Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 29er 29er Hardtail

3.84/5 (56 Reviews)

Smooth front suspension, better brakes, and double-walled 29" alloy wheels make the Hardrock Sport Disc even better prepared for mountain trails and urban jungles.
  • Frame: Specialized A1 Premium Aluminum
  • Fork: SR Suntour SF10-NVX-MLO-700C-80, 80mm
  • Headset: 1-1/8" threadless, loose ball
  • Stem: 3D forged alloy, 10 degree rise, 25.4mm clamp
  • Cassette: SRAM PG-820, 8-speed, 11-32t

Submitted by Em a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2014

Strengths:    Great Brakes. Solid Frame. Nice shifting. Light.

Weaknesses:    Weak Fork. Cheap Pedals? Slick Tires?

Bottom Line:
2014 model. Bought it for entry level beyond department store quality. Been an on and off mountain/urban biker, maybe lower-advanced level for quite a few years but never had anything better than a cheap cheap bike.

Test drove several in the $5-700 range. This was definitely worth paying the higher end of that, $650ish. Rode the "advanced" single track the other day and it performed as well as could be expected. I'm and intermediate to advanced range rider. I wasn't expecting to get $3000 bike type performance, but this is about how it went:

Everything was solid but the fork, which that trail rattled quite well through the faster parts and with the tires bouncing pretty hard over tree roots. But it, combined with the fat tires, helped the bike clear log piles and tree trunks and even stairs really really well. As long as the front sprocket clears, it'll roll right over obstacles. If the tires would keep traction, you could hit a staircase head on and ride right up with little shock. But, being that I do urban biking too, I'm not sure I'd want knobbier tires and sacrificing the speed. The only time my foot ever came off the pedals was when I was bounced that way. But I do agree with most that for a $600+ bike, they could've put better than $2 pedals on it.

It's much faster than most of the bikes I compared. Good acceleration, speed, and climbing power in mid gears without all sorts of shifting required. Dual hydraulic brakes in that price range are good and very quick to slow you down. Lighter in weight than most others compared. Handles really well. Rolls and cruises really well.

Again, the pedals could certainly be better. The fork isn't good enough for the rest of the bike. Though I don't want knobbier tires, they should've put the 2.2, not 2.0 (is that inches wide?) tires for a little bit of traction compensation.

Overall, if you're looking for a bike under $700, I highly recommend it. If you can afford a bit more, get the Hardrock, but get one with a real fork. This bike will certainly be enough to get me back in the game, but I'll personally be looking to upgrade to full suspension when I can.

Alright, that's enough. See ya on the trails.

Favorite Trail:   so far Falls Lake South Loop

Duration Product Used:   3 weeks

Purchased At:   The Bicycle Chain, R

Similar Products Used:   Trek X-Calibur 4, Diamondback Somethingorother, GT Karakoram, Giant Wha'chamacallit.

Bike Setup:   What's this mean? Mine is stock.

Submitted by Jacek a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2013

Strengths:    - big wheels
- brakes
- modern cockpit (short stem, relatively wide handlebar)
- nice painting

Weaknesses:    - front fork
- tires
- pedals

Bottom Line:
I totally agree with the previous reviewer, it's a great bike for the money and all its weaknesses are totally forgettable when you count the money you have left in your pocket. It's meant to be ridden on pathed trails (Spec says it's recreational), and in such environment it behaves beautifully. Things get worse when the ground gets loose or you want to make turns at speed, as the tires have shallow knobs and the ones on the side looks the same as the ones in center. The fork has a very stiff spring, I am 160 lbs and could not get it to bottom out anywhere, also on small jumps (you don't want to make bigger ones on this bike). Pedals are cheap, but it's good, given everyone now has his preferred set - clip in or platform.

Overall, it's one of the best bikes I've ridden for the money. I also own a carbon Enduro 2012, S-works roubaix and a Demo, so this condition - for the money - is very important :)

Favorite Trail:   for this bike - Giant Salamander, El Corte de Madera

Duration Product Used:   2 days

Purchased At:   craigslist

Similar Products Used:   lots of old, hartail bikes

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Josh C a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2013

