Scott Scale 970 29er Hardtail

3.5/5 (2 Reviews)

• Frame: SCOTT Scale 29 Alloy 6061
  • Fork: Suntour XCR 29 LO / Coil Spring
  • Headset: Ritchey OE 1 1/8"
  • Shifters: Shimano DeoreSL-M591-10
  • Brake Levers: Shimano BL-M395 Disc
  • Handlebar: Syncros FL2.5 Tbar

Submitted by Jason a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2013

Strengths:    Climbs like a Mountain Goat, excellent on gravel roads and wide clay/metal forestry roads. It also howls downhills if you are brave.
Excellent Shimano Deore Brakes and shifters. Rocket Ron Tyres perfect,. Super stiff frame. Good wheel set. Shimano Octalink Cranks absolutely fine.

Weaknesses:    Front Fork is heavy at 2.6 kilos and to be perfectly honest is terrible on technical single track, it wants to hurl you over the handle bars as soon as you do even a moderate drop.

Bottom Line:
I purchased this bike as I wanted to sample a 29er but not spend piles of money. I would have to say this Bike is fantastic value for money and it rides very well.
I recently raced it in 50klm gravel road type event with 1260m of elevation gain and was 10 minutes faster than on my normal ride which is a Pivot Mach 5 Trailbike. This could also be because I was a bit lazy the last time I did the event!

If I keep the Scott the front fork will be replaced with a Rockshox Recon Gold.

Purchased At:   Avanti Plus Manukau

Bike Setup:   Factory Stock

Submitted by Andre Castro

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2013

Strengths:    The weight, cost and stiffness of the frame.

Weaknesses:    The weight of the fork, crankset, saddle.

Bottom Line:
Very good option.

2013 Trek Mamba or Felt Nine 60 or Scott Scale 970?? HELP!!

In 2011 I purchased a MTB for the first time in a while. I bawt a 2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (26in Wh). Loved that Bike. Ive done the 5 Boro Bike tour and recently the Tour De Queens on it. Its held up great. However, Due to the small wheel, I over tax my body doing high mileage runs. I ... Read More »

Scott Scale 910 or Rocky Mountain Vertex 970 RSL?

Hi guys, I have been in the market for a carbon 29er ht and have it narrowed down to these two. Anyone own either of these bikes? Currently I have a 2010 Rocky Vertex 29er with aluminum frame. Wanted to use it for XC racing and also just for technical xc trail riding/light AM. How do you think ... Read More »