Sette Razzo SC 29er Hardtail

4.54/5 (13 Reviews)

Take one Sette Razzo SC X0 to the trail head. It's quick, simple, and made to help.....

Submitted by nafrod a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2013

Strengths:    CHEAP, light, flickable, stiff

Weaknesses:    small for a 19", brakes needed adjustment out of the box, little clearance for fat rear tire

Bottom Line:
I got the XO version of this bike from PricePoint for $1700 after a 15% off coupon code. I wasn't shopping for a bike but the price was unbeatable. It's a fun, fast bike, more nimble than my previous 19" Santa Cruz Highball Carbon and about as stiff. The component group is great, full XO except for X9 shifters, which I'm not crazy about. Prefer Shimano stuff. Glad they packaged a Fox Factory fork with the bike, so that the components and fork are worth more than I paid. I work at a bike shop and I got chewed out for buying from Price Point, but I'd rather get this full bike for the same price of a frame through a big name company.

Out of the box, the bike was rideable after tweaking the placement of the brakes and giving the rotors a slight truing. At six feet tall, with a longer torso than legs, it feels more like a medium or a medium/large than a true large, but that's not necessarily a drawback, because this bike feels agile and flickable. If I were taller, though, I'd be unhappy with the short top tube length.

Bottom line:
Despite it's brand name and perceived cheapness, this bike is nice as a similarly specced hardtail from a big brand. I'd be hesitant to purchase a full suspension bike from a mail order company, given the nature of unproven suspension designs, but a hardtail is, in many ways, a hardtail.

Favorite Trail:   Santa Cruz/San Jose area

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Highball, Giant XTC

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by blueskybug a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2013

Strengths:    Unreal value for what you get for your money. Ease of purchase from PP.

Weaknesses:    Not being able to demo, but if you know what you want it's pretty simple. Wheel set? Not 2x10? None of these are weaknesses really.

Bottom Line:
I waited a while to do this review so we could put some miles in it first. I bought the complete bike for my 15yr son as a reward for him. We ride a lot together and he has developed his own preferences over time as most of us have. First thing noticed was the way it was packaged. VERY nice and secure. Took longer to unpack than to assemble. I've purchased 3 bikes in the past online and have never had issues. 1 BD and 1 Airborne but I think we got lucky this time as this bike came dialed in out of the box! Air in tires. Air in shock. Added pedals and off. It came with a Recon gold that preforms beyond what I expected. The X7 shifts smooth and when he breaks anything I won't feel bad upgrading. We don't have a lot of downhills but the avids work good and have been silent for 350 miles so far. He is super athletic 150lbs and pretty rough but the wheels have not needed any adjustment yet. They will be the first upgrade I'm sure. Overall we could not be any happier. In a nutshell if you know what you're looking for and this fits your needs PricePoint has a hit with this bike. For the record I am not affiliated with them, just a super happy customer. I realize fit is a personal thing but this was super easy and we'll be able to swap out the simple stuff if he outgrows it. Don't be afraid to buy this bike or frame!

Favorite Trail:   Ant Hills

Purchased At:   PricePoint

Similar Products Used:   Airborne Goblin. Stumpjumper Comp.

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by paulmaag a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2013

Strengths:    Best buy for the money ever! Frame is stiff where it needs to be and compliant over hard trail hits. Great control and stability. This is the lightest best riding 29er hard tail for the money...bar none!

Weaknesses:    Tires. But this is normal for manufacturers to put low cost tires on bikes. I replaced the stock set with Schwalbe Racing Ralphs 24. and 2.2, went tubeless and cut 1.3 lbs. off the bike

Bottom Line:
After reading the Tahoe Sux review http://coasttomountain.com/tag/29er/, I pulled the trigger on this bike. I have no regrets!! The folks at Price Point were really helpful and made the purchase painless. I purchased the bike far below $2000 on one of their sell outs.

I want to preface this review with some background. I have ridden MTB since 1983 and have had many, many mountain bikes from rigid, hard tail, and full suspension, both 26 inch and fatbike. I am 6 foot one inches tall and weigh 190 lbs. I've recently been riding my fatbike with a 29er wheel set, so I am familiar with the advantages of a 29er. I select the trails I ride. I don't ride super radical downhill trails. I prefer trail that has climbing with vistas and swoopy descents. This is the perfect bike for such riding.

