike stands up to any thing you can throw at it

Weaknesses:    The weakest link on this bicycle is cheap kmc stock chain it broke the first to time i rode it offroad

Bottom Line:
    Overall this bike is wonderful from loose climbs to thick mud to creak crossing this bike handles
    Well in all conditions ovrall this is bike for the money

Favorite Trail:   Quarry ridge fitchburg

Duration Product Used:   4 mnths & counting

Purchased At:   The trek store madis

Similar Products Used:   Thing i changed is instaled shimano spd pedals i also two bontrager bottle cage works highly recomended

Submitted by Tim a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2013

Strengths:    Great handling, well balanced and bike feels very stable and can handle the trails.

Weaknesses:    The Hayes Dyno Sport Disc Brakes

Bottom Line:
    The rear brakes after 32 miles (2 trips) of riding on a glorified XC Trail that involved heavy use of the brakes due to gravity, I ended up "burning them out" (rear) as the LBS put it.

This is an upgrade from an older 26" hardtail with the center pull style (Shimano Deore LX). Never had brake issues even when riding on lift serviced MTB trails with previous bike.

Overall the bike is extremely stable and does handle well which I believe is all due to the frame design of this bike. I've only trail ridden 5 times since purchased. Two trips were more gravity based. The other three were climbing and trail blazing

I'm used to Shimano LX and XT level of equipment and can feel the lack of precision in the Shimano Acera and Deore derailers. I was aware of the components used on this bike or any other at this price point. Overall the bike's components I feel are durable (except for the Hayes brakes).

Overall this is a great bike to hit your local trails with.

Bike Setup:   OEM

Submitted by Merrimar a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2013

Strengths:    Frame, drive train, fork, all mountain

Weaknesses:    Tires, brakes

Bottom Line:
    I upgraded to the mamba from a 2006 Gary Fisher Tarpon 26. My first impression on the mountain had me concerned about the brakes. But by adjusting the lever placement and just getting used to hyd discs over rim brakes, I am very happy. Disc brakes are meant to give you more control, therefore reducing the chance of losing traction. If you adjust for the long lever pull, these brakes are effective. That being said there is no mechanical adjustment for the long lever pull, which IMO on a 1000 dollar bike is ridiculous.
    The tires seems to be meant for more XC rather than all man, the roll fast but leave something to be desired in the loose and mud. I've upgraded the front to a more aggressive tread pattern.
    The rest of the bike is amazing, the rock shock paired with the 29s have really boosted my confidence. The drive train is strong, and the G2 geometry really seems to work for me. I'm 6'2" and 250.
    Not really important to me, but the flat black paint looks good.

Favorite Trail:   Rosaryville MD

Duration Product Used:   1month

Purchased At:   Bike Dr. Waldorf

Submitted by BORODLAK

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2013

Strengths:    good frame, geometry, great fot tall riders, drivetrain and components are good for price

Weaknesses:    hayes dyno brakes-awful brakes, rotors to small, brake power so bad...
    tyes are too soft,

Bottom Line:
    good bike, but change from shimano to hayes were stupit decision by trek.

Submitted by Fernando Banchs a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2013

Strengths:    Nimbleness

Weaknesses:    Brakes

Bottom Line:
    This is my first 29er so I'm not sure that this counts. Compared to my other mountain bikes this thing strears great, awesome I would say. I ride street and dirt bikes so I might be expecting too much from the brakes. Yes I would like something better. To me this bike doesn't feel like its 30 something odd pounds. I feel like any kind of upgrades that will need to be made are inevitable on any bike you buy. The price and the reputation I think is with a lot. I've already put 44 miles and it not even a week old. I haven't ridden in over a decade that's how enjoyable this bike is to me. I think once you ride this bike you'll realize that 1,000 bucks will bring a big smile to your face.

