Scott Scale 29 RC 29er Hardtail

The Scale 29 RC's 949 gram HMX carbon fiber frame and SRAM XX build provides you with the ultimate race hardtail, no questions asked.

• Frame: Scale 29 carbon, HMX-Net fibers
  • Suspension: DT Swiss XMM-100
  • Group set: SRAM XX
  • Brakes: Avid XX World Cup carbon disc
  • Wheels: DT Swiss XR-RS29

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by mtnbikeracing a Racer

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2013

Strengths:    Ride Quality, weight, stiffness, handling

Bottom Line:
    I recently bought a 2013 scale 900 frame and built it up with xx1 it is by far the best handling hard tail if have ever ridden when climbing or descending. My build came in at just under 20 pounds with pedals and cage it just flys uphill. If you a looking for a race bike that is still fun to ride when not racing this is the bike.

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Flash 29er, Yeti hardtail, Gary Fisher hardtail

Bike Setup:   Fox 32 100, Sram XX1, Formula brakes, Truvativ cockpit, DT240/Crest Wheels.

Submitted by a_ratcliffe a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2012

Strengths:    I bought this bike and had it built from the frame up at Team Fitness and Cycling, in Cincinnati. After 90 miles, the frame cracked while riding down a steep incline. The frame was returned to Scott, who said there was a defect in the carbon, and they replaced it under warranty... (shew... ) Anyway, other than that, the bike is the fastest, lightest bike I've ever ridden. Every time I get on the bike, I apologise to it that I won't be going as fast as it wants me to go. It soaks up the trail and is very smooth for a hardtail. I'm 46, so I don't want to feel every bump. I sold my Scott Spark RC 26" to buy this 29" and I'm very happy I did...

Weaknesses:    I read some not so good reviews of the original wheels, so I had mine built with Crank Brothers Cobalt 3 ... ( the carbon 29" were not available, and now I can't justify buying them). The front Schwalbe Rocket Ron got a hole in it and the Stan's couldn't patch it, so I tossed it for a Kenda Slant Six.

Bottom Line:
    This bike is Amazing. I love it. I hope it is durable, because I'm keeping this one for many seasons to come.. The 29" tires roll over everything, and the carbon frame really soaks up the bumps. The acceleration is very quick, I carry more speed thru the turns, then accelerate faster out of the turns... I will update this next year after I do some races in the DINO series...

Favorite Trail:   Westwood Park, New Castle, IN

Duration Product Used:   One season

Similar Products Used:   Spark RC 26" carbon rims. Lefty Canondale. Gary Fisher. They don't even come close.

Bike Setup:   Stock with Crank Brothers rims and pedals. The fork is one step higher than stock. Seat is the Extral Lite one with the Stripper embroidered on it.. Gets a lot of thumbs up...

Submitted by Markm@htseng.com a Racer from Barrie ont

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2012

Strengths:    Great looks, stiff bottom bracket, light, quick and responsive

Weaknesses:    1- poor availability, it's a Scott thing, 2-95 +% of riders will never encounter this but the xx cranks can contact the plastic chain stay guard when putting the power down on climbs. Trim the chain stay protector a bit and things should be fine.

Bottom Line:
    Riding at well over 230 lbs this package has proven to be stiff where it needs to be and amazing at absorbing sharp hits. Acceleration is on demand, not now but right now. You would never know it is an xl framed 29er on the tight single track it is that good. The fox fork works well. With a bit more setup time and fork adjustment this will most certainly be an excellent choice for race day. Carbon in mountain biking?????

Purchased At:   Bike zone barrie

Similar Products Used:   niner hard tails

Bike Setup:   I was disappointed with Scott's decision to switch to QR fork this year. Running the xx setup with the latest fox fit terra logic 15mm axle fork with American classic hoops

Submitted by tureride a Racer from brevard, nc usa

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2012

Strengths:    stiff, light, fast

Weaknesses:    time will tell about durabilty

Bottom Line:
    This bike is faster than the head angle would lead you to believe. This thing is a rocket 21.06lbs with pedals. I love it so far. Time will tell about the durability. I like it alot better than the s-works hardtail I demoed...It could be lighter but I have a endro I-Nine wheels so it could be below 20lbs with different wheels...

