Spot Rocker SS 29er Hardtail

4.83/5 (6 Reviews)

“Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer.” Or just leave them all in the dust on the Rocker SS Steel. From the first pedal stroke, you’ll realize it loves riding out front just as much as you do. With the Gates Carbon Drive Belt system and geometry that strikes a perfect balance between stability, agility and comfort, this 29er leads the pack the way a good alpha bike should. Spot has rethought the way a vertical slider-style dropout should come together (literally). Not only does it allow both belt-driven and chain-driven single-speed configurations, it also gives you the option to add a derailleur and "gear up." The unique compact system also gives you the ability to remove and replace the rear wheel without having to adjust belt tension. Add a redesigned super-strong frame connection to the mix and the Spot rear dropout system is the strongest, safest, least fussy and most versatile you'll find anywhere.

Submitted by Gary Robinson

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2013

Strengths:    In a word "Awsome"
Ride
Handling
Climbing
Maintenance/Upkeep

Weaknesses:    Weight
Components

Bottom Line:
I am a 50 yr old chiropractor, (not that that matters), I typically ride 3-4x a week mixed mountain and road; my other bikes are Road-colnago XR-1 Mountain- Ellsworth Epiphany and an old school Ventana Marble Peak. I bought the Spot on a whim last year and didn't even ride it for 2 months because I wasn't sure I'd done the right thing. After one ride everything changed. In the past year my Ellsworth has collected dust and my Ventana rusk. I still ride the Colnago but only when a mountain bike ride is impractical. I recently rode with a friend who is an avid ss rider and is on a 22 lb 26 incher. He is an avid rider and I thought he could give me a few pointers about ss riding. He did...but is was via email a day later as he couldn't stay with me up or down the hills. As for the wear and tear on the body, 1000 miles later and no issues. Except...anxiety, in the form of when can I get back out there again!

Submitted by Bruno Lutz a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2012

Strengths:    Handling, geometry, ride quality

Weaknesses:    Expensive

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike to complement my 6" travel trail bike (Specialized Enduro). I prefer technical rocky trails which the Enduro excels at but I find myelf more often riding smooth flowy single track since Green Mountain is out my back door and most of my friends prefer riding trails like Centennial Cone and Buffalo Creek. The Enduro is overkill for that type of riding. The Rocker makes these trail much more fun and entertaining. The 29" wheels smooth out the trail without needing 6" of travel. The geometry, 29" wheels and nice steel frame carve corners and flow much better than the Enduro. And without any tehcnical rock gardens or drop offs, I can decend as fast as I can on my Enduro. The single speed makes these trail more challenging and will make me a stronger rider when I get back on my Enduro for longer epic rides. The nice belt drive further simplifies the ride (quiet and no maintenance). I am very impressed at how nicely this bike rides and does everything well... climbing, carving and decending.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim

Duration Product Used:   First ride

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   The Clymb

Bike Setup:   Stock - out of the box. Added bar ends and Shimano XT Trail pedals

Submitted by yliu4 a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2012

Strengths:    Belt drive system is soooooooo damn quiet and smooth!!!
The frame isn't the best looking frame ever, but the geometry is just too perfect, too good to be true.

Weaknesses:    Only come with blue frame for medium size. Not a huge fan for blue.
Price is on the high side for single speed, but it is WORTH IT 120%!!!
You just can't stop pedaling...too addictive and you will run out of water and gu!!!
It doesn't come with life insurance (for the rider); you will be fearless, grow two more pairs of balls, and flying through the trail faster than you ever did before!!!

Bottom Line:
Just get it. I don't care where you get the money, just freaken get this bike!!!
My average speed increased by 1.5 mph overall on this bike!!!
People don't trust the belt drive because belt sounds weak, but the life span is actually 2~3 times longer than a chain.
If abuse it properly, a belt will last 8k~15k miles.
Motorcycle uses belt, so they can't be weak.
The geometry and the stock setup of this bike is just too good to be true.
I climb better than I ever did, I go downhills faster with more control, and the only thing that will slow you down on the single track will be all the slower riders in front of you!!!

Favorite Trail:   Blankets Creek

Submitted by mtbmaniak a All Mountain Rider from Manassas, VA

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2012

Strengths:    Very light
"Cool" Factor
The Gate's Carbon Drive is awesome!
Smooth Handling
Best bike I've ever owned, and I've owned A LOT of bikes

Weaknesses:    EXPENSIVE!
The tubeset is prone to denting, I finished riding my first trail and noticed a rather large dent in my frame near my rear brake on the seat stay. Kind of a bummer, but it doesn't affect the frame. That's one nice thing about steal, it may dent, but it won't break like aluminum.

Bottom Line:
Bottom line: this bike is amazing. It is very expensive, but after riding it the price was definitely worth it. I have come to love this bike. I come from a DH / All mountain background and love aggressive and technical riding. The simplicity of riding a singlespeed that is so quiet and so light has made me not want to ride any other bike ever again. I never have to hassle with tuning my gears, cleaning grease and old chainlube off parts, or worry that something will go wrong on the trail. I ride my other bikes less and less, and am not limited by the singlespeed. I just pedal harder on the uphills and rocket by everyone else and am surprised to find that I'm not out of breath at the top of hills like I am on my all mountain full suspension bike with a chain and all my fancy gears. I may never go back. I'm addicted to this bike.
I was a little bummed to discover a dent after my first ride, but it has not affected the ride.
It may be hard to justify the price, but if you're even thinking about getting this bike even a little bit, you won't be disappointed. Just get it.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim

Gate's carbon drive
Crank Bro's carbon handlebars

Submitted by Sidney a Cross Country Rider from Orange County, CA

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2012

Strengths:    Excellent geometry. Smooth ride for a steel frame. Responsive. Climbs well, descends great.
Light and nimble. Gates drive is quiet and maintenance free.

Weaknesses:    None really. May change out size of stem to make a little more manouverable. May need a slightly large rear sprocket for those tough climbs.

Bottom Line:
Really a nice bike. Surprisingly comfortable for a steel frame. Spot customer service and support is second to none. If you're looking for a single speed, take a look at Spot. I get a lot of second looks on the trails.

Favorite Trail:   El Moro

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Standard out of the box.

Submitted by wantwater a Cross Country Rider from Salida

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2011

Strengths:    I have been thoroughly impressed with this bike from the day i got it. I swapped out some parts- went with chain just to have more gearing options and have now put a thousand miles on it. It is one of the lightest steel frames out there and corners and climbs like a dream. The drop outs work perfectly. The geometry works great for me Medium Frame 5'9", Bikes weighs 22.5 lbs

Weaknesses:    Very Expensive! The frame is light light light. So light that i put a big dent in the top tube with my shin when i washed out in a corner. The scary part was i didn't really hurt my shin so it says something for now light the tubing is. Still waiting to see if it can be repaired or warrantied.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike! I am a bit depressed at the moment while i figure out what to do with dented top tube/frame. Hopefully SPOT will come through for me. If you are looking for light weight cross country race SS then i highly recommend it. If you are hard on bikes this frame might not be for you, Especially at the HIGH price tag.

Favorite Trail:   canyon creek