Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er 29er Hardtail

3.92/5 (13 Reviews)

Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29: The Rockhopper is a time-tested XC hardtail built for cruising fire roads and slicing through singletrack. Equipped with Avid Elixir 1 hydraulic disc brakes and a custom-tuned SR Suntour suspension fork...

Submitted by Jeff

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2013

Strengths:    Frame Geometry
Maneuverability
Dependability

Weaknesses:    Weight
Low-end components

Bottom Line:
For this price range, the bike is phenomenal. I purchased mine in 2009 with expectations of an intermediate model. It has handled Upstate NY's varied conditions with ease, and no problems have arisen.

Specialized really put some thought into the frame. It's strong, a great fit, and incredibly maneuverable with the 29" tires. It's not terribly heavy, though there's always room for improvement. I have modified most of the components through time, but not due to failure. Just upgrades.

A few upgrades to consider:
- Pedals. They include a cheap set. Don't sell yourself short.
- Tires. As with most models, they leave the shop with less than desirable rubber. With that said, my original set lasted 3.5 years.
- The bars are wide. I took a half inch off each side. Makes a world of difference.
- You can live with the crankset. Mine needs replacement after 4 years of heavy use.

Submitted by Brandon Durham a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2013

Strengths:    Tough frame
Hydraulic Brakes

Weaknesses:    Pedals are garbage

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike as an upgrade from a Gary Fisher Advance 26". The bike is awesome. Rides great and is much more agile and maneuverable than expected. I swapped the pedals to VP-001s before I even left the shop. I do a lot of hike and bike and I have had no problems throwing it up on my shoulder to navigate some nasty unrideable terrain. I am very pleased with this bike. I am 6'1" 180 lbs and I bought a Large. I couldn't ask for a better fit. I would however like a narrower set of bars. They seem really wide for me. I had read a couple of bad reviews on the fork but I really like the ride and adjustability and lock out of the fork.

Purchased At:   Bicycle Station Chey

Bike Setup:   All stock except:
VP pedals (definitely recommend)

Submitted by Mike a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2013

Strengths:    Geometry, Minor Details,

Weaknesses:    Tires, Pedals,

Bottom Line:
I purchased this after 10+ years of being out of the saddle, and I've put about 6 hours on it thus far. I was skeptical about it at first, as my previous bike had a full XT set-up and I didn't think that the componentry of this bike would be very good, but I was very much wrong. I love the three-way shifting. I am super impressed with Specialized's geometry and the overall rideability of the bicycle. I'm not super thrilled about their choice of tires for the bike, I found them packed with mud and slipping over wet rocks, but paired with presta valves made the on trail adjustments a lot simpler. (I really wish I would have figured that out back in the day!) I feel that the brakes could be improved, but that may just be a minor adjustment. The saddle is comfy, not the best, but I figure that my butt is going to be sore anytime that I ride a bike. I am quite pleased with the XC28 fork, it is not the stiffest, but I have yet to be worried about it and I love the number of adjustments available. Overall, I would recommend this bicycle, I think Specialized got it right with this one, and the price is very affordable.

Purchased At:   Half Link Bike Shop,

Submitted by SMRacer30 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2013

Strengths:    Easy climber compared to what I upgraded from. Pretty solid drivetrain for beginner to intermediate. This bike picks up speed good and is lighter than all but one other bike I tested in the price range. I ride mostly flat trails/ single track and road use. 29er is great...my brother just bought a 2012 Cannondale SL3 26er and this bike has blown that thing out of the water so far.

Weaknesses:    No problems yet. Fork could have a bit more travel but I'm happy for what I'm using it for.

Bottom Line:
Solid bike for beginner or intermediate riders. I'm sure I will upgrade components eventually but only if they break. Very happy with my purchase. Will post again when I have more time on the bike.

Submitted by Hey, wait up! a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2013

Strengths:    Frame is bomb proof
decent components for entry level
29er=goat

Weaknesses:    stock parts are heavy

Bottom Line:
great starter point- bought the bike as a demo from the LBS. since then have replaced all stock parts except the seat clamp. this frame is bomb proof and can be ridden hard. spend the money where it counts, and save weight and add durability. 4 years and tons of miles later i take pride in knowing i have a custom billy goat that also does pretty damn good on the descent all things considered.