I've now been riding the bike for 4 months on varied terrain in California, Utah and Colorado. This is a very light bike with nice nimble riding features without being spooky or twitchy in any way. The 29er wheels help shore up stability with the fast 71.5 steering. The bike is very stable on fast descents. I suspect that the same technology that in incorporated in the expensive big name carbon bikes has been put in this frame. Big hits seem to be smoothed out. Climbing is pure pleasure. I really don't miss my 26 inch FS bike ( I rode one of the best). How wonderful it is to ride a nice light hard tail again!

The X9 componentry is pretty good stuff. I only wish it incorporated grip shift instead of the push/push shifters (I believe SRAM stuff works best with their best shifter). The RockShox fork is amazing for a low cost fork. The trick in getting a good ride is in using the settings, especially the lock out settings to prevent fork dive on steep descents.

I made the following upgrades to the bike that changed it from average to superbike. Schwalbe racing ralph tires, titanium seat post, WTB Rocket V saddle, FSA carbon handlebars. The bike is now sub 23lbs.in an extra large size. The bike is so good, I decided to buy one for my wife as well. She rides a 15 inch. The bike has wonderful geometry for her with a highly sloping top tube. She feels it is the best bike she has ever ridden!

Favorite Trail:   Lupine Trail, Crested Butte, Colorado

Purchased At:   PricePoint.com

Similar Products Used:   I've owned bikes from Diamondback, Specialized, Trek, Turner, Salsa, and custom builders.

Bike Setup:   X9 with upgraded tires, handlebar, seat post and seat

Submitted by wasabiboi a Racer

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2013

Strengths:    Lightweight, Great handling, Rolls and rides fast, snappy shifting, rockets up climbs, Pricepoint has amazing customer service,

Weaknesses:    Clearcoat scratches easily, Slant 6 tires front needed to be switched, Online order?

Bottom Line:
I've raced this bike in my local league a couple of times in the past months. Riding it almost everyday, and riding it hard. This is an amazing bike for the price. You cannot find another deal like this anywhere. Although you have to order it online from Pricepoint, they have amazing customer service and will take care of you. I was missing a bottom bracket spacer and pricepoint was glad to pay for the service at my local bike shop. I've gotten faster on this bike and I'm really loving how it rides. The Sram XO was surprisingly better than I expected since I've always been a fan of Shimano. The shifters are very responsive and the brakes stop and modulate well. Stans Crest rims converted nicely. I had to switch the front stock slant six tire with a Schwalbe Racing ralph though. Clear coat gets tiny surface scratches everywhere that can drive some people crazy.

Favorite Trail:   Fullerton Loop

Similar Products Used:   Previous Bike: Specialized Rockhopper 29

Submitted by adumb a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2013

Strengths:    Price, rockshox dual air fork, drivetrain

Weaknesses:    Wheels

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the money, bike hasn't missed a beat in a year of use. Still shifts great. Only downside is the wheel set. After probably three months of use they just done roll well anymore, the loose bearing system I just done like and the set is like 2240 grams which really takes away from the bike. The wheels have stayed perfectly true however which I was pleased with.

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Purchased At:   Price point.com

Submitted by Texasduffer a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2013

Strengths:    Cost/value
Carbon really smooths out the bumps.
Matte black version results in a pretty sexy looking bike.
Internal cables & hoses.

Weaknesses:    Odd sizing/geometry as compared to its competition.
I've got a small creak in the headset or seatpost I need to find & fix.
X7 has its limitations.

Bottom Line:
I didn't buy the complete PricePoint X7 bike, but there wasn't a place to do review for the Razzo SC Carbon frame. Since I'm running X7 on my custom build, I thought I'd drop my review of the frame here.

Frame: Sette Carbon Razzo 29er - 19" matte black
Grips: Sette Lockons
Pedals: Shimano PD-M424
Seat: Charge Spoon
Tires: Maxxis Aspens

The build turned out great. It's a lot sharper looking than I originally thought it would/could be. It's pretty sexy and weighed in at 24.5lbs with pedals, bottle cages, etc.

I took it on it's first real hard ride today and came away pretty impressed. I'm coming from an alum Airborne Goblin and the difference was noticeable. I climbed the hell out of a few hills that have been giving me trouble on my 2 previous mounts. Not sure if that was due to the weight savings (1.75lbs), the slightly different body position/geometry, or just the adrenaline of pushing a new bike.

