Singular Swift 29er Hardtail

4.56/5 (16 Reviews)

The core of the Singular range – a 29” wheeled steel mountain bike frameset for the discerning enthusiast.

• Mountain frame for 29” wheels
  • Eccentric bottom bracket insert
  • Brake and gear cable guides
  • Reynolds 520 steel fork

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Jaybo a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2013

Strengths:    Looks
    Ride quality with big tires
    Just fun to ride

Weaknesses:    Heavy

Bottom Line:
    This bike is my favorite bike among my bikes. It has been used as a cyclocross bike, geared bike, and single speed. Sure it is bit flexy, chunky due to heavy chromoly, and all that but it handles incredibly well. Great bike! Nothing like riding single track on a SS steel bike. Heavenly!

I would give it 4 stars but for the cheap price I can't be too upset about the old school 1'1/8 headtube and more inexpensive steel used. Great bike.

Favorite Trail:   Post Canyon

Duration Product Used:   2 years

Purchased At:   Sellwood Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Lots of steel

Bike Setup:   Thomson seat post and stem. Shimano system wheels. Single speed with Reba fork.

Submitted by Mgersib a Racer

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2013

Strengths:    Ride quality, handling, fit, value, classic looks, paint quality.

Weaknesses:    Head tube is a bit long in the large size, but not terribly so.

Bottom Line:
    I am positively smitten with my Swift. After spending several seasons on nice Ti hardtails, a return to steel has been a great experience. The Swift feels fast under pedal, but the handling is confident and stable. It easily copes with a wide variety of trail conditions, from smooth, fast and twisty, to rough and rocky, with little drama. It's a great partner to take to the trail.

Similar Products Used:   Salsa Ti El Mariachi, Singular Gryphon, Salsa Ti Fargo

Bike Setup:   Mavic CrossMax wheelset, Fox F29 fork, King headset, Shimano drivetrain (XTR M-952), Salsa bar/stem, Thomson seatpost, WTB saddle, ESI grips, Time pedals

Submitted by ThreeD a Cross Country Rider from Attleboro,MA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2012

Strengths:    1. Looks, it is a very nice looking bike. I love the color. 2. The feel, it is the first all steel bike frame I've ever owned and wish that I hadn't of waited so long to get one. The bike is just a joy to ride and it seems to disappear underneath me when I'm on the trail. I've had people tell me that I ride the bike really well and that it fits me to a tee. It is a large and I'm 6'0" tall and plan on getting another frame to build up geared.

Weaknesses:    I can't think of any.

Bottom Line:
    Bottom line is....I'd recommend this bike to anyone who wants a ride that is comfortable, cranks up hill, handles the downhills with confidence and is just a great looking bike.

Favorite Trail:   All of them

Purchased At:   The Prairie Peddler

Bike Setup:   It is set up as a single speed, fully rigid. I've got Ragley Carnigie handlebars, Phil Wood Hubs, Thudbuster Long travel seatpost.

Submitted by tylerschwirtz a Cross Country Rider from Colorado

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2011

Strengths:    Rides great, looks great, didn't cost too much!

Weaknesses:    None so far, after riding a 40 lbs+ DH beast, my Swift feels like a feather

Bottom Line:
    I love this bike! it handles better and climbs better than my 26" FS and does everything better than my 26" HT. It smooths out small stuff on the trail, rolls off larger obstacles, and is always a great ride!

I'm not sure if I'll stick with the SS setup but will keep this bike for a long time.

I have definitely recommended this bike to others.

The only issue I had was in ordering the frame. The Prairie Peddler took forEVER! He kept telling me he was about to ship the frame but it took over 3 weeks after he charged me and multiple emails and phone calls before it was even sent.

Overall, excellent bike, substandard customer service from distributor.

Favorite Trail:   Blue Sky

Purchased At:   Prairie Peddler (by

Similar Products Used:   This is my first 29, haven't rode rigid since my Trek 820

Bike Setup:   Rigid, e13 SS crank 32T, 18T with Surly spacer kit on X9 hubs with Arch Rims, Elixir 5s, Salsa Moto Ace 17degree sweep, Brooks B17 saddle (black)

Submitted by D Tope a Cross Country Rider from La Crosse, WI

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2011

Strengths:    Built to take a beating! Solid welds! Awesome geometry! Can be built up to any spec you desire.

Bottom Line:
    This is one of the best bikes that I have ever owned! It's super fast, roadies always take a second look when I pass them with my 2.1" tires and driving only a single speed. The steel frame is super comfortable on my 50 mile rides on the Rails to Trails Paths. This bike is an all arounder. I can not wait to put multiple gears on it so I can tackle some hilly rides. Did I mention that this bike is SUPER fast.

Purchased At:   Prairie peddler

Bike Setup:   Single speed, drop bars.

