Scott Scale 29 Team 29er Hardtail

4.27/5 (11 Reviews)

The new custom butted 6061 aluminum Scale 29 Team is a lightweight and durable 29” hardtail. With Shimano brakes and drivetrain, and the same celebrated geometry as its carbon siblings, it gives you a great value in a big wheeled bike.

• Frame: Scale 29 alloy 6061
  • Suspension: Rock Shox XC 32 TK 29, 100mm
  • Group set: Shimano SLX / Deore
  • Brakes: Shimano BR-M446 disc

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Grahamlynn1 a Racer

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2013

Strengths:    Light bike for the price, shimano slx components work very well for it, climbs great, and is super fast on the downhill technical sections.

Weaknesses:    Rims are very heavy and not incredibly durable. The rear water bottle cage doesnt fit most bottles and is terribly annoying during the summer time. Obviously; upgrade the wheels and pedals.

Bottom Line:
    Overall: I love this bike and is my first XC bike and I still love it after a year, but looking to upgrade soon and will miss it.

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Submitted by CoreyAhl

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2012

Strengths:    Best components i could find for the price. brakes work great (they squeak but who cares?). shifts smooth. climbs great. fast downhills are effortless. always have fun on it and havent had any problems out of it. 100mm travel rockshox

Weaknesses:    pedals, but most people replace anyways and some bikes dont even come with pedals.

i was hitting some big jumps the 3rd time i rode it and tweaked the wheels a tiny bit. got them re trued and they've been perfect ever since. it was my fault, i didnt check the spokes and the wheels are not really made for big dirt jumps.

also tires are not the best, these are worn out now so ill buy diff ones, no big deal.

Bottom Line:
    i searched around for bikes alot before i bought mine. trek had a good bike for the same price but the scott came with some better components. i have had no problems out of this bike. i would recommend this bike to anyone who wants a hardtail 29er but doesnt want to spend a TON of money.

Submitted by Dibbs

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2012

Strengths:    This is a great bike for hard pack trails and comuting. It is a pretty fast bike too compaired to my full suspension 29er.

Weaknesses:    It is a bit heavy compaired to other 29 hardtails. Also, the components are average.

Bottom Line:
    I am very satisfied with this bike. I bought it for comuting to the college because I didnt want my higher end bikes to be damaged by other bikes on a bike rack. Overall i would recomend this bike to anyone who is new to 29ers or to people who need a great comuter bike.

Submitted by Jake a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2012

Strengths:    weight: very light for a 29er around 26-27lbs

components for the value are just about the best you can find, nice shimano disc brakes, slx derailers.

Handles extremely well and big 29er wheels eat up anything in its way

Weaknesses:    stock pedals are not worth keeping

chain stay protector gets pushed back and rubs on rear casette. (just take it off its velcro)

Bottom Line:
    After demoing a 29er i was hooked. I needed a light hardtail to race with and did lots of research before purchasing the scale. I looked at the specialized carve, santa cruz hardball, and the salsa el mar. The el mar was just a little to heavy with the steel frame, and i couldnt justify spending 1600+ on either the specialized or the santa cruz with the components they had.

The scott scale is worth the price (i paid ~950 at my local bike store) its very sturdy and handles like a dream. It screams up the hill and is extremely efficent. I have not had any trouble with the components, they work very well. Little bit wider handle bars provide better control over the large front wheel.

I am 5'9-5'10 and got the medium. It fits very well, i switched the 80mm stem out for a 100mm.

The scott scale team is a dream to ride and has the best value for an entry level 29er.

Duration Product Used:   1 month

Purchased At:   bikers edge, Utah

Submitted by Mayhemradio a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2012

Strengths:    Drivetrain, brakes, poploc remote, made for big fellas

Weaknesses:    Saddle (one ride then into the bin), slightly lazy steering

Bottom Line:
    Lovely bike. Was my first 29er and I still think an awful lot of it. If the UK had any more in stock when mine was stolen, would definitely have bought again (see my review of Specialized Carve Expert). For a year I was happy and it really rejuvenated my love of xc, mainly because the 29er wheels and XL frame size brought back that feeling of a bike actually fitting me. I am 6'5" and the 26s I had previously always felt were too small for me. Like I was riding a clown bike.

It is quite light for an all-alloy 29er, which was very reassuring. The brakes, drivetrain, derailleurs and poploc remote all worked flawlessly the whole time I had it and I threw a lot of mud at it in that time. I was worried that the spoke / rim / tyre combination felt weak and jelly-like, and that it would eventually result in buckling. I have made one minor change to true the rim in a year, but those fears did not eventuate. The wheelset is a good combo even if it is on the edge of engineering - it works! Climbs effortlessly in the dry - can really lever the body behind it, which is very satisfying.

My only real gripe is a small one - the lazy steering. Picking an accurate route through a tight chicane is not easy - the steering is not intuitive and I never quite got confident to approach chicanes at high speed. I suspect that it's the combination of new geometry, frame size and the 100mm fork that results in a high position for the bottom of the headstock in comparison to a 26. Complete conjecture: perhaps Scott's nervousness over speccing a 29er lead them to include a 100mm travel fork + poploc remote to protect the rims? Maybe in 2012 bike models 80mm air + stiffer rims is the way to go for a 29er? The handlebar grips are a bit 'yesterday' compared to the Specialized BG I'm running now.

