Trek 69er 29er Hardtail

• Headset: Cane Creek S-3
  • Rims: Bontrager Race Lite Single Speed

Submitted by felix

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2014

Bottom Line:
Hi guys!

I'm writing here to ask your opinions! I have the chance to purchase a used Trek 69er SS in mint condition, for the price of €650. Could you please tell me whether this would be a good deal?

Cheers!

Submitted by Dad a Racer

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2013

Strengths:    Geometry,
concept,
Frame weight

frame

Weaknesses:    Stop making them
Almost hard to find

Bottom Line:
By far this is one of the baddest bikes ever created. Travis brown should be stamped mountain bike phenom. I train for racing with a custom geared rig on hills and gut busting decent e.g gutter holes and what not. This bike handles like a mountain goat, no fear. I would strongly suggest if anyone can get one, GET ONE !!!!

Favorite Trail:   Dyer Single Track

Duration Product Used:   month

Purchased At:   custom

Submitted by matt wiessler

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2013

Strengths:    This rig is made for endurance racing, I have never wanted another mtb since. In fact, I am thinking of having frames made to this spec, as these machines are addictive.

Weaknesses:    overcoming the prejudice from the rest of the mtg fraternity. It is so good that trek had to stop making it.

Bottom Line:
If you want one, get in touch with me.

Submitted by pressendye

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2012

Strengths:    Fun, fast, full of character.

Weaknesses:    THE PHANTOM CREAK. And for me the mavericks tracked felt great but suffered from torsional flex.

Bottom Line:
So good I've owned it twice. This time I've got it set up as a fully rigid winter bike. It still feels really responsive and "moto". Both of my 69ers have had the dreaded dropout creak- easily solved though (by a combination of filing and bolt up qr on the rear).

Apart from that, for me it is the ultimate SS, designed for that purpose from the ground up. No compromise.

Submitted by KGP a Weekend Warrior from Grand Rapids, MI USA

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2012

Strengths:    Bike is super stiff. Very fast. I wasnt sure about the 69er idea until I actually rode the bike. It is by far my favorite set up. The drop outs are the best designed I have seen. I cant beleive more companies dont make drop outs like this. EBB I dont like. I hate BB that are noisy and need mantinence constantly.

Weaknesses:    I bought this bike with alot of upgrades and custom parts. Not too much I can say bad about it. It will rattle you pretty good on tough terrain, but that is expected.

Bottom Line:
Bottom line this bike is fast and fun. I have rode newer bikes, but none compare to the ride and geometry of this ride. I am a extremely happy purchaser. I kind of like how they dont produce this bike or anything similar (except carver). It is a true custom masterpiece and a joy to ride. Rips up the trails.

Similar Products Used:   SS fisher and stumpjumper

Bike Setup:   FOX 32 RL, all tubless, carbon bars, crank and post. Candy peddals. WTB titanium saddle, swiss 340 hubs, elixer r brakes.

Submitted by Rick a Weekend Warrior from rickrohwer@comcast.net

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2011

Strengths:    Stiff frame, supple fork, big wheel keeps on rollin

Weaknesses:    Maverick fork gaurds

Bottom Line:
get one while you can.

Favorite Trail:   rickrohwer@comcast.net

Purchased At:   rickrohwer@comcast.n

Similar Products Used:   Klein Mantra
Redline Monocog

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Bill a Cross Country Rider from Bear Delaware,USA

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2010

Strengths:    Mavick Fork, $1000 fork on a single speed? Plush beyond Plush with adjustments at your finger tips. Best fork I've ever been on.

Weaknesses:    Stock seat

Bottom Line:
This is the bike I want to ride all the time. Requires almost no maintance. Turns very quick and climbs like a Billy goat.I love the fork and the quiet ride(no chain slap or gear shifting). Fork lock out and rebound damping are very easy to reach on top of right side triple clamp and can be adjusted as you ride.Years ago dirt bikes went to inverted forks because they are stronger and less flexable. Trek used Bontrager Race Lite parts through out the bike. Juicy7 brakes are excellent, can do stoppies! Everyone wants to check out the bike on the trail. If your looking at single speeds I recomend the 69r. No longer made so find a leftover or get a used one. I highly recomend it!

Favorite Trail:   Middle Run Skills Trail

Purchased At:   From a Friend

Similar Products Used:   Six Mt. bikes in garage all full supension

Bike Setup:   Stock with race lite parts and tubless wheels. Changed to a softer seat.

Submitted by b.catton a Racer from Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2010

Strengths:    Single speed, ride, geometry, wheel sizes, lock in fork

Weaknesses:    to much travel for most trails. No local dealers (good and bad), cranks.

Bottom Line:
Get it. Most fun bike I have ever rode & raced. It has a lot more laid back feel but on a 11k loop race I did a lap on my litespeed pisgah (full xtr geared) and my trek 69er and lost less than a minute. That was 4 laps later in the race to! It climbs and accelerates better than a twenty niner (and for some reason better than some 26s) the 29 front wheel allows me to pretty much roll over anything especially with the forks travel. Best 24h race bike I have ever raced on. This years comes with a better fork, but really, it just looks so cool with the maverick on it, so many odd looks when I show up to a XC event on a full crown fork but when I finish many ask about it.

