Trek Mamba 29er Hardtail

3.73/5 (37 Reviews)

29ers are versatile enough to serve XC and trail riders, and their unbeatable efficiency and momentum make them the ultimate singlespeed weapon. Upgrades from Marlin:
  • RockShoxXC32 suspension fork
  • Shimano 9-speed Alivio & Deore drivetrain
  • Bontrager 29-3 tires
  • Shimano hydraulic disc brakes

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by ProBiiker a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2014

Strengths:    Very easy to handle, smooth riding, and shocks are fairly decent

Weaknesses:    Brakes & tires definitely, my bike has been to the shop twice in 1 year

Bottom Line:
    All in all it is a good bike, I've done some nasty jumps and trick riding (catwalks, tricks, etc) and it holds up well.

Duration Product Used:   2 summers probably 1500km

Similar Products Used:   To many bikes to name

Bike Setup:   Same stock parts

Submitted by Blaise

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2014

Strengths:    fork, wheels

Weaknesses:    weight, petals, brakes, cranks, drivetrain, tires,

Bottom Line:
    ugh, not much to say. this bike is good for the average person who is mainly on light trails and pavement. the forks are okay. the brakes are okay. everything is okay but nothing pops out in your mind as a great item. if you want to start a project bike then this is a great frame, but everything else is ridiculously heavy and brittle. i broke the petals in the first month (ball bearings exploded) so i got some new ones, the hydraulic brakes are horrible for the first 5 months, the bike rattles so much you need to re tighten all the bolts every time you come to a stop (thats if you can come to a stop) they are so weak. also hydraulic breaks are supposed to be great for all weather. when it rains the breaks lose 70% of their already lackluster stopping power. the fork is decent, if you plan on going off any jumps/drops higher than 12 inches then you will need a stiffer spring which i imagine you can order from rockshox. the whole thing weighs about 40 pounds on a good day. and i have accessories mounted on it so its even worse. i got to choose this bike for my birthday and honestly this is the worst birthday gift i have ever received. i have spent countless hours repairing this bike ( i work at a bike shop and mechanic bikes so its not like i don't know what I'm doing) I wanted a full suspension bike but in the words of the bike seller "you don't need it" ill show him who needs full suspension when i walk in there with a cracked frame and forks split in two. wheres my free 1 year maintenance now huh? its reliable ill give it that, it is constantly there, WAITING FOR ME TO FIX IT. i recently had a run in with a tree, literally. and snapped the rear brake lever. now i know you cant just replace the lever and you have to buy a whole new master cylinder. its a good bike for a kid who is biking to his friends house or to work couple times a week, but if your even thinking about becoming a mountain biker this bike is going to send you in the wrong direction with its weight, squeakiness, lack of stopping power, and over all poor design. i have the gary fisher edition 2013 (for the record) please excuse the spelling mistakes I'm sure i have made, but as long as i got my point through its fine. if you buy this bike, you will regret it.

Submitted by Robert a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2014

Strengths:    Brakes - Control
    Everything not listed in weaknesses

Weaknesses:    Brakes - Stopping power
    Stock pedals
    Tires - F&R -
    The bike has come out from under me a few times while leaning in hard on road rides.
    The rear end always slides around on me while on sand/dirt/mud.
    Depending on the surface the bike can feel uber squirrelly leaving you to constantly calculate body movement/weight distribution to avoid bailing.

Bottom Line:
    Bought this bike in Aug of 2013 for $1099 CND it now has over 900km of mixed trail and road.

Swapped the pedals for eggbeaters during the first week.

Will be getting new tires for it once it crests the year mark due to them being the only real downside on my adventure thus far as noted in the weaknesses.

The Hayes breaks are amazing for control though certainly leave you wanting more stopping power, though it may just be the large amount of lever movement required. It feels like they need the air bled out of them.

I had done an awfully large amount of research regarding 26ers and components and was looking at a specialized crosstrail when the dude at my LBS showed me the mamba. Rode it around the parking lot, slept on it and bought it the next day with very little research into 29ers.
    I would certainly do it again.

Favorite Trail:   "Unnamed - Port Franks"

Duration Product Used:   Often - Only bike

Purchased At:   The Bike Shoppe Sarn

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Everything is stock minus the pedals.

Submitted by Dan a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2014

Strengths:    Big ol' wagon wheels roll over everything, great on hard packed trails, climbs great.

Weaknesses:    A little heavy, original tires too thin, components are a little cheesy.

Bottom Line:
    Great bang for the buck. I have a 26" full suspension Gary Fisher that I normally ride, I bought the Mamba as a spare bike and to ride on the road with my wife (I couldn't bring myself to buy a road bike) and Trek gave me $600 towards a new bike since I broke the swing arm on my old VRX and couldn't get a replacement part. But this season I've been putting the Mamba through the wringer. It's holding up pretty well. It's fast, climbs well and is beefy enough to take a beating. Yeah some of the components are a little cheesy but so far so good. If I continue to ride it regularly I'll probably at least change to a fatter tire and when components start wearing out, upgrade them. All in all it's a pretty fun ride.