Favorite Trail:   San Lee

Duration Product Used:   2+ years

Purchased At:   Bike Cycles- ILM

Similar Products Used:   trek hardtail

Bike Setup:   rockhopper comp 29er frame
Mavic c29ssmax tubeless wheels
Rubena Kratos tires
1x9 drivetrain (x7 shifter)
Raceface SS crankset w/ MRP guide
Shimano SLX hydro brakes
Fox f29 fork 100mm
thomson cockpit
Easton carbon bars with lizardskin LO grips

Submitted by roycefromrc a Weekend Warrior from rapid city,south dakota,USA

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2012

Strengths:    stiff frame.hydro brakes,

Weaknesses:    cheap low end saddle,pedals and grips. sfiff frame,abrasive ride.suntour fork

Bottom Line:
I bougt the bike used ever so slightly for half price. so for my $550 bucks it was a good buy.I have been out of biking for a few years and have sold my cannondale jekyll and the giant 980 carbon.after that quality of bikes its a little disappointing to have tektro brahes and low end shimano parts.overall the 29er is fun to ride on the street and very light trail duty.I do plan on riding it for a year before going back to a high end full suspension,but it should be okay for a year.The frame is very upgradable with replaceable dropouts.

Favorite Trail:   centennial

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   gary fischer hoo-koo-e-koo

Submitted by jroliveri a Cross Country Rider from Abington, MA USA

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2012

Strengths:    Solid bike for a beginner.

Weaknesses:    The fork and tires could be upgraded.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is the Rockhopper Comp 29er is a great bike for beginners to intermediate riders. The front fork and stock tires could be replaced but for the beginner they will do. Overall it's a great ride here in the north east.

Favorite Trail:   Wompatuct

Purchased At:   Bike Barn Whitman

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Russell a Weekend Warrior from Flowery Branch GA USA

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2012

Strengths:    great tires and great price

Weaknesses:    low end fork

Bottom Line:
This is my first 29er and I love it, shifts well and had performed well at everything I have thrown at it. The front suspension could use a little more travel and the chain has come off a couple of times but after an adjustment it seems fine. Great entry level bike for the money

Favorite Trail:   chicopee

Purchased At:   adventure cycle

Similar Products Used:   cannondale SL 2

Submitted by ArmorOfGod a Cross Country Rider from Topeka, KS

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2011

Strengths:    29er... and that's about it.

Weaknesses:    Components and ride quality.

Bottom Line:
Ok, to be 100% honest, I've never owned this bike. My buddy bought this bike to get into riding with me. I own an Epic Comp 29er and he just went out and got something in his price range with 29er wheels. This bike fit the bill and I thought it would hold up better for a Specialized. After every ride he had problems. Everything from his front suspension to his rear derailleur, I was helping him readjust or repair things. He took it to the LBS many times to have them get things adjusted and it would work good for a while then crap out again. Shifting issues, chain issues, tire issues, and brake issues... it just seemed like a mess. He upgraded to a Rockhopper about 5 months later and is a lot happier. About 2 months ago, as I was picking my Epic up for service, I saw another guy rolling another Hardrock 29er to the service area and was complaining about all the issues my buddy has had. My opinion would be to take this bike on light trails and no big drops. Street and light trail is what this bike was meant to do. Anymore than that, look elsewhere.

Purchased At:   Capps Bike Shop

Submitted by Call_me_Tom a Weekend Warrior from SoCal

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2011

Strengths:    Coming from my previous fork on my 2008 RH Disc this fork is a dream. I also had a lot of brake squeal on the '08 RH (mech brakes) that I no longer have on this bike.

Weaknesses:    It's heavy & slower then the 26" RH to get it going from a stop. I also found that climbs were more difficult then on the 26" RH. The peddles are a joke like many stock peddles & were replaced with clipless before I even took delivery. I also replaced the saddle but I may return back to it in time to give it another shot.

Bottom Line:
For the price, the frame & all of the components can't be beat. Remember, you want to spend your cash on the frame & upgrade the components as they break. The stock components are to get you going, not keep you going.

Favorite Trail:   Aliso Canyon