Favorite Trail:   anything with dirt

Purchased At:   craigs list

Similar Products Used:   Marin Indian fire trail, Rockey Mountatin stratos, Lightspeed pisgah, & misfit bikes

Bike Setup:   pretty much bone stock, new rear tire for better cornering, rolling and traction. Swapped out old cranks for shimano XT for stiffness.

Submitted by Frankeeboy a Cross Country Rider from Frankfurt/Germany

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2010

Strengths:    Great appearance. Exiting parts (crankset, fork, wheels)outstanding concept. Geometry like endure but is more like a comfortable xc bike. The concept is very special and the bike has the potential to be a classic bike specially why it disappears from the market.

Weaknesses:    SS concept is not useful for all trails. Biggest weakness is fast riding on straight line.

Bottom Line:
Since have a year I am convinve from the 29ers. The Bikes running fast and smooth and are sometimes alternatives for fullys. The 69er keeps the fast excelleration from the 26ers and so it's the best from both worlds. SS is more ore less something funny which could be used beside the geared bikes. But biking is more relaxt and focused on the pedaling speed. Good to have both.

Favorite Trail:   Lone Pine Trial (Odenwald)

Similar Products Used:   Spec. Rockhopper 29er, Spec. Stumpjumper 29er, Spec. Langster Steel (Singelspeed).

Bike Setup:   Stock, 17,5" frame

Submitted by EBasil a Cross Country Rider from Hobbit Trails, California

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2010

Strengths:    --great geometry and design: tracks, climbs and descends really well! A great trailbike SS and with a fork that descends really well.
--even OEM, nice and light.
--great fork: "custom" Travis Brown edition includes 100mm limiter, Independent Floating Piston upgrade and newer style Mav seals. It's plush, stable and easy to work on/tune.
--Great frame: fine construction, beautiful seatstays, killer color, light, durable. Room for two bottles. Plenty of clearance for large tires! Sliding dropouts are beefy, super-well designed and make adjustments easy.
--Great wheelset: front 29" wheel uses rebadged Mav hub, Bontrager tubeless compatible rims and DT spokes. Great build and light. Rear uses a Bontrager-labeled DT 240s that's easy to upgrade to the 36t pawl ring, also a nice light, duro wheel. Simple upgrade to tubeless!
--Great brakes: Juicy 7's are easy to dial in, reasonably light and powerful.

Weaknesses:    --oem saddle looks cool but is a torture device.
--oem cranks are 175mm only, use Isis...not most long-lasting option
--Trek graphics are painted into the otherwise killer rootbeer coating. Too bad, can't get the big white branding off there!
--Mav fork: you get a very active fork and so prepare to use the travel-reducer to eliminate massive plushnicity/bob as you climb. Good news is, the reducer works great and is easy to reach.

Bottom Line:
No longer produced.
Great deal if you can find them: Trek's top-quality aluminum frame materials in a highly-shaped and beautifully made build, with killer components and with plenty of room to personalize it into a race bike or killer trail rig. Fast acceleration, great braking, unique look.

Favorite Trail:   Tunnel 9

Purchased At:   Trek Store

Bike Setup:   variations: King headset, Truvativ 1.1, 180mm cranks, King Ti 17t cog, Easton EC91 post, WTB SST saddle, Easton XC70 riser bar, Oury lock-ons, Speedplay Frogs, WTB WW 2.55lt tires f/r, fork revalved and damped in garage for heavier rider, Alligator Windcutter/Serrated rotors, 180/160 w/ Avid adaptor for front.

Submitted by dbcdfw a Cross Country Rider from Plano Tx

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2009

Strengths:    Fast, nimble, responsive

Bottom Line:
Fantastic bike. Read tons of comments, anyone that has ridden this bike know it is light and agile. Been riding Fisher Rig for 3 years, love Single Speeds makes riding fun again but the 69er is faster out of the pocket, climbs like a rocket. Not a Trek fan but this bike has it all. Great if it is your first Single Speed even better if you are a 29er fan and looking for something a bit faster. Get on one before you believe all the forums boards, I have to believe they just cant write the check.

Favorite Trail:   Boulder

Purchased At:   Richardson Bikemart

Similar Products Used:   G. Fisher Rig

Bike Setup:   Candy peddles

Submitted by zyzbot a Cross Country Rider from Tennessee

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2009

Strengths:    It did climb pretty well. I was afraid that the front wheel might get light during climbs but that never happened.

Weaknesses:    The handling felt sluggish and odd as compared to the 29ers I demoed on the same day. I rode this bike right after testing a GF Superfly and a GF HiFi 29er and this bike felt very slow by comparison. I mean really slow acceleration. I know that quicker acceleration is one of the benefits touted for 69ers but I did not feel that at all.

Bottom Line:
Definitely isn't for me.

Favorite Trail:   Raccoon Mountain

Similar Products Used:   None. First time on a 69er.