I crash over some pretty heavy roots on my home trail and all of that felt very muted as compared to my alum frame. My alum frame was pretty jarring over some of my typical sections and I felt none of that today on the new carbon ride. Front wheel on the Sette wasn't as easy to pop off the ground which can be good and bad depending on situation. The bike was really grounded and connected on some of the hairier downhills drops we have.

Once I got comfortable, it felt like I was twisting and turning through the woody tight singletrack faster than usual and on the field straights I was hitting 16-18mph on the computer. Overall very pleased with the $400 I paid for this used carbon frame.

Favorite Trail:   Lake Bryan

Duration Product Used:   1 wk

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Airborne Goblin

Bike Setup:   Noted above

Submitted by Ariel Piedmont a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2012

Strengths:    This review is for the Sette Razzo SC X9 model which has the same frame and hubs but one step down on components (SRAM X9 and EA70 stuff). It's strength is that it is a moderately cheap, relatively light carbon bike with pretty good components, but I wouldn't buy it again. I liked the shipping carton and that the REBA RLT fork came installed uncut with 1.5" worth of spacers. I really liked the 2x10 SRAM X9 drivetrain and QR15 front wheel.

Weaknesses:    The frame, the stock tires, the EA70 seat post, the rear Formula DC 32 hole sealed bearing hub (front was fine and will be used in my next build up) and PricePoint's customer service. The EA70 seat post didn't have the clamping power or surface to hold the supplied Fizik Tundra 2 saddle which had some slick coating on its manganese rails.

Bottom Line:
If you are after a decent looking (maybe overly flashy) carbon hardtail with good components to hang in your garage and never ride, this is the bike for you!
I'm 31, 6 feet tall, weigh 195 lbs, prefer old school cross country trails and have been told that I ride like a pissed off teenager (which I think means that I generally hammer). I've ridden a few steel bikes back in the 90's and most recently a Schwinn homegrown aluminum hardtail. I have a Ti Fuji roadbike and put a lot more computer miles on this then my mountain bikes. With the Schwinn 10 years old and needing its 3rd drivetrain, I decided I wanted a decent mid to upper range 29er carbon fiber hardtail and I didn't want to spend $4000.
Assuming that most of the frames I was looking at probably came from the same group of factories in Taiwan, I bought this because it had the best components for the price. Including shipping to Honolulu I paid about $2200 in May 2012. The bike was easy to assemble and with a quick once over I was out riding in less than an hour after cutting open the box. Immediately I noticed that the Fizik tundra 2 saddle was sliding all the way back. Unable to tighten the EA70 seatpost enough with my multitool I returned to the garage. Even with 8-inch socket wrench and appropriate allen key I was unable to stop the slipping. I called and left two voice messages as well as an email to PricePoint customer service to complain but didn't get a response. I stole the steel rail saddle off my road bike and fixed the slipping problem (the Thompson Elite seat post on the Fuji held the manganese rails fine). PricePoint/Sette must have been struggling for cheap ways to get the advertised weight down on this bike and the stock nearly slick 2.0 tires were useless for any of the wet or dry conditions that I ride here in Honolulu (they might have been OK on smooth fireroads with just the right about of moisture). Within a month of riding (100 miles or so) while hammering a hard gear up a hill I heard a loud crack from the rear hub. I think I broke one of the pawls, because things still sort of worked but it made bad noises and I seems to have lost some engagement points. I again tried to contact PricePoint with no luck. Since it kind of worked I rode it for another month before it catastrophically failed. Unable to reach PricePoint customer service again and not sure that I wanted another of these hubs for the price of free, I built up a new wheel using a DTSwiss 240S (which still worked 6 months later).
Once the saddle and rear wheel were replaced, the bike pretty much worked for a while but I never really enjoyed the ride. Even after switching to 2.20 Kenda Nevegal tires run at 35 PSI (and having never ridden a FS/bike coming from the aluminum homegrown hardtail), I found this bike's rear triangle two stiff vertically. It provided a nice pedaling platform but felt like it was just kicking me the butt every time I sat down.
The bike met is demise two weeks ago (first week of Nov 2012) in a ~15 mile per hour slide out crash while riding around an off camber turn. The handle bars twisted and the shifter pod struck the left side of the top tube making a small series of spider web cracks about the size of a quarter. By the time I gingerly rode the ~8 miles home, the crack had spread along the top and bottom of the tube meeting on the right side separating the front from the back. This being my first carbon bike, I am not sure whether a higher ended name brand frame would have survived this spill, but without a doubt by aluminum Schwinn would have,
I contacted PricePoint and got a real live person named Sean. After viewing the pictures, he offered me free shipping and a crash replacement frame for $2-300 off their regular price if I would pay the $150 to ship my frame back for inspection. Not being one to repeat most mistakes, I'm just walking away. It's almost tax return time and I'm shopping for good used steel or ti frame to swap my components over to (if only the Sette hadn't come with a tapered fork then this might be cheap.)
My final thought is that you get what you pay for. If you want a good X9 equipped carbon bike, spend $4000 or find a low mileage used one.

