SE Racing Stout 29 29er Hardtail

• Stem: SE Alloy MTB, 7 Degree Rise
  • Brake Lever: Tektro 313A 2 Finger Alloy F&R

Submitted by TFTRL a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2013

Strengths:    Made of steel, and combined with the 29er wheels it's very forgiving for a rigid bike. Love the Geometry of the 15" model as it's very flickable and makes it easy and fun to bunny hop and land into short manuals, like a big BMX/Mountain bike! I'm actually fit for a more medium size but this bike has been stemmed out to fit me. I actually love the comfort of the seat as well. The Tektro brakes will stop on a dime...so long as they don't get too wet mind you. It's very nimble in the twisty sections and feels as good as the 26ers I've had as far as that goes.

Weaknesses:    No longer made and will be near impossible to replace if it gets stolen or in a bad wreck of some kind. Also, the ONLY issue thus far I've had is about once every time I've ridden it on the trials the chain or something will "clunk". The shop thought it was a loose chain and we replaced with another single speed specific chain. It was all good for two hard rides but came back on the third ride. We re-tightened chain figuring it just got a little slack from the new break in. Again, was fine for another ride, but happened again just today. Maybe the hub? I'll have it inspected again soon. It's minor but this is the "weakness" section and nothing is perfect in this world.

Bottom Line:
I LIKE this bike so damn much! It literally is the first mountain bike I've had that has truly inspired my riding. I ride now more than ever. I've owned the following bikes and this is thee best most connected I've ever been with a bike. My model is the 2011 version by the way.

2007 Raleigh XXIX singel speed rigid

Rocky Mountain with front suspension (can't recall exact model but was in the $1000 price range)

Giant STP

2010 Raleigh Talus 29er Sport

Giant Yukon (dual suspension model)

Also have owned BMX bikes but figured they don't apply other than as I previously mentioned the 15" Stout has a BMX-like geometry. Actually more dirt jump/street park geometry. Reminds me of my 26" Giant STP which was awesome fun but not so good on the trails as the Stout has been. The Stout is rigid and although it's forgiving on the body due to the steel and 29" wheels (keep tire pressure a little pillowy), you still need to relax on it over rooty sections or your vision will bounce. Keeping your body relaxed makes a huge difference on a rigid bike.

I can go on but suffice to say...my bike is a keeper and I've no interest in other bikes for the foreseeable future.

Submitted by TallChris a Cross Country Rider from Columbia, SC

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2012

Strengths:    Simplicity, sturdiness. Surprisingly good v-brakes! Comfy seat that doesn't look like a gel pillow.

Weaknesses:    Tough to keep headset tight, 32x18 gearing is a bit steep on elevation for someone like me just returning to biking.

Bottom Line:
This bike offers a wonderful alternative to costly, time-consuming and frequent maintenance to which I'd grown accustomed on my previous FS 26er (Trek Fuel 100). It allows me to focus on the fun of riding, which I'd lost sight of on my Trek. I knew I wanted a singlespeed after I tried a friend's 'cog and fell in love with it within the first 50 yards of riding. Just spool up the speed and coast.

I scored a deal on this Stout after patiently looking on craigslist (via searchtemptest.com); it had never seen dirt. I will be changing the gearing to something more reasonable for the time being. It's built sturdy enough for singletrack and is equally at home just fooling around the neighborhood riding with my kids. It's a fun bike to ride and surprisingly it hasn't hurt my lower back (thank you, core exercises) even on seriously rooty singletrack. Looking for a diversion or lost the fun of mountain biking? Get one.

Favorite Trail:   Harbison

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Redline Monocog

Bike Setup:   XL frame, 32x18 gearing, clipless pedals, stock otherwise.

Submitted by fromthecoast a Weekend Warrior from Ocean Springs

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2011

Strengths:    Seems to be very, well, Stout and beefy. Rides very comfortably.

Weaknesses:    When upgrading to disc brakes, the v-brake mounts are pretty ugly looking. Bike is heavy out of the box at just under 30#, easily will get higher if you convert to geared and add bigger tires, etc.

