Specialized Stumpjumper 29er EVO 29er Hardtail

4.71/5 (14 Reviews)

Pared down, pumped up, and ready to roll on widely varied terrain, the Stumpjumper 29er EVO is a new take on a modern classic.
  • 29er HT frame with curved top tube looks as fast and sweet as it rides due to its race-optimized 29" geometry and M5 manipulated alloy construction
  • RockShox Reba RLT 29er fork with size-specific travel, rebound/compression adjust, and Floodgate control allows this 29er to soak up rocks like no other
  • DT Swiss 520SL 29" rims are strong enough to handle complex singletrack, yet light enough to make the climb out effortless
  • Both 2Bliss Ready, the S-Works Purgatory 29 x 2.2" front tire is aggressive for varied terrain, and the S-Works The Captain 29 x 2.0" rear tire rolls fast with formidable side knob for traction in turns
  • SRAM's venerable X.0 carbon, short cage rear derailleur is super light and tough, delivering spot-on shifts no matter the conditions
  • e* thirteen XCX 1x10 chainguide to keep chain solidly in place while shifting through 10 speeds

Submitted by Mat a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2013

Strengths:    Light, fast, high end componets, "murdered out" look is sweet

Weaknesses:    Ground control tires are so-so.

Bottom Line:
God, I love this bike. I moved from a high-end FS 26" to the EVO. I was a bit worried about the 1x10 set up, and the beating I might take from moving back to a hard tail. My fears were put to the side on the very first ride. From the moment I left the parking lot to ride my local trail, I was cleaning stuff I'd never cleaned before.

The bike is light and fast. If you are worried about the EVO setup, this bike rides like a CC racer. The 1x10 was my biggest concern, but it is perfect. I spin out about 22-24mph on the high end and I can can only imagine that a very long sustained climb would leave me wanting more gearing on the low end.

Until you ride the 1x setup, you don't understand how awesome it is. Just a little shift here and there. No rattles, no long shifts, no dropped chains, no problems. And, oh, so quiet! Unreal.

This is my, I don't know, seventh or eighth MTB? After riding for a few months, I don't even remember any other bikes. This one is MY bike. It's amazing. Get it.

Submitted by tudor a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2013

Strengths:    Ease of maintenance (hardtail plus 1x10 gearing). Stock spec really well thought out. Lightweight yet specced with more robust, more 'all-mountain' components.

Weaknesses:    Stem too long. Noisy brakes (Avids on 2012 model). Valves and tape (to convert to tubeless) not supplied.

Bottom Line:
In my opinion, the Specialized EVO HT is a beautiful understated mountain bike and a solid all-round design.

Weighing in a just over 24lbs (in 19.5" large) the EVO flies uphill. And, being a 29er and specced out with several more 'all mountain' orientated components (tires, wheelset and 180mm disc upfront), it handles the rough and descents better than you'd think.

Like most, I was a little concerned about the 1x10's range but it's not been an issue at all, in fact I love the simplicity of having no front derailleur to mess up or adjust.

Out of the box I found very little that needed changing though I have fitted platform pedals and a shorter stem (the stock was 100 mm ...yuck!). I also fitted alligator rotors to cut out Avid brake squeal - this not an issue on the 2013s as they come with Maguras.

Overall, the EVO HT is a great all-mountain hardtail - ideal for someone wanting a lightweight, maintenance-free ride that will handle a surprisingly broad range of terrain and riding styles.

Favorite Trail:   Snowdonia, North Wales

Purchased At:   Freeborn, UK

Submitted by dave a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2013

Strengths:    Carves a trail like a Ginsu knife, light, great brakes and an all around great feel. I only swapped out the OEM Roval wheels and use my Mavic Crossmax's...

Weaknesses:    Tires could use an upgrade aside form that, nothing....