Submitted by 1x1mtb a Cross Country Rider from Atlanta, GA

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2011

Strengths:    Fantastic value for the money! I bought just the frame and built the rest up myself. What a frame this is! Every inch of it is pure quality with serious attention to detail. I use mine for everything from quick 2 hour blasts to 2 week epics and it has performed flawlessly every time. I have built up and owned many bikes through the years, but this has to be my favorite by far.

Weaknesses:    If I had to pick a weakness it would be that the frame is a tad heavy. Not super heavy for a steel frame, but those coming from years with aluminum frames will notice. For me this is not an issue because I too am a tad heavy so having a stronger frame is much appreciated when running rigid with gear! Besides, it is still lighter fully built than my S-Works Enduro!

Bottom Line:
    If your on the fence, buy it! Singular products are fantastic! They have won my devotion with a great product and wonderful costumer service. My next two bikes I have in the works are both planned to be built on Singular frames!

Purchased At:   Prairie Peddler

Similar Products Used:   Nothing recent, this is my first non-full suspension bike in a while.

Bike Setup:   Rigid single speed with On-one Midge bars, BB7 road discs, Thomson cockpit, Surly hubs laced to Halo Freedom rims (fantastic with this bike), and Surly 32t ring with White Bros 18t Trials freewheel.

Submitted by Slackadaisical a Weekend Warrior from London, England

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2011

Strengths:    The great thing about the Singular Swift is it can be run with either an internal gear hub, dérailleur or SS set up [oh look, it’s got a Phil Wood EBB!]. Cable runs are well thought out and the brake guide on the top tube is off set out of the way, to the side meaning the frame can be shouldered and you won’t mangle your undercarriage when you come off [as it were]. The pick up test left me feeling that the frame could be lighter, but the test ride was an eye opener. The bike feels really planted, seems to roll with more purpose than a 26” bike and contrary to received wisdom [being a 29er], it climbs really well. Traction over a variety of surfaces is excellent too. Rarely do I feel the bike ‘let go’ over broken, uneven surfaces. The fork is deceptively well suited to the frame. Running a 180mm disc on a long steel fork means I get pronounced brake judder, although at the same time it does a surprising good job at smoothing out the ride. I considered it a matter of time before fitting a bouncy fork, but considering the quality of ride, my style of riding [ha!] and the lighter front end, I think I’ll keep the supplied fork for the foreseeable future.

Weaknesses:    I’m going to have to nitpick here. The Swift could be a bit lighter, it would be nice to have a selection of frame colours to choose from and a lugged frame would be absolutely gorgeous. The bike would also cost a lot more. Tire clearance: can you have enough? No. You cannot! Stupid question...sorry! Currently I'm running 2.4" Racing Ralphs mated to a ZTR Flow rims. That’s a fat tire on a wide rim, which gives about 5mm of clearance either side at the back. That’s adequate. However, living in England means it’s inevitable that sooner or later you will start ploughing through sticky, gloopy mud. I really wouldn’t complain if there was a little more daylight to be seen there.

Bottom Line:
    This is quite a lot of bike for the money. Well thought out, well made and well finished, with good attention to detail, i.e. all cabling options, the seat post slot is front facing keeping a lot of mud/grit etc. out and the welds are neat. The biggest revelation has been the way the miles have effortlessly rolled by, whether on trails, sand, un-ploughed fields or road. It’s been a great bike to ride. I can’t think of anything I’d be happier with for the money. If that was not enough Sam at Singular is a lovely chap to deal with. It’s just a question of getting hold of him when he’s not racing or out the country! Other than that, the Swift’s got a proper metal badge, WAHEY!

Purchased At:   Head For The Hills

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Chameleon. The same. But different.

Bike Setup:   Rohloff Hub with external click box, Hope BB, Mono Mini’s [braided hose] & Pro II Hub, Raceface Deus XC cranks, Blackspire Big-Slim pedals, Thompson Elite stem, On-One Mary bar, Cane Creek Thudbuster, Selle SMP saddle, Chris King No thread set, ZTR Flow’s with Racing Ralphs and lots of ‘copter tape.

Submitted by mikebike357 a Cross Country Rider from Portland, ME, USA

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2011

Strengths:    Comfortable ride and predictable handling. Well made with a classic paint job. Flexible in that it can be run fully geared or single speed. Phil Wood eccentric bottom bracket high quality. Comes with a rigid fork if you choose to use it.

Weaknesses:    A little heavy. Fox F29 fork crown knobs don't clear the cable guides on downtube (only an issue if you really wreck). Cane Creek +5mm headset helps with knob clearance. Limited (only one) color choice.