Duration Product Used:   44 miles

Purchased At:   Clearwater Fl Trek d

Submitted by chad schrum

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2013

Strengths:    shock frame

Weaknesses:    factory tires have trouble with it shifting by it self

Bottom Line:
    this my spare bike I I ride cannodale mostly the derailrer is always give me trouble it shifts as I pedaling by its self try an keep the cable clean its a pain when I climb steep hills an pop out into another gear tires suck I wore back one out in less then a month but the frame is the same as the cobiea the fork does pretty good an for price range hydrolic brakes is a plus

Submitted by Scott

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2013

Strengths:    Don't have any for this bike

Weaknesses:    Everything

Bottom Line:
    Bought bike new last fall rode it twice and put away for the winter. Thought about going for a ride inn the spring and back tire was rubbing frame . Took to lbr and found frame was cracked. Trek said water had cracked the frame even though bike was in garage . Trek said it will not cover it under warranty but if I wanted I could spend more money and buy a used frame. No thanks Trek I will stick with Rocky Mountain there frames seem too last

Submitted by T.C. a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2013

Strengths:    Overall I have found this bike really comfortable to ride and responsive to what I want and need. Overal, an adequate bike and rides well on all surfaces.

Weaknesses:    I have found the stock tires to be less than great on loose soil and gravel mixes. The bike really seems to slip like it is going to slide out from under you in both dry and mud. I am definitely going to replace. After two months of use, tires don't seem to have longevity written on them, although they do work well on hard pack/asphalt situations.
    I broke the chain in one month. The coupling links peeled apart like a banana skin. Trek upgraded the chain no questions asked. The local guys like Shimano and this chain is doing well.
    Brakes also seem a little weak on downhills. Most definitely going to replace.

Bottom Line:
    Overall, I have found this to be a good bike. Some of the parts are not really what I had hoped for given the price, but overall I feel that it is a good value. I don't see myself really having to replace a lot of parts immediately and the overall quality seems to be there on all the stock parts even though they may not be all that great long term.
    As I am new to the sport, some of the maintenance instructions that come with the bike are sorely lacking specifics. Most definitely will have to get some additional reading material.

Favorite Trail:   still searching

Duration Product Used:   three months

Purchased At:   Trek Kobe

Bike Setup:   so far, stock, but I see some changed in the future.

Submitted by Rob

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2013

Strengths:    Decent drivetrain as compared to similarly priced competitors.

Weaknesses:    The XC32 Rockshox fork. Area between dropouts on fork measures 98.5mm so a standard 100mm bike mount can't be used without grinding 1.5mm off the mount. I called Rockshox tech support who said the tolerance is 98-102mm. That's bogus. Nobody I've spoken to anywhere has ever experienced this with a fork. I went back to the bike shop and the fork on another mamba was the same way. Tech rep said they can't control the aftermarket bike mount makers like the exactly 100mm mount is their fault, not Rockshox.

Bottom Line:
    If not for fork issue I would give it a higher rating.

Submitted by Luke Smith

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2013

Strengths:    Looks nice.

Weaknesses:    Brakes! I have broke them in as you should. I am not sure if they need bleed off or what? I can grab both front and rear as hard as I can at 25mph and never lock out my rear or front start to pull up my rear. I bought this wanting a wet system and now miss my V-brake and kona I sold to get this. It's been in the shop twice now. I bought it on tue April 9th today is Friday the 12th. First the neck started to flop around. No big deal, they tightened it up and shipped it out the door. Today the front wheel is bending under torque from the brake system that half way works. Taking it in after I write this up!

Bottom Line:
    Not happy with the product I have received! I feel that the shop that I bought it from should have a grasp at how to put a bike together being you have to be a dealer to get one from trek. Even after I get it back and say its good to go I'm selling it on local bike classifieds. I have had many 1000$ plus bikes and never had to bring them in on the first day or twice in three days of ownership! I'm glad I did not buy my wife's bike the same day. We will be getting new bikes as soon as I take a loss on this bike that's seen maybe 20 miles of street riding and 2 trips to the shop.