Bottom Line:
This bike is a good value. My wheels do need to be trued and possibly dished, but they are not unrideable out of the box by any means, just not perfect. Components seem to be pretty beefy and better than what you would expect at this price point. Not necessarily nimble, but will make a very nice and stable trail platform that should take plenty of abuse. Good intro to 29" bikes

Favorite Trail:   Bethel

Purchased At:   bikesdirect.com

Bike Setup:   1x9, with x7 derailer and x0 twist shift, bb7 185 up front, raceface 100mm stem, and 27" Easton flatbars. Nashbar MTB2 Seatpost

Submitted by MyMilkExpired a Weekend Warrior from Houston, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2011

Strengths:    The frame is outstanding. Steel is real as the saying goes.

Weaknesses:    Wheelset... They need to be trued and dished out of the box. The only other complaints I can come up with are:
- Front wheel alignment when tightening down the nuts. I constantly have problems with the wheel alignment slipping which forces me to re-tighten the wheel or adjust my front disc alignment.
- Rear disc brake tab is thin and causes problems with the install bolts included with BB7 brakes. You'll have to shim the bolt out or buy shorter bolts.

Bottom Line:
Its a great bike for 300-400 dollars. Riding this buy made me want to buy a Canfield Nimble 9, so I did.

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Bike Setup:   Raceface stem and bars, Avid BB7 brakes (185f/160r), platform petals.

Submitted by miices a Weekend Warrior from Portland, Oregon

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2011

Strengths:    Strong, decently light frame.
It's worth upgrading to some extent.
Comfortable geometry.
Rims

Weaknesses:    Front fork or headset is unbelievably weak, it flexes an obvious inch under braking.
Single-speed is for hipsters.
Seat took some getting used to.
Brakes are crap, one drop of water and it's a deathtrap.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike from jenson when they were trying to clear them out, i picked it up for $275 plus some shipping. I bought it because my other bike was stolen, and I would still enjoy permanently maiming the person who stole it.

Anyways this bike is great, I use it for commuting to school and for the occasional XC or singletrack riding. And as I have stated before the drivetrain is already a 9-speed, I was just spinning through the single-speed, it was geared to low even for climbing (32t in front and 16t in back). It was something I planned on upgrading, so I can't complain.

The front fork or headset, I haven't figured out which. Is extremely weak, if I had the money I would replace the fork and headset. The full rigidity of the bike doesn't bother me, I am afraid I am going to snap this bike in half.

The brakes aren't much to poke a stick at, but they are rim brakes I didn't expect much. Just need to change the pads out for something from Oregon.

I also think the rear hub is wearing out, sometimes under power it clicks before it locks. Kind of worries me that there is a defect in the cassette holder (spindle? I don't know what it's called).

Bottom line is:
This bike is an amazing deal for the money, but you get what you pay for. Some of the parts aren't the best, but I do trust the frame and frame maker. And its an upgradable frame to do like most cyclists who maintain their own bikes. If it breaks, fix it; and if you don't like it, change it.

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   2003 Specialized hardrock sport, added marzzochi bomber z1 fr sl 130mm fork (this fork kicks the $#!% out of any fox fork I have used), bb7's, and some random rims. Unfortunately this bike was stolen from me.

Bike Setup:   drivetrain: 1x9 full sram x7

Submitted by DanMach86 a Weekend Warrior from Phoenix, AZ

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2011

Strengths:    Amazing value
Flexibility(1x9, SS)
Very plush steel frame
Decent looks

Weaknesses:    Stock brake setup is weak
Paint is not that amazing
Rear triangle's brake mount requires spacers

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike on a whim when I was stuck in chicago on business for 2 months. It sat at home while I was out traveling until I got home. Once I assembled it I knew it was a good frame and design. I got it onsale at jenson's for about 350 or so because I am short(5'8) and the 15" frame was the best size for me. It has a very cush ride for being fully rigid. I never really notice I am on a rigid.. even when doing some 1 foot drop stair cases and the like. The first mod I did was to add BB7's and thank god I did.

