Specialized Rockhopper LTD 29er 29er Hardtail

4.75/5 (4 Reviews)

At the top of its class, Rockhopper LTD 29er adds the final touches of a 10-speed rear drivetrain and buttery-smooth front suspension.

• Frame: Specialized M4SL fully manipulated alloy frame
  • Fork: RockShox Recon Gold 29 SL
  • Headset: Integrated 1-1/8" threadless
  • Stem: 3D forged alloy
  • Grips: Specialized Enduro

Submitted by LawrenceKS a Weekend Warrior from Lawrence, KS

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2012

Strengths:    Solid Bike. My last bike was a '99 Stumpjumper, and am pretty amazed with the next decade technology that this Rockhopper features. This is a high end bike in my eyes. The frame geometry is nimble. After a few hours of riding, I felt very comfortable pulling it through jumps and high speed cornering. As my first 29'er I like the feel over rough terrain. It's smooth and requires less effort controlling the bike then my 26 stumpy.

Weaknesses:    So far, not too much. Brakes are a little squeaky, but found heating them up helped clear the noise.

Bottom Line:
For most people's skill-set, this is by far enough bike to jam on trails. If you don't think so, go ahead and blow an extra $2000 on a carbon spesh! It's a very nice set-up for a trail riding demon.

Favorite Trail:   Lawrence Riverfront

Purchased At:   Sunflower Bike Shop

Bike Setup:   Stock with pd-m540 clipless pedals

Submitted by bmax67 a Weekend Warrior from Chicago area

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2012

Strengths:    Durability, light, low maintenance, smooth shifting

Weaknesses:    brakes squeak a bit

Bottom Line:
This was my first REAL mountain bike purchase and I'm so glad I spent the little bit extra to get the higher end components. The Shimano drivetrain has been flawless, even shifting cleanly uphill with an inexperienced rider (me) beating it up. I've taken some pretty good tumbles and have ridden in some sloppy conditions (multitrack) but everything still operates smoothly. The DT Swiss rims and Specialized Stout hubs have done a good job staying true and they keep on rolling. The Recon Gold front fork has been so simple. The remote lockout is a nice feature for someone like me who uses the bike for everything, including taking the kids to school. Also, being 5'3" and female, I was a little intimidated by the size at first. But after several rides, the bike felt very comfortable and gave me the confidence to tackle about anything on the trail. One other note: The small frame (15.5") comes with a curved downtube for a lower standover height for people with shorter legs like mine.

Favorite Trail:   Palos

Purchased At:   Pedal and Spoke Nort

Bike Setup:   stock except for carbon bars and Eggbeaters.

Submitted by stkscott a Weekend Warrior from Detroit, MI

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2011

Strengths:    I am very impressed with most aspects of the bike. I also haven't weighted it, but I think the first reviewers estimates run a little light. I would guess that it weighs 27-28lbs.

Weaknesses:    As previously described, the brakes squeaked quite a bit as I broke them in. The juicy 3's work well enough, but the noise was more of a nuisance than anything else.

Bottom Line:
I managed to find a great deal on the bike that I couldn't pass up. I'm glad I didn't. This is my first venture into the world of 29er, and I am thinking it was a good decision. The bike was a lot bigger than I was used to and initially felt a little awkward to control. However, I quickly acclimated and when I hop on it fits like a glove. I highly recommend this model for anyone that enjoys a high-quality HT, as well as a top notch 29er experience.

Purchased At:   craigslist

Bike Setup:   stock + Speedplay Drillium pedals

Submitted by domesticated a Weekend Warrior from Coeur D Alene

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2011

Strengths:    Super light, haven't weight it yet but I would honestly guess it to be around 20-25lbs. Extremely fast even with an all terrain tire. Shifts very well. Brakes are incredible, I'm 260lbs and they stop me on a dime. Low gear is strong and the high gear is a blast on downhills. Fast on pavement for commuting and fast on the trails!

Weaknesses:    The brakes have a downside, the G2 rotors are super loud when they break in. But I'm ok with that. Also under hard braking the top of the wheel seems to pull towards the fork. Could be a truing issue but I just had them trued. It isn't bad but noticeable. I got lucky, as I spent 1450, but the price for a HD that isn't a stumpjumper seems a bit high, so I'm not giving it a 5, only reason.

Bottom Line:
If you have some money to spend, cant afford a stumpjumper, and are a HD fanatic, this is the bike to buy period. It's inspirational to ride.

Favorite Trail:   ID

Purchased At:   Two Wheeler Dealer

Similar Products Used:   Multiple generations of Rockhoppers. Kona HD's and FS bikes.

Bike Setup:   SPD pedals, front and rear fenders.

Custom bike buy or 2011 specialized rockhopper ltd 29er?

I'm debating between these two bikes, someone is selling the custom build locally so I could buy it... Please give me your thoughts on buying the new late model 2011 specialized rockhopper ltd 29er vs a used bike with the following specs below. I am too much of a noob to know how these component ... Read More »

Rockhopper LTD 29er

In my never ending search to spend money I spied a 2011 Rockhopper LTD 29er. Specialized has discontinued this model. Did the 2012 Rockhopper Comp replace it or the Carve series. I seems like a nice bike. Retail was close to $1,800 I've seen them closer to the $1,000 - $1,200 mark.Read More »

Rockhopper 29er...... Pro or LTD??

I'm in the market for my first 'real mountain bike', and I think I've narrowed it down to a Specialized Rockhopper 29er. However, I'm struggling with deciding between the Pro and the LTD. The LTD is definitely more expensive, but it has a slightly better fork with remote lockout, components are ba ... Read More »