Specialized Rockhopper 29er Hardtail

4.19/5 (126 Reviews)

Submitted by salterwa a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2014

Strengths:    Handling, weight, shifting.

Weaknesses:    Too new.

Bottom Line:
Bought this bike today after much deliberation. Was debating between the CRAVE, ROCKHOPPER AND HARDROCK. I had a full suspension bike which I didn't use all that much in this part of NJ. Took the ROCKHOPPER out for a test run today on some single track and it was fantastic. Clean shifts. Climbs very well. This will be more bike than I will need for a long time to come. Feels very light and nimble. Glad I didnt spend more on something else, and this bike for 880 will allow me to upgrade over time. As for now im going to use it till parts break! Lifetime warranty on frame. I would consider myself an intermediate rider. YEAH 29ER!

Purchased At:   54 cycles

Similar Products Used:   KONA DAWG DELUXE

Bike Setup:   OUT OF BOX

Submitted by SnakeHandling SingleSpeeder a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2013

Strengths:    AWESOME bike. Light weight.

Bottom Line:
I got the single speed version and it is wonderful. Super light weight. Great components. Highly recommend as an upper mid range bike...basically it's not a stump jumper- bit it is very close.

Submitted by djyoung4 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2013

Strengths:    Very fast climber. Has been able to handle whatever I can throw at it. Light weight for what you pay and changing a couple things can make it very light. Great feel of the wheels through the handlebars.

Weaknesses:    Trouble in some of the more technical stuff. Struggles for grip sometimes in rocky fast corners. weak crankarms. I broke one of them shortly after buying it

Bottom Line:
Great bike for what I use it for. I put a Raceface Single Speed crank on it and it became significantly lighter. I use it to ride to work and for singletrack slayin' which it does exceptionally well. Riding in any rocky terrain can be a little loose though at high speeds which is a little scary. I can climb very well on the bike though. Definitely would suggest this bike to someone to learn on as the hardtail really makes you work around corners and descents. It handles any drops or jumps that I have thrown at it which isn't anything more then 5 feet high. Corners great as long as it can keep the grip. Being in Phoenix though it is tough to find any smooth ground here.

Purchased At:   craigslist

Submitted by Jeff

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2013

Strengths:    Frame Geometry
Maneuverability
Dependability

Weaknesses:    Weight
Low-end components

Bottom Line:
For this price range, the bike is phenomenal. I purchased mine in 2009 with expectations of an intermediate model. It has handled Upstate NY's varied conditions with ease, and no problems have arisen.

Specialized really put some thought into the frame. It's strong, a great fit, and incredibly maneuverable with the 29" tires. It's not terribly heavy, though there's always room for improvement. I have modified most of the components through time, but not due to failure. Just upgrades.

A few upgrades to consider:
- Pedals. They include a cheap set. Don't sell yourself short.
- Tires. As with most models, they leave the shop with less than desirable rubber. With that said, my original set lasted 3.5 years.
- The bars are wide. I took a half inch off each side. Makes a world of difference.
- You can live with the crankset. Mine needs replacement after 4 years of heavy use.

Submitted by DavidHarsay a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2013

Strengths:    Updated geometry (shorter chainstay and slack head angle). Accepts 1.5 / 1.25 tapered forks and works well with the frame at 100mm travel (fork as delivered is not tapered but has a reducer installed). Weaknesses below are mostly acceptable for the price range. Great looking bike. The best lock on grips ever made by Specialized in my opinion.

Weaknesses:    Powdercoating chips and is damaged very easily, although fairly scratch resistant. Almost 32lbs as delivered, is a little bit much. Heavy and weak fork, heavy and weak crankset, the bottom bracket shell is 68mm even though the specs lie and say 73mm (which the higher end bikes do have), Chinese made frame (although some have mentioned Taiwan build) and looking inside the frame structure there are a lot of rough looking burrs. 180mm brakes are not the best, but work better as 160mm downsized.

Bottom Line:
Well under 24lbs once components are upgraded (wheels/tires/forks/drivetrain/seatposts/bars) and transforms the bike, but most people wouldn't do what I did. Fun to ride around on, but the components stock are get-what-you-pay-for.