Purchased At:   the hub and backcoun

Similar Products Used:   Lots of 29er, epic s-works 29er, raliegh XXIX, transition transam 29er

Bike Setup:   xx with i-nine wheels world cup everythig

Submitted by Silentfoe a Cross Country Rider from Eagle Mountain, UT. USA

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2012

Strengths:    Obviously the light weight, super stiff bottom bracket/cranks, amazingly compliant seat stays. very nicely spec'd.

Weaknesses:    Sub par wheel set for this price point.

Bottom Line:
    I wanted to wait for 1 year before I posted my review on this bike...finally here!

About me, I am not a serious racer but I do about 10-17 races a year depending on my schedule. My weight varies between 180 at my lightest and 205 at my heaviest. I like food! For a couple of years I was racing a 25.5lb Turner Sultan. It was a great bike but I really wanted a dedicated race weapon.

I looked at several carbon HT's and had really fallen in love with a used Cannondale Flash that a local pro had been riding. His bike had been seriously upgraded and I was sold on how it really damped the trail chatter. Unfortunately it was sold out from under me before I could get my funds together. I was pretty bummed but I kept doing my research. It came to my attention that Scott was coming out with a carbon HT that had been designed by the same guy who designed the Cannondale. Apparently it would incorporate essentially the same technology into the rear stays that Cannondale had. Since this was the part that I loved about the Flash I was convinced I'd like the Scale.
    The only problem was the Scale didn't exist yet so I couldn't test ride it or decide if the relatively slack head angle would really bother me. So, leap of faith, I put my money down and waited for delivery. My Scale RC arrived December 30th 2011, the first one delivered in North America.

I immediately went tubeless and swapped out the grips. On the first ride I noticed several things, first, the handlebars have a lot of sweep, second, the head angle was slack but didn't bother me at all and third, the seat stays were just as compliant as the Flash's.

Over time I have grown to love the head angle. It doesn't steer slow and seemed very balanced with the rest of the bike. I have done several long endurance races on it and when you get really tired, it is nice that it is so forgiving. The seat stays work as advertised, about 5mm of give makes a lot of difference as the miles wear on. I love that I can stand and hammer on this bike and it shoots away. As I have the bike currently set up, it weighs in at 20lbs, 12 ozs. That includes pedals and two carbon bottle cages. This bike makes me feel like a climber. I love that the bike came with a remote lock out for the Fox fork and found that I use it often. I am glad that my 2011 model comes with the Fox and not the DT Swiss fork the 2012 does. I have spent time on a couple different DT Swiss forks and didn't care for them at all. I do wish the fork had the Kashima coat that was available at the time but I don't think it was included on OEM forks. If I do upgrade this bike, I'll put a Rock Shox SID on there as I think RS have better adjustability and lower weight.

On durability, the frame has held up very well. At my heaviest, with gear I am probably pushing 215lbs on the bike. It doesn't protest my weight and I haven't put a scratch on it despite several spectacular crashes. I did go a little nuts with the helicopter tape which I would recommend to anyone.

Overall this is an excellent, light weight race bike that I find myself using almost exclusively. My 4.7 inch travel Turner is only brought out for those really rough trails. I am even tempted to sell it to make my Scott my only bike and with the proceeds, throw some ENVE wheels on there.

Buy it with confidence.

Favorite Trail:   Mid-Mountain/Wasatch Crest

Purchased At:   Epic Biking, Saratog

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Superfly, Cannondale Flash, Yeti Big Top

Bike Setup:   Switched to Chris King/Stans wheels, swapped out grips for Ergon GS1 Leichtbau's, Xpedo Ti pedals, Rocket Ron front, Aspen rear.

Submitted by filippob1 a Racer from Delray Beach, FL

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2012

Strengths:    Light, Fast, great geometry.

Bottom Line:
    I was getting tired of getting beat the other pro's on 29ers. I did my research and got the Scott Scale 29rc. I have been racing for a long time and I've probably raced over 10 top racing bikes, everything from light weight 26" hardtails to super light FS. The Scale RC is by far the best bike I have ever raced. There are no faults with this bike. The only suggestion I have is to get properly fit on the bike like I did a Alex's bike ship.

Favorite Trail:   Sunvalley Idaho