Giving its fully rigid nature I can't just fly off ledges at speed and drop 4 feet without wiping out(more of a personal issue) and the v-brakes would not be able to slow me down. Over all though, for the value it is amazing. I leave my roommate behind on the uphill portions all the time and I am barely behind him downhill, he has a 4" FS bike.

I recommend it.

Similar Products Used:   Rockhopper

Bike Setup:   Stock with 185mm BB7's

Submitted by mcbrain a Weekend Warrior from Shingle Springs, CA, 95682

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2011

Strengths:    Price, good frame design, front fork tracking and stiffness.

Weaknesses:    Brakes, headset, pedals

Bottom Line:
The SE Stout was my recent re-entry into mountain biking.I am pleased with the bike and how it performs. For my money you can get the Stout, upgrade it a little bit, and have a respectable bike. I would not get disc brakes for it. In my mind they are an unnecessary upgrade and they leave your bike looking pretty terrible with the canti bosses still on the frame and fork. Avid S.D. 7's work great, and are cheaper, and weigh less. I have heard of some people having some quality issues, I have not experienced this. My bike is fine. Considering I have spent more money on a BMX bike in the '80's than I did on this mountain bike, I am pretty happy. Buy this bike if you want a good starting point and want to upgrade later or just a fun single speed to thrash around on.

Purchased At:   BikesDirect

Similar Products Used:   owned many h/t mountain bikes in past, this is my first 29er

Bike Setup:   Avid Single digit 7's w/ KoolStop pads. Odi grips, Flat top Niner bar, Weirwolf front tire, reversed nano in back, Sun-Ringle platform pedals, FSA DH Pig Pro

Submitted by Kevin Oriol a Cross Country Rider from NY NY

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2011

Strengths:    Good feel, sturdy, good maneuverability and fun to ride.

Weaknesses:    I'm not a real bike tech so my terminology might be off, but the rear dropout (?) where the rear wheel attaches faces from the back which means that changing a rear flat is a major endeavor. I was thinking of upgrading the bike and use it to race, but with the rear facing dropout, it just won't work.

Bottom Line:
A very inexpensive way to try a 29er. A great bike to get around town (what I mainly use it for). and hopefully to hit some non hilly trails.

Favorite Trail:   Blue Mountain Reserve, Peekskill

Purchased At:   Campmor, Mew Jersey

Similar Products Used:   Fuji Tahoe, GT Outpost

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by VanHalen a Cross Country Rider from Mesa, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2010

Strengths:    Price, has pretty decent components for the price.

Weaknesses:    The pre-assembled parts that are in the box when they ship it to your house are way over-torqued. I had to use automotive air tools to get the bottom bracket out.

Bottom Line:
The bike is awesome value for the money. The crankset that it comes with is actually pretty nice, I only replaced it because I need shorter cranks for my short legs. Do replace the headset though, it was rough right out of the box, and pretty much disintegrated when taking it out of the bike. I can not rate the rim brakes, because I had a nice extra set of hydraulics laying around so I just threw those on there. It took some serious tools though to get the fork off of the bike, and the bottom bracket, the components were so over-torqued. I would definitely recommend just taking the entire bike apart when you receive it. The wheels are pretty light, but since the frame is cro-mo it's a little on the heavier side. Like said in previous reviews, it's hard to bag on the components, since you really can't beat the price. $240 these days might just buy you an old POS frame and wheels, and here's a complete bike that's actually quite nice.

Favorite Trail:   Hawes

Similar Products Used:   Other hardtails

Bike Setup:   Only frame and wheels are stock. Race face evolve xc crankset + handlebars. Ritchey pro stem + pedals + pro carbon seatpost. Cane creek S-3 headset. Avid juicy 5 brakes. Sammy cools supercross seat. Peaty grips.

Submitted by John.M a Cross Country Rider from Niles, Michigan, USA

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2010

Strengths:    Price. Tires have really good traction, and the feel of the bike is solid.