Strengths:    Brakes
Seat
Shifting
29in wheels

Weaknesses:    Tires
Pedals

Bottom Line:
Im a beginner mountian biker I got into the sport last year when I was riding a tiny k2 zed. This year (2013) I decided to upgrade. I was looking for an affordable enrty level bike for a teenager (500$ range) that i could ride around the neigborhood but also take to the trails and get good results out of it. i chose the specialized hr disc 29 over the trek wahoo 29 and the giant revel 29r 0. When I took the bike for a test ride the first thing that really stood out to me was the brakes. The disc brakes although are not hydraulic, they are really reponsive and will still stop me on a dime. The second thing I noticed was the shifters. The trigger shifters allow you to fly through gears very quickly. I really like the shimano setup where unlike the SRAM you use your pointer finger and your thumb to up-shift /downshift instead of using your thumb for both. It was also a nice addition to have 24 gears instead of 21. On the trails the big 29 inch wheels run over everything with ease. The bike is a little slow to get up to speed but really hauls ass once you got it going. The tires are average. They give minimal grip enless on hard packed dirt. I really lean into my tires during corners expecting them to hold thier grip but a lot of the time they would just slip out from underneath me. Once you are adjusted to the bike though it is easy to ride around. Another downside is the pedals. They are those crappy plastic Walmart pedals. I highly suggest getting aftermarket pedals. The seat isn't bad, it's pretty squishy and has quick adjustments so you can position it where you want it on the fly. The grips on the handle bars are nice and flexible but will rotate and twist around the handle bars. I would suggest spraying them with hairspray or invest in some locking grips. The fork is also average. It is very stiff (Doesn't lock out). Me being about 150 lbs can only move the shock when I really lean into it. As I ride though it has been loosening up. Lastly the frame. The frame is pretty heavy, but is also sturdy. The only real downsides to the frame besides being heavy is the plastic piece that covers the gears (which I snapped) and the bar under the chain is very beat up. But now I'm just getting picky. Overall the bike is amazing. If you are new mountian biking like me or want to start, go buy this bike. It is a perfect affordable bike that you won't be disappointed with.

Favorite Trail:   Pinchot state park

Purchased At:   Main line cycles (Na

Submitted by erickxcr a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2013

Strengths:    Awesome entry level bike ! Not your basic wal-mart huffy or mongoose !

Weaknesses:    Well nuttin really ! If you compare apples to apples !
For a beginner it is perfect, if you decide to go single track then some upgrades are in order, first tires then pedals and so on !

Bottom Line:
First some about me, i am a total noob, 5'6" and 168 lbs. And somewhat out of shape ! Lol ! My first ever single track was this past weekend and did well on a beginners track. I did have an experienced guide showing me the way so i new where i was going. My bike never once gave me an issue. Only thing was the stock fast trak tires are adequate but not intended for single track use, so my first upgrade will be tires for that purpose. And as long as the bike is fitted to your body it is a great beginners bike. Upgrading components really depend on you as you progress, for me i will not unless anything breaks. But if i get bitten really hard by this hobby I know what i will want and that will be a higher level bike and it will definitely be a specialized !

Favorite Trail:   just starting out so only have tried one.

Duration Product Used:   1 month

Purchased At:   bike works orlando

Submitted by KJ a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2013

Strengths:    Stealth black paint

Weaknesses:    Wheels

Bottom Line:
Purchased bike and peeled off green stickers. Dumped the wheels for a set of Stan's Arch factory wheels. Added a couple of Specialized "The Captain 2.0 r, 2.2 f" tires and have been very happy.

I owned a Specialized Epic in the past and it was great. I sold that bike and am just as happy with my current set up. If the components are adjusted properly you can beat the heck out of them.

One issue I had was a squeaky front fork. I removed, cleaned, and rubbed Valvoline axle/packing grease on the forks moving parts and the squeak has not returned.

Great investment.

Tip: learn basic maintenance skills for cycling and you will discover that a properly tuned entry bike rides like an upper end rig. Unless you have the cash ($3000 + for high end) this is a worthy ride.

Favorite Trail:   CH state park

Duration Product Used:   2 years

Bike Setup:   Stan's Arch wheels with Specialized Captain's.

Submitted by bigdaddyss a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2012

Strengths:    The 2013 Hardrock is a a solid frame. Hydraulic brakes are great for this price point. 29er wheels are great.

Weaknesses:    Bike is heavy. Tires are suitable.

Bottom Line:
Overall I love this bike. I began riding in early 2012 and I feel this frame is very solid and stable. I love the 29" wheels compared to my previous bike (Trek 820). The addition of the hydraulic brakes at this price point it makes the bikes value rating go up. So far I have had very positive experience with this bike. I will say that the bike feels heavy, but that could be in part to the 23" frame. I ride mainly on the road for fitness with trail riding on the weekends and I feel it is suited well for this type of buyer.

Favorite Trail:   Oxford

Duration Product Used:   1 Month

Similar Products Used:   Trek 820

Submitted by jkrispies a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2012

Strengths:    Strong as an ox...

