Scott Scale 940 29er Hardtail

4.5/5 (4 Reviews)

• Fork: FOX 32 Float 29 Evolution CTD Air
  • Remote System: SCOTT LRD suspension technologie
  • Headset: Ritchey Comp 1 1/8"
  • Shifters: Shimano SLX SL-M670
  • Brake Levers: Shimano BL-M596 Disc

Submitted by Uncle Rob

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2014

Strengths:    Fast, light, good climber, shifting, fork, AGILE!!!

Weaknesses:    High dollar tires are terrible in loose stuff!!!

Bottom Line:
I'm not one to write reviews but I'm really excited about this bike. After 15 years on 26" tires, I went 29er. Loved the speed. Did not like the handling at all. Did not like $1000 Cannondale. I rode a Jamis 27.5 in a parking lot and loved the quick handling but not the speed. I also rode several more 29ers but they all felt clumsy. I found very little info about Scott Scale 940 so I almost passed on it for some other clumsy 29er. Long story short, I took a chance and ordered this bike to an authorized dealer in Dallas area and drove 5 hours to pick it up. Glad I did! Another parking lot ride. Are we sure this is a 29er? This bike has the agility of a 27.5 and the speed of a 29er. I will tell you though, the tires need to go. They knife in sand and loam and push a little on loose stuff. Still unsure if I'm gonna try 29x2.2 tires on an 18mm rim. Some internet gurus are saying 2.1 is the widest I can go. Others are saying wider is fine. I had forgotten what a good fork feels like. And the shifting, buttery smoothe again. Seat hurts a little but its more my soft butt. Ha! Anyway, I'm feelin' decently fast again and I'm having more fun again. Love this bike and I think you will too.

Submitted by biga6462 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2013

Strengths:    Good components for the price. $1600 for a year end model close out was a no brainer.

Weaknesses:    Fox fork squeaks until it is compressed several times.
Crank arms appear to be low to the ground which causes the pedals to hit roots and other obstacles.

Bottom Line:
This is my first 29er and I love what this bike can do out of the box. The components are nice and the only things I might would upgrade in the future are the wheels and the bar. I switched over from a Trek Fuel full suspension bike and have already increased my riding speed several miles per hour. I had to get used to not having rear suspension, but after a few rides I do not miss it. I will especially not miss the maintenance involved with maintaining the full suspension. Overall I am completely satisfied with this bike and it has made riding fun for me again.

Favorite Trail:   Madrone Trail

Duration Product Used:   1 Month

Purchased At:   Bike Lane

Similar Products Used:   Trek Fuel Ex8, Trek Fuel 70, Cannondale F-400, Trek 4300

Bike Setup:   Stock for now.

Submitted by JMA23

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2013

Strengths:    Light for alloy, fast, efficient and very very stable on downhills and very good component set.

Weaknesses:    Just ONE bottle cage mount due to the geometry of the frame.

Bottom Line:
This is the most efficient bike I've ridden.Climbs effortlessly,descends with confidents and surprisingly handles like my 26" XC bikes. If you’re looking for a big wheeled aluminium framed bike that doesn’t cost the earth and is easy to ride then the Scott’s Scale 940 MTB is a great choice!

Submitted by Jj Bryan

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2013

Strengths:    Super Awesome during Downhill time with this Awesome bike! Comfortable!

Weaknesses:    It's a bit hard to go Uphill with this bike.

Bottom Line:
This is the best bike I had ever bought!

Check out hottest mountain bike products from these brands!