Tomac Flint 29 29er Hardtail

The Flint 29er offers unsurpassed performance, excellent value and features that offer unlimited versatility. Hand crafted out of aircraft grade AN6 aluminum, the Flint features custom butted top, down and seat tubes, triple water bottles mounts, a Bushnell eccentric for SS or gearing and a low weight of 3.4 pounds for a large size frame.

• Lightweight AN6 aluminum
  • Designed for use with 80 or 100mm travel fork
  • 3.4 pound frame weight (only 29er lighter is carbon)
  • Standard head tube uses normal headsets
  • Up to 2.55 tire clearance

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by TommyTuite a Racer from Portland, OR. USA

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2010

Strengths:    Versatile, light, comfortable. Bushnell eccentric is something I never knew I was missing. Third water bottle under down tube is ideal for frame packs or adventure rides or races.
    *Noteworthy Non-product strength: Customer service. Call, email or write the great folks at Tomac. They will let you into a the world beyond magazine reviews, internet searches and blogs. They support others who have nothing more than the simple desire to get out on a bike.

Bottom Line:
    This bike has answers. I tinker. I ride. I race.
    My Flint would be a great lightweight xc racer, but I'm using it for all terrain. It's perfect for me.

Favorite Trail:   Gread Divide

Purchased At:   Interweb

Similar Products Used:   Lately: Tomac Cortez, Redline 29er, Surly Pugsley

Bike Setup:   Single speed. Small Block Eight Kendas. Salsa Enabler fork. Surly Larry front wheel waiting snow. Dingle front, DOS freewheel rear. Custom frame pack. Alfine 11 when released here in the states.

Submitted by mike4WPW a Racer from Morrison, CO. USA

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2010

Strengths:    This is a flat out racing machine. The bike climbs like a billy goat. It is very fast out of the saddle and hammering up steep technical stuff. It also handles very well at high speed on single track. The geometry is spot on. There is no floating or skating of the front wheel while climbing in the saddle, and no rear tire slip while out of the saddle. Ripping through single track the bike is very nimble, and steady. The aluminum frame is so forgiving, it is a perfect bike for the ultra endurance racer. Racing it in Colorado, the frame doesn't beat you up at all. And it really looks hot.

Weaknesses:    I really cant think of one. It's kinda petty, but the head tube badge looks like it might fall off. So if that's all I can think of, Tomac has a winner with this one.

Bottom Line:
    This bike is a super fast racing machine with a very well thought out geometry. The rear stays are beautifully designed to allow massive tires, and perfect curves that make the ride very forgiving. It is full of gussets, so you know it's strong. It's hard to believe an aluminum frame can ride so well. If your looking for a XC or ultra endurance racer, you will be happy with this bike. The Sram XX components are the best out. Super light, very crisp shifting, both front and rear. The crankset is beautiful, as well as the brakes. I am very happy with this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Winter Park Resort

Purchased At:   Tomac

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Tallboy. I have to admit, the Flint 29er was my second choice for a race bike this year. Now that I have raced it twice, I couldn't be happier. It it so much lighter and faster, and I don't miss the suspension at all.

Bike Setup:   Weight: 25lbs
    Pedals: XTR
    Tires: Kenda Smallblock, tubed

Submitted by Fast Ltd76 a Racer from Colorado Springs, Colorado

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2010

Strengths:    The Price is a huge plus, it Comes with Bushnell Eccentric BB - can run geared or SS, it's the Lightest Non Carbon 29er on the Market, Climbs like a goat and feels very stable going down as well, 3 water bottle cages for those epic days

Weaknesses:    I havent found one

Bottom Line:
    Being 6'1" and 190 ish lbs the Geometry fits me perfectly and the added bonus of being super light has enabled me to climb faster than ever before. I was initially a little worried about switching over to a hard tail because I have never been with out rear suspension but There's not much more i can say - it fits me well, rolls really fast and handles like a dream.

Favorite Trail:   Anything around Crested Butte and Gunnison

Purchased At:   Through Tomac.com

Similar Products Used:   never owned but have ridden/demo Fisher, Cannondale and Santa Cruz 29'ers

Bike Setup:   Complete Bike Build from Tomac - check out 2010 specs

2012 Tomac Flint 29

I'm still looking for a frame for my 29er and came across the new Flint 29er. Any one have one? What do you think of it? I like that they did a normal BB no press fit 30 or 92. And a tapered Steer-tubeRead More »

Tomac Flint 29

I was searching out options that were capable of running SS or geared, and came across this frame. Does anyone have any experience (outside of the 3 reviews) with the frame and maybe what it compares to and such? The frame is rated at about 3.5lb AN6 (assuming that 6061 T6 Aluminum) and can be ... Read More »

Tomac Flint 29 vs. Niner E.M.D.

Trying to plan out my ride/ race rig for next year and considering two frames that fit my budget: Tomac Flint 29 or Niner E.M.D. Both have similar geometry with the Tomac at 71.5 HT angle and a slighty shorter wheelbase compare to the Niner's 72 HT angle. I know the Tomac has an EBB, not ... Read More »