Spot Gates CDS Belt Driven 29er 29er Hardtail

Not just for the big boys anymore. The larger wheels are proven to tame even the most technical trails. The Longboard is our pride and joy, a direct result of years of development and 29er specific engineering. This bike is hands down the best singlespeed bike on the planet. Simple, light and fast! The 29er movement is here to stay.

Submitted by Chris Country a Cross Country Rider from Salida, CO.

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2009

Strengths:    Great geometry, killer steel feel. Low maintenance of belt.

Weaknesses:    Price of regearing with Spot rear cog. Stock Spot components.

Bottom Line:
The Longboard is a singletrack scalpel and is a blast. I'm 5'10" on a medium and it's close to being too small but works well with 120mm stem. The cranks have held up so far but I'm little concerned about the longevity of their design and I ended up getting rid of the variable height spot stem setup. I had to pay $150 just to gear down with a new Spot rear cog which is a serious turn off but you can keep the same belt unlike a previous poster mentioned. The belt has been silent, easy to dial in, and so far, awesome! It's so sweet to go through multiple creek crossings and not have to worry about obsessing over your drivetrain at the end of the day. Time will tell how the belt holds up but at this point, I'm having a great time on the bike and would buy it again in a heartbeat. Never had so many compliments on the trail with any other bike...must be the sweet two tone paint job or the handsome rider. Three chilis due to the Spot house brand components.

Purchased At:   craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Redline monogog, Felt ss.

Bike Setup:   Belt w/32 tooth rear cog. Ditched the Spot tensioners and quick release rear axle w/Sinz tensioners and bolt down axle. Everything else stock so far.

Submitted by darmabum a Cross Country Rider from Boulder, Co

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2009

Strengths:    Frame materials and geometry are really nice. Belt itself is silent.

Weaknesses:    Wheels stink, many defective parts, EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE REPLACEMENT PARTS (more below), heavy components.

Bottom Line:
I was super excited to purchase this bike. Spot Brand is headquarted just a little bit down the road from my house, so I started see the custom built belt drive bikes on trails around as soon as I got here. I love singlespeed and love the idea of the 29er. When it came time to buy, I jumped all over it. There were no reviews here at the time, so I had nothing to go on other than seeing so many around and talking to the shop. I am so sorry I bought. So sorry.

The frame is great! I have to say the geometry works well for those of us who like to fly downhill after cranking up. The fork angle is much more slack than you would expect, so the bike is stable going downhill. The steel frame is comfortable without being too flexy.

But the components - Oh the components!

1 - Spot hub - They use a lousy quick release on their rear hub. Singlespeed's like this with horizontal drops are screaming for bolted rear hubs. With the system the way it is, I had so many problems with cranking up hill and having the rear wheel jump out of position that it was crazy. It rubbed the paint off the inside of the chainstays, it caused me no end of pissyness. Almost every singlespeed bike I have seen came with bolted hubs. Why not this one? In addition, I roasted to of the free hub bodies with three months of riding. Spot warrantied the free hubs, but still, what a waste of time waiting for repairs.

2 - WTB 29er wheels - I have to true them all the time. They just bend. They are heavy, and they really don't like Stan's kits to go tubeless. Oh, and I weigh 160lbs, so I'm a pretty light guy and I still bend these things.

3 - Spot cranks- as someone else mentioned, mine had to be warrantied. They come apart - yes literally start sliding apart and the belt will no longer align.

FINALLY, AND THIS REALLY IMPORTANT FOR YOU SINGLESPEED FOLKS - CHANGING YOUR REAR COG TO GET HIGHER OR LOWER GEARS IS MORE THAN $200 A POP!

I wanted to do a race on my bike. The course was flat and fast. Go to the shop that stocks their parts. New cogs are $100-$140 each!!! Every different cogset means you need to put on a different belt. New belts are $70. I was so disappointed to learn this. On my old chain drive 26er singlespeed, changing gears was spending $25 on a new cog (if that) and adding or removing a link from my chain.

My suggestion to anyone thinking about this bike is "Wait!" This company needs to really think about their product, work out some kinks and think about dropping prices on parts. They finally got me a new hub axle with bolts in it this week (after a month without riding), so I think they are getting that they need to change things. The cogs are ridiculously expensive. The standard gear ratio isn't bad, but if you want to climb hills or commute or race, you are going to throw down more than 10% of the value of the bike again just to change gears. Also, I think their custom made bikes have some really good equipment on them, but to throw down over $1500 for a bike with no shifters and a Taiwanese-built steel frame with components like these is just not right. I anticipate in the next six months saving up my $$ to buy a King hub and good rear rim and converting this to chain drive. Yes, much less hi-tech, but hopefully I won't have to true the rim all the time and I'll be able to change gears for $20 again. That's sad to think.

Favorite Trail:   Picture Rock Trail

Purchased At:   Blue Sky Cycles, Lon

Similar Products Used:   Niner, Kona Big Unit, Kona Unit

Bike Setup:   Initially stock, now XT crank, modified rear hub, Easton bars, gravity dropper post.

Submitted by dblboc a Cross Country Rider from Ft Worth

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2009

Strengths:    Frame is excellent, although I had issues with the paint. Spot fixed it, but it was on Spot time... 2 months

Weaknesses:    All stock Spot components.. I would recommend buying the frame and adding your own choice of parts

Bottom Line:
Frame is great, bike rides great! Spot customer service sucks. I ordered the frame in Feb 08 I got it in May 08. In Sept 08 I had to ship it back to Spot because of the paint job. 2 month's later I got it back...

Favorite Trail:   Off Road

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Bike Setup:   Hayes Brakes, Ritchey post and stem, CK hubs with 719 mavic running stans.. I had the belt, but have converted to gears-

Submitted by sminniear a Cross Country Rider from Auburn, California

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2009

Strengths:    steel frame; frame geometry; CDS belt drive; Spot stem / integrated spacer; Manitou Minute 29er fork

Weaknesses:    Spot brand rocket chain tensioners;

Bottom Line:
** Initial Review **

I don't have significant saddle time on this bike yet, so I'll provide an initial review and update in 2-3 months. I purchased this bike on-line as a "new" production bike that I assembled when I received it.

I had a defective crank which made aligning the CDS belt near impossible, but Spot warrantied it with no questions asked!

The Spot brand rocket tensioners look cool, but are difficult to work with and I've had trouble keeping the rear wheel aligned and tensioned so I'm replacing with Redline or Sinz.

As for the ride, it's outstanding. The combination of the steel frame, spot on geometry (no pun intended) and Manitou fork with the CDS drivetrain results in a bike that is super quiet, responsive and compliant. Good stuff!

Ratings:

I could ding the value rating as a result of the tensioner, but in the overall scheme of things, this is a minor issue remedied for under $15.00. At under $1500.00, I feel this bike offers excellent value for money. However, there are few things you might want to upgrade if you're looking to save weight. The WTB wheelset (Spot rear hub) is fine but heavy compared to a high-end Stan's, Mavic or Easton setup.

The Hayes stroker brakes work fine, but lack the strength and feel of Juicy 7 or Ultimates in my opinion and on a 29er, it takes more braking power to slow. On a positive note, the lever adjustment feature is great! I'm giving this bike 5 flaming chilis because a bike spec'd with the upgrades I'm talking about would be $1000.00 more than what I spent and the ride is awesome as is.

Favorite Trail:   Tahoe Rim trail