Bottom Line:
After selling off an 2010 29er FSR because it was never the right fit or feel, this bike reminds be of a turbo charged version of my 1996 M2, and was well worth waiting to get (picked it up a month ago). Having been mountain biking since '81 and going through an prehistoric SM500 Cannondale, Klein Mountain Elite, Fat Chance's (wicked team issue) and a few others over the years, this is just the next step up the evolutionary mountain bike ladder.

While funds were not ample enough to get this in a carbon frame, one can only imagine what THAT would be like. Lots of miles of smiles. Take a bow Specialized

Favorite Trail:   Most anyplace there's dirt and singletrack

Submitted by Rudeboy11

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2012

Strengths:    Magura breaks are awesome. 1x10 set up is simple and effective. Over all a well rounded bike. Love the murdered out look.

Weaknesses:    Specialized Ground Control rear and S Works Purgatory front not the best. Very thin side walls, Will be upgrading tires very soon.

Bottom Line:
This bike is one mean machine. I am very happy with the stock set up minus the tires. If you purchase this bike you will be very satisfied and and for the price you can't go wrong.

Favorite Trail:   Sweetwater

Purchased At:   OVB

Submitted by Tim a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2012

Strengths:    Geometry, good looks, nice and light, responsive, quality frt fork, 1x10, Sram XO, tubeliss ready tires. Stealthy look with the essentials and no excess garbage. Smooth shifts and a solid feel. All in all a really good component mix.

Weaknesses:    Pricey for a stripped down thrasher, less parts but more money...;-). Beware of the S-works Purgatory front tire (sidewall is very thin), no tabs on the frame for a chain tensioner (roller). Bad chain slap when the going gets fast and rough, even took out several links in the chain and adjusted the rear derailleur position (understand it's all dependent on rider style, terrain, and gear selection etc.). Brakes are noisy. Low bottom bracket makes for the occasional unexpected pedals hits. Royval Traverse spokes were all pretty loose and noisy out of the box, had to tighten. Grips are much worn after 3 months of hard riding.

Bottom Line:
All in all this bike is perfect for the XC crowd as its light and fast. Keep the same price point and add a dropper post, welded frame tabs, and the Demo 8 platform pedal (bennies) and for me it would be perfect. I did convert to Stan’s No Tubes with the red rim tape which sealed up right away. I have torn the sidewalls of two front tires the S-Works Purgatory and the Control Purgatory (was running 25 pounds on both occasions). If you plan to ride on the street at all you may consider 2x10 drive train. As always, your bike dealer can make it or break it when it comes to being happy with your purchase so shop carefully and don't be in a hurry.

Favorite Trail:   Trestle Bike Park, locally I like Landahl

Duration Product Used:   Purchased March 2012

Purchased At:   Lees Summit mo.

Submitted by eganb a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2012

Strengths:    1. Great 29'er geometry, very nimble like a 26 inch bike but rolls over obstacles with little effort. 2. Great components (minus brakes). 3. Sub 25 Lbs with 100mm of travel! 4. 1 X 10 drivetrain is simple and provides all the power necessary for XC/Trail riding. 5. Everything holding up well versus a big guy!(6'2", 215LB) 6. Perfect Trail/XC bike unless conditions include lots of small bumps. 7. Tires are 'tubeless ready' and are wide/burly enough for most normal/wet conditions.

Weaknesses:    1. Avid brakes are noisy! (supposedly this can be fixed by using organic brake pads). That being said, they still provide great braking power. 2. Tires/rims do not come tubeless ready. 3. Handlebars REALLY wide. (at 6'2", I cut 1.5 inches off the handlebars) 4. Specialized 'pricy' versus competition 5. Seat padding, but that depends on how you ride.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike (2012 Evo)!! I had a 2011 Rockhopper Expert and, while that bike was excellent, this one fair out-paces it. The Stumpjumper is lighter (sub 25lb in a 21 inch frame), more durable, has better braking and traction than the rockhopper. The 29'er geometry is nimble but still can easily roll over obstacles that my 26'er could not have. It also gives added 'suspension' versus a 26 inch bike. I have put this bike through the worst obstacles I could find (and I am referred to as a rough-on-bikes), and I have had no issues with rims/components/frame. Only issues: the seat (phenom) is very thin if you do not wear bibs, which can wear on you for longer rides. Bike should have come tubeless ready. Brakes are loud. Overall: I couldn't be happier with this bike. It is a great XC/Trail bike, although it might not give you the endurance a full suspension bike might on longer rides, it is perfect for fast and quick laps. In the end of the day I am sure I will end up with a full suspension bike as well, but I will hold onto this bike as my HT.

Favorite Trail:   Brown County St. Park, Indiana

Purchased At:   Hodson's Bay

Similar Products Used:   Raleigh Mojave 8.0
Specialized Rockhopper Expert 29er

Submitted by RCMTB a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2012

Strengths:    Frame, rims, drive-train, 1x10, 29" wheels, low maintenance, decent fork

Weaknesses:    Rear Hi-Lo hub can go at anytime. Brakes warble horribly.

Bottom Line:
I bought a 2012 17.5" last April and the bike is perfect for the XC trails I ride in the DC/MD/VA area. This is my first 29er and it just does everything better than a 26HT or 26FS bike making riding even that much more enjoyable. If you're looking for a HT 29er this bike should be on your short list. I sold both my 26HT and 26FS bikes after a month of riding this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Fountainhead

Purchased At:   Spokes Etc - Fairfax

Bike Setup:   Stock, except for Specialized Pro CLP MultiStem (90mm 17 degree) stem, Alligator Serration Disc rotors, XTR985M pedals and Garmin Edge 500.

Submitted by Wesley Rhoads a Racer

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2012

Strengths:    This bike has many strengths. The first is definitely value. At 2150 You are getting a race ready bike. The next strength is simplicity. With the 1x10 setup there is very little chain slap and you never drop the chain off the front chain ring.

Weaknesses:    It creaks which is annoying on gravel roads but on the trail it seems to go away.

Bottom Line:
If you are looking for a bike that you can ride for a long time go with this one. It is simple, lite at 25 lbs, and it is aluminum so you do not have to worry about cracking the frame.

I recommend this bike to anyone, you will not be let down.

Purchased At:   Jeff's Bike Shop

Submitted by FreeridinPhil

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2012

Strengths:    Absolutely best bike & components for the money. Only 25.04lbs with the stock plastic pedals!! It takes off from underneath you. 2012 model comes with Roval Rims, Fox Float, and X0 rear der. No need to replace tires before riding. Got mine for $1900, literally can't beat that. Its better than the composite XTC, lighter, better components and cheaper. Not to mention the murked out look is beyond sick! I have a Specialized SX Trail also and I was surprised how well this bike launched in the air and tackled any stunts I pointed it at. Unbelievable turning. Also very surprised how well it flies downhill. It'll give you the confidence to climb sections that you didn't think about before. Great geometry, easy to shred on the trail. I think its a crossover of a trail xc/am. Exactly what I was looking for. Great bike. After riding, I would of payed another $500 for it easy. Get it, I promise you won't have any regrets,,sooo fast!

Weaknesses:    Didn't come with clipless pedals and no quick release seat post clamp. Thats about it!

Bottom Line:
A freeriders XC dream come true. So glad I went with the hardtail. Pedals so freaking good! Check out the features & components on Specialized.com

Favorite Trail:   Fast, twisty, stunty, jumpy

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale, Giant XTC, Salsa El Mariachi, Santa Cruz Highboy

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by cdkrenz a Cross Country Rider from Stevens Point, Wisconsin

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2012

Strengths:    I purchased this bike in May of 2011. Brand new it retailed for $2,150.

You will love its light weight (around 25lbs), nimbleness in the corners and tight switchbacks, and responsive feel in rock gardens. It gets up hills with minimal effort and has a dark stealthy look.

