Specialized Stumpjumper Comp Carbon 29er 29er Hardtail

4.38/5 (8 Reviews)

FACT carbon frame with geometry perfectly dialed-in for 29er wheels inlcuding the shortest chainstays and wheelbase and honed angles for the most nimble handling.
  • FACT 8m carbon HT frame with 29er-specific geometry, tapered head tube and oversized BB offers superb ride feel and performance in an incredibly lightweight package
  • RockShox Reba RLT 29er fork with size-specific travel, rebound/compression adjust, and Floodgate control allows this 29er to soak up rocks like no other
  • Custom DT Swiss 29" rims with eyelets and sleeved seams keep weight low and durability high
  • S-Works Renegade 29 x 1.95" dual compound 2Bliss Ready tires with aramid bead roll fast and still provide plenty of race-tested traction
  • Custom SRAM S-1250 10-speed double crankset with GXP spindle and alloy arms for smooth, efficient power transfer
  • Avid Elixir R SL lightweight hydraulic brakes with tool-less reach adjust and long-lasting, semi-metallic pads halt bombing runs with superb control and modulation

Submitted by Bodie6

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2014

Strengths:    The frame is stiff, yet it is somewhat compliant. The bike is definitely light, and the 29" wheels help roll over obstacles better than my 26" Epic. The Magura MTS brakes have been nothing short of spectacular. They have yet to howl or demonstrate any serious brake fade on the downhills. The bike feels dialed, and I can feel the direct power transfer from the pedals. The bike simply flies when you put the power down. The 15mm front axle helps keep the front end on track.

Weaknesses:    I wish the bike came with a 100mm fork, but so far the Reba solo air has held its own pretty well and was ridiculously easy to set up. The wheels are kinda heavy, but wheels are typically the first thing that gets upgraded anyway. My only real complaint is the Phenom saddle. It is definitely a more "racy" saddle; it's stiff, light, and offers very little padding. For short rides/races, this is fine, but I am an endurance racer, so I need something with a bit more comfort for the long haul. I'm a WTB Pure V guy, so I plan on switching it out pretty soon.

Bottom Line:
Overall, this is a really nice bike for the value. I got a really sweet deal on the 2015 model (black) from my local bike shop (thanks Hollyloft Ski and Bike in Jamestown, NY!!). I typically ride rooty, rocky, east coast singletrack, and this bike handles it all quite well. I like the instant acceleration, the pinpoint handling, and the bike's overall light weight and efficiency. The bike climbs really well and does a fine job of slicing and dicing singletrack. The bike has a racy geometry, but I noticed that I can ride the bike for many hours without getting fatigued. This will only improve after I switch the saddle.

Before I purchased the bike, I switched out the stock tires (Fast Traks) for something with more grip (Purgatory 2.3 front, Control 2.1 rear) and had the shop mechanic convert them to tubeless. If you want to ride this bike as an "everyday" bike, then I strongly suggest getting more "trail" orientated tires. The provide more volume, which translates to a more stable and comfortable ride. I also switched out the grips to ODIs.

Submitted by Dirt McGirt

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2014

Strengths:    First off the geometry is on point. The sizing and tech that went into manufacturing this bike is on point. The frame is light the crank and other gearing components are relatively mediocre for the price point but do the job just fine.
Weight distribution is great.

Weaknesses:    The biggest weakness is the Roval wheels that come factory on this bike. I rode tubes and had issues at the local trails so I converted to tubeless and things got worse. I had to have a wheelset built to meet the needs of what I wanted to do with the bike.
Another "weak" point is the fork. I mean, for close to $3k, who wants to have to upgrade the fork? The Reba is a solid fork but the one for this model only traverses 90mm.

Bottom Line:
Its a great bike. I dont regret purchasing it but I would have rather not had to buy aftermarket parts to ride on the moderately difficult trails around here.

Submitted by Soundtallica a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2014

Strengths:    Ridiculously, mind blowingly, magically stiff and fast. Super lightweight. Unbeatable uphill and on smooth surfaces. Dialed geometry makes it super nimble yet still stable. Surprisingly good downhill and on technical trail, descends better than my old Fuel EX8. Rolls over EVERYTHING. An overall kickass mountain bike

Weaknesses:    It's made by the tyrannical corporation Specialized. I got it used though, so I don't feel guilty because I didn't directly support them. No thru-axle, although the oversized DT Swiss axle is adequate.

Bottom Line:
What can I say? It's the best mountain bike I've ever ridden. Its power transfer is magical, I always feel like I can click up a gear to go faster if I wanted to, even if I'm tired. This is the only bike I've ever ridden, road bikes included, that's given me this sensation. Because of this the bike's also super fast on the road, barring gearing I can hang with the roadies all day!

It doesn't give up much on the trail though. Yes, it's a hardtail and you can't stay seated when navigating rock gardens, but the 29 inch wheels, forgiving carbon frame, and superb geometry make it easy. The big wheels are for real. They steamroll over everything and keep momentum much better than any 26er or 650b can hope to, and if set up tubeless they still feel light enough when you need to accelerate. The Comp may not have a thru-axle, but the oversized DT Swiss axle is still an improvement over a standard quick release. The Captain tires are great all-rounders. Because of all this, it handles technical trails and descends as well as if not better than my old Fuel EX8 with 5 inches of travel, ABP, DRCV, and everything. It might not take to drops, jumps, and pumping as well, but that's not what it's designed for.