Favorite Trail:   White Clay Creek and Middle Run in Newark DE

Duration Product Used:   On and for 2 seasons

Purchased At:   Bicycle Connection B

Similar Products Used:   '09 Gary Fisher Pro Caliber full suspension
    '99 Trek VRX full suspension

Submitted by Ramon R

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2013

Strengths:    Stability
    Handling
    Brakes
    Weight - Value
    Stand

Weaknesses:    XC32 Rockshox fork
    Tires
    Crank bearing

Bottom Line:
    Bike handles great and you can really throw anything to it and in will take it. I am an aggressive rider and I have not have any issue with the frame or rims.

On the other hand, I blew-out the shock after 300 miles on it (it was fixable), the threads in one of the cylinders stripped away. I changed the tires for better traction (original tires do not work well with Florida's sandy trails). And finally, the crank starts making a rubbing noise when you apply heavy torque while pedaling, and it will not go away until next time you ride - very weird.

Overall, I am very satisfied with my purchase and I will recommend this bike for an intermediate rider, it will fall short for anyone beyond a weekend warrior.

Submitted by Bikeman09 a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2013

Strengths:    This bike stands up to any thing you can throw at it

Weaknesses:    The weakest link on this bicycle is cheap kmc stock chain it broke the first to time i rode it offroad

Bottom Line:
    Overall this bike is wonderful from loose climbs to thick mud to creak crossing this bike handles
    Well in all conditions ovrall this is bike for the money

Favorite Trail:   Quarry ridge fitchburg

Duration Product Used:   4 mnths & counting

Purchased At:   The trek store madis

Similar Products Used:   Thing i changed is instaled shimano spd pedals i also two bontrager bottle cage works highly recomended

Submitted by Tim a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2013

Strengths:    Great handling, well balanced and bike feels very stable and can handle the trails.

Weaknesses:    The Hayes Dyno Sport Disc Brakes

Bottom Line:
    The rear brakes after 32 miles (2 trips) of riding on a glorified XC Trail that involved heavy use of the brakes due to gravity, I ended up "burning them out" (rear) as the LBS put it.

This is an upgrade from an older 26" hardtail with the center pull style (Shimano Deore LX). Never had brake issues even when riding on lift serviced MTB trails with previous bike.

Overall the bike is extremely stable and does handle well which I believe is all due to the frame design of this bike. I've only trail ridden 5 times since purchased. Two trips were more gravity based. The other three were climbing and trail blazing

I'm used to Shimano LX and XT level of equipment and can feel the lack of precision in the Shimano Acera and Deore derailers. I was aware of the components used on this bike or any other at this price point. Overall the bike's components I feel are durable (except for the Hayes brakes).

Overall this is a great bike to hit your local trails with.

Bike Setup:   OEM

Submitted by Merrimar a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2013

Strengths:    Frame, drive train, fork, all mountain

Weaknesses:    Tires, brakes

Bottom Line:
    I upgraded to the mamba from a 2006 Gary Fisher Tarpon 26. My first impression on the mountain had me concerned about the brakes. But by adjusting the lever placement and just getting used to hyd discs over rim brakes, I am very happy. Disc brakes are meant to give you more control, therefore reducing the chance of losing traction. If you adjust for the long lever pull, these brakes are effective. That being said there is no mechanical adjustment for the long lever pull, which IMO on a 1000 dollar bike is ridiculous.
    The tires seems to be meant for more XC rather than all man, the roll fast but leave something to be desired in the loose and mud. I've upgraded the front to a more aggressive tread pattern.
    The rest of the bike is amazing, the rock shock paired with the 29s have really boosted my confidence. The drive train is strong, and the G2 geometry really seems to work for me. I'm 6'2" and 250.
    Not really important to me, but the flat black paint looks good.

Favorite Trail:   Rosaryville MD

Duration Product Used:   1month

Purchased At:   Bike Dr. Waldorf

Submitted by BORODLAK

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2013

Strengths:    good frame, geometry, great fot tall riders, drivetrain and components are good for price

Weaknesses:    hayes dyno brakes-awful brakes, rotors to small, brake power so bad...
    tyes are too soft,

Bottom Line:
    good bike, but change from shimano to hayes were stupit decision by trek.

Submitted by Fernando Banchs a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2013

Strengths:    Nimbleness

Weaknesses:    Brakes

Bottom Line:
    This is my first 29er so I'm not sure that this counts. Compared to my other mountain bikes this thing strears great, awesome I would say. I ride street and dirt bikes so I might be expecting too much from the brakes. Yes I would like something better. To me this bike doesn't feel like its 30 something odd pounds. I feel like any kind of upgrades that will need to be made are inevitable on any bike you buy. The price and the reputation I think is with a lot. I've already put 44 miles and it not even a week old. I haven't ridden in over a decade that's how enjoyable this bike is to me. I think once you ride this bike you'll realize that 1,000 bucks will bring a big smile to your face.

