Spot Honey Badger 29er Hardtail

Like Animal-Leg Seatstays and a new Time-Trial Cutaway Seattube for 82% more vertical compliance over the Rocker – that means better traction and a shocking level of comfort. We further refined the geometry, created a Crenelated Downtube Gusset, and a CNC machined tapered headtube, providing stiffness and stability for remarkable steering control. The Shimano SLX 2x10 drivetrain is silky smooth and reliable. Use it on any day, any trail, for whatever reason. To be honest, the Honey Badger don't care. Spot has rethought the way a vertical slider-style dropout should come together (literally). Not only does it allow both belt-driven and chain-driven single-speed configurations, it also gives you the option to add a derailleur and "gear up." The unique compact system also gives you the ability to remove and replace the rear wheel without having to adjust belt tension. Add a redesigned super-strong frame connection to the mix and the Spot rear dropout system is the strongest, safest, least fussy and most versatile you'll find anywhere.

Submitted by Forest a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2014

Strengths:    Geometry, steel frame, SLX drivetrain, uniqueness

Weaknesses:    Avid brakes

Bottom Line:
I purchased the 2x10 geared version of the Honey Badger because I already have a SS. I chose this bike because I wanted a steel hard tail with more of a Trail geometry.

Let me say, Spot nailed the geometry in this regard. The headtube angle is 69.5 degrees, which in my opinion, is absolutely perfect. This bike climbs like a dream and is stable in descents. It is still pretty stable at high speeds, too.

As far as the frame goes, the steel makes for a nice ride. The animal-leg seat stays and time-trial cut out are supposed to make the rear triangle more compliant, and I would say that it does. It is still a stiffer ride than other 4130 CroMo and 853 steel bikes I have ridden. However, the stiffness comes in handy when you get aggressive. I put on a carbon seat post, which helps a bit.

The frame also allows for a carbon Gates belt drive, so it allows multiple drivetrain set-ups. I have a SS Surly KM, but the idea of having the ability swap a bike from chain to belt intrigued me. I have not tried the Gates yet, but will later this season. The paint job is awesome and looks aggressive.

Component wise, the SLX drivetrain is outstanding. The Manitou Tower fork is a very pleasant surprise. The Bronsons mounted on Sun Ringle Charger Comps are decent. I just wish it came tubeless from the factory. My only beef with this bike is the Avid brakes. It comes with the Elixir 5, which are pure junk (IMHO).

If you are looking for a versatile, steel hard tail, this bike is hard to beat. The only other bike on my radar was the Niner ROS, but I did not want to mess with an EBB. Plus, Niners are stupid expensive. I am very happy with this bike and am sure it will give me years of riding pleasure.

Favorite Trail:   Fountainhead, VA

Purchased At:   eBay

Check out hottest mountain bike products from these brands!