Bike Setup:   Stock demo bike

Submitted by Jason Kayzar a Cross Country Rider from Milwaukee, WI USA

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2009

Strengths:    the RIDE! plush fork, awesome geometry, pretty much ride ready out of the box. Total head-turner everywhere I go.

Weaknesses:    4 foot wide bars, heavy, expensive. So "custom" that it's hard to upgrade (wheelset, stem, etc.). 1 cage mount set so high up on the downtube that it's hard to get a bottle out.

Bottom Line:
I put my Fisher in mothballs, this is the only mountain bike I ride now. Flows like water on singletrack - racing it in the WORS series in 2009. Components are pretty weighty for a singlespeed that costs this much. Upgrading wheels/seat/post and that should cut out some serious wieght.

Favorite Trail:   Southern Kettles

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Wheel and Sprocket

Similar Products Used:   First single speed - ridden MTB's for 20+ years.

Bike Setup:   SPDs, cut down stock bars, will be replacing heavy stock parts with much lighter stuff this year.

Submitted by direneed a Racer from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2009

Strengths:    Nice kit with choice wheels and fork. The Race X Lite Wheels are way underrated IMO and a killer value. Light and strong. Overall bike is light.

Weaknesses:    tires maybe, Juicy 7s are mediocre but acceptable, hard for me to find any other weakness

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike kind of on a whim last year and posted a review shortly after. This bike turned me into a dedicated XC singlespeed racer. I never had any aspirations of racing before, but when I moved to this bike from a FS geared bike, it made me remember how simple riding can be and significantly improved my skills. I've raced it about 7-8 times and still love the bike. I actually had the fork blow out during a race and needed a fork to race the following weekend. There was no way to get the Maverick rebuilt in time, but instead of getting a new Fox F29 (and new wheel and stem), I found another 69er and since it was an '07 model got to deal a little on it. So now I have 2 of them and a full extra King/Stan's wheelset, so it will take some serious mechanical problems to keep me from racing on any given weekend. I think for the price it's a huge value. The wheels are really strong, never had to have them trued in a yr of riding and probably over 2000 miles. Just wanted to update my previous review and say that I am still enamored with this bike. You can find these used on Ebay and CL and usually for a killer price.

Favorite Trail:   BCGB

Purchased At:   lbs

Bike Setup:   Carbon flat bars, King hubs on Stan's Flow rims, some Hope X2s on the way, Bontrager carbon post. Carbon flat bars. Have the race bike weighing in around 23 lbs, probably could drop some more with lighter wheels. Have ENOs and a Ti BB coming soon, too.

Submitted by Tom the bomb a Weekend Warrior from Alta loma, ca.

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2009

Strengths:    Super stiff. Once made tubeless, super grippy , never dropped a chain. feels like I will never go otbs. Great do it all ride can stand and climb with confidence.

Weaknesses:    Bont tires are fragile but very light and hook up well. About 3 lbs heavier than I would like. Just noticed a crack fork seal and a little leakage. A bit spendy for a ss. But it looks like a mil bucks. 4 chillis

Bottom Line:
This bike has no flex anywhere!!!! I had to put a sus seatpost on it to save my back. I love to stand and climb and this bike loves to go. Going down is very confidence inspiring, like the guys at incycle said its a ss dh rig! Handles the tricky stuff really well. Just need the legs to go with the rig.

Favorite Trail:   Mt. Lowe

Purchased At:   incycle

Similar Products Used:   1st single speed . This bike looked so good I had to buy it.

Bike Setup:   Stock purchase w wtb seat and susp seatpost.

Anyone ever ride a 69er?

Along the path of attempting to convert my old steel 26 into a 700c, I have been riding the old bike with a road wheel from an old road bike in it up front, and a 85lb pressure slick on the old 26 inch rear. No front brake yet as I don't have an adapter yet. Will probably just order the xtracycle ... Read More »

69er

Hello first post here. I have a TREK 69er single speed 19.5" root beer color. Got it in 09, ridden less than 10x, put in storage since 2010. Got it out, chain has rust on it and all else is good. Everything works. Any idea what this bike is worth now days? Might be looking to sell. Thanks in ... Read More »

convert to SS 69er?

So I have a '06 Jamis Exile XC, 100mm X Fusion fork, 3 x 7, 26" wheel, 21" frame Dawes deadeye SS 29er, fully rigid, 20" frame, p35 wheels (QR axles), surly tensioners The deadeye fits me better and I enjoy riding it a ton but.... the rear slot dropouts do not fit my new hubs perfectly for some ... Read More »

69er experiment - any good?

Today I've put a 26 inch wheel on my rigid SS just to taste a 69. The first trial for the new configuration was 40km run across the city - 80% of tarmac, 15% of ice and 5% of frozen soil/gravel. Long tarmac runs, short accelerations and brakings, sharp corners, high-speed wide corners, some concrete ... Read More »

Help needed! Servicing my Trek 69er DUC

I recently bought a used Trek 69er with the DUC32 fork. Now I want to service the DUC fork and did some research on the internet. I found the service manual on the Maverick site, however I also found a pdf for servicing the Travis Brown 69er duc fork. These documents differ from each other. - docum ... Read More »