Bottom Line:
    If you want a bike that is comfortable, handles well, looks awesome and doesn't say Trek, Gary Fisher, Niner, Specialized or Giant, look at Singular. The frame is a great $$ value for what you get. Probably spent around $1800 to build it up. Other frames I considered were the Surly Karate Monkey & Vassago Bandersnatch but chose the Singular on value & looks.

Similar Products Used:   Lynskey Pro29

Bike Setup:   Large Swift frame w/ Fox F29 fork. Truvativ Stylo crankset. Surly 32t chainring and 19t rear cog. Bontrager tubeless wheelset. Salsa carbon bars. Truvativ Stylo stem. Kent Eriksen Ti seatpost. Avid BB7 disc brakes.

Submitted by Clubber a Cross Country Rider from Bristol, UK

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2011

Strengths:    handling, finishing, appearance, reliable EBB

Weaknesses:    Not the lightest - not silly heavy but definitely not light either.

Bottom Line:
    Brilliant basically. The first and only 29er of the many I've tried that I actually enjoyed riding.

Full review here:

Purchased At:   Direct from Singular

Similar Products Used:   Lots of other 29ers in trying to find one I liked

Bike Setup:   RS Rebas @ 100mm travel, XC setup

Submitted by Even Flow a Cross Country Rider from Columbia, SC

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2011

Strengths:    Great ride feel, beautiful finish, overall quality

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
    I absolutely love this bike. I received it on a Friday and the next morning entered a 6hr race. I had never ridden a rigid bike nor a single speed nor a 29'r and still had a great ride. The ride feel is smooth and fast and nimble.
    I stayed pretty modest with the component set-up but it is more solid than any of the stock bikes I was looking at and has so far been problem free. Right now my set-up is at 24lbs but rides lighter than that.
    I like this bike so much that I just have no desire to ride my FS geared bike anymore.
    The welds are clean and the paint is flawless. I get a lot of positive feedback about this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Piegan NF

Purchased At:   Prarie Peddler

Similar Products Used:   Karate monkey, kona unit

Bike Setup:   Rigid, 1x9, Easton XC wheel set, Ritchey stem, bar and seat post, FSA cranks

Submitted by mkk a Cross Country Rider from CO

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2011

Strengths:    great "feel," value, aesthetics, versatility

Weaknesses:    as others have noted, it is a bit heavy

Bottom Line:
    I love this bike. It is comfortable enough to ride all day- to me, that says a lot for a HT. Climbs, handles great. Descends better than I thought it would. Setup 1x9, but I like that it easily changes to 3x9 (or 2x10), and SS. EBB has not been an issue. And, it looks super classy. 4 overall chilis because it could be lighter... but I haven't ridden a lighter HT 29er that I like riding more than this.

Similar Products Used:   Spot Longboard, Scott Scale

Bike Setup:   100mm squish fork, 1x9

Submitted by CB2 a Cross Country Rider from West Hartford

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2011

Strengths:    Quality, value, style

Weaknesses:    a little heavy, no rack mounts

Bottom Line:
    Well thought out geometry and refined handling. Came faced, chased, and frame-saved. Best rigid fork I've tried. Over the course of two New England Winters and Springs the Phil Wood EBB is still silent, and slip-free with minimal maintenance. Comes with a full compliment of housing guides in case you want to run it with gears (hose clips were included too).

Similar Products Used:   Surly Karate Monkey, Soma Juice

Bike Setup:   Usually Singlespeed rigid

Submitted by hoogie a Weekend Warrior from timaru, new zealand

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2011

Strengths:    unbelievably priced and value for money. simple and clean looks. steel!

Weaknesses:    too addictive

Bottom Line:
    can't believe how sweet this bike handles ...

Favorite Trail:   pondy new

Purchased At:   singular nz

Similar Products Used:   salsa el mariachi, gt peace 9r multi, specialised camber pro 29er

Bike Setup:   rigid, 1x9, mainly x.9/xt, x.9 hubs with stans flows rims and small block 8's

Submitted by pimpbot a Cross Country Rider from oakland, CA

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2011

Strengths:    Creak Free EBB, great geometry, Amazing finish, Buttery smooth ride, great price, even at full list price. Stiff in the right ways, yet compliant in the right ways.

Weaknesses:    A bit on the Heavy side (although, it doesn't ride like it). Front deralleur stop is in an odd place under the BB. Reba crown knobs contact down tube.

Bottom Line:
    Love. This. Bike.

My favorite bike of all time. The thing gets up and hammers when asked, but doesn't rattle your bones over the choppy stuff. It floats over rough stuff. Great handling in the ribbony singletrack.

It's a bit heavy, but you don't feel it except on the scale. The blue PC finish is outstanding, but the Singular sticker chips a bit easily. My rubber coated U-Lock managed to chip it a bit.

Outstanding customer service from Sam at Singular, too. Great guy to deal with.

Favorite Trail:   Pinecrest Peak