Scott Scale 960 29er Hardtail

4.67/5 (9 Reviews)

• Frame: SCOTT Scale 29 Alloy 6061
  • Fork: Rock Shox XC 32 29 TK Solo Air
  • Headset: Ritchey OE 1 1/8"
  • Shifters: Shimano DeoreSL-M591-10
  • Brake Levers: Shimano BL-M445 Disc

Submitted by Paulsmith55 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2015

Strengths:    Frame is lightweight yet solid, components are great value for the price, Rockshox fork is decent but heavy, Shimano hydraulic brakes work very well

Weaknesses:    Saddle will leave you in pain, rear dérailleur could use a clutch

Bottom Line:
I purchased this after taking a 10 year hiatus from mountain biking. I tried this bike which was recommended to me by my local shop. This bike has no trouble in creek crossings, log overs, climbing, descending or turning. The only downside to the drivetrain is the rear dérailleur doesn't have a clutch. You'll notice this when going fast on a descent, lots of chain slap. The fork has been great so far and I have no complaints, lockout works as advertised on long climbs.

Purchased At:   Team Cycling and Fit

Submitted by Dennis a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2015

Strengths:    Fast, Comfortable Geometry, Good Looking Graphics, Price, Syncros Looks Good, Light Weight without heavy Shimano Deore Components.

Weaknesses:    Nothing so far except for the Tyres, wish it has Racing Ralph Evo instead for Rocket Ron.

Bottom Line:
Had the bike for 9 months and I'm blown out by the difference in ride with my previous Merida Big Nine Team Issue ( Although it's component is far far far better than the Scott), the Geometry is so better. I could have just bought the Frame and Transfer my Merida Big Nine Components,anyway....Upgraded the Shifter and FD to SLX and Fork to Manitou M-30 (got from a bikeshop in a very nice deal talen out from bnew Cube bike) manage to strip some weight and the overall look transform into more agile and fast MTB. Next upgrade... tyres and cassette!

Favorite Trail:   Vlaardingen, Dorst, Loop of Zand, Maastricht-Eben, Bergschenhoek, Zoertemeer

Purchased At:   12Go Biking

Similar Products Used:   2013 Merida Big Nine Team Issue

Bike Setup:   2014 Scott 960 (17), Manitou M-thirty, Shomano SLX Shifter/FD, Cube Clamp-on Grip, the rest Stock Components.

Submitted by JC Foot

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2014

Strengths:    Great geometry and feel. Decent components and a pretty fast bike for the price range.

Weaknesses:    Recommend upgrading to a WTB Rocket V or similar quality seat. Freewheel needed maintenance already (1000 miles or so). And shock (front) is lower end and not necessarily adequate for some technical challenges but fine if you don't ride very technical trails.

Bottom Line:
Good value bike in the $1100-$1500 range. Many good components included but you may eventually want to upgrade wheels, tires, and seat depending on usage.

Submitted by Nelson a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2014

Strengths:    Everything, super fast bike, light, and gorgeous :)

Weaknesses:    Maybe the saddle. The original one is supposed to be a racing saddle but still, I like it and I'm getting used to it.

Bottom Line:
I own this bike since 5 months ago and I love it. I've been trying to get the right fitting but that's just normal. Fast bike, gears are very responsive. Solo air shocks may get a little noisy but I actually like that :) .. Awesome bike!

Purchased At:   Herb Bauer

Submitted by Wolf Thompson a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2014

Strengths:    Lightness, shock, ease of ride

Weaknesses:    Seat

Bottom Line:
I got this to replace my Fuji Nevada 1.3, and there is not comparison, the 960 has to be 5-8 pounds lighter and it rolls over everything with little to no resistance, I have taken it on 4 rides of +6 miles since I got it 5 days ago and it has surpassed all my expectations, it is quick and agile and so far nothing has come close to stopping it, i will try our this on our trails soon but I am sure this will rip right through

Favorite Trail:   camden community college pit

Duration Product Used:   1 week

Purchased At:   Mojo Vineland

Submitted by Jeff a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2014

Strengths:    Value for the money

Weaknesses:    None really

Bottom Line:
Owned this bike 5 months now, and I am in love...the thing fits like a glove, accelerates well, and the price point is great for the components. I have yet to find a flaw with this thing other than weight ( Mine weighs in at 26.9 lbs which isn't too bad for the price I guess) You may find something that fits you better, but do yourself a favor, and do NOT buy a new bike without test riding a Scott...They really don't skimp on anything...frame nor components....

Submitted by Ed a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2013

Strengths:    Bike is light and fast and the price was fantastic for the amount of bike you get. Paid $1,100 ($1,600 w/up-grades)

Weaknesses:    The tires and wheels were upgraded at the time of purchase, so can't really speak to the stock versions. The bike would benefit from having a clutch derailleur as it is a bit clangy on the rough stuff.

Bottom Line:
So far, so good. I am still looking to upgrade, but only for minor weight loss such as pedals, saddle, seat post and singling out the front chain ring.

Purchased At:   Outdoors, Inc.

Submitted by Armyballer

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2013

Strengths:    Fast, take corners really well, handlebar mounted front fork lockout. Flys downhills with amazing control.

Weaknesses:    Saddle, it takes a long time to break it in, at least mine did. The handlebars were a bit wide for me, I had 1cm taken off each end, this sit me more upright and helped with shoulder pain from a prior injury.

Bottom Line:
Bought this bike to get back into mnt riding and racing. I'm a "Novice" racer and a clydesdale so I needed a good strong bike with mid priced componets. This bike has it. I have close to 1,000 miles on it in 4 months. I race it almost every weekend as well as take it on 100mile gravel grinders. Great bike for the money!!!

Submitted by Kasper Andersen a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2013

Strengths:    Stiff and fast frame, good components relative to the price.

Weaknesses:    Sattle, but i think i will get use to it.

Bottom Line:
Was looking for at good entry level MTB and was first considering the Cube LTD 29'er, tried it and it felt ok. But a few days after i took the Scale out for at spin and it felt so much faster. Even though the LTD had at little better components, i liked the frame and design better on the Scale. The shifter work very well, i the shock takes the bumps and brakes do a pretty good job of stopping the bike, i am still fine tuning the shifters, brakes and fork.

For my needs, it is a super deal (MSRP was $1599, i got i for $1379, i fell very confident on it and i am looking forward to taking it out to the woods.