In all, this is a near-perfect mountain bike. It's extremely fast, so I can ride to trails without dying of boredom, but can still rip the trails when I get there. I highly recommend the Stumpjumper Carbon HT!

Similar Products Used:   Numerous 5in travel, 26in full suspension bikes.

Bike Setup:   Stock, set up tubeless.

Submitted by Steve Johnston a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2013

Strengths:    This bike climbs like a goat and descends with a stability which inspires total confidence. I am able to point and shoot through rough terrain almost as well as I do on my All Mountain full suspension bike! Solid mix of components out of the box, I didn't feel the need to upgrade a single thing. My extra-large unit tipped the scales at 25 pounds with bottle cages and Crank Bros. Candy pedals

Weaknesses:    The only weakness I can mention is the rear brake howls like a banshee. I've found on blogs that the stock pads are Magura's 7.2 models and are designed for longevity. Changing to the 7.1 performance model quiets the rear end while still maintaining the stopping power

Bottom Line:
I’ve been riding the Specialized for around 3 months now, mostly on the buffed out smooth single track of Central Washington. However I recently rode it in the Test of Metal race in Squamish BC and I was pleasantly surprised at how well the bike performed. The hard tail frame climbed the like you’d expect with power to the ground with every pedal stroke, but it shined even in the rocky rooty tough Canadian single track. The 29 inch wheels rolled over obstacles with ease and never once had me wishing for my full suspension rig. I passed so many FS bikes on the climbs I couldn’t do anything but smile. The carbon frame soaks up a good amount of trail vibrations and the components are a mix of Specialized in house items at the contact points, while Magura, Shimano, and Rock Shock fill in the rest. Overall I can honestly say I love this bike!

Purchased At:   Arlberg Sports

Bike Setup:   Bone Stock

Submitted by toas797 a Racer

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2012

Strengths:    For the price this bike is incredible, the 2013 model really has been fine tuned to be perfect. The frame and components are all solid including the new magura brakes and the shimano xt derailleur with the clutch! Climbs like a beast, and in a wierd way almost doesn't even feels like a hardtail on some rocky sections... Out of the box with a few changes to the bike( cobalt 11 handlebars, esi grips, and a tubeless setup) it weighed 22.7 pounds. Very hard to beat the weight of this bike for the price!

Weaknesses:    If there are any weaknesses on this bike i haven't seen them. I'd say that the wheelset is probably the weakest part. Don't get me wrong, it's still a GREAT wheelset but if you throw stans on there this bike will probably be sub twenty pounds!

Bottom Line:
If you're looking for tour first race bike just buy the damn thing!

Purchased At:   BVB

Similar Products Used:   Specialized s works stumpjumper HT
S works epic
Hardrock sport

Bike Setup:   Threw a pair of pink esi grips, made it tubeless, and threw cobalt 11 handlebars on there with some xtr pedals and im lovingit.

Submitted by Sean O

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2012

Strengths:    Everything about the bike is amazing. It handles very well and is supper fast.

Weaknesses:    The Avid brakes are noisy. They make a chirping sound. I am going to replace the pads and see if that helps. The handles bars are very wide (680mm) but they provide great control. Im going to put carbon bars that are 640mm

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a race bike to upgrade from my Specialized hardrock that I put a lot of money into. This bike was the perfect bike. It does everything I want it to and it performs great. My first race on it (Cat 2 sport) I took 3rd overall out of 108 riders and only my 3rd race in the class, I can move up to Cat 2 Comp. I would recomend this bike to anyone who is looking for a great race bike. I wouldn't buy this just for the trails

Submitted by Bill

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2012

Strengths:    The bike is a climbing machine! The carbon frame is stiff but light. The front fork allows enough adjustment to overcome any obstacles or terrain. The bike shifts quickly, even under a climbing load. I've owned several mt bikes over the years but this has been the best one yet.

Weaknesses:    The Avid disc brakes are really noisy! The brakes make a grinding and squealing sound and I had to replace the metallic pads and buff the rotors. Even with organic pads the brakes still make a lot of noise and the carbon frame seems to amplify the noise. I was told by the shop where I purchased the bike that it takes time to break in the brakes but I had nearly 800 miles on the bike before I got fed up and replaced the pads. Other riders I have spoken to have similar complaints about Avid brakes and suggested I replace them completely.

Bottom Line:
Overall a great machine and a blast to ride.

Submitted by MacinSeed a Cross Country Rider from Ellicott City

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2012

Strengths:    This is my first full carbon bike and I really really love it. The strengths are the frame geometry - the setup itself works for me very well. As normal I'll give this the usual stamp of it climbs very well! Then again coming from a 26" Trek EX 8, yea so it's climbs much better than it.

Weaknesses:    The hubs, well they just stink! The Specialized Hi Low 142+ is a Specialized propitiatory hub and comes from the factory with little to no lube, which caused a failure right around the 250 mile mark. Basically I'm saving for a new set of wheels, so for now I'm gonna just service them myself.

Bottom Line:
Bumpy bombing down the hills, but climbs like nothing I've ever owned before. This in my opinion is a great trade off! However the wheels, ugh - my choice words for the Hi Lo 142+ hubs would get me banned. They seem stiff, but an overhaul already!!!

Favorite Trail:   Waterbars, Soapstone, etc...

Purchased At:   Princeton Sports