Weaknesses:    ...but as heavy as an ox. Altius front derailleur had to be replaced almost immediately, along with the crappy Fast Trak tires

Bottom Line:
This Hardrock was my "first real bike" after an ancient Giant rigid 26er that I suffered on for awhile. I picked up my Hardrock used yet in nearly new condition at about a 50% cost savings; I'd recommend buying this bike used because it's built very strong and would be hard to abuse to the breaking point. When I purchased it, I was a newbie mountain biker who had enough experience to know that I wanted a better-than-K-Mart quality bike but wasn't sure if I was going to get into it enough to warrant spending big bucks on a high end ride. This is the perfect choice for that sort of rider. 1500 miles (and 30 pounds) later, I found myself pushing the bike to its limit and lost sleep over whether or not I should spend money on upgrades or fork out for a new bike altogether. Today I finally decided to pull the trigger on a full suspension replacement, not because the hardtail is wanting but because I'm coming off a back surgery and figured I'd better start treating my body appropriately. I'd say that this bike's target market is for folks who spend 80% of their time on pavement and 20% of their time on dirt. I'm just the opposite, but the bike has performed admirably, and I'm selling it for close to what I paid for it. For the record, I spent a week on a $3800 full suspension Giant AnthemX 29er 0 demo bike, which beat my Strava times that I'd recorded on the Hardrock; within a month of being back on the Hardrock, I'd beaten every one of the Giant's times as well-- so this bike can hang. I've also ridden this bike from the top of Mammoth Mountain down to the Village. Having said that, I really wouldn't choose this bike for the most technical of terrain, which is why I'm upgrading to a new bike that costs 3x more than this Hardrock did new. Again, for the beginner rider who is just getting into riding, especially cross-country style riding, this is nice "gateway" bike, especially if you can pick it up used.

Duration Product Used:   1500 Miles

Purchased At:   Used

Bike Setup:   Ghetto Tubeless and Kenda Kharmas, upgraded to a Deore front derailleur, otherwise stock

Submitted by hambikenut a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2012

Strengths:    Affordable entry level all-purpose bike. Easy shifting up or down, front or rear. Tough frame that is worth keeping and up grading components as $ and experience allow. Suspension fork is usable, but no "stump-jumping" etc -- come on folks, it only costs $580.00 after all (non-sport).

Weaknesses:    Non-hydraulic disk brakes are a little weak, but usable on the non-sport version. Haven't tried the hydraulic on the sport.

Bottom Line:
After getting back into riding after a 15 year break from regular riding and good bikes, this bike is a great improvement over the department store junk I've been attempting to ride and destroy. I ended up buying one for me (48yrs old) and one for my 15 yr-old daughter. Yes, it could be improved, but not for the $580.00 it costs retail. I love the 29 inch wheels and haven't had the problem other road bike riders are saying about the hard pedaling required on pavement, but coming from a "tank" anything is easier. The bikes will be used combination road and dirt bike wider trails and limited single track, Maybe even for some light touring. Much more comfortable than my old Giant CroMo framed touring bike with index shifting and 700mm X 23c tires, and much more flexible in usage (just try riding a narrow tire on a caliche dirt road at any speed over a walk). The more upright riding position takes the pressure off my older shoulders and wrists. I will be upgrading the pedals, but I've done that on every bike I've owned -- not a problem, personally I prefer to buy a bike with cheaper throw-away pedals instead of trying to find a buyer for the pedals I'm going to replace anyway. Really good bikes don't even come with pedals...

Purchased At:   one in Austin and on

Submitted by isaac1384

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2012

Strengths:    29" wheels roll over everything, decent components for a beginner, seems like a good bike to upgrade as skills progress.

Weaknesses:    Somewhat heavy, takes some tuning to get right at first.components could definitely use an upgrade.

Bottom Line:
A great bike for a beginner or someone getting back in to the sport like myself. I use it to commute to and from work occassionally, but most enjoy riding it on the trails here in central Maryland. The bike is big and sturdy enough for a guy like me (6'1", 215lbs). The components are able to hold up t my style of riding. I like to push myself, although I am not the most technical or smooth rider yet. It takes a little bit of a beating. Some of the parts on this bike I can tell I already want to upgrade, but over all it is a pretty rider friendly and amateur friendly bike, especially for someone who doesnt have the largest budget.

Submitted by trlnub a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2012

Strengths:    Durable, performs well on basic mountain trails, good hardware for the money, Solid entry level mountain bike if you really want to ride off road. Stock tires decent for basic moutain trials and also work for rolling around on pavement, albeit with somewhat heavy pedaling.