Similar Products Used:   1996 Kona Cinder Cone 26er
2002 Schwinn Homegrown 26er

Bike Setup:   XC hardtail

Submitted by TahoeSux a Racer

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2012

Strengths:    Light, snappy, rides great.
Solid component spec
5 year warranty

Weaknesses:    Not a big name brand

Bottom Line:
I've had the Sette Razzo SC XX version for about 9 months now. Logged more than 2,000 miles on it in all sorts of terrain and am totally happy with the bike. It's a great deal for the money and I'm convinced that it's on par with any of the big name carbon bikes (probably made in the same factory).

The handling is very snappy, light, and neutral. It loves tight singletrack- don't we all...

I've also written a three part review of the bike on our outdoor blog- tahoesux.com. You can read an extensive review with pics there. Here is the link to my review (hope this is allowed, don't mean to take traffic away from MTBR, but copying an extensive review is a pain):

Submitted by Carlo J Guzman a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2012

Strengths:    very good components at low price, durable, delivered assembled (just needed tune up), light

Weaknesses:    has some flex, frame paint chips easily

Bottom Line:
being my first 29er I wanted something good quality that would not be too expensive. pricepoint has always been good about delivering just that. i was surprised at how light and responsive the bike is. all the drivetrain components are good quality, not the very highend, but definitely not entry level.

the only thing is that there is some flex and I am not sure if it is the wheels or frame or combination. it is a 22" frame so that could be part of it. the mavic wheelset is very strong though - it was only after 9 months of abuse that one spoke broke in the rear wheel and from the nipple, not the hub.

the sette saddle is cheap also, replaced quickly with speacialized toupe. the shimano spd505s it came w are a bit low quality as well, get clogged pretty easy sometimes making it difficult to clip back in.

next upgrade will be a better pedals and wheelset.

Favorite Trail:   Amelia - Miami, FL

Bike Setup:   22" Frame
Specialized Toupe Saddle

Submitted by mike a Racer

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2012

Strengths:    Great weight, great value. This bike rides like a dream. Other than adding pedals, this bike is an out of the box racer.

Weaknesses:    Brakes needed to be bleed.... but pricepoint sent a free brake bleed kit, or offered to pay to get it done. AWSOME!!!!

Bottom Line:
I was a little nervous about buying a bike this expenive over the internet, but I was more than pleased. Like I stated, the brakes needed to be bleed (I'm anal with brakes) and with just one call, and no questions, they offered to pay to get it done at a LBS or send me the bleed kit. I raced this bike 3 days after getting it in the mail. Couldn't be happyer. I still haven't found one cheap or faulty part yet.

Purchased At:   priceopoint

Similar Products Used:   treks, niners, santa cruz

Submitted by East coaster a Cross Country Rider from Tolland, CT

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2012

Strengths:    Light weight, great fit, and bulletproof components complete from Price Point

Weaknesses:    Not crazy about the Kenda Small Block tires, other than that, I haven't found any yet.

Bottom Line:
I'm 5'11', and the medium frame fits perfect. The bike feels nimble, and climbs like a goat! I've ridden this on all the same trails that I ride my Specialized Enduro on, and it performs solidly. I ride hilly, rocky trails here in New England that most wouldn't think of riding on a hardtail, but the Razzo 29er is pretty forgiving. Sadly, the dual suspension Enduro will probably be downgraded to a backup ride now. The Razzo 1.0 will be the "go to" XC/trail ride bike for me.