The rolling resistance with the Rocket Rons is very very low. Makes for a lovely commute over tarmac. XC a bit more grip would be nice, but that's purely down to tyre choice I think. I was always very assured by the Shimano front hub.

Overall, a beautiful bike that I would definitely recommend to anyone tall who wants quality components from a great innovating company, but doesn't want to splash multiple thousands out.

Favorite Trail:   Grizedale

Purchased At:   Pedalon.co.uk

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Carve Expert 29er

Bike Setup:   Scott Scale 29 Team 2011 XL, Shimano MX30 pedals, Bontrager Gel Seat.

Submitted by MA XC Rider a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2012

Strengths:    Great bike from top to bottom. Can not believe how well it climbs...bike give the confidence to rip up hills!

Weaknesses:    Has not shown me any after the first 30 miles. It would be nice if the bike came with tubeless ready tires. But for the price point the stock Rocket Ron's work well.

Bottom Line:
    Very happy with my purchese, lots of bang for your buck. Scott bikes does a great job with the over all package.

Submitted by stumpy223 a Cross Country Rider from San Diego CA USA

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2012

Strengths:    Frame Geometry (slack head tube and short chain stays)
    Value (SLX/Deore Drivetrain)

Weaknesses:    Stock Pedals are horrid, but thats pretty standard, since everyone upgrades
    Use of white saddle and grips, whoever thought that was a good idea should become a politico...
    Fork is heavy
    Tires came mounted backwards, wtf?

Bottom Line:
    This is my first 29er, and really my first bike in years. I had a 26'er years ago, but gave up mtbing after having issues when hitting objects on the trail. Well the 29er didn't help with my inability to wheelie over things, but thats ok cause I now just run right over them.
    Its a great value when compared to Specialized and Cannondale, but the brakes are an area where scott skimped and I wish they had not, the Shimanos are noisey but they work.
    Never thought that a 1200 dollar bike would be "entry" level, but that just seems to be the way the world is going, between inflation and novice riders thinking we need SLX components anything less than 1200 is thought of as low end.
    If you have the scratch go for the Scale Team 29er, if not the Aspect series is great, and honestly feels better.

Purchased At:   Local Bike Store

Similar Products Used:   Scott Aspect

Submitted by csuarez a Weekend Warrior from Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2012

Strengths:    Lightweinght
    Awesome design
    Great comoponents

Weaknesses:    The seat requires some getting used to

Bottom Line:
    Excellent bang for your buck
    Thinking of purchasing a MTB? Look no more, I definetly encourage you to buy this bike
    It is very light, the brakes are very responsive, the shimano gears and shifters work flawlessly.
    I am never going back to a 26er because I am more confident on my ride
    Buy, buy buy!

Purchased At:   Bicicentro

Submitted by js70 a Weekend Warrior from vva

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2011

Strengths:    I think the color scheme and the seat are about the only two strengths with this bike.

Weaknesses:    Where do I start? I have had nothing but problems with this bike since I rolled it out of the store. Loose front and rear hubs, derailleurs and shifters don’t work well, they shift hard and get caught between gears, both front and rear brakes rub on the disk and squeal, the front tire rubs on the shocks when I turn, the stem and headset already creak like a much older bike, the chain constantly bounces off the chainstay when on the smallest chainring.

Bottom Line:
    BLUF: this bike is a POS and I wish I could return it and get a different one, additionally the store I got it from and Scott have been no help. I had to inflate the tires and turn the rear tire around before I rode it for the first time. I think I got two good rides out of it before it started falling apart. I’m at the point now where I’m afraid to ride because I don’t know what will break next. I saved for a two years to get a new bike and do not have the money to replace it or I would. It is either a lemon or the store I got it from did not put it together properly.

Buy a Trek, Specialized, or Cannondale!

Favorite Trail:   none

Purchased At:   HTO

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Rookie Hector a Racer from Juarez, Mexico

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2011

Strengths:    Light
    strong and responsive fork, after adjusting dont forget it at your LBS, and dont forget seat fitting as well, and then make a small mark in case you have to move it for steep descents
    Hydraulic Brakes
    Derailleurs are good, remote lock is great

Weaknesses:    Brakes: Squeak (not a big issue)
    Tires: Rocket Ron, sometimes the front tire looses a bit of grip, cant ask for much at 220lb and a hard packed mountain in the desert.
    Rims: A bit weak, have had to adjust it twice in barely a month

Bottom Line:
    It is worth if you are on this budget range; (to save a few extra dollars)
    The design is appealing, it is how it drew my attention at first, and after riding it, I didnt want to let it go, if this happens to you (with any bike) BUY THE BIKE YOU LIKE!(and can afford)
    It is what I did, and totally satisfied

Favorite Trail:   Don Rayo Tracks