Surly Krampus 29er Hardtail

MSRP : $1950.00

Yet another so-called "platform"? Yikes. But wait! There's a reason: 29+ equals fun. Surly's new Krampus frame is built specifically for 29x3" tires on 50mm rims. 29+ offers fast rolling inertia with traction to spare, and even some float on loose terrain. 29+ isn't just a big wheeled version of a fat bike, it's the logically progression of a 29". Rip trails or ride where there are no trails. Do it all with a shit-eating grin. Now, more than ever, is the best time to be Surly.

Submitted by krash670 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2015

Strengths:    Big tires, rolls over everything with ease, tracks like a beast, surprisingly nimble, super wide handlebar (780mm).

Weaknesses:    34 lbs stock, super wide handlebars (780mm), price ($1,900.00).

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike about five days ago, and have ridden it on four different trails in that time. I've tried to put it through the paces as far as terrain. I've been on hard packed dirt, red clay, sand, water crossings, loose dirt, pine straw, rock gardens, mud, and gravel. This bike has handled all without any issue. I was surprised at just how big those 29x3 tires really were, and thought it might be a bit sluggish in its handling. I was wrong. Even at a whopping 34 lbs. it is quite nimble. Just point the front tire in the direction you want to go, and there you will go.

The two downsides I've listed really aren't that big of a deal to me. The first is the weight. This bike as is stock weighs in at 34 lbs. I'm not a weight weenie, and I really don't care. However, for some of you this may be an issue. The way I see it though is this, if you are overly conscious about weight, then you're probably not looking to get a Karmpus anyway. If you want a super light hardtail, or full-suspension rig, then get one. If you want a bike that is just fun to ride, look no further. Next, the handlebars. I love wide bars. My other bikes all have wide (750mm) bars. I didn't think 780mm would be that big of a difference. I was wrong. They're great, but you definitely need to slow it WAY down when trying to split the uprights of two trees on the trail. I found out the hard way that at that width they will not make it through as easily as my 750's. I'm still in debate as to whether or not I want to down size to a 750 riser bar, or possibly go with a 780 riser. Despite my rather abrupt tree counseling sessions, I really do like those wide bars. Finally, the price. Well, I'm just cheap, and wish it didn't cost so much, but I love the bike, and I'd pay it again.

In conclusion, this is my third Surly, and I love it. I own a Karate Monkey SS, a Cross-Check, and now the Krampus. I bought this because I wanted a bigger tire, but didn't want (or need) a full fledged fat tire rig. I wanted something I can ride singletrack with, do bikepacking, bike camping, and gravel road rides on. I love my KM and CC, but I was really looking for something I could use for all of the types of riding I do, and the Krampus seemed to fit the bill the best. The Knard tires seem to be very good. They had good grip on all the terrain I've ridden so far. The rolling resistance is minimal, and they ride smoothly. I'm debating whether or not I will sell my other two bikes now. If I didn't had a company car for work, I'd be more inclined to keep the Cross-Check as a daily commuter, and at 43, my knees just aren't what they use to be. The Karate Monkey is a blast to ride, but after each ride my knees hurt. Having gears really does alleviate the pain, and I can always make the Krampus a SS if I want to later.

Favorite Trail:   Chicopee Woods

Duration Product Used:   One week.

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   Apalachee Cycle

Similar Products Used:   It's in a field all by it's lonesome.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for the Thomson Elite setback seatpost, Ergon GP01 grips, Shimano XT MTB pedals.

Submitted by Jordicarmel

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2014

Strengths:    Most fun bike I have ever owned there are no weak points

Bottom Line:
I am a USA top ranked or should I say was a top ranked motorcycle enduro rider and a pretty good motorcycle observed trials rider and now a pretty good bicycle off road rock rider and until meeting my new lover the Surly Krampus I was doing a lot of yawning on this bicycle thing. My Moonlander and Mukluk with studded tires and riding both on boiler plate ice was beginning to turn me on a bit then bought a Stumpjumper FSR and back to yawns...and then comes along the KRAMPUS now we were talking with smiles galore I put on a thudbuster dropped the tire pressure to 9.5 lbs and digging it like a MONTESA or Gas Gas or Beta motorcycle trials bike. But I wanted more perfection so I contacted the experts at bikeman dot com and they did me perfect with a Rock Shox Bluto and the rest is history I added Only 1.2lbs and with handlebar lockout feature I got the coolest pimped out woods ride in America ....I can smoke rock gardens.... Jump logs and by dropping down to 32 teeth on the chainring RaceFace brand can smoke any uphill in America and ride any trail in the good ol' USA with the best mountain bike made be it 2k or 12k anytime anyplace anywhere and will come out of the woods with a mouth larger smile on my face then the rest of the guys in the woods for sure. Funny when I ride at places like Alligrippis and smoke by guys in fancy spandex on the up hills or down hills that are a quarter my age . The biggest complaint I have is when people line up on route 80 with my car when I am driving 65 mph so they can stare at the coolest bike ever made

Submitted by Jason a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2013

Strengths:    29er matched with 3" wide tires can't be beat with roll over and traction
Steel frame makes an awesome ride
Shimano 1X drivetrain
Simplicity

Weaknesses:    It's a heavy machine but who cares

Bottom Line:
One word comes to mind when throwing a leg over this monster FUN!! It's a over sized BMX bike.It changed my outlook on rigid bikes coming from a full squish 29er history I never thought they could be fun. It's a truly impressive ride, if you(everyone) have a chance to ride one DO IT!!!

Favorite Trail:   Lippman Park