Weaknesses:    I had to take mine into the LBS to get the wheels trued. I've also been trying to isolate a problem in the cog or freehub body that is causing it to oscillate when freewheeling. It's hard to describe, but there basically is a slight wobble in the cog when coasting.

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a cheap single speed to try out, and stumbled across this one. Delivered, it cost me $275 for a 2009 closeout model with a 17" frame.

I'm 6'2", but have short legs (30" inseam). My Specialized is a 19", but I don't have as much standover as I'd like. I have not noticed a significantly different feel to the SE as compared to my Specialized given the smaller frame. I did have to get a longer seatpost because I needed about 1 more inch of seatpost extension, and the stock seatpost couldn't get me there (it's a 300mm). I got a Thomson Elite seatpost with setback that I plan to put some miles on this weekend (have not done any XC with it yet). I'll review it when I get done riding it.

Jim (the last product reviewer) gave me some great tips on setting things up. Be sure to set the bearings right on the wheels. My front brake adjustment was way off, and the wheels needed to be trued. I took it into my LBS, and it was done in no time.

I have been chasing a slight wobble in the rear wheel that appears to be coming from the freehub body. It's not major, but I figured I'd mention it. I replaced the spacers holding the cog in place, and that seems to have helped a little. The guys at the LBS have told me not to worry about it, and I think I am going to take their advice.

Overall, this bike is really fun to ride! The first time I rode it, I felt like I was a kid again - standing up and mashing on the pedals any time I hit a big hill. It was a blast. The ride is pretty good, too. I weigh about 230, and I run about 26psi in my tires. I know that I am dancing with a pinch flat one of these days, but the improvement in traction and ride quality really makes a difference at that pressure. Knock on wood - I haven't had any troubles yet. I'll also say that I don't ever jump the bike more than a foot or so.

The stock brakes are good if the weather is good, and you don't have any water or mud to ride through. I decided to upgrade to a disc because I found one really cheap.

The stock saddle is surprisingly comfortable.

Going from a suspension fork to a rigid fork requires a little getting used to. As I was told when I got this, you'll learn really quickly to follow the "green line" on the trail - the one that avoids the bigger roots and rocks. This is very true. In my other bike, I typically blast straight through those things without any concern. I now am more mindful of my forearms and wrists!

Favorite Trail:   Dr. TK Lawless County Park

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   Nothing, really. My other bike is a Specialized Hardrock 29er.

Bike Setup:   Stock plus SPD pedals, Avid BB7 on the front, and Thomson Elite seatpost.

Submitted by Jim a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2010

Strengths:    The price! Can't beat it. Cool BMX design features on the frame. Good geometry to upgrade to 80mm forks. Great feel from the cro-mo steel.

Weaknesses:    Remember the price! Wheel bearings not greased, and too tight to roll. The brake posts are all one piece and welded to the frame and forks. Now that I've upgraded to disc, the bare posts are Fugly. Careful installing disc brakes! The mount tabs must be thinner than industry standard. The mount bolts for my Avid BB7s rubbed against the rotors. "We don't need no stinking brake pads!"

Bottom Line:
Great price, just be careful setting it all up. As things break, just upgrade like everyone else does. Now you have a custom bike! Great single speed to improve to make it perfect, if you like old school steel.

Favorite Trail:   Trail 100

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   Redline MonoCog 29er, Kona Dawg, Barracuda CudaComp, Lawwill Pro Cruiser. Yeah, I've been doing this for awhile.

Bike Setup:   Added Avid BB7s, 185mm front, 160mm back. Next is Bear Trap pedals, then an 80mm fork.

Submitted by DG_NJRIDER a Cross Country Rider from Northern, NJ

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2010

Strengths:    Nice geometry, steel, feels like you can roll over anything. Rims seem to be strong.

Weaknesses:    Hubs,Brakes, pedal. Front hub is a little loose.

Bottom Line:
For the price you can't beat it, the frame fits me really well. The bike climbs like a goat, some of the componets need upgrading but overall a good bike.

Favorite Trail:   Allamuchy