Weaknesses:    Fairly heavy, front wheel little out of true after one mountain ride, mediocre on open road even with slicks, rare occasion chain seems to skip a tooth on sprocket when taking off. I wouldn't recommend it for pavement commuting, like 5 miles.

Bottom Line:
I've ridden this bike pretty much stock on basic mountain trails as a newbie mountain biker, but experienced road biker. It did pretty well in dry weather. Took me a while to figure out how to adjust up the BB5 brakes, but it's easy now. Set the calipers, then occasionally adjust inboard, outboard pads. I mostly ride streets though, prolly need more adjust with lots moutain rides.
I wouldn't recommend this bike if you're expecting a good pavement commuter, cause IMO, it's not very good at it. I have a rocket road bike, '07 Spesh roubaix expert which rolls very fast, very, very smooth. Cruise 20 mph into headwind. The Hardrock with 700 x 38c Infinity slicks and thornproof tube up front ... feels sort of sluggish on the open road. I'd hate to commute even 3 miles on it, cause I like efficient road bikes. If you want to pedal hard on road, this bike is for you. IMO, I wouldn't put 700 x 25 or 28 tires on this Hardrock because the front sprockets are too small and it would look awkward anyway.
I will be looking to replace this bike with likely a Sirrus commuter bike, in time as given circumstances, I won't be mountain biking much. Shouldn't have bought a mountain bike, but the store did suggest it would double as a good commuter with slicks to which I now disagree.

Favorite Trail:   Redwood regional park

Purchased At:   Cyclepath Hayward

Bike Setup:   700 x 38c Specialized Infinity Armadillo tires, front thornproof tube, Spesh pro-set stem at 16 deg up, 1" riser 31.8 bars cut to 640mm width, Ergon GP1 grips, Salsa bolt-on seat collar, Serfas E-gel saddle, Niterider Lumina 350 headlight.

Submitted by Dylan a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2012

Strengths:    the bike rolls over anything and great for trails or street. solid biek to start out on and learn.

Weaknesses:    the gears are not solid, the forks are terrible (mine snaped clean in half after a month of riding), im not a pro but i can spot flaws when i see them and it seemed they cut corners when making this bike.

Bottom Line:
The hardrock is a great bike when starting out and has great qualitys but cant compete when used by upper level riders. it has to many cheap qualitys

Favorite Trail:   State patrol

Purchased At:   markees

Submitted by Bill

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2012

Strengths:    rolls over rocks and roots well. brakes work well. Wheels are very strong. frame is very sturdy and feels good for someone over 6'1" and 250 lbs.

Weaknesses:    Had a little brake fade on downhills and the 29er is a not as nimble in tight corners. The tires could be a bit better for trails but it is great on roads and hardpack. The drivetrain could probably be upgraded.

Bottom Line:
I really enjoy this bike. For the price I paid, its been tough and handles well. This bike sees a lot of road travel as a commuter and also several hours of trail riding on the weekends and has handled my size very well. After taking it on some the downhill trails in Utah, I want to get a full suspension bike now.

Submitted by SerJay311 a Racer

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2012

Strengths:    Very fast rolling. Rides over roots, stumps, small rocks, etc. with ease. Shifting is very smooth and the hydraulic disc brakes can stop on a dime. Black / blue / orange color scheme and graphics look really nice.

Weaknesses:    Stock tires and pedals are awful for a bike like this. The lock-out fork has immediate functionality issues. If you're not used to a 29" bike, it will be a tough change to adapt to and you will be compromising precision in turning, making it tough if you do a fair amount of riding in the woods.

Bottom Line:
THIS IS FOR THE NEW 2013 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 29er Model** (Black / Blue / Orange)

Less than one week into owning/riding the bike, I am having some chain issues. The chain issue does not occur under heavy peddling, rather it pops up frequently if you jump (term used very lightly) or hop around at all, and has come off the crank completely twice from hard (again, term used lightly) jumps. I don't know enough to speculate on why or how to alleviate this issue.

Before I go further, I should first explain my style of riding; I would say I am a very aggressive & fast rider. I like the ability to ride 20-30 miles on pavement at a time and, with the same bike, take it on advanced off-road / woods trails, which could include steep incline and decline hills and riding over roots and rocks. I am by no means a technical expert, but I've been riding almost every day for the last couple of years, so I have a solid grasp on the fundamental areas of functionality. I use this as a daily commuter to work (2-3 miles) and at the end of the day I use it as my fitness machine.