Submitted by noname87scr a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2013

Strengths:    geometry, front shock for bike price range, hydro brakes

Weaknesses:    tires, saddle

Bottom Line:
    Bought my Mamba in February after doing a lot of research on really nice medium level 29er's. Love everything about it...minus tires. Too narrow and do not grip the best on the trails. Saddle is pretty hard also, looking to upgrade in the near future. Rides amazing on the trails, adjustable front fork goes a long way when riding through different terrain, and lockout feature is great for in town riding.

Bottom line: Bike is awesome for the price, and according to most of the guys at the LBS's it has better components than the 2013 models. May want to invest in some wider tires but that is about the only major complaint I have. Great bike!

Purchased At:   Bike Rack, Lincoln,

Submitted by Colo2012 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2013

Strengths:    Ridgidity of frame
    Geometry-strictly personal
    Suspension
    Rims

Weaknesses:    Tires
    Brakes

Bottom Line:
    Bought this bike for a Moab, UT trip. Glad I did. I did not want an XC due to my everyday riding, cost, and weight. 29" made a huge difference on rocky trails. I will replace rubber this year as the Bontranger rubber is just adequate and wears quickly. Hayes brakes worked well enough but there seems to be noise from the discs. Shop will check them out. I needed to tighten the head stock on the trail as it had a little too much play for my liking. This could have been the retailer prep.
    Overall, I am really happy with my choice and with a couple of tweaks, total satisfaction will be had for a few years to come.

Submitted by Guy a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2013

Strengths:    I'm told if you love your frame, your love your bike. With this in mind I love this bike. Theirs room for upgrades on this bike but for an intermediate level mountain bike everything functioned fine. I plan on keeping the bike components with the exception of breaks until something breaks, then upgrading that component.

Weaknesses:    I did upgrade my breaks to Avid Juicy 7's within the first year of riding. the Hayes breaks have plenty of stopping power while they lasted but I ran across a problem with hydraulic fluid pushing through the inner membrane of the break line causing a loss in stopping power. O'well. Tires don't last long. Neater do pedals.

Bottom Line:
    Overall I would recommend this bike to anyone interested in an intermediate level 29er. I'm 6'3" and ride a 21" frame on mostly xc type trails. Had a blast on this bike last summer and fall and plan on entering a few (amateur) competitive races this spring. Look forward to many rides to come on this bicycle.

Favorite Trail:   Big M

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Submitted by GySgt Kirk

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2013

Strengths:    The bike looks great. I just purchased this two weeks ago to replace my 2007 Diamondback Sorrento. I am 6'3" so the LBS set me up with a 21" frame.

Weaknesses:    The very first trail ride I went on, not even a mile into it, I hit a section of roots while traveling pretty fast. I hit a part that had roots pretty close and I flew over the handle bars. When I got up I realized the high speed Bontrager rim was bent to hell. I had to walk all the way back to my truck and drive to the LBS to get a new rim. After a few rides the brakes are noisy and sound like they are rubbing and the front wheel also has a slight wobble but not to bad it just looks annoying. My front tire also has a slow leak in it so now I need to fix that lol.

Bottom Line:
    Overall it is not to bad but I guess I was expecting to much from this bike.

Airborne Guardian 2.0 vs Trek Mamba

Yep, another "what should I get" thread from a beginner :thumbsup: I'm strongly considering getting into mountain biking and I'm about to bite the bullet and buy my first bike in 13 years. I've done my homework and my options have come down to 2 bikes (maybe 3...): Airborne Guardian 2.0 or the Trek ... Read More »

Keep the Mamba or Spring for a Superfly Al

Current bike is a 2012 Mamba, upgraded the wheels to bontrager rhythm comps and started a tubeless set up this year. My shop is selling a 2013 Trek Superfly Al for $1400. I race and want good results and all that. So I put this to you. Sell my Mamba and get the new bike or keep it? If you s ... Read More »

Trek mamba disappointment!

I went today to finally test-ride a Trek Mamba. The store had just sold their last one, but had a XL Marlin, which has the same geometry. I was not comfortable at all! I am 6'5" and need a XL, but it felt too small. I was crouched over, it was immediately apparent I would have to do a lot of work to ... Read More »