Duration Product Used:   44 miles

Purchased At:   Clearwater Fl Trek d

Submitted by chad schrum

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2013

Strengths:    shock frame

Weaknesses:    factory tires have trouble with it shifting by it self

Bottom Line:
    this my spare bike I I ride cannodale mostly the derailrer is always give me trouble it shifts as I pedaling by its self try an keep the cable clean its a pain when I climb steep hills an pop out into another gear tires suck I wore back one out in less then a month but the frame is the same as the cobiea the fork does pretty good an for price range hydrolic brakes is a plus

Submitted by Scott

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2013

Strengths:    Don't have any for this bike

Weaknesses:    Everything

Bottom Line:
    Bought bike new last fall rode it twice and put away for the winter. Thought about going for a ride inn the spring and back tire was rubbing frame . Took to lbr and found frame was cracked. Trek said water had cracked the frame even though bike was in garage . Trek said it will not cover it under warranty but if I wanted I could spend more money and buy a used frame. No thanks Trek I will stick with Rocky Mountain there frames seem too last

Submitted by T.C. a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2013

Strengths:    Overall I have found this bike really comfortable to ride and responsive to what I want and need. Overal, an adequate bike and rides well on all surfaces.

Weaknesses:    I have found the stock tires to be less than great on loose soil and gravel mixes. The bike really seems to slip like it is going to slide out from under you in both dry and mud. I am definitely going to replace. After two months of use, tires don't seem to have longevity written on them, although they do work well on hard pack/asphalt situations.
    I broke the chain in one month. The coupling links peeled apart like a banana skin. Trek upgraded the chain no questions asked. The local guys like Shimano and this chain is doing well.
    Brakes also seem a little weak on downhills. Most definitely going to replace.

Bottom Line:
    Overall, I have found this to be a good bike. Some of the parts are not really what I had hoped for given the price, but overall I feel that it is a good value. I don't see myself really having to replace a lot of parts immediately and the overall quality seems to be there on all the stock parts even though they may not be all that great long term.
    As I am new to the sport, some of the maintenance instructions that come with the bike are sorely lacking specifics. Most definitely will have to get some additional reading material.

Favorite Trail:   still searching

Duration Product Used:   three months

Purchased At:   Trek Kobe

Bike Setup:   so far, stock, but I see some changed in the future.

Submitted by Rob

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2013

Strengths:    Decent drivetrain as compared to similarly priced competitors.

Weaknesses:    The XC32 Rockshox fork. Area between dropouts on fork measures 98.5mm so a standard 100mm bike mount can't be used without grinding 1.5mm off the mount. I called Rockshox tech support who said the tolerance is 98-102mm. That's bogus. Nobody I've spoken to anywhere has ever experienced this with a fork. I went back to the bike shop and the fork on another mamba was the same way. Tech rep said they can't control the aftermarket bike mount makers like the exactly 100mm mount is their fault, not Rockshox.

Bottom Line:
    If not for fork issue I would give it a higher rating.

Submitted by Luke Smith

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2013

Strengths:    Looks nice.

Weaknesses:    Brakes! I have broke them in as you should. I am not sure if they need bleed off or what? I can grab both front and rear as hard as I can at 25mph and never lock out my rear or front start to pull up my rear. I bought this wanting a wet system and now miss my V-brake and kona I sold to get this. It's been in the shop twice now. I bought it on tue April 9th today is Friday the 12th. First the neck started to flop around. No big deal, they tightened it up and shipped it out the door. Today the front wheel is bending under torque from the brake system that half way works. Taking it in after I write this up!

Bottom Line:
    Not happy with the product I have received! I feel that the shop that I bought it from should have a grasp at how to put a bike together being you have to be a dealer to get one from trek. Even after I get it back and say its good to go I'm selling it on local bike classifieds. I have had many 1000$ plus bikes and never had to bring them in on the first day or twice in three days of ownership! I'm glad I did not buy my wife's bike the same day. We will be getting new bikes as soon as I take a loss on this bike that's seen maybe 20 miles of street riding and 2 trips to the shop.

Airborne Guardian 2.0 vs Trek Mamba

Yep, another "what should I get" thread from a beginner :thumbsup: I'm strongly considering getting into mountain biking and I'm about to bite the bullet and buy my first bike in 13 years. I've done my homework and my options have come down to 2 bikes (maybe 3...): Airborne Guardian 2.0 or the Trek ... Read More »

Keep the Mamba or Spring for a Superfly Al

Current bike is a 2012 Mamba, upgraded the wheels to bontrager rhythm comps and started a tubeless set up this year. My shop is selling a 2013 Trek Superfly Al for $1400. I race and want good results and all that. So I put this to you. Sell my Mamba and get the new bike or keep it? If you s ... Read More »

Trek mamba disappointment!

I went today to finally test-ride a Trek Mamba. The store had just sold their last one, but had a XL Marlin, which has the same geometry. I was not comfortable at all! I am 6'5" and need a XL, but it felt too small. I was crouched over, it was immediately apparent I would have to do a lot of work to ... Read More »