I come from years of using a 26" (2001 Haro 8.1 escape to be specific) and for those who are similar, a 29" will probably take most some serious getting used to, as I'm struggling with the same. I had to add side handles so I could regain the leaning forward feel and have the option of focusing on my calves when pedaling. Hardrock's frame almost forces you to pedal in an upright position. The Hardrock is also a little heavier, compared to my previous bike.

Lock-out Fork: While the switch to lock out the front shocks is easy to reach while riding, it does not actually allow you to do so while you're moving or putting any pressure down. What happened with me is when I tried to lock it out while riding, instead of locking it out the switch knob spun around so now it's backwards and, while it's still functional, it only appears in a 'red' lock sign (it normally switches between green & red). Also, be sure not to slam down while you are locked out, otherwise it will slip and mine does not lock out completely now (probably my fault).

The 29" wheel also gives up some important precision turning and I'm finding that I'm hitting my foot on the front tire during tight radius turns (might be an adaptation issue). I've found out immediately that to do any serious off-roading, you will need to upgrade your tires and pedals as they are VERY slick. The tread on the stock tires are minimal, at best, and the stock pedals are a generic plastic.

On the positive, it takes very little effort to get this thing rolling fast. and, once it does, its momentum is easy to maintain. It shifts beautifully and the hydraulic disc brakes stop on a dime.

All in all, from the heavy research I've done, this bike comes in at a great value for the components included. On paper, this should be a perfect fit for my riding style and needs. My close friends and family who are experienced riders, not only recommended Specialized, but this series, for the same reasons.

Unfortunately, I might look to sell and go back to a 26" and a frame/stem that I am more comfortable with. Feel free to offer up suggestions, especially in the specialized family. Or, if you're interested in buying it, let me know. I've used it for 3 days total.

Similar Products Used:   2001 Haro 8.1 Escape

Submitted by Robert Thomson a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2012

Strengths:    entry level price for a 29er bike. great looks, I actually bought the cheaper (not sport) model, the very basic 29er disc bike

Weaknesses:    you pay for what you get, SR Suntour shock, mechanical disc brakes and Sram doesn't even list X3 on their own web page, what's that tell ya? Use common sense when rating the bike

Bottom Line:
I put over 120 kilometers on this bike each week. I commute to work 10kms each way and also fitted the bike with a Polisport baby carrier for my 2 year old son. I push my bike hard off road. My outgoing bike is a 26" wheeled Stumpjumper from Specialized. I literally parked the Stumpy when I got the 29er because I am hooked on the bigger wheels. BTW the stumpy is up for sale :) 2013 29er stumpy for me next season!

The bike is what you pay for. I had hydraulic Elixer 5's in my parts bin at home that are black and white, so match the black and white bike. I figured since I was going to winter ride it, I'd get the cheapest shock and buy a Fox for summer, the SR Suntour does not work like a much more expensive shock, but hey, a Fox is more than the whole bike cost... use your brain.

The brake change should be a no brainer, I mean the Elixers out preform the Tektros any day. As well, later I put on 203mm discs. It brakes like a 26" wheel bike now, no problem scrubbing off speed. i'd strongly recommend any 29er rider to put 203mm discs on their bike, much more control.

I'd recommend this bike to anyone. Depending on your riding style, you could use for some upgrades, but before I swapped anything, I rode it 40+ kms around the city and found it to be adequate for what it is.

The tires provide little grip when you get into the slick stuff, but are fast for paved trails or hard packed, so there's a compromise. A more aggressive tire is simply not going to be as fast on the pavement. that said, I can climb Thunder Bay's Hillcrest Park straight up the steepest section with the stock tires, a product of more traction because of the wheel diameter. They slide when pushed through corners off road (yes off road every day it's not raining on the way to and from the office, the trail is in my way).

Hand grips/seat are fine. the stem/handlebar is surprisingly heavy, I swapped them out too.
Stock plastic pedals are embarrassing, so they're gone and switching to an XT crank will save you a full pound. (I am not joking, crank + bb and stock pedals = 4lbs, XT with DX shimano pedals + external bb = 3lbs)

My only gripe with the bike, after factoring in that it is the cheapest 29er offering, is the basement bike comes with 7-speed stuff, so I am having to change the free hub to upgrade to 3x9. I built a second set of wheels for summer and the stock will be winters, still going with 9 at the rear once a free hub is found for winter. they won't admit what hub they put on this model, which is strange, but it looks like a Formula unit.

Otherwise, for the price, the Trek Mamba was a bike I considered, but I have ridden Specialized for a number of years and the customer service has always been great.

Favorite Trail:   Mt Werk, Victoria BC