If you haven't ridden a 1x10 drivetrain this is the bike to get you hooked. You'll find it's geared perfectly for Wisconsin's single-track. The crank has 33 teeth and the cassette runs 11-36.

Weaknesses:    Brakes on this 2011 version could be a bit better. The internal workings of the rear hub gave up after about 250 miles.

Bottom Line:
This is a fantastic bike. The components offered with the bike are well worth the price tag. It's great to see Specialized putting together such sharp looking rides that offer real benefits on the trails. If you can, go get one of these bikes.

Favorite Trail:   9-Mile

Purchased At:   Hostel Shoppe

Submitted by hampstead bandit a All Mountain Rider from London, England

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2012

Strengths:    very high quality M5 aluminium alloy frame
Fox 32 Evo fork with 100mm travel
SRAM 1 x 10 shifting with E13 chain device
Roval Traversee wheelet with Specialized 2 Bliss tires
Avid Elixir brakeset
Great handling, great backup from Specialized (if needed)
Very affordable and generally good components "out the box"

Weaknesses:    Horrible handlebar (weird shape)
Stem too long (90mm for medium frame)
no tubeless conversion kit (2011 had tubeless valve cores and tape)
crappy pedals
dubious lock-on grips (single bolt) can be rotated under pressure!

Bottom Line:
one of the "sleeper hits" for Specialized during 2012?

easily the most awesome 29er hardtail for the hardcore trail / all mountain rider

sweet handling, good tough components and legendary warranty from SBC

amazing frame with great dialled geometry, fox fork, Roval wheels and SRAM / AVID drivetrain and brakes

add your own touches to the finishing kit and little tweaks, you are set and ready to roll those 'wagon wheels' over the rough terrain

Favorite Trail:   Spaniards Delight, NW London

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Evans Cycles Waterlo

Similar Products Used:   Ellsworth Evolve 29er
Norco Shinobi

Bike Setup:   Thomson X4 70mm stem, Easton Havoc 750mm bars, ODI lock-on grips, Thomson Elite 410mm seatpost, WTB Devo Ti saddle, Nukeproof Neutron pedals, Stan's tubeless conversion kit, Sram XX titanium bolts for rotors and controls

Submitted by Tom a Cross Country Rider from newark, DE, USA

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2012

Strengths:    Great for cross country trail style and racing. Bike comes stock with everything I really wanted as far as the parts spec. I made mine tubeless and cut down the truck driver bars and that's about it. I love the feel especially how stiff the frame is. Ubber light and responsive I'm stoked.

Weaknesses:    No valves and rim tape stock that's it.

Bottom Line:
Buy one, specialized has an epic line up of bikes this year have fun. Great quality!

Favorite Trail:   Fair Hill

Purchased At:   Wooden Wheels

Similar Products Used:   Stump comp 29er

Submitted by TiGeo a Cross Country Rider from Midlothian, VA

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2012

Strengths:    Awesome looking; the black on black "murdered out" look is really cool in person. Lots of small details on the frame - this isn't just a run-of-the-mill aluminum frame. The components are perfect out of the box, I wouldn't upgrade anything. The tires stick like glue. The 1x10 is more than I need for the trails I ride, nice and quiet. The Fox Fork is great, just enough to take the edge off the roots etc. I love the 720mm bar. All the Specialized house-brand stuff is amazingly nice. I am 5'6" and the 15.5" fits perfectly.

Weaknesses:    None so far. Only complaint I have is that for $2100 in 2012, a bike with tubeless-ready tires and rims should come with the valve stems and tape to make it tubeless from day one without having to buy it separately.

Bottom Line:
This bike rocks. If you are looking to get a 29er and want it set up right from day one, this is the one to get. May not be the best choice for newer riders or riders in the mountains b/c of the more limited gear ratios, but for me, this is the best bike I could get out of the box for the type of trails I ride and my riding style.

Favorite Trail:   Pocohantas State Park

Price Paid:    $2099.00

Purchased At:   Olde Towne Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Ridden many different bikes over the past 20 years from steel hard tails to a full suspension bike in the mid-90s.

Bike Setup:   Stock - will go tubeless soon. Won't change anything else.

Submitted by JohnnyK a Cross Country Rider from Vernon Hills, IL, USA

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2011

Strengths:    The components you get for the price is hard to beat.

Weaknesses:    Nothing yet.

Bottom Line:
I almost bought the Stumpjumper Comp 29er a year ago, but held off mostly for financial reasons. I'm so glad I did, because this year they offered the EVO, which comes from the factory exactly how I would have modified the other one had I bought it. Specifically, it comes with 100mm of travel in the fork (instead of 80mm), 185mm front rotor and 160mm rear (instead of 160mm for both), bigger volume meaty tires, and setup as a 1x10.

The bike feels fantastically solid the way it is. Specialized has done a fantastic job dialing the geometry, as I noticed no negative effects switching from my old 26" hardtail to this. It handles, climbs, and descends intuitively, but the big wheels have clear advantages. The Reba fork is smooth and easy to adjust, the Elixir R brakes are strong and reliable, the X7 shifter and X0 rear derailleur are crisp, and the eThirteen chain guide has yet to let the chain fall off. I love the wide bars; I really wanted to try a wider bar, and they feel every bit as good as I had imagined. The 1x10 setup is the only way I will ride here in the midwest, because it's simple, easier to maintain, quieter, and allows for a short cage derailleur and shorter chain, so the drivetrain has less slack and slop. Plus, with the 36 cog in back, I still have plenty of gear to climb whatever I have around here. I love it.

I converted the tires to tubeless, which was easy because the bike came with the rim strips and valves. I have had no problems with it set up this way, and love how it feels when I drop the tire pressure way down. No flats all season so far.

The frame looks fantastic, the paint scheme is so subtle but so sharp. Pictures don't do it justice, because you can't see the play of gloss black with flat black, which is found even on the seatpost, the crank arms, and the fork. All that black is perfectly offset with gold touches here and there, but not so much that it becomes tacky. It's a sharp, tough looking bike that got more attention at the trailhead than my brother's more expensive, less common 29er, which usually steals the show.

I cannot recommend this bike enough. I love it, the way it looks and rides. For the price, you couldn't piece together a bike nearly this nice by yourself.

Purchased At:   Johnny Sprockets

Bike Setup:   Stock, but tubeless.

Sooo Frustrated – 2013 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert Evo 29er

Picked up a new Stumpjumper a couple months back and was ecstatic with my purchase until the first ride. Climbed great to the top of the mountain then started the downhill only to have the noisiest brakes on the mountain. First five rides were the same way. Yes the noise was super annoying but wh ... Read More »

2013 Stumpjumper FSR Evo 29er

I just got my new 2013 Stumpjumper FSR Evo 29er! A few upgrades so far: - Easton Haven Carbon Handlebar - 1x10 setup, using 32T - XT brakes (not installed yet) - XO shifter - Raceface Atlas Stem - Tubeless So far I have a few rides in and I love this bike! This one bike replaced my 2012 Enduro ... Read More »

Buying stumpjumper fsr expert evo 29er

Does anyone have any regrets or would've you got something else after buying this bike?Read More »

Looking for....2012 Stumpjumper FSR Expert Evo 29er XXL

I know it's a long shot, but if anyone knows of one sitting in a shop, please let me know. The 2013 changed components, so really want the 2012.Read More »

pitch pro vs stumpjumper fsr evo 29er

hi, im looking for a new bike and i really think that 29er have and edge, i have a 29er hardtail (carve) as my second bike and i love it,but in hard downhills whit jumps and steep trails my first choise is always my pitch pro whit 150mm of travel in front and back i feel secure thats it, but i see t ... Read More »