Similar Products Used:   Stumpjumper Comp 29er 19", Northrock XC29 17.5"

Bike Setup:   Stans Tubeless Arch EX wheels with Stans hubs, Bliss tubeless tires, 100mm SID RLT forks, 1x10 with Shimano XT casette, Shimano chain (important as the SRAM chain didn't work as smooth), XTR derailleur, XT crankset with Wolftooth 32T front sprocket, Ceramic BB70 type bottom bracket, lightweight 160mm TiNitrided rotors, Ti hardwareall over, Carbon 660mm bars, Woodman Ti-Al Skewers and seat clamp, Toupe+ Expert seat on Thompson Elite post,

Submitted by Brandon Durham a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2013

Strengths:    Tough frame
Hydraulic Brakes

Weaknesses:    Pedals are garbage

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike as an upgrade from a Gary Fisher Advance 26". The bike is awesome. Rides great and is much more agile and maneuverable than expected. I swapped the pedals to VP-001s before I even left the shop. I do a lot of hike and bike and I have had no problems throwing it up on my shoulder to navigate some nasty unrideable terrain. I am very pleased with this bike. I am 6'1" 180 lbs and I bought a Large. I couldn't ask for a better fit. I would however like a narrower set of bars. They seem really wide for me. I had read a couple of bad reviews on the fork but I really like the ride and adjustability and lock out of the fork.

Purchased At:   Bicycle Station Chey

Bike Setup:   All stock except:
VP pedals (definitely recommend)

Submitted by Mike a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2013

Strengths:    Geometry, Minor Details,

Weaknesses:    Tires, Pedals,

Bottom Line:
I purchased this after 10+ years of being out of the saddle, and I've put about 6 hours on it thus far. I was skeptical about it at first, as my previous bike had a full XT set-up and I didn't think that the componentry of this bike would be very good, but I was very much wrong. I love the three-way shifting. I am super impressed with Specialized's geometry and the overall rideability of the bicycle. I'm not super thrilled about their choice of tires for the bike, I found them packed with mud and slipping over wet rocks, but paired with presta valves made the on trail adjustments a lot simpler. (I really wish I would have figured that out back in the day!) I feel that the brakes could be improved, but that may just be a minor adjustment. The saddle is comfy, not the best, but I figure that my butt is going to be sore anytime that I ride a bike. I am quite pleased with the XC28 fork, it is not the stiffest, but I have yet to be worried about it and I love the number of adjustments available. Overall, I would recommend this bicycle, I think Specialized got it right with this one, and the price is very affordable.

Purchased At:   Half Link Bike Shop,

Submitted by volfan51128

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2013

Strengths:    Solid frame, changes gears very well, I like the trigger shifters and brakes.

Weaknesses:    a little sloppy on the technical stuff. i think this is due to this being my first 29er.

Bottom Line:
Bullet proof frame, that is very surprising strait out of the box. I have owned Treks, Schwinn Homegrown, etc and always wanted to get a specialized. I am very happy with this purchase and definitely like the bike so far. I'm gonna take it the next few weeks and shred the hell out of it to see what its really all about, but as of right now, I like it alot!

Submitted by SMRacer30 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2013

Strengths:    Easy climber compared to what I upgraded from. Pretty solid drivetrain for beginner to intermediate. This bike picks up speed good and is lighter than all but one other bike I tested in the price range. I ride mostly flat trails/ single track and road use. 29er is great...my brother just bought a 2012 Cannondale SL3 26er and this bike has blown that thing out of the water so far.

Weaknesses:    No problems yet. Fork could have a bit more travel but I'm happy for what I'm using it for.

Bottom Line:
Solid bike for beginner or intermediate riders. I'm sure I will upgrade components eventually but only if they break. Very happy with my purchase. Will post again when I have more time on the bike.

Submitted by Hey, wait up! a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2013

Strengths:    Frame is bomb proof
decent components for entry level
29er=goat

Weaknesses:    stock parts are heavy

Bottom Line:
great starter point- bought the bike as a demo from the LBS. since then have replaced all stock parts except the seat clamp. this frame is bomb proof and can be ridden hard. spend the money where it counts, and save weight and add durability. 4 years and tons of miles later i take pride in knowing i have a custom billy goat that also does pretty damn good on the descent all things considered.

Favorite Trail:   San Lee

Duration Product Used:   2+ years

Purchased At:   Bike Cycles- ILM

Similar Products Used:   trek hardtail

Bike Setup:   rockhopper comp 29er frame
Mavic c29ssmax tubeless wheels
Rubena Kratos tires
1x9 drivetrain (x7 shifter)
Raceface SS crankset w/ MRP guide
Shimano SLX hydro brakes
Fox f29 fork 100mm
thomson cockpit
Easton carbon bars with lizardskin LO grips

Submitted by Lance Armstrong a Racer

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2012

Strengths:    Durable, High Performance vs. Cost

Weaknesses:    Sluggishness up hills, Weight

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike to begin riding 29 on. It taught me a lot, and made me faster. It was my first real race bike. The plushness of the RockShox fork felt great. The Hydraulic Discs were amazing. However let me break it down quite simply:
1: All components excluding brakes were high enough quality to stand up to racing and give clean performance throughout

2: The Juicy 3's made some awful noise and made the whole bike rattle. LBS couldn't fix and was covered to get Shimano M505 brakes under warranty-definitely a plus!

3: The bike was very sluggish up hills and felt as if the brakes were on the whole time!

4: Great handling and geometry

Overall a good bike for the value, excellent base to learn 29 on and durable enough to race hard. My first real race bike will always have a special place in my heart-nice n' sentimental!

Duration Product Used:   6 Months

Purchased At:   Liberty! Bicycles

Bike Setup:   Stock except Shimano m505 Brakes

Submitted by vic

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2012

Strengths:    Great bike! I own an '12 and its pretty good, the geometry at this price point is the best value. Not super heavy.

Weaknesses:    Front FORK!

Bottom Line:
overall i am pretty confident on this bike. Love the tires, the hydra brakes are good enough. For this price point, I cannot expect much.

Submitted by Wil

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2012

Strengths:    Great control and excellent derailleur.

Weaknesses:    Tektro Braking system, Tektro disc rotors, paddles and a cheap chain

Bottom Line:
Poor tight turning (23" frame) capabilities. Whenever we hear mineral oil is used for braking some of us might say "WOW", however it's far from the wow factor. Dust and oil don't mix. Unfortunately due to the mineral oil + ceramic brakes + rotors = disaster in the making. Spent several hours replacing the oil, cleaning the rotors from the break dust that accumulated. PAIN IN THE AS. After 60 days of ownership I had to remove the Tektro braking system. I had to make several upgrades to make this bike perform better. New chain, new paddles, Avis braking system + Avis disc rotors, new crankset, new tires with better traction. Ever since I upgraded my bike. It's a great ride. So be prepared to spend more denero to improve the true capabilities of your bike, sometimes manufacture settings may not work to your style of riding.

Submitted by Nehpets a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2012

Strengths:    Good value for the price. Light weight compared to similar level bikes.

Weaknesses:    Have a hard time cornering as tightly as I would like to. This may be due to needing an XL size frame.

Bottom Line:
Over all I am pleased with my purchase. I have had this bike a little over a year now. I have gone on long flat xc rides and done some fairly technical single track in the hills, it climbs and tracks well. I would recommend this bike to friends.

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Submitted by Matt a Racer

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2012

Strengths:    Great ride for the money. Mine is a single speed so I have no idea how the stock gear and derailer quality. I raced this in Indiana's DINO several times and could track just fine. It can keep up with bikes twice the price. Mine came with a Rock Shock Air Fork. Comes with a SRAM GXP Crank!

Weaknesses:    It is a few inches longer than necessary which means your back wheel get's caught on EVERYTHING. Sit's a tad high but I may have just order too large a frame. I'm 6'1" with longer legs and rode a 19.5"

Bottom Line:
Overall I'd recommend this bike. I'd say it's about a 4 to 4.5 out of 5. You can pick them up for like 800 used so if you're just getting serious or starting to race this is a good bike!

Favorite